Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

hmm...maybe 10 minutes...i did a quick google maps......i guesstimated....:confused:

but it looks close.....!;)

and you are correct about the PATH...i used to take it from newark penn to exchange place (last stop before WTC)....easy ride....and the walk shouldn't be bad....it would be a cheap cab ride too.....and there's a couple hotels down there (a Marriott and a Ritz Carlton) in case you need to "rest" as i call it!!! lol!

Thanks Meg for the Google map..dum dum me didn't think of looking at Google. I played on it for awhile. It says like you said... about 13 minute walk from Ground Zero to Battery Park. Then I checked Empire State Bldg. to Battery Park..67 minute walk. then I checked Empire State Bldg. to Times Square about 15 minute...SO...if wife and I wanted to see NYC..and we are capable of walking 4 miles at a leisure pace, would it be safe to walk from Times Square via Empire State Bldg via Ground zero to Battery Park starting in the early AM and stopping for lunch,and coffee along the way. I will look it up, but I think I read where Empire State Bldg is open early 8:00 Am ? I would want to be at Battery Park about noon for the trip to SOL. Am I not being realistic ? We would not be stopping for shopping, just sightseeing along the way. We can break this up, because we will be in our hotel in Newark about 11:00 AM on Wednesday from our flight from Pittsburgh(nonstop) and we will have the rest of the day Wed to do something and then all day Thursday . Both days we would probably want to be back at the hotel about 6:00PM or so ...but, folks, we would like your thoughts. Don't be bashful..tell us what you think. First time in NYC and maybe the last..who knows !!:p

Thanks,

Knarf(Frank backwards)

Of course it's possible to do what you propose. There is no problem walking in Manhattan. Everyone does it (well, almost everyone). I will look at a map and come up with some ideas. The only thing I would suggest is to make a reservation for the SOL ferry. If you are running late, you can always hop a cab, bus, or subway.

I wouldn't hang out in Newark all day Thursday. Perhaps you could go into the World Trade Center and walk to Chinatown or Little Italy for dinner? There is no reason you should turn into a pumpkin by 6 pm. It is perfectly safe to be in NY in the evening and to return to Newark. However, I would take the bus, subway, or a cab back to the train or Path instead of walking long distances after dark.

I would also have a Plan B in case it rains.

Oh I am so sad to hear that it will be too early to see the leaves changing. I really would have loved to see and take pictures of this. Can you tell me if I will need an overcoat or just a jacket at that time. I am trying to pack as least as possible because of the weight of the suitcase. I really don't feel like paying more than I have to. :o

Hi all thanks so much for all info. We are flying in to Newark and staying at Newark airport Rennaicance overnight. Hoping to have some time to either visit a Mall or eat out. Any suggestions would be very welcome. Also will have a day at the end of our cruise to maybe do some sightseeing. Is this hotel okay? This was organised by the cruiseline RC.

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards

Sandian

Ok another question for any of you that live in the beautiful Canada/ New England states... We are scheduled to cruise from New Jersey on the Explorer of the Seas Sept. 17th, but I am wondering if this is too early for the changing of the leaves ? I really wanted to be able to see this.:)

We live in Toronto and I have a sister in New Brunswick. Are you going to Quebec City? If so you might get a little colour change but not in Nova Scotia, PEI or New Brunswick. Fall in the Atlantic Provinces is spectacular. I go down to New Brunswick in the September-October time frame. Days are warm (low 70's) and the nights are cool (high-40's). Mid to late October can get wet and cold. If you really want to see the leaves change colour then you will need to change your dates. Dress for the weather.

Of course it's possible to do what you propose. There is no problem walking in Manhattan. Everyone does it (well, almost everyone). I will look at a map and come up with some ideas. The only thing I would suggest is to make a reservation for the SOL ferry. If you are running late, you can always hop a cab, bus, or subway.

I wouldn't hang out in Newark all day Thursday. Perhaps you could go into the World Trade Center and walk to Chinatown or Little Italy for dinner? There is no reason you should turn into a pumpkin by 6 pm. It is perfectly safe to be in NY in the evening and to return to Newark. However, I would take the bus, subway, or a cab back to the train or Path instead of walking long distances after dark.

I would also have a Plan B in case it rains.

Hi 138east,

If I take a cab, it better be the CASH CAB !!!!:D

I do want to come into downtown NYC, I just don't know who much of a hassle it will be to get from Newark to downtown. I want to take the train or bus, so that I don't have the expense of a cab.

Thanks for the help.

Frank

Hi all thanks so much for all info. We are flying in to Newark and staying at Newark airport Rennaicance overnight. Hoping to have some time to either visit a Mall or eat out. Any suggestions would be very welcome. Also will have a day at the end of our cruise to maybe do some sightseeing. Is this hotel okay? This was organised by the cruiseline RC.

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards

Sandian

OK...........you can go to jersey gardens mall www.jerseygardens.com

there are a couple places to eat there...the mall is an outlet mall-so prices are a little better than full price...it is very big.

right across from the mall is a diner- we here in New Jersey have LOTS of them....most of them are known for LOTS of food at really good prices...nothing fancy.....i've eaten there and it is very god.

www.jerseygardensdiner.net

the hotel's shuttle MIGHT be able to drop you at the mall...and you could walk across the street to the diner (it is located next to 3 or 4 other hotels....)

that area is pretty safe....OR you could catch a cab

there really isn't anything by your hotel......

hope that helps...check the link below to go over to my blog...lots of info there......

let me know if you need anything else....

meg

Hi 138east,

If I take a cab, it better be the CASH CAB !!!!:D

I do want to come into downtown NYC, I just don't know who much of a hassle it will be to get from Newark to downtown. I want to take the train or bus, so that I don't have the expense of a cab.

Thanks for the help.

Frank

it's really not bad getting into NYC......and cabs in NY from say, lower manhattan to NY Penn station shouldn't be more than 15 bucks....give or take.

the PATH will get you RIGHT into lower manhattan....and again....you could grab a cab BACK to the WTC PATH station from anyplace....or pop over to a hotel and have them get one for you.....

it's easy....people will say that if you want to see NY stay in NYC....but i never do....i haven't STAYED in NYC in YEARS....BUT when I do go, i stay by the airport.....sure it may take a little longer, but the lower rates-even when added to the train ticket, and a little extra time still saves...

Oh I am so sad to hear that it will be too early to see the leaves changing. I really would have loved to see and take pictures of this. Can you tell me if I will need an overcoat or just a jacket at that time. I am trying to pack as least as possible because of the weight of the suitcase. I really don't feel like paying more than I have to. :o

You don't need a super heavy coat---maybe a heavy windbreaker. (I have a light, fleece lined windbreaker i got at JCPenney a couple years ago...i pretty much wear it all the time unless it is SUPER cold....)

the water, coupled with the wind and movement of the ship will make it seem colder....i would pack a sweatshirt or 2. Layers!! I would bring a pair of jeans and maybe light sweatpants too....you really never know.

but you won't need a heavy winter coat and hat and gloves...well, you're from the south...so you might!!!;)

Meg you are so funny. :D Yes I am from way down south so I am use to warm/humid weather. When I had gone to Alaska I had brought gloves, coat and hat but I really didn't need all that so I wasted luggage space. I am hoping to bring less this time, but I wanted to make sure I was ok bringing just a jacket. I will definitely bring jeans, sweat pants and sweat-shirt.

I am not going to Quebec, although I really wanted to. We are going to Nova Scotia, so I guess I will miss the leaves after all. :( Oh well I will still have a great time no matter what.

Thank ya'll so much for all the help with everything. Janice

Hi Meg and Carol,

I have reservations at the Crowne Plaza in Elizabeth. I could stay at the Holiday Inn-Newark Airport? Is one "more nicer" than the other? Is one "more gooder" for ease of transportation into NYC.

Thanks,

Frank

Hi Meg

Thanks for the info really helpful, I will check out you site and all others on the diners and Mall. Any info on the hotel itself?

Sandra

Well...it used to be, IIRC a Wyndham (you're at the Renaissance correct?) I haven't stayed there yet......(ok, I'm too cheap to pay to park to go for a weekend...but I SHOULD check it out!)

Check trip advisor for some reviews...I know that internet is not free...(not sure if you are hauling a laptop across the pond!!:p)

I checked the Marriott forum on another message board...seems that hotel was at least 3 other things before turning into a Renaissance (marriott brand)...it's been redone, has a nice gym, smallish bathrooms, and seemingly lower ceilings and narrow halls...BUT you aren't sleeping in the halls! So....youshould be fine...most of the marriott road warriors over on that board are picky and they were fine with the hotel....(and they are people who have opinions similar to mine in general so if they say it's fine, it probably is!)

There isn't anytning really around to eat...just the restaurant in the hotel. They do have a shuttle....you'll have to claim your bags and then go take the monorail (train thinggie) over to stop P4 - this is where the hotel shuttles pick up. There should be courtesy phones to call, but 99% of hotel shuttles run all the time...you shouldn't have to wait longer than about 20 minutes.....

www.panynj.com is the link to the NY/NJ Port Authoirty that runs the 3 big and a couple smaller airports...look for the link to Newark if you need further info....the monorail thing can be a pain in the bottom as you have to go a few floors down to bag claim, then back up a few floors to the monorail.

Hi Meg and Carol,

I have reservations at the Crowne Plaza in Elizabeth. I could stay at the Holiday Inn-Newark Airport? Is one "more nicer" than the other? Is one "more gooder" for ease of transportation into NYC.

Thanks,

Frank

6 of 1, half dozen of the other. i'd probably pick the CP-should be in better shape......but both get some good reviews....guess that wasn't much help eh??

what one is the better deal??? if they are close, i'd take the CP......it is supposed to be one of the nicer brands in the intercontinental chain (or whatever they call the parent company of Holiday Inn these days...they all fall under that conglomerate....)

Frank - Here's a whole discussion of "cheapskate" ways to get to NYfrom the Newark airport area. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=863166

Basically, there is bus service from most areas directly to Port Authority in NY. One of the advantages of the hotels near the Jersey Gardens Mall is that the Mall definitely has bus service because it is a "destination" for New Yorkers. However, if you want to be in NY by 8 am on a weekday, you must consider the am rush hour when trains may be a better choice than buses.

Frank - Here's a whole discussion of "cheapskate" ways to get to NYfrom the Newark airport area. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=863166

Basically, there is bus service from most areas directly to Port Authority in NY. One of the advantages of the hotels near the Jersey Gardens Mall is that the Mall definitely has bus service because it is a "destination" for New Yorkers. However, if you want to be in NY by 8 am on a weekday, you must consider the am rush hour when trains may be a better choice than buses.

BUT...if you catch a train before, say, 10 AM (maybe 9:30), expect to NOT have a seat.....when I used to commute some of those trains were so packed that people stood outside of the actual car..in the area where you enter the train.....the conductors used to say..."wave your pass or ticket if you can move your hands..." really....what a mess.....

that said, you're probably still better off with the train (or PATH, but that oo gets PACKED) or just waiting til after 9....still crowded, but probably a better choice....(also trains are cheaper outside of rush hour)

Here's a question for you experts ;)

We're staying in a hotel next to Jersey Gardens Mall for 3 nights pre-cruise in a few weeks time. We've decided we'd like to do the Ellis Island/Liberty tour which starts from Liberty State Park. It seems that public transport from the hotel to the park will be difficult so we'll take a cab. However, here's the question....since we'll be up early on our first morning because of the time difference from the UK we thought about doing it then and making an early start.

The first time slot to book tickets for the tour is 9.00 am. Would you happen to know whether the traffic between the Mall and the State Park will be particularly heavy at that time (it's a Friday). I realise it's during the rush hour but am not sure which routes are particularly heavy. How long would you estimate it would take and would it be better to leave it until an hour later :confused:

Here's a question for you experts ;)

We're staying in a hotel next to Jersey Gardens Mall for 3 nights pre-cruise in a few weeks time. We've decided we'd like to do the Ellis Island/Liberty tour which starts from Liberty State Park. It seems that public transport from the hotel to the park will be difficult so we'll take a cab. However, here's the question....since we'll be up early on our first morning because of the time difference from the UK we thought about doing it then and making an early start.

The first time slot to book tickets for the tour is 9.00 am. Would you happen to know whether the traffic between the Mall and the State Park will be particularly heavy at that time (it's a Friday). I realise it's during the rush hour but am not sure which routes are particularly heavy. How long would you estimate it would take and would it be better to leave it until an hour later :confused:

Hmmm......i would allow 30-45 minutes...but i think it may take less than that.....traffic is hard to predict.....one accident and it's over...BUT sometimes it isn't THAT bad......i would say leave the hotel around 8-8:15. the park itself opens at 6 AM and i presume there is something with which to amuse yourself......

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/liberty.html

it's only about 2 exits away from your hotel area.......so maybe 45 minutes is good........

Thanks Meg - I knew I could rely on you ;)

Sure....my pleasure.

It's funny...I basically live 20 minutes from where I work...and there are times when it could take over an hour to get to work....even longer sometimes...you never know what the weather will bring (for some reason, many people in NJ can't drive in rain!):eek:

Hmmm......i would allow 30-45 minutes...but i think it may take less than that.....traffic is hard to predict.....one accident and it's over...BUT sometimes it isn't THAT bad......i would say leave the hotel around 8-8:15. the park itself opens at 6 AM and i presume there is something with which to amuse yourself......

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/liberty.html

it's only about 2 exits away from your hotel area.......so maybe 45 minutes is good........

Hi Meg, and Carol,

I am looking at that idea too, would it be about the same time for travel from the Crowne Plaza to Liberty Park ??? Another option or idea.. You had said earlier that I could take the train which goes to Ground Zero and then walk to Battery park and go to the Statue from there. How close would the train(from Newark) take me to Empire State Bldg. or to Times Square. My thought is this..Walk from Times SQ to Empire State Bldg-16 minutes, then walk from Empire to Ground Zero-19 minutes, then Ground Zero to Battery Park (to go to Statue)-12 minutes ( times from Google walking maps !!) If we do this we should see at least part of NYC. Of course, in between walking time will be coffee for "her" :rolleyes:and of course food for me !!:D Your thoughts.

Thanks,

Frank

It seems like we have several threads going here. Bobal wants to spend money to take a cab to Liberty State Park. This is a different trip from the one Frank is talking about.

Frank - you need to familiarize yourself with NJ Transit and Path and a map of NY. If you take the hotel shuttle to P4, and then the monorail to the Newark airport station, you have the following choices:

1) Newark Penn Station ($7.75) and Path to World Trade Center or 33rd and 6th changing trains at Journal Square ($1.75). Uptown Path is between the Empire State and Times Square.

2) New York Penn Station ($15.00) - 32nd and 8th - also between the Empire State and Times Square, but further west.

Taking the train directly to NY Penn Station will be faster if you want to go to midtown - probably about an hour from your hotel. Going downtown will be faster by Path - a little over an hour. I think your walking estimates are optimistic, particularly the Empire State to Ground Zero at 19 minutes! These estimates don't take into consideration the fact that you can't just keep going - you will have to slow down in places because of all the people and you will have to stop for red lights.

My advice would be to focus in on a few must see's in NY - there's no way to do it all in one day. Personally, for a first trip I would not waste time walking from uptown to downtown - I would take the subway. Walk around downtown - World Trade Center to Battery Park and the Statue of Liberty back to Wall St. and perhaps the seaport. Then take the train uptown (or even the bus) to Herald Square (34th & 6th) and walk to the Empire State, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, and back to Penn Station or Path. If the SOL is your priority, then you need to start downtown. Midtown will be better later in the day or evening.

Hi Meg,

You wrote this on a post in Oct(21 I think)...........

it's really about 4 miles and yes, it is about 50 bucks....that's cab fare OR a town car......(sometimes when hotels call a cab, you get a car....it's the same price...) we paid $40, but that wsa a couple years back....we are rounding up due to gas, inflation and just to be on the high side....

check my blog (link below in my signature) for info.....

the reason fare on www.njtransit.com is MORE from EWR airport station to NYC than from Newark Penn station to NYC is because there is a $5.00 collected by the airport authority to use the station and the airltrain.....BUT lets call a spade a spade, it's a fee/tax or whatever!):eek:

at night, if it was me, (and i've done it before) i would take the nj transit train back to the EWR station and then take airtrain to P4 (whatever it's called....the monorail thinggie....brain freeze) and call the hotel shuttle. I would NOT take a train into NEWARK Penn station at night.....ick!

i would not haul luggage on NJ transit buses......take a cab.....:) and i am not sure about walking around spring street...the roads up there are HECTIC on a good day.....don't want you to be roadkill! quote meg.

In the red print,"take the NJ transit back to EWR" ---catch the NJ transit from where?? NYC I assume, but from where in NYC.

Thanks,

Frank

Hi Carol, after I posted this post, I saw where you posted a reply for my earlier post. thanks so much for the ideas.

Frank - when you decide on a plan, come back and we can fill in some of the details. For example, rush hour strategies. Path originates at Newark Penn Station, so if you go to the front or back of the train and are willing to let a train go by, you can usually get a seat on the next train. Rush hour means everyone else is hurrying to work, but you are on vacation and can afford spend a few more minutes. Also, you may need information about which subway or bus to take between uptown and downtown Manhattan. Bus between South Ferry and midtown is showing about 50 minutes on the schedule (you can't walk it faster than that) whereas subway would be 20-25 minutes.

Another thing I think you can do is to buy a round trip from Newark airport to Newark - $7.75 x 2. If you decide to come back by train, you can buy a New York to Newark ticket for $4.00 - that's $11.75 instead of $15. Go figure! Trust me - after a day in New York you will be trashed and will want the quickest way back. From midtown and that is the train.

i was on the explorer last month. a couple years ago before my first time on the explorer out of bayonne we did a 'dry run' at about 3 just before she was leaving at 4. we went right into the terminal and out again. i don't know if a ship is not in if you are allowed in but i can see no reason why not. except for the condos they're building there is nothing there. when you arrive you stop at the tented area and throw your bags out to an attendant and then continue on to parking. checkin i found to be relatively easy and it is broken up into decks. so deck 1 has their own check-in counter, etc. when you enter the terminal you through the security scanner. i am a coke drinker but do not like the fountain drinks that they serve when you buy the coke card so i entered security with a carryon with wheels filled with bottles of coke. scanned and entered - not a problem. once checked in we got the shuttle over to the ship. if you enter the ship and walk up 1 flight of stairs it will be easier to get an elevator to the windjammer for some lunch. by 1:30 cabins were ready and i was able to drop my carry on off. i asked the cabin attendant to empty the mini bar for my 'medication' which she did and i filled it with my coke. then head on to the promenade because there will be raffles for free portofino dinner, etc. at 3:30 was muster and what we usually do is i take the life jackets back to the room while my husband beats feet over to dizzys/viking crown lounge for a good seat to view going under the verrazano narrows bridge. you can find this and more at my blog cruiseadventure4u.com.

Archived