Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

We will be on the EOS this summer, and are planning on flying Southwest into Long Island- may or may not spend time in NYC before the cruise. What is the best way to get from Long Island to the port?

Hi we, me and partner, both 40+, mum 60+ and daughter 17yrs, are staying at the hyatt on the hudson SAT 4 April 09, one night before cruise. Arriving from airport at hotel about 2.30pm ish....

please could you give me your advice/thoughts regarding:

Ferry trips around ellis and liberty islands.

have found some information but not sure whether they have any ferries that depart right by hotel at the waterfront/walkway or we need to get a taxi to another departure area. also not sure if they have any tours that will be operating late afternoon - appreciate that we may not have time to actually 'land' on the islands but just a sail around would be good.

Eating out.

We are looking to walk to somewhere like Iron Monkey restaurant or others in same vicinity for our evening meal - mum has mobility issues, can walk but not a long hike. is the area safe enough after dark to do this?

Alternatively we may brave the PATH train to 1st stop ground zero - again anything immediately walkable from station for food and atmosphere? again OK after dark?

if we did do PATH is there a ticket booth or automatic machines [just thinking about payment options].

Whilst we are not intending to spend lots of time money and energy cramming lots in during the bit of time we have in NJ/NY, it would be nice to at least consider the options we have available and try to soak up some experience/atmosphere.

THANKS.

Ruth.

Hopefully someone will post who can tell you about how much walking is involved. It's been a while since I did this, but I know from past experience that there is definitely walking.

I think you will be too late for the Statue of Liberty. However, I would suggest the following. Path train to World Trade Center ($1.75 - automatic ticket machines). Cab to South Ferry (under $10). Ferry ride to Staten Island and back (good view of the Statue and the harbor) - free Dinner - perhaps someone can recommend a restaurant in downtown Manhattan. Cab back to Path. This would be an leisurely inexpensive outing. I don't think you will have any safety issues at all.

Pooh - thanks for the invite. I've never been to Williamsburg - I don't know how I missed it since it seems I spent my childhood vacations driving all over the east coast on vacations.

Jimbo - that is a very interesting web site. I'm not surprised someone else got in the cruise parking business. The only problem is whether the savings outweighs the convenience of parking at the port. There's nothing like coming out of the Bayonne terminal and getting in your car and hitting the road.

Come to Williamsburg! You can get the Southern version of our Nation's beginnngs, a nice compliment to your Boston experience :) If possible stay 2 nights. You can do a nice tour of Colonial Williamsburg in one day. Did you see John Adams?

Thanks, Jimbo, for the alternative to port parking. Save money vs. same time? It's nice to have a choice.

We will be on the EOS this summer, and are planning on flying Southwest into Long Island- may or may not spend time in NYC before the cruise. What is the best way to get from Long Island to the port?

most likely a private car service..

www.carmellimo.com

www.dial7.com

not the easiest but not bad. You're going to Islip or LGA???? You can take public transit such as LIRR and NJ Transit but i am not sure how..

Hopefully someone will post who can tell you about how much walking is involved. It's been a while since I did this, but I know from past experience that there is definitely walking.

I think you will be too late for the Statue of Liberty. However, I would suggest the following. Path train to World Trade Center ($1.75 - automatic ticket machines). Cab to South Ferry (under $10). Ferry ride to Staten Island and back (good view of the Statue and the harbor) - free Dinner - perhaps someone can recommend a restaurant in downtown Manhattan. Cab back to Path. This would be an leisurely inexpensive outing. I don't think you will have any safety issues at all.

that sounds good....minimizes walking....

as for dinner..there are many places.....i generally eat in midtown....so i'm not good at downtown restaurants...and i've not stayed at the hyatt..sorry.

there are a couple hotels in Downtown manhattan with restaurants which may be ok...I believe the Marriott downtown has a Roy's Hawaiian restaurant....(yes, really...but the food is pretty good.....) there are probably other ideas as well...

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycws-new-york-marriott-downtown/

Are you allowed to enter the port area to just scout it out if there are no ships leaving? We'll be in the area & I though I'd just do a drive by to see what it looked like.

i don't think so but i'm not sure....however there's really NOTHING to see...they are building some condos and there is a shopping center just past the entrance. other than that, and some container ships.....it's pretty dull!

i don't think so but i'm not sure....however there's really NOTHING to see...they are building some condos and there is a shopping center just past the entrance. other than that, and some container ships.....it's pretty dull!

Oh I realize that other than a few terminal blds. there can't be much to see but we'll be in the area later this year & I'd just like to see the port if at all possible. We lived in the area before they were cruising from Jersey.

Drewdie - do a search on this forum for Islip. There have been some long threads about getting from the Islip airport to the LIRR and how good or bad that can be with cruise luggage. The most interesting suggestions was to fly into Philadelphia and rent a car instead of dealing with Long Island.

thanks for the idea of getting the ferry from the manhattan side and then spending the evening for dinner in NY., before PATH back to Hyatt in NJ.

hadnt thought of crossing the river to do a ferry tour assumed we would just do it from the NJ side - hence wondering if how near to the hotel there was a ferry station.

I know that the VUE restaurant in the hotel has a good reputation, if somewhat pricey i believe. just thought that my trying a 'local' eatery we might soak up some atmosphere rather than being stuck in the hotel....

iron monkey, lighthorse tavern - both walkable from the hotel, seem to get good reviews - along with Flamingoes! [bit of 'greasy joes' as we would say in UK] 24hr diner, get what you pay for but certainly local!:rolleyes:

ruth

There is a ferry from Exchange Place to NY, but it is pricey($6.00) and the ride is short (7 min). You won't get much for your money and it won't be near the Statue. It also stops running about 8:30 pm. http://www.nywaterway.com/Home/RidetheFerry/SchedulesRoutes/ViewSchedule/tabid/133/Default.aspx?ID=145

If you go to South Ferry, you will be at Battery Park. Mom could wait in the Ferry waiting room if you wanted to take a quick walk along the water at Battery Park. There are good views of the Statue from there.

iron monkey, lighthorse tavern - both walkable from the hotel, seem to get good reviews - along with Flamingoes! [bit of 'greasy joes' as we would say in UK] 24hr diner, get what you pay for but certainly local!:rolleyes:

ruth

hey..when in New Jersey, do as we do......go to a diner.....generally pretty cheap.....and REALLY yummy!!!! i think we have more diners in NJ than anywhere in the galaxy!

thank you both for your comments and advice. will do some more homework on the ferry options.

re diner... take it you would recommend flamingoes then! my remarks weren't meant to sound derogatory [dont think they came across like that but just want to clear it up in case they did].

my philosophy is try anything!! hence have looked at walking options round by the hotel - wont discount chinese or indian cuisine but have that at home a lot so was looking at perhaps a 'BAR' environment so that perhaps we may get to chat with the locals.....

assuming they can understand my mums scouse [liverpool] accent!;)

we will have my 17yr old daughter with us but believe its ok to take her too, no drink, but some places may have a curfew?

ruth

thank you both for your comments and advice. will do some more homework on the ferry options.

re diner... take it you would recommend flamingoes then! my remarks weren't meant to sound derogatory [dont think they came across like that but just want to clear it up in case they did].

my philosophy is try anything!! hence have looked at walking options round by the hotel - wont discount chinese or indian cuisine but have that at home a lot so was looking at perhaps a 'BAR' environment so that perhaps we may get to chat with the locals.....

assuming they can understand my mums scouse [liverpool] accent!;)

we will have my 17yr old daughter with us but believe its ok to take her too, no drink, but some places may have a curfew?

ruth

nope...no offense taken!

as for bar-ish places....as long as they serve food, no prob taking your daughter...(drinking age in the US is, for the most part, 21-it is in NJ!)

WOW...i just looked at google maps...that's only a block from where i worked! we were at 101 Hudson..used to get the PATH right at Exchange place...hmmm...things really change! (sorry..got a little off topic! but we used to be able to go up to the top floor...MANY floors up ..and see the World Trade Center...used to go to lunch there...still weird to not be able to see the towers...)

there will be plenty of locals no matter where you go....i would ask at the hyatt for a good recommendation...tell them you don't want to go someplace where all the tourists go!

We love diners here...and from what i can see...they have a bar too, so if you need an adult beverage after your travels or touring, you'll be all set!

The "VIEW" restuarant at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square IS very SPENDY!

BUT......if you want to hang out and have (a very overpriced cocktail) there's a lounge off the lobby (on the 8th floor) that is RIGHT over times square...it's really neat to people watch. And the drinks are good.....just not cheap, although i suppose abeer or a glass of wine or soda would be fine.......and you could just relax and catch your breath...but that's only if you are up in that area......

that place is cool....super busy,but cool. (i like to go sit and people watch...good way to kill time and rest!)

ETA: i was just looking at the menus for lighthorse and iron monkey - can't find one for flamingos....ANYWAY.....they sound good, but seem a little too, i can't come up with a word...Hmm...too "foodie"....and a little spendy. Cheaper than NYC, but...well- I am sure they are very good.....the whole Jersey City/Hoboken area has become trendy and hip and cool. Thus, so are the restaurants. BUT, having neverbeen to any of them, i can't say for certain. Therefore...which ever one you choose..come back and give us a little review eh??? :-)

This question is for anyone living in this area. We are flying into Newark on Sept.16th and leaving on the Explorer of the Seas on the 17th. We would like a hotel that is not too expensive but not a shab either. :rolleyes:;) We would lik eto stay close to the cruise port. Which hotel would be good for two women. It is my best friend and I going only. I looked at the Cowne Plaza in Elizabeth and it looks pretty good. Do you think that is a good choice and close enough to stay ? Thanks for any help ya'll can give me. Janice

yes...click the link below to my blog.

The only issue is there's nothing around the Crowne Plaza to eat...except for their own restaurant.

These hotels are at least near www.jerseygardensdiner.net

www.jerseygardens.com

and a ruby tuesday....about a 40 buck cab ride (20-30 minutes) to the pier...or youcan use a car service...we used www.blackexecutivecars.com and they were super prompt and reliable...

Country inn & suites (includes breakfast)

Residence Inn by Marriott (includes breakfast)

Courtyard by Marriott (skip breakfat...too expensive..go to the diner!)

all are under Newark/Elizabeth on GLIMCHER REALTY WAY and have airport transportation.

there are others...but at least you can safely walk to Ruby Tuesday or the diner...and to the mall (but sometimes the shuttle will drop you off...it's just across the street...)

hth...come back if you have more ???s

This question is for anyone living in this area. We are flying into Newark on Sept.16th and leaving on the Explorer of the Seas on the 17th. We would like a hotel that is not too expensive but not a shab either. :rolleyes:;) We would lik eto stay close to the cruise port. Which hotel would be good for two women. It is my best friend and I going only. I looked at the Cowne Plaza in Elizabeth and it looks pretty good. Do you think that is a good choice and close enough to stay ? Thanks for any help ya'll can give me. Janice

Janice,

I will be on this cruise as well. Crowne Plaza has a good reputation, so probably a good choice for you two. I do not know how far it is from the Cruise Terminal though. Try looking that up on Mapquest or RandMcNally. I have stayed at the Holiday Inn near EWR (Newark Airport) and it was fine and about 10 miles from the Terminal. 10 mile Cab fare form hotel to the Terminal last year around $45.00. It all depends what is in your budget. I am arriving on 9/16 and staying at a "not fancy" hotel, as all I need is a clean place to sleep, which it is, and get up early on the 17th, and arrive at the terminal around 9:30 or 10:00AM.

Assuming Royal Caribbean is still using the Sheraton, you could stay there and get transfers to the ship or take a cab to the Terminal.

This will be my third time on this ship, you can Ice Skate on it if you so choose. I recommend this, it is a blast!!!

I will be arriving via Train.

See you on the ship,

NewJersey222

Marie

mem775416@aol.com

thanks for the foody help! the vue restaurant i am talking about is the one in the hotel - hyatt on the hudson NJ.

stunning Views! i believe over the river etc., along with stunning prices!

as we are literally using the hotel as a base for one night, just wanted the option of a bite to eat.....

usually we depart from miami and our uk flights get us in late so we just crash for the night and get up and go to the ship the next day.. this time we actually have decent arrival times which give us the option of trying to do something touristy... and as we have never been in this neck of the woods before figure that the easiest way to take in some atmosphere is to at least 'eat out' rather than stay at the hotel... unless of course we are shattered and go for a nap and just end up sleeping through!:eek:

if we do eat out, i will put a quick review on this board but will also do a review on tripadvisor for the hotel and surrounding etc.

also, seems as if we shouldnt worry about walking around the area once dark.. i know it is the financial business district so probably quieter than some more residential areas..... not hearing too much negativity about considering walking [re-word that to say 'are you mad, you need your heads testing!!!]

again many thanks.

see

thanks for the foody help! the vue restaurant i am talking about is the one in the hotel - hyatt on the hudson NJ.

stunning Views! i believe over the river etc., along with stunning prices!

as we are literally using the hotel as a base for one night, just wanted the option of a bite to eat.....

usually we depart from miami and our uk flights get us in late so we just crash for the night and get up and go to the ship the next day.. this time we actually have decent arrival times which give us the option of trying to do something touristy... and as we have never been in this neck of the woods before figure that the easiest way to take in some atmosphere is to at least 'eat out' rather than stay at the hotel... unless of course we are shattered and go for a nap and just end up sleeping through!:eek:

if we do eat out, i will put a quick review on this board but will also do a review on tripadvisor for the hotel and surrounding etc.

also, seems as if we shouldnt worry about walking around the area once dark.. i know it is the financial business district so probably quieter than some more residential areas..... not hearing too much negativity about considering walking [re-word that to say 'are you mad, you need your heads testing!!!]

again many thanks.

see

Ohhhh..didnt realize there is a VUE in the Hyatt...:o

Anywho....you should be OK walking...it's not far......just keep your wits about you!! that area is mainly a business area anyway........

We will be at the Hyatt on the Hudson this Friday and Saturday pre-Explorer of the Seas and we can't wait to head back to our favorite diner, the Flamingo Restaurant. Here's a link to a website with a menu. It's a huge menu and I don't how recent it is but it gives you an idea. It's definitely a greasy spoon with "interesting" service but we think it's great so check it out!

http://www.menupix.com/hoboken/restaurants.php?id=306660#

Ok I just booked the Courtyard by Marriott in Elizabeth, New Jersey. For those of you who live there is that a good choice ? What would they have around our hotel for us to do ? Do ya'll know if they have free shuttle to pick us up at the airport ? If so would we call them to pick us up or do they just come and go at specific times ? We will be arriving at the airport around 2:00 pm so we should have a little time to do something close by.

Is anyone else staying near this hotel ?

Archived