Live from the Monarch - Panama Canal repositioning

rubrrick

Erika,,

Not sure why you would need the clothes pins.:confused: .... The tub wall in the Monarch JS. is quite high so the curtain stays in place. It also has better then average water pressure....:D

Just something I remember reading before our first cruise. But after reading the replies, I imagine they were talking about non-tub curtains.

Thanx for the replies. The less 'extra' stuff I need to pack, the more room I have for 'other' stuff. LOL

Erika

I just joined and I love these reports!!! We are taking the Monarch on November 21st from Port Canavral. Can I ask a dumb question? What do they do in dry dock---clean and repair the ship? I take it that after that it goes to CC. Thanks for the entertaining info!!

rnali

I just joined and I love these reports!!! We are taking the Monarch on November 21st from Port Canavral. Can I ask a dumb question? What do they do in dry dock---clean and repair the ship? I take it that after that it goes to CC. Thanks for the entertaining info!!

rnali

Welcome rnali!

We are on that cruise too. Please join us on the Roll Call.

Gail

Good afternoon everyone and happy day 9 aboard the lovely Monarch of the Seas.

Larry.......we will be going thru the Canal on Tuesday......and by Monday, that's day after tomorrow, I'll have the proper times and the website that Captain Karin recommends.

Back to partly cloudy conditions today and 6 foot swells, after last nights rain storm.

Something that is being tried on seadays is lunch in the main dining room, with an ala carte salad........made up by the cooks and waiters. Get in line, as point out what you want......they put everything in a salad tosser (stainless bowl) along with the dressing of your choice....and then chop it up and deliver it in a large salad bowl. The shrimp are large...and they are not skimping on anything. It just started a couple of days ago, and the word is out.......and the line today was unbelievable!!

There are two more chefs training under the Executive Chef, Eugene. The food is excellent!! Even the WJ is serving eggs benedict, and steak and eggs.

Tonight is the second D/D+ and suite get together in the VCL. It's not as long as on the larger ships....but still an hour of free liquor and appitizers is great!!

Tomorrow is Costa Rica.....Puntarenas.

Stay tuned for the update on the Panama Canal and webcam.

I'd say that I'm missing all of you.......but we really are having too much fun just enjoying my favorite hobby........cruising!!

Rick

We will be sailing on the Monarch on March 9, 2009 out of Port Canaveral.This will be our first cruise on a Sovereign Class ship. We have sailed twice on The Mariner of the Seas, and really love that ship. The cruisers in LA are getting a truly fantastic ship.

Have seen some photos of the ship and are looking forward to the cruise. She looks like a beautiful ship. Is there any recommendations that we should know about her, like, best photo spots, best views for port arrivals, best bar, etc? Hopefully, this cruise will hold us until we can book on Freedom OTS.

We will miss Mariner.

Rusty & Cindy

We will be sailing on the Monarch on March 9, 2009 out of Port Canaveral.This will be our first cruise on a Sovereign Class ship. We have sailed twice on The Mariner of the Seas, and really love that ship. The cruisers in LA are getting a truly fantastic ship.

Have seen some photos of the ship and are looking forward to the cruise. She looks like a beautiful ship. Is there any recommendations that we should know about her, like, best photo spots, best views for port arrivals, best bar, etc? Hopefully, this cruise will hold us until we can book on Freedom OTS.

We will miss Mariner.

Rusty & Cindy

On of my favorite spots for sailaways, if you don't have a balcony cabin, is one of the aft decks. You can get to them from Decks 11 or 12, or you can cut through the gym and go out the back door. Take the stairs down to deck 8 and there are about a half dozen loungers, which were seldom occupied on the 3-night itineraries. For coming into port, I wouldn't know, as I'm seldom awake, but you might try Deck 12 all the way forward.

I love the Schooner Bar. I don't know who the entertainers in there are now, but it's been piano or guitar music, the chairs are comfortable, the views are great, it's non-smoking and the decor is really cool - lots of wood and old ship memorabilia. The bartenders rotate every 2 weeks, so it's tough to know whether they'll be awesome or merely good. Bolero's is fun at night for salsa and Latin dancing (assuming they've kept that scene), either doing or watching, whichever is your pleasure.

Photos, I don't much like those, either, so I can't help you out. But the rigging in the Schooner Bar is a nice background. I have some great shots of other people there.:)

Thanks so much for the constant updates. My family and I just booked the MOS for Jan 2 sailing, so it's great to hear the things getting done. I have sailed SOS twice and was last on her in Aug. I saw the post above about where the best spot is coming back into port......well on SOS I have always ended up on Deck 11 and 12 sipping coffee right towards the bow....real quiet and relaxing watching the light of Port Canaveral while coming in....well kind of, last cruise....there was a party still going on around the pool at 5:30 in the morning:eek: :eek: :eek: I have no idea how those people ever made it home:eek:

Keep up the great reports and make sure they are doing a good job carpeting for us:D especially on deck 9 ....THANKS AGAIN!!!

Something that is being tried on seadays is lunch in the main dining room, with an ala carte salad........made up by the cooks and waiters. Get in line, as point out what you want......they put everything in a salad tosser (stainless bowl) along with the dressing of your choice....and then chop it up and deliver it in a large salad bowl. The shrimp are large...and they are not skimping on anything. It just started a couple of days ago, and the word is out.......and the line today was unbelievable!!

We had this on the Jewel in August and we loved it. We were onboard for 24 days (B2B) and a salad hit the spot. They make the salad right in front of you and you tell them what you want on it. It was a huge hit.

I also had the salad bar on Sovereign. The Maitre 'D told us that the reason they stopped doing the pasta made to order station was that the pasta got dried out and was highly flammable for a flash fire, so RCI quickly ended it. He didn't say if there was an incident on a ship or not to make them discover this.

Thanx Rick --love hearing about your Monarch adventure thru the canal-

When we went thru the Panama Canal on the Radiance, it shimmied as it went thru the gates - - some minor scratches - no big deal - what's the clearance on the Monarch? -- and it was very very HOT in Costa Rica - this was in March. Corkey Carol

Rick

They were doing this same salad option when we were on the Vision a few weeks ago. They were really great tasting and you're so right...the shrimp were large and yummy!

~Jill

Thanx Rick --love hearing about your Monarch adventure thru the canal-

When we went thru the Panama Canal on the Radiance, it shimmied as it went thru the gates - - some minor scratches - no big deal - what's the clearance on the Monarch? -- and it was very very HOT in Costa Rica - this was in March. Corkey Carol

I took pictures of the scrape on the sides of Radiance after we went through the canal. Really enjoying the live reports and can't wait to sail out of Port Canaveral on the Monarch.

I took pictures of the scrape on the sides of Radiance after we went through the canal. Really enjoying the live reports and can't wait to sail out of Port Canaveral on the Monarch.

It was something to see the ship SQUEEZE thru - kinda' wanted to help it out by pushing it myself... they painted those scratches real pronto afterwards!! Corkey Carol

They were doing this same salad option when we were on the Vision a few weeks ago. They were really great tasting and you're so right...the shrimp were large and yummy!

~Jill

Hey there Jill -- never did do the pasta buffet in the DR but I know I will do the salad - can't wait - one more week!! Corkey Carol

Great reports Rick - keep them coming! Tell Bobbie hi and also Doris. Miss you all.

We were just looking at the great prices on Monarch out of Port Canaveral - wow - we were thinking it would be fun to go on the 3 day over weekend after New Years. They have a great military rate right now. The problem is the air fare - the air fare every where is getting outrageous. Anyway - is anyone else planning on going on the Monarch on New Years? (2nd of January).

We'll be watching you come through the canal on tuesday! Have fun. Mary (and Dennis)

Happy Sunday everyone!! We are sitting at the dock in Puntareanas, Costa Rica..........with Celebrity's Infinity docked next to us. They have just finished the Canal and are headed north.

Bobbie and I walked the town......as it is, and had a lunch at a local eatery. The prices are in Costa Rican......I should have asked the exchange rate.....but thought it should have been less as most of the crew were eating there as well. The food was good, the prices turned out to be outragous!!

Weather has been partly cloudy......to a heavy downpour...and now back to cloudy..........and humid!! My shirt is off to the cleaners.:)

Captain Karin was not a happy camper with the port. The large tires that are used as fenders are leaving major black marks.....and since we have more of a tide level than I realized......we have about 8 feet vertically in about 8 different parts of the hull. There will be cleaning and painting shortly!!

We head toward the Panama Canal tonight......arriving at the Bridge of Americas somewhere between 6:45 and 7AM......Panama time, Tuesday morning. That is GMT minus 5 hours. The ships time will be the same as Panama time.

We should be at the Mira Flores Locks at around 8 AM and the Gatun Locks sometime between 16 and 1700 hours........that's somewhere between 4 and 5 PM.

The webcam that Captain Karin gave me is www.pancanal.com

That should give webcams for all locks....that is panable!!

I can update you later tomorrow as to a more exact time.

Hi to all my friends and NOOTS!! Wish you all were with us!!:) :)

Rick

Happy Sunday everyone!! We are sitting at the dock in Puntareanas, Costa Rica..........with Celebrity's Infinity docked next to us. They have just finished the Canal and are headed north.

Bobbie and I walked the town......as it is, and had a lunch at a local eatery. The prices are in Costa Rican......I should have asked the exchange rate.....but thought it should have been less as most of the crew were eating there as well. The food was good, the prices turned out to be outragous!!

Weather has been partly cloudy......to a heavy downpour...and now back to cloudy..........and humid!! My shirt is off to the cleaners.:)

Captain Karin was not a happy camper with the port. The large tires that are used as fenders are leaving major black marks.....and since we have more of a tide level than I realized......we have about 8 feet vertically in about 8 different parts of the hull. There will be cleaning and painting shortly!!

We head toward the Panama Canal tonight......arriving at the Bridge of Americas somewhere between 6:45 and 7AM......Panama time, Tuesday morning. That is GMT minus 5 hours. The ships time will be the same as Panama time.

We should be at the Mira Flores Locks at around 8 AM and the Gatun Locks sometime between 16 and 1700 hours........that's somewhere between 4 and 5 PM.

Rick

WOW! What fun!

Thanks for the report. After the canal, where is your next stop??

Rick

Hi Rick,

You are in one of my favourite countries, Costa Rica. We usually go to the other side though and take a bus trip to the side you're on. Did you get to see the volcano? Last time we were there we went to the hot springs. DH took off his shoes, which he rarely does, and promptly stubbed his tow. :( However, the hot springs are so nice!!!

We will be watching Tuesday morning. Should be fun... Have a great time that day, I know first hand that it will be a long day, but it will be very interesting.

Rick-- Tell Trudy that Randy and Lori said hello.

Archived