HELP need advice!!! Cruise is paid but should we go???

cmarrero1014

Alright Ya'll, Advice Time.

DW and I booked a cruise on CCL back in June when the economy was in a much better place. We paid off the cruise, in cash, six weeks ago and we have plenty of spending money set aside (probably will not use half of it).

DW was let go from her job over a week ago because her company has been performing poorly and can no longer support her salary. Also, I received the e-mail today saying my company will have to start layoffs and I honestly know I will be gone sooner than later.

Do we:

(A) still take the trip or

(B) cash in, cut our losses, and get a 50% refund?

Both DW and I are 27 y.o. with zero debt except car payments. We have enough money in savings (on top of what we have saved for cruise) to last us a couple of months if neither of us can find any type of work. I totally realize if her or I are extended an offer and the only option to start is before the trip then good-bye cruise.

Oh and the wild card... we booked this trip with another couple.

Thanks and all responses are highly appreciated.

Its paid for and you are obviously within penalty period, so Id just go and relax and then come back ready to hit things hard to look for work. Worse comes to worse, there are always jobs even if not up to your level. At least in Texas there are jobs. They are raising my rent this next year again, and dont show this as one of the states being hurt with the economy. Might be worse where you are.

Id go and dont spend extra money on your cruise. You dont need to drink, smuggle some booze if you cant enjoy a cruise without it. You can bring one bottle of wine each. You dont need to buy souveneirs. There is no reason you cant walk around the ports and window shop, or at most take a cheap taxi to a free beach. We can enjoy a port and only spend $20. Just dont gamble either if you might need the money. The pools are fun. Go and enjoy the free stuff.

I wouldnt spend the extra money on extras on the cruise, but Id still go.

I'd normally say "cancel" - except for those friends.

I'd edge around the question with them. Obviously, if you say, "We want to cancel," good friends are going to say, "Go ahead, we'll be fine," no matter how they actually feel.

I'd value your friends' opinion over those of anyone on this board.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I agree with firefly that you should go since it is paid for. As for starting a new job before the cruise, if you receive an offer, try negotiating the time off before you accept it. The worst they can say is no. Good luck to you!

You're going to have to do some soul searching on this one ... Only you know if this will cause you problems or guilt/anger in a few months if you are in a bad financial situation.

We are in a very similar circumstance. I lost my job a couple of months ago and just started working again, but at just over half my old salary. DH's company is doing enormous layoffs in the next two weeks and we are pretty sure he will be cut. We have savings to last at least 18-months. I'd like to sail, but DH is so incredibly stressed about his job, the state of the economy and the upcoming election that I think he would beat himself up if we went on a cruise and then he couldn't find a job for a year. Not everyone gets that stressed (I certainly don't), but you two will have to have an honest discussion together and see what works for you.

Good luck with the job situation, and if you go on your cruise, enjoy every minute!!!

I would try and do the trip. Since it is paid for and you will loose money if you cancel. Consider working temp until the cruise and then come back from your trip and put all your energy into finding new jobs. Maybe go light on spending while on the cruise so you come home with most of your spending money. Let us know what you decide.

Carol

If I were in your position-young, no bills, money in the bank etc-I would GO! It would be different if you were charging the cruise and had a ton of credit card debt. You planned this trip and are looking forwar to it. Take the advice of a grandmotherly type and GO.

At 27 hopefully your overhead is low and you can get through this time without too much difficulty. At some point the economu will turn around. It may take some time, but eventually things will pick up again. The only reason not to go on the trip is if you think you won't be able to enjoy yourself much and will be thinking about what waits for you back at home.

Thanks everyone for your input and advice.

As far as our friends (E + his DW), they know our sticky situation and would not be at all offended if we did have to back out. E and I met when we were 13 and grew up on the same soccer teams, shared a locker in HS, and dormed together in college.

We are all driving from Atlanta to Tampa, spliting the gas and the hotel.

We do have the normal bills: rent, insurance, power, etc. We use AMEX and pay the balance off in full at the end of every month. Oh I did forget to mention that we will have $500 credit due to our AMEX rewards so that is a bright spot in our situation.

DW and I really do want to take the trip. I'm not too proud to bag grocries or go back to waiting tables like I did in college if the need arises. The biggest "what-if" would be offers that need to start immediately. Gotta eat right?

Moral of the story: I should (btw should is one of the worst words in the English language IMHO) have followed the parents advice about becoming an engineer instead of getting that high-paying-liberal arts degree:rolleyes: .

If I were in your situation, I'd go - seriously, what have you got to lose? Your wife's already unemployed, you might be soon as well . . . let a little fun into your life for a week before you both have to start pounding the pavement looking for new employers. Go and have a good time, enjoy the cruise you've booked and paid for and don't think about anything except each other and your friends during the time away. Life is short, enjoy it while you can.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

If you are still able to get 50% back, then I disagree with those who say that you have paid in full and have nothing to lose, because you can get back 50% of your fare.

Whether you go on the cruise or not is up to you and your wife, but there is still financial value in that 50% that you can have refunded to you and there are additional costs you will necessarily spend beyond what you have already paid.

You will both also be out of reach and unable to accept whatever job offers may come up during this time period.

Ask yourself if, given your current financial situation and lack of work, a cruise offer came up at 50% off would you even consider booking and paying for it now? Probably not, right?

We are in a good financial position now because we have been prudent when times were tough.

I hope that, whatever you two decide, you are in agreement with each other.

I have to say that I agree with most posters, it would hurt me more to lose 50% of my hard earned money than it would to not go and have a good time, we would just cut back on expenses on the cruise. Besides, when you get your new, better paying jobs, it may be a while before vacation time rolls around again.:( Good luck, and happy hunting. :)

Scott

Hard question that really only the two of you can answer. Don't have to actually answer but did you book an expensive or inexpensive cabin? Makes a difference to how much money you would be getting back to use while looking for new jobs. Can you go on the cruise and really avoid spending beyond the bare minimum? I'm sure if you don't go your friends would be disappointed but if you do go will they be helpful in keeping your additional expenses down or will they encourage you to spend on extras? You don't mention cair cost so can we assume you're driving to port the day of the cruise and driving home the day the cruise ends?

If you can keep your cost to the price of the cruise with spending little else then I'd say go and enjoy yourselves as it might be a while before you get to enjoy a cruise again but if you know yourselves well enough to know that it will be hard to keep those other expenses really low then I'd say cancelling is really in your best interest. Good Luck!:)

I would contact CCL directly and advise them of the change in your financial circumstances. Request that they apply the entire 50% you have already paid to a certificate for a future cruise (to be booked by you when your financial problems have been resolved).

CCL wins because they have the use of your money for a very long time. They win a second time because they can sell your cabin to someone else. They win a third time because they have made a friend (you) for life (be sure to point out that you are only 27 and will be taking cruises for many years to come).

You win because you don't lose anything. You also win because you are doing the correct financial thing to do in your position. How great will you feel if you stay home and wind up getting a new job on the very week you would have been on the cruise??????

Give them a call, you have NOTHING to lose.

I am so sorry for your situation.

JMO -- but I would cancel and take the 50%.

There are too many if's here. You could also be let go from your job.

One or both of you may find something before the cruise and then you would have to cancel and lose everything.

Once you explain the situation to your friends and if they really are true friends - they should understand.

MHO

The only trip that I regret is the one I cancelled because my job was more important than the trip. My company was in merger. I voluntarily cancelled to be at my post during the merger week. I learned my lesson. When DH was at a shakey company and he and 5 friends found that they could all go to Las Vegas for a 4 day getaway. I made him go. That company closed down in about 2 months after they returned. I think they remember more about their Las Vegas trip than their experience at the company.

If you are really OK with the money part, then my experiences tell me that a trip with your friends will be what you remember all your life.

Best Wishes on all your decisions.

What would you really gain by cancelling? 50% of your outlay and all of your saved spending money. (You could also hang on to a lot of this too even if you go.) Are these savings really going to be a life changing amount of money.

You will also gain a week at home sitting by the 'phone wondering if it is going to ring with a job offer.

From my reading of this you are young with no major responsibilities ..children etc to consider at present. You have a little savings and the willingness to work at anything to keep yourselves going. So, the advice from another 'oldie', go. :) Grab the opportunity while you can. If things really do become a little tight for a while this could be last vacation you have for some time. So enjoy while you can.

Ask yourself, which you would regret the most. Taking the cruise and wondering how things were going to pan out when you get back, or staying at home and wistfully thinking of what you could have been doing?

Whatever you decide..good luck in the job situation.

If my adult, financially self-sustaining kids were in your situation, and asked my opinion, I would tell them what many here have already said.

That would be: to go and have a wonderful time. Maybe be a little careful about what you choose to spend on unnecessary trinkets, etc. But go and enjoy yourselves. You've saved for and paid for this cruise. Once you are back, start the job search, well rested and with great memories of time well spent with good friends.

All of the above does not apply if one of you gets a great and firm job offer at more money than that person is now making, that starts immediately.

However, if the job is waiting tables or flipping burgers, that can wait till after the cruise.

I agree with the others who say GO and have a great time!! It would bother me more to lose that 50% of my hard earned money....that's a total waste IMO. Your DW should be eligible for unemployment, while I know it won't be as much as her take home pay was it will be something. I have changed jobs frequently (most of us nurses tend to do that!!) and on two occasions I've had to tell them that I had a trip booked in the near future. It's not been a deal breaker for me, hopefully not for you either.

You sound like mature, fiscally responsible 20 somethings who are looking at reality rather than getting in over your heads with debt. I hope you decide to go and have a wonderful time. All this will still be here when you get back but you'll have some great memories!!

BON VOYAGE.........

Lynda

I was in a similar situation back in 2003. Got my 90-day layoff notice in March, and was scheduled to go to Alaska in May. By the time I got the notice I was pretty well invested in the cruise financially, including non-refundable airline tickets, so I just went and enjoyed myself. It was a much needed respite from the stress of job hunting.

I say go unless doing so would keep you from paying for the 4 walls for your family - house, food, utilities, and transporation.

Roz

Only you can determine how much the 50% refund will extend your current reserves. But here's a true story about how attitude affects dealing with various forms of financial crisis:

In 1929, when my husband's mother was a child, her family was on a tour of Italy. The news came over that the stock market had crashed, their nest egg was wiped out. Her father said calmly to the family, "This trip is paid for, we can't do anything about the situation at home, we are going to finish this trip and enjoy every moment." That night they went to the opera at La Scala.

If you do decide to take the cruise, enjoy every moment.

Archived