Possible CC Cruise to Alaska??

kellywhitehills

I got to see a baby in Ketchikan, really close to downtown and then I saw big bear in Juneau when we were at the Mendenhall Glaciers. There was a walkway that lead down to the stream and there it was. But I got so excited I didn't get a picture either time. This small town Texas gal thought that was awesome and that was my goal for going to Alaska. But September is a good time to see bears because the salmon are spawning and the bears can find some good eats.

[quote name='LEtue']We saw3 bears that day. We spotted this one as we came around a curve in the road. He was just walking down the center line before he walked off to the side. We were all grabbing for our cameras!

I would recommend renting a car in Skagway to anyone who enjoys just getting out of town. A roundtrip drive to Wonder Lake or Carcross is wonderful way to spend the day :D[/quote]

I too really enjoyed driving to Emerald lake..The weather was gorgeous..Having a car when you are in town is nice too..We got to explore the cemetery and down to Dyea..When we go back we will most probably rent a car again and hit Liarsville..I know its cheesy but its kinda fun too..and they have an awesome salmon bake there!

[quote name='LEtue']Kelly, I just saw a thread on the Alaska boards about the Serenade of the Seas not returning to Alaska in 2010.

Probably a lot of changes coming so that might explain the delay by Carnival.....[/quote]

Wow.....Well I guess e just have to wait and see..I hope they still offer the r/t out of Vancouver..I loved going to Glacier Bay..
If they do not we will have to figure out another date..*shrugs*..SB and NB cruises a very nice also...

Kelly

[quote name='kellywhitehills']Wow.....Well I guess e just have to wait and see..I hope they still offer the r/t out of Vancouver..I loved going to Glacier Bay..
If they do not we will have to figure out another date..*shrugs*..SB and NB cruises a very nice also...

Kelly[/quote]

I agree! Glacier Bay was so much nicer than Hubbard Glacier IMHO. Plus all of the marine life in the surrounding area :D

I really hope that Carnival keeps the RT from Vancouver itinerary. Not sure if I'm up to another one way yet....

[quote name='kellywhitehills']We are pricing R/T out of Vancouver..The first one available in Sept..The prices are usually lower for this cruise and the airfare is cheaper..[/quote]

Aw Heck. You need to take us off then. You ought to edit your first post too... it still says July/August. That's what I was responding to. Why the move to September out of curiousity? For many reasons I can't go in September, but also, I really wouldn't want to! July in Texas makes an Alaska trip sound groovy :D.

Anywhichahoo... please edit the post so no one else ends up disappointed thinking it's one cruise and ends up being another.

[quote name='Candleshoe']Aw Heck. You need to take us off then. You ought to edit your first post too... it still says July/August. That's what I was responding to. Why the move to September out of curiousity? For many reasons I can't go in September, but also, I really wouldn't want to! July in Texas makes an Alaska trip sound groovy :D.

Anywhichahoo... please edit the post so no one else ends up disappointed thinking it's one cruise and ends up being another.[/quote]

Carnival only has Glacier Bay sailings in May and September and as the thread evolved the interest in one of these sailings developed. RT from Vancouver and a shoulder season sailing is more affordable too!

September is still very hot and humid here in FL so I'm really looking forward to getting away then :D

September should work for me. Last time we cruised to Alaska it was the end of June....no salmon yet...but the weather was awesome! Crisp but not cold. Rain only about half of one day in Ketchikan. Only disappointment was we were scheduled to go to Hubbard Glacier and the Captain did not sail very close to the glacier at all - although a Royal Caribbean ship did. Still it was neat to see the ice all around the ship in the water, and to see the smaller bergs just floating by.

I have heard that September is also a great time to cruise in Alaska - so let's keep our fingers crossed that the prices will be released soon!

[quote name='Candleshoe']Aw Heck. You need to take us off then. You ought to edit your first post too... it still says July/August. That's what I was responding to. Why the move to September out of curiousity? For many reasons I can't go in September, but also, I really wouldn't want to! July in Texas makes an Alaska trip sound groovy :D.

Anywhichahoo... please edit the post so no one else ends up disappointed thinking it's one cruise and ends up being another.[/quote]

I am sorry.....I tried to edit the post but cant do it..The edit button is gone..

Kelly

kelly - are you going to keep this list for when the 2010 prices come out? I am asking because unless we have new posts, it keeps moving back a couple of pages - and I am afraid it may get lost before the prices are published.

I spoke with my DH and we are well and truly interested in a group cruise to Alaska.....just have to wait for the rates.

[quote name='DaisyGirl55']kelly - are you going to keep this list for when the 2010 prices come out? I am asking because unless we have new posts, it keeps moving back a couple of pages - and I am afraid it may get lost before the prices are published.

I spoke with my DH and we are well and truly interested in a group cruise to Alaska.....just have to wait for the rates.[/quote]

YUP I plan on keeping this list...I try to p[ost everyday to keep the thread up front!

[quote name='kellywhitehills']SOO have any of you thought about what kind of excursions you'd like to do??[/quote]

Not yet. I want to make sure of the itinerary and port times before deciding. Definitely plan to rent a vehicle in Skagway though ;)

I have been hoping to do a bear trip out of Ketchikan on the next Alaska cruise so maybe it will be this one :D

The down side to this cruise is that is Wednesday to Wednesday.....

[quote name='LEtue']Not yet. I want to make sure of the itinerary and port times before deciding. Definitely plan to rent a vehicle in Skagway though ;)

I have been hoping to do a bear trip out of Ketchikan on the next Alaska cruise so maybe it will be this one :D

The down side to this cruise is that is Wednesday to Wednesday.....[/quote]
But an up side is...We will most probably be the only ship in port for Skagway and Glacier Bay!

Hi There!
We are waiting to book the Carnival Spirit ~ Alaska Southbound in the middle of July or August of 2010. Will be our second trip to Alaska. We just loved the first one. Spent 5 days pre in Fairbanks and Denali and intend to do pretty much the same this time. Keep us in mind as you make your plans. Any questions ...please feel free to ask. We had an aft wrap on the Empress deck, port side last trip.
Mike/Cheryl

[quote name='kellywhitehills']But an up side is...We will most probably be the only ship in port for Skagway and Glacier Bay![/quote]

Oooh, very good point!

Just wondering how I can get away with 2 weeks off at once - or return to work on a Thursday.....

Just checking to see if there has been any news yet on the pricing.
Kelly will they also give you the Military rates? My Aunt and Uncle are doing thier "Bucket List"! lol They leave for Israel next week and Alaskan Cruise is the next on their list!!! I told them about this trip and they seem excited about it. I pray my Uncles health holds up so they can do this with us.

I'm waiting, too, for 2010 cruises to come out. If this cruise doesn't work out, I may do the Vancouver to Hawaii on the Spirit in Sept 2010. That's one cruise on my bucket list. I know a lot of people like to do the Hawaii part first and then have the 5 days at sea, but I know what the weather here can be like in later April/early May and the last couple of sea days could be rough (not to mention cool).

If I do this round trip, I may even look at getting an aft cabin. I usually book mid-ship balcony cabins, but want to try an aft. The aft wrap cabins always seem to be a big favorite with people, but I'm not sure whether or not they are available for solos.

Excursions? Well, I can't do the physical stuff anymore like kayaking or hiking, etc., so I'm pretty limited to either walking around the port or a sightseeing type of tour. I've done the Whitepass Railroad tour in Skagway and that's a good one. I've done the gold panning in Juneau, too. Might take in the lumberjack show in Ketchikan next time.

[quote name='LEtue']Not yet. I want to make sure of the itinerary and port times before deciding. Definitely plan to rent a vehicle in Skagway though ;)

The down side to this cruise is that is Wednesday to Wednesday.....[/quote]
That should make the flights cheaper I would think!!

Archived