getting off ship for home emergency

WJB

Have been on several cruises-all at ports that if needed can disembartk and get a flight home in an emergency-we are going to DisneyWorld for 6 days then the Disney cruise: Sunday at sea-Monday Nassau-Tuesday their private island Castaway Cay then at sea Wed arriving at Port Canavarel early am Thursday. We are leaving an ill family member (we did purchase trip innsurance) If we need to go home immediately I know I can get out of Nassau-what about Castaway Cay-also has anyone actually been in a situation where you had to interrupt your trip and use the insurance-How much of a hassle? Thanks in advance for any responses

I would imagine that getting off of one of the cruiselines private islands would be terribly difficult. I suppose you could call for a helicopter to get you off, but that would be extreme! You would probably have to wait until you reach the next "civilized" port where an airline would be in proximity.

Never even seen a landing strip at a private island........

Your best bet is to plan your itinerary, which it sounds like you are. When my 92 year old Mom was sick we went on our cruise but knew in a worst case scenario, with sea days and the like,,,,,,,we could always get home in 48 hours in a real emergency.

Cannot say about the private island, but I, too, think it would be more difficult than not. As for insurance, please read over your policy in detail and determine what your coverages are so that you know exactly what will and will not be covered. Specifically any exclusions to Family Member pre-existing illnesses and what type or level of medical emergency is covered post-departure. They do vary depending on the policy.

Most folks report that insurance companies handle these things rapidly when the proper proof is provided. But then there was that post last week where someone's Grandmother passed while they were cruising. The death certificate said the grandmother died of 'natural causes', so the insured was having to get something more specific from the Dr. in order to file her claim.

Have been on several cruises-all at ports that if needed can disembartk and get a flight home in an emergency-we are going to DisneyWorld for 6 days then the Disney cruise: Sunday at sea-Monday Nassau-Tuesday their private island Castaway Cay then at sea Wed arriving at Port Canavarel early am Thursday. We are leaving an ill family member (we did purchase trip innsurance) If we need to go home immediately I know I can get out of Nassau-what about Castaway Cay-also has anyone actually been in a situation where you had to interrupt your trip and use the insurance-How much of a hassle? Thanks in advance for any responses

You will probably not be able to get off the disney island but also you will have to pay your own way home, Then you will have to provide the documents your insurance will require to get any money back from them, Some act very quickly, others may take some time like a few weeks or more,so be prepared to have the funds to leave and the passports to leave.

I have heard of medical debark from Half Moon Cay, HAL's private islands in the Bahamas. I don't recall the details.

But, it's a different story when the person being air lifted is critically ill vs a family member wanting to get home. I seriously doubt you could get a 'compassionate' lift.

Castaway Cay does not have an airstrip. According to my friend that works for DCL when we went on the Wonder in 2005, There was very little there in ammenities. There is a caretaker and a handful of people that live there during the season, but mail is brought in by either cruise ship or sea plane. I am sure they do have an emergency helicopter pad, but it wasn't talked about and I never saw it, you can see a majority of the Island from the ship. It takes about 12 hours to cruise from the Cay back to PC and although it might be frustrating, it would probably be more efficient to just cruise back to PC and then fly out. I know that can be frustrating, but by the time you got a copter in to the island or on the boat and flew back to the nearest airport you probably wouldn't be there any faster than if you just took the boat back. Hopefully you won't need this info, and make sure you all have passports, because if you have to fly home fast you will need a passport to do it.

Leaving in the middle of the cruise will also put you in violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act, and result in a fine of $300 for each passenger who leaves. Travel Insurance normally does not cover fines for breaking US laws.

We were on Princess Cays a number of years ago when we got word that DH's father (who had been ill for 8 months) suddenly took a turn for the worse. There was no way we could get off the private island without paying a hugh price for a private helicopter to take us to Nassau to get a flight home. After the guest relations manger checked flights, she discovered that even if we did do the helicopter deal, the flight from Nassau to Miami would get us home to Pittsburgh no sooner than if we stayed on the ship and got off in Ft Lauderdale and took our regular scheduled flight home.

Leaving in the middle of the cruise will also put you in violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act, and result in a fine of $300 for each passenger who leaves. Travel Insurance normally does not cover fines for breaking US laws.

Only if you leave at a different US Port from whence you came without visiting a distant foreign port first. But lets not start that again.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=825534

The poster here asked about leaving from one of the private islands all of which are in foreign countries(Haiti or the Bahamas) so no PVSA violation would occur.

I sometimes am amazed how these posts get off topic. The OP asked if he could get off the island if there was an family emergency. Honesly if there is a family emergency and even if there was a penalty who cares. The emergency would likely be the priority and certainly if the person had to leave the cruise mid way through the cruise there would be other major expesnses such as airline flights back home. Sometimes, I wish folks would stick to the topic.

Back to the OP. Having been to this island I do not think you will be able to get off the island yourself. If this was me, I would contact the cruise line directly to see if they can help you. Good luck.

Keith

I think we should be careful to not state as fact a flat statement upon which OP might rely without having credentials that make us expert and qualified to make that statement of fact.

Philip217 has such expertise.

Other statements here are only opinion unless they choose to identify themselves as Licensed Maritime Attorneys or government officials who are charged with assessing said fine. Of course,no one need identify themselves and it isn't expected but short of that posts stating fact really are only opinion.....to my mind.

I think we should be careful to not state as fact a flat statement upon which OP might rely without having credentials that make us expert and qualified to make that statement of fact.

Other statements here are only opinion unless they choose to identify themselves as Licensed Maritime Attorneys or government officials who are charged with assessing said fine. Of course,no one need identify themselves and it isn't expected but short of that posts stating fact really are only opinion.....to my mind.

none sense. He is more often wrong on this and other issues. he doesn't travel the US much and there are different rules for crew...The law and the regs are a fact.

the PVSA law and reqs are very simple and it doesn't apply when you get off in a foreign country. Why you would interject that into a post asking about getting off on a private island is really out of left field and is wrong as well. there is NO PSVA/Jones Act fine for getting off on a private non-US island. The logistics about it however are a different story.

none sense. He is more often wrong on this and other issues. he doesn't travel the US much and there are different rules for crew...The law and the regs are a fact.

Interpretation of law and statutes are quite variable. That's why we have a Supreme Court. :D ....to interpret the law!

Philip217 is more than able to speak for himself but he does, indeed, deal far more than me and most everyone else here, with U.S. travel/cruising/port/Homeland Security and Coast Guard etc ad nauseum. He is well qualified to respond to OP's question and many here are aware of that. ;)

If you do not respect his responses, that is 100% your perogative and you are as entitled to your opinion as everyone else.

[/b]

the PVSA law and reqs are very simple and it doesn't apply when you get off in a foreign country. Why you would interject that into a post asking about getting off on a private island is really out of left field and is wrong as well. there is NO PSVA/Jones Act fine for getting off on a private non-US island. The logistics about it however are a different story.

can you point to anything that says that getting off in a foreign country implicates the PVSA at all? no neither he nor you can because it only applies when transporting a passenger between two different US ports. the fact that you have an opinion doesn't make it right. Sure the US sSupreme Court can say the moon is made of swiss cheese if they want and still be wrong. Its nonsense that because you like one poster you think he is right and disagree with someone who you obviously don't.

can you point to anything that says that getting off in a foreign country implicates the PVSA at all? no neither he nor you can because it only applies when transporting a passenger between two different US ports. the fact that you have an opinion doesn't make it right. Sure the US sSupreme Court can say the moon is made of swiss cheese if they want and still be wrong. Its nonsense that because you like one poster you think he is right and disagree with someone who you obviously don't.

I'll say it again. This really has nothing to do with the OP's question. I suspect that if there was an emergency that whether or not he was charged a fee for leaving the ship would be irrelevant.

Keith

I'll say it again. This really has nothing to do with the OP's question. I suspect that if there was an emergency that whether or not he was charged a fee for leaving the ship would be irrelevant.

Keith

I don't disagree that is what I said in my first post on the PVSA issue.

"The poster here asked about leaving from one of the private islands all of which are in foreign countries(Haiti or the Bahamas) so no PVSA violation would occur." but I also agree when you have to get off you have to get off charge or no charge...

keith1010,

I agree with your assessment. I would think that most people would react in exactly the same way. When a loved one is sick or dying, who cares the cost of contacting them or getting home to be with them???

But there are several posters on Cruisecritic this week who tell us they are very concerned about the failing health of loved ones at home. They desperately want to stay in contact with them, but tell us they are either unprepared - or unable - to pay the $5 - $10 cost per minute to telephone them from the ship. Even the roaming fee for a mobile telephone was a problem for a few. I find it astounding that money would even be a factor in that situation, but it appears to be true.

If they can't afford the telephone call, I guess the last minute wayport debark, one way airfare, and possible PVSA fine would really be a problem.

As one who has coordinated and executed evacuations in this part of the world I'm ponderingthe proposed qualifications to speak authoritatively...cuz I don't agree with all the statements here....and if you REALLY want to confuse things I await an attorney....

With regard to previos posts: are you (he) a ship Master (unlimited license) with experience coordinating these evolutions with the US Coast Guard or Bahamian authorities and the private entities who might become involved?

I'm curious because I see differences from my experience.....

With regard to the fines that might be assesed...the US regulations/laws in question apply to a vessel picking up and dropping off at a US port. If there is no non-US stop between boarding and leaving....there is an issue. Given the question at hand involves a NON US port....the US laws do not apply. I'm not a lawyer, but was an enforcer.....

To explain...if DCL boards in Canaveral (DCL is not under US flag) and the first port call is Key West, and a person leaves the ship, there is a violation because a vessel of not US flag has transported 'tween two US ports like a ferry w/out a non US port call. That's a no no. If the ship stopped at Freeport, the regulation does not apply (there ARE details)

with regard to other lines.....

It is quite intesting to note that Castaway Cay aka Gorda Cay actually has quite a decent runway, built by the prior owners who used the island as a significant drug trans-shipment point. Sorry, I can't prove that but I did drug CD down there from 70's thru the 90's. Disney has de-activated the runway. But the ruway that still exists provides more than adequate space for landing helo's.

For the most part the day at a private island like CC is the same as a 'day at sea' from my SAR (Search and Rescue) perspective. The US/USCG will make every effort to provide medical evacutation services there, or anywhere in the Bahamas, or anywhere we have resources that can reach, to the best of their ability on a 'not to interfere' basis with other activities (enfuf legal disclaimers there?) {btw...there are often US assets 'forward deployed' there (BA)} The USCG will medivac from a ship at sea, or CC or other Bahamian 'private islands' IF a resource is available, & IF a flight surgeon deems the situation to warrant the risk. This will be for the patient, and if there is space/weight a family member...IF. This is something your tax dollars pay for. Private medivac? $$$$ .... USCG medivac (like a helo hoist off a cruise ship) FREEBIE ..... but don't complain about your taxes next year.

Death in the family and you need a ride home????? Well, you might be able to charter a helo to land on the 'private island' and fly you to the US..$$$$$$.. And I can't comment on if your 'insurance would cover it' (i'm NOT in the insurance business...but I doubt I'D file a claim)..but there IS room on CC to land,,,and most other 'private islands' I'm fam' with.

How do I know this it the way it works? I launched a bunch of these flights from the back of my ships.....and read the after action reports of hundreds more.......

Archived