Live from the Monarch - Panama Canal repositioning

rubrrick

I just joined and I love these reports!!! We are taking the Monarch on November 21st from Port Canavral. Can I ask a dumb question? What do they do in dry dock---clean and repair the ship? I take it that after that it goes to CC. Thanks for the entertaining info!!

rnali

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You'll enjoy all the wonderful info here.

We are going on the Monarch on Dec 1st 2008, out of Port Canaveral to celebrate our 20th date anniversary...

We cannot wait!!!....This will be our first cruise!:) :) :)

Welcome to you as well. I remember the thrill of my first cruise. You are going to love it.

Rick thanks for all the great reports.

We are going on the Monarch on Dec 1st 2008, out of Port Canaveral to celebrate our 20th date anniversary...

We cannot wait!!!....This will be our first cruise!:) :) :)

I am jealous!! We used to enjoy those 4 day sailings on the Monarch - and Congrats! you will LOVE cruising and you will be hooked!! Corkey Carol

Happy Monday.......and day 11 of our cruise that will end with the morning of day 17!

When we get off......the Monarch will proceed to her drydock, and for those that are planning on coming aboard in November....much of her will look new......at least the carpeting will.

We are going thru a major rain squall......with 50 knot winds. It's tropical, and by the time I finish writing this......it will be calm again.

We may or may not have a bit of noro onboard. Right now it's just an advisory......telling everyone to wash their hands often! Also...it was evident this morning when we were having the C&A Platinum, D & D+ party. All of the officers had their hands behind their backs in the reception line. I won't know more for a day or so. If it is a Noro virus outbreak........it will be the first in 5 years on the Monarch. We are all hoping that it's the food from Costa Rica......and will pass shortly.

Speaking of the C&A get together.....Bobbie and I found out that we had the most cruise credits onboard......and were awarded a bottle of wine. Some of you old timers missed out on a really great bottle!!:D :D

Captain Karin updated our arrival at Mira Flora locks as to be around 8:30 to 8:45 tomorrow morning. She may get in early.....as she is trying to convince the Panama officials that "ladys" go first!!:D

The food continues to be above the norm for RCCL. We all have been talking about the creativity and wonderful taste of what is being served up from the galleys.

If I hear differently on the canal time....I'll jump on tomorrow morning.

I'm off to enjoy the great lightning show!!

Rick

Happy Monday.......and day 11 of our cruise that will end with the morning of day 17!

When we get off......the Monarch will proceed to her drydock, and for those that are planning on coming aboard in November....much of her will look new......at least the carpeting will.

We are going thru a major rain squall......with 50 knot winds. It's tropical, and by the time I finish writing this......it will be calm again.

We may or may not have a bit of noro onboard. Right now it's just an advisory......telling everyone to wash their hands often! Also...it was evident this morning when we were having the C&A Platinum, D & D+ party. All of the officers had their hands behind their backs in the reception line. I won't know more for a day or so. If it is a Noro virus outbreak........it will be the first in 5 years on the Monarch. We are all hoping that it's the food from Costa Rica......and will pass shortly.

Speaking of the C&A get together.....Bobbie and I found out that we had the most cruise credits onboard......and were awarded a bottle of wine. Some of you old timers missed out on a really great bottle!!:D :D

Captain Karin updated our arrival at Mira Flora locks as to be around 8:30 to 8:45 tomorrow morning. She may get in early.....as she is trying to convince the Panama officials that "ladys" go first!!:D

The food continues to be above the norm for RCCL. We all have been talking about the creativity and wonderful taste of what is being served up from the galleys.

Rick

hopefully it isn't noro & IF it is, hopefully the drydock will get rid of it!!! we sail on the first sailing after dry dock.

isn't it fun to be the one with the most cruise credits? when we were on the Rhaps in ALasak, my sister & bil were thones & what treatment. hoping we might be on the Monarch as there are only 3 of us on the roll call!!!!

Thanks for keeping us posted

Rick

Rick - is that local time? Wasn't sure if that is equal to Central, Mountain or Eastern Time. Thanks!! We will be watching in the morning. You and Bobbie need to be sure to wave at us! Mary (and Dennis)

One of my friends just got back from a cruise and she had the most cruises - Moet Chandon for her -- hmmmmmmmm... nice huh? Corkey

that's what we had on the Rhapsody--hmmmmmmm

Hopefully it's not a virus, but if it is hopefully it will be gone before we take our 3 year old on her first cruise on her Nov 10.

hey, so are we. there is a little bitty roll call--only 3 of us posting. come join us http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=16773741#post16773741

Mary, Rick said that the Monarch should be at Mira Flores Locks around 8:30 AM unless the schedule changes. At GMT minus 5, that would be putting it three hours earlier for us West Coasters. (GMT minus 5 is basically New York time.) Hope this helps. I guess it is early to rise for us!!!

Monarch usually gives a nice Gavi (Italian white) to the most-travelled cruiser. It is a nice bottle of wine, indeed! Some cruisers with 100+ got a bottle of Moet, so they must save it for that.:)

Jean, I really liked that bottle of Gavi! Got it a few times! Still have one in the fridge. :)

For those who don't get up early to see the Miraflores locks transit live, the web site may store images of the last 20 ships to go through, so if you look soon enough in the morning, you may be able to see an "instant replay" of Monarch's transit.

Rick

Rick, I'm really enjoying your posts.

Those of us in Claudes, on the last LA sailings, may have an insight on the cause of the noro (which, hopefully, it is not) ... if Elwood is still working in the Dining Room! :eek:

I hope that you, Bobbie and Dorass are well! Take care! ~ Lorna

Archived