Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

[quote name=138east;1

Frank - you may be able to find the sites by exploring NJTransit.com.

Now - a really personal question for you. Are you 62+? If so' date=' we need to talk about senior citizen fares, which will save you a lot more money than the already ridiculously cheap fares we have worked out with you.[/quote]

Oh boy oh boy...I just knew there was an advantage to getting old !!:p

Yes, I am a young 70(in March):)

So fire away with the good deals !!:p

Have a good day..be back later after I fill my tummy with FOOD !!!!!!

Frank

Frank,

A lot of the prices change with a senior discount.

Train

Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station $6.50

Newark Penn Station to New York - $1.75

Bus

Bus #62 to Newark Penn Station - $1.00

Path - senior discounts are hard to do for tourists

But I found something even better.

#112 bus from Elizabeth to Port Authority, NY. $2.35 senior

Here's Your Best Route...

From 901 SPRING ST. to NORTH AVE. & VAN BUREN AVE.

orange_pixel.gif Walk approx. 2 blocks on Spring St. Turn right on North Ave E. Walk a short distance on North Ave E. Walk straight on North Ave. Walk approx. 1 block on North Ave.

1) Wed, Oct 28 noon to ? Take bus 62 to Newark Penn Station, take Path to midtown NYC to see Empire State, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and whatever else we can. Look at the 112 bus directly to NY or take the regular NJ Transit train senior fare to NY Penn Station for $1.75 (same price as PATH). Train is faster to midtown NY and for a senior there is essentially no price difference.

2) Then take Path back to Newark Penn Station, take NJ Train to airport station, airtrain to P-4, take hotel shuttle back to Crowne Plaza. Should we be concerned with the time we go back to the hotel ??(safety?) Safety should not be an issue if you are on the train. Coming back I would advise splurging on a NY Penn Station to Newark Penn Station senior ticket for $1.75 and a Newark Penn Station to Newark Airport senior ticket for $6.50. This way you will go from NY Penn Station to Newark Airport station, then on Airtrain to P4 and shuttle to the hotel.

3) Thur. early AM take hotel shuttle to airport,( or take bus 62 from the pickup area near the hotel to Newark Penn Station and eliminate the airport get off) then take Path to Ground Zero, get off walk to Battery Park(for Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island,) after that walk back to Ground Zero to visit, then Path. Path is the way to go to downtown Manhattan.

There should be no issue paying your fares directly on the bus. However, you MUST buy your train tickets from the NJTransit vending machines in order to avoid a hefty penalty for purchasing them on the train. For Path you must also buy your ticket from the vending machine. Be sure to allow time to figure out the machines to do this.

Frank,

A lot of the prices change with a senior discount.

Train

Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station $6.50

Newark Penn Station to New York - $1.75

There should be no issue paying your fares directly on the bus. However, you MUST buy your train tickets from the NJTransit vending machines in order to avoid a hefty penalty for purchasing them on the train. For Path you must also buy your ticket from the vending machine. Be sure to allow time to figure out the machines to do this.

You CAN get Seasoned citizen fares from the NJT ticket vending machines...just read the little screen...(some stations like newark penn and NYC penn will have humans....not sure about the EWR a/p station tho

i think it's called something like Sr/Disabled Round trip excursion or something...BTW....the Sr fares do not work on the rush hour trains.....these are generally highlighted on the schedules...........

Meg - You're right. New Jersey Transit doesn't seem to be a problem with senior fares. And you do need to read the schedules to see what trains are excluded. However, when I was reading about PATH, you need to get some sort of reusable senior card (indications were that this is $5) that you add money to for your PATH fares. It's not worth it for 2 days.

Just wondering what is the best transportation to use after a Broadway show to the Doubletree in Jersey City on a Friday night?

Hmmmmmmm.......

Probably the PATH trains.....cabs are out...too much...........plus NY cabs can't pick up fares in NJ......

CAROL?? you out there???? (my pal 138east is good at this!)

www.panynj.com

Hmmmmmmm.......

Probably the PATH trains.....cabs are out...too much...........plus NY cabs can't pick up fares in NJ......

CAROL?? you out there???? (my pal 138east is good at this!)

www.panynj.com

Thank you... are the PATH trains safe to take a night?

Thank you... are the PATH trains safe to take a night?

yes......there will be a lot of people on them after a show....i am not 100% sure which stop.....and you could always hop a taxi in NYC to the PATH station........(i've only taken it as far as the WTC stop and that way years ago.....generally i just hop the train but that's not as convenient for you.

I would have no problems with PATH after a Broadway show. You can walk, take a cab, or ride the subway to 33rd & 6th to catch the Journal Square train. The Doubletree is apparently a short walk from the Pavonia/Newport station. As always in NY, keep a heads up and be aware of your surroundings.

In case anyone is interested, there's a discussion on the "looking for a hotel before a Bermuda cruise" thread about a 3.5* NY hotel that is being offered at $115. The scuttlebutt is that it is a new Doubletree hotel on 29th St. between 6th and 7th.

Frank - are you wedded to the Crowne Plaza?

Grego - are you still looking? This looks like the deal you have been waiting for.

Hi Carol and Meg...you folks are not getting off that easy...I'm still around to bug you with questions. :D

I have been "so so busy" doing the washing and ironing, cooking and cleaning while my wife sits and watches CSI and eating bon bons !!:p

In my reading I have come across info about the Statin Island ferry. Where does it leave from ? About how long is the "ride("I assume to Statin Island and back ??), is it worthwhile to ride to see some of the sights from a ferry boat !! Is there a web site for "them"

Thanks

Frank

Thought:

What is the difference between roast beef and pea soup ??

Anyone can roast beef !!! :rolleyes:

I was just checking out the Jersey Garden diner. Is the food as good as it looks.

Just FYI we tried to eat at Jersey Garden diner last week, the night before our Explorer cruise and there was a hand written sign pinned to the door saying 'Closed until Further Notice' - really disappointed :(

Just FYI we tried to eat at Jersey Garden diner last week, the night before our Explorer cruise and there was a hand written sign pinned to the door saying 'Closed until Further Notice' - really disappointed :(

Just called there, phone is disconnected, shot an email off to them, I'll let you know if I get a responce. wE kind of planned to go there next weekend.

Jimbo:)

I just did a search on restaurants in Newark and Elizabeth on Trip Advisor. These were the two number one restaurants. Don't know anything about them, but it's an option if you don't want to eat in your hotel.

Algarve -

• Cuisines: Barbecue, Portuguese

• Address: 656 Van Buren Ave., Elizabeth, NJ 07201
  • Phone: 908-353-5858
  • Fax: 908.353.4472

Fernandes 2 Steak House

• Cuisines: Brazilian, Portuguese, Spanish

wow.............that's bad..........wonder what happened to the diner???:confused::eek:

i'm not familiar with either of those places carol mentioned......

there's always ruby tuesday!

Yes, we ended up eating in Ruby Tuesday twice as the diner was closed and we couldn't be bothered walking all the way over to the mall. Ruby Tuesday was fine - our kids loved it - and very good value.

By the way Meg and 138East I'd just like to thank you both for the valuable advice you gave me over the last months in planning our cruise and pre-cruise stay. Your help was priceless :D

Hi New Jersey residents:

We have changed the vehicle we are going to the dock in Bayonne from an Escape to a Ford F150 pickup with a tonneau cover on the bed. Is this legal on the GSP? There is no commercial writing on the vehicle but it does have CT commercial plates. Don't want to get a ticket or be forced off the road before we get to the Route 3 connector to the turnpike.

Thanks for the info!

Hi New Jersey residents:

We have changed the vehicle we are going to the dock in Bayonne from an Escape to a Ford F150 pickup with a tonneau cover on the bed. Is this legal on the GSP? There is no commercial writing on the vehicle but it does have CT commercial plates. Don't want to get a ticket or be forced off the road before we get to the Route 3 connector to the turnpike.

Thanks for the info!

that's a good one...IIRC they mean BIGGGGGGGG trucks as opposed to pick ups....BUT....

here is a link.....maybe you can email and ask as i could not find that info...(go figure, we can't make stuff easy here!)

http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/index.htm

Don't have an answer for you, but if you are coming from Connecticut, why would you go on the Garden State?

Garden State Parkway way avoids taking 95 through NYC, Bronx, etc. Less traffic and potential back ups that way.

Garden State Parkway way avoids taking 95 through NYC, Bronx, etc. Less traffic and potential back ups that way.

thanks, Jimbo, that is exactly right. Do not want to go over GWB. We are not common travelers that way - last time 20 yrs ago - we just always take Tappan Zee - I used to live in NJ and that is the way we always went to CT. This way we feel we are just still in the burbs and can stay out of NYC and the Bronx.

I did send an e-mail to NJT to get correct info. When I was living in NJ many, many yrs ago, no trucks, including pick ups were allowed - only tow trucks to hook up a car!

Archived