Live from the Monarch - Panama Canal repositioning

rubrrick

Rick: How fast have you been going? I too have thought that the engines must be saying, 20 knots???? Whadda you mean 20 knots?

I suppose I should fix my cruise count-downs and tally...You can tell I'm a lurker.

Hi Don! First time I have seen one of your posts!:p

Hey Rick! I have put a note on my palm pilot to remind me to look for you on the webcams on the 28th! Any idea what Captain Sullivans next assignment is since it obviously isn't on the Monarch anymore? jc

Huh??!!??! As far as I know Monarch's masters will be Capt Lis and Capt Rick. Capt Karin may be replacing Capt Thore on Jewell when he leaves for Oasis.

Huh??!!??! As far as I know Monarch's masters will be Capt Lis and Capt Rick. Capt Karin may be replacing Capt Thore on Jewell when he leaves for Oasis.

Thanks, so Capt. Rick will be back on the Monarch later on? I didn't know if he had gotten a new assignment or not.

jc

Hi Rick, I've been crazy busy and just found this thread. It was such a pleasure for Deanna and I to meet you and the rest of the great CC folks on the 10/10 last 3 day cruise out of San Pedro. We really appreciate what you did for us all. :D

Thanks for posting live. I will follow the rest of your journey.

Happy Tuesday everyone!!

Hi JC and Celia!!

We seem to be back on track as far a timing for the next port. Captain Karin gave me a sheet on when we will be at the American Bridge, which is about 6:30AM. However.....I wonder if we will be on Panama time or ships time. She had us on ships time yesterday in Puerto Vallerta, which was an hour off of PV time.

She also gave me the name of the Panama Canal website that crewmembers send home for family to watch......but it's up in my cabin, so will have to pass it on tomorrow or day after. We are still a ways from the canal......so have time to post it.

Today the seas have been very calm......a very nice swell...and tropically humid. It's the first day that I have walked onto our balcony and my glasses have fogged up!!

Crewmembers are busy on the bridgewings......welding in place the piping and steel for canvas cover.........as is required by the Panama Canal pilots, to keep the rain off......or sun off.....whichever the case may be.

Last night the WJ had a mongolian bbq.........excellent food!!

Also...last night, members of the crew started recarpeting the main staircase. It all happens between midnight and 4AM so not disturbing the passengers.

More tomorrow!!:)

Rick

Rick! How wonderful to read your post today!

I'm glad to hear they are doing the work during the "ZZZZZ" time for you passengers. I'm looking forward to seeing you go through the canal. That should be fun!

Have a "swig" for me and enjoy the ride! Please give my regards to everyone. I miss all of you and it's hard to be home doing laundry! LOL! :D Big hugs to all and especially Trudy!

I hope that's true and the Monarch does get Capt Lis. We sailed with her across the Atlantic last month from Harwich to Boston. It was her first command as Captain and when we docked in Boston she was going home.......to get married. :) At the time she didn't know what her assignment would be when she came back after vacation. We really enjoyed talking with her and would love to sail under her command again.

We are having cruise withdrawal and would be on the Monarch next week if she were still here. :mad:

Rick - thanks for posting. We'll be looking for the Monarch as she transits the canal.

I hope that's true and the Monarch does get Capt Lis. We sailed with her across the Atlantic last month from Harwich to Boston. It was her first command as Captain and when we docked in Boston she was going home.......to get married. :) At the time she didn't know what her assignment would be when she came back after vacation. We really enjoyed talking with her and would love to sail under her command again.

We are having cruise withdrawal and would be on the Monarch next week if she were still here. :mad:

Rick - thanks for posting. We'll be looking for the Monarch as she transits the canal.

wasn't Captain Lis GREAT!!!! I would love to sail with her again. Hi Suzy

Happy Tuesday everyone!!

Hi JC and Celia!!

We seem to be back on track as far a timing for the next port. Captain Karin gave me a sheet on when we will be at the American Bridge, which is about 6:30AM. However.....I wonder if we will be on Panama time or ships time. She had us on ships time yesterday in Puerto Vallerta, which was an hour off of PV time.

Rick

Can you give us this in some time that reflects those of us not on a cruise. IE can you convert it to EDT or CDT or MDT or PDT? :D I want to make sure I know the correct 6:30am!

jc

I would be willing to be bet that ship's time will equal local time when they get to the Canal and Panama is Eastern STANDARD Time year 'round. If they have the camera looking down the channel from Miraflores Locks she should come into view around 7 EST. If they leave it in it's "normal" position, upper level, looking towards Pedro Miguel, it will come into view sometime after 7:30. Times are approximate... too bad you just can't set the ol DVR:(! I believe the high def camera at Miraflores is a fixed camera showing the upper level, but that should make a great screen capture.

PS What date does the Monarch go through the Canal?

We seem to be back on track as far a timing for the next port. Captain Karin gave me a sheet on when we will be at the American Bridge, which is about 6:30AM. However.....I wonder if we will be on Panama time or ships time.
Please clarify this ASAP for us!

Crewmembers are busy on the bridgewings......welding in place the piping and steel for canvas cover.........as is required by the Panama Canal pilots, to keep the rain off......or sun off.....whichever the case may be.
What are they...wusses????

Last night the WJ had a mongolian bbq.........excellent food!!
Oh oh oh oh ohhhhhh!!! I love Mongolian BBQ, BD's Mongolian is my favorite place! Tell the Revenue and Marketing manager that RCI should put this as a specialty restaurant on all their ships...and this is one I'd be glad to pay extra for! You can eat healthy too!

Rick, thanks for your reports - much appreciated. Next best thing to being on a cruise. Will try to tune in on the 28th.

Jean and Don, thanks for the pictures. Truly a sad experience watching her leave SP for the last time. I don't know if you remember us, but we met on the 3-nite 6/13/08 sailing. It was a pleasure.

Wusses??? We don't need no stinkin wusses!:D

Live from in the terminal at Acapulco......we are still on ship time, and cant figure out why Captain Karin cant keep us on local time.

For those that asked........we started out at around 18.3 knots until we ran into some engine problems. 18.3 knots for a ship that is loaded with barnacles is not that bad. We are not cruising at somewhere between 15 and 16 knots......with an engine shut down.......and are still on time.

Lorna and Celia.......Bobbie misses you two........and wishes the the two of you were with us. She sends her best.

Jean......we took Trudy to the cliff divers and then lunch today. She says "hi".

Weather remains warm.......cloudy today and very humid!!

JC......Ill have answers for you on the time zone for the Panama Canal. Tomorrow is a day at sea, then Guatamala.....day at sea and then Costa Rica.........then another day at sea and then the Panama Canal. That means that we will be entering the canal on Tuesday!!

Nancy..........wish you were with us!!

Thanks everyone for your interest as we take this old lady down the coast and thru the canal. She is doing well, but the staff is missing the 3 4 night cruises..........as they have so many things to do for us........as well as getting the ship ready for drydock.

More tomorrow!! Hi to all of my NOOTS friends!!:D

Rick

PPS.....these Mexican keyboards are driving me crazy!!

Live from in the terminal at Acapulco......we are still on ship time, and cant figure out why Captain Karin cant keep us on local time.

For those that asked........we started out at around 18.3 knots until we ran into some engine problems. 18.3 knots for a ship that is loaded with barnacles is not that bad. We are not cruising at somewhere between 15 and 16 knots......with an engine shut down.......and are still on time.

Lorna and Celia.......Bobbie misses you two........and wishes the the two of you were with us. She sends her best.

Jean......we took Trudy to the cliff divers and then lunch today. She says "hi".

Weather remains warm.......cloudy today and very humid!!

JC......Ill have answers for you on the time zone for the Panama Canal. Tomorrow is a day at sea, then Guatamala.....day at sea and then Costa Rica.........then another day at sea and then the Panama Canal. That means that we will be entering the canal on Tuesday!!

Nancy..........wish you were with us!!

Thanks everyone for your interest as we take this old lady down the coast and thru the canal. She is doing well, but the staff is missing the 3 4 night cruises..........as they have so many things to do for us........as well as getting the ship ready for drydock.

More tomorrow!! Hi to all of my NOOTS friends!!:D

Rick

PPS.....these Mexican keyboards are driving me crazy!!

Are you referring to ones attached below the water line or the ones onboard:D :D

Archived