Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

You ever SEE jersey drivers???? I aint scrapin you up off the road when you are ROADKILL!.....

:D:p.......i actually think it is farther than that though!

What's up with the Jersey drivers. They're no worse than many others I've seen.

OK, so maybe it's a mile & 1/2 but still not that far to walk IF they'll let me in the port on foot. So far all I see is the light rail & bus service that seem to end at the front of the port and then suggest different taxi's to call.

I'll let you know if I find out anything to the contrary. ;)

When I was there in February, there didn't seem to be any open checkpoints to get into the port. Even if there were, I don't think they would stop you if you had the cruise documents. However, as I recall the road was narrow with no sidewalks and no paved shoulders and - Meg is right - very impatient drivers anxious to get into or out of the port. Not a place I'd pick for a long stroll with cruise luggage!

When I was there in February, there didn't seem to be any open checkpoints to get into the port. Even if there were, I don't think they would stop you if you had the cruise documents. However, as I recall the road was narrow with no sidewalks and no paved shoulders and - Meg is right - very impatient drivers anxious to get into or out of the port. Not a place I'd pick for a long stroll with cruise luggage!

You people sound as though the drivers were actually out to mow down the walkers. :eek:

I've found a place to park my car for the cruise (real close by) & I really don't want to inconvenience anyone to drive me to the terminal. I'll drop off my wife with the luggage, go back to drop off the car & return to the terminal on foot. (provided they let me walk):p

That sounds like a plan. I would definitely keep my cruise documents with me. Hope you get lucky and get a lift.

Did you make a private parking arrangement or is this an arrangement that others could take advantage of?

That sounds like a plan. I would definitely keep my cruise documents with me. Hope you get lucky and get a lift.

Did you make a private parking arrangement or is this an arrangement that others could take advantage of?

We know someone who lives on 34 th. street in Bayonne and I never realized how close it was to the pier. I don't mind asking to leave the car but really don't want to inconvenience them for a ride when it's so close. We're hardly ever in Jersey but since we are going to be there in Aug/Sept I thought why not take advantage of a trip to Bermuda since there aren't any cruises leaving from Florida & we love Bermuda. :p

I couldn't contact anyone about walking into the cruise pier but I did see that RCI provides a shuttle to their ships from the light rail station.

"• Royal Caribbean International will provide a complimentary shuttle bus between the light rail station and

Cape Liberty Cruise Port"

I'm assuming that this is not an old publication.

I couldn't contact anyone about walking into the cruise pier but I did see that RCI provides a shuttle to their ships from the light rail station.

"• Royal Caribbean International will provide a complimentary shuttle bus between the light rail station and

Cape Liberty Cruise Port"

I'm assuming that this is not an old publication.

Well.......this is news to me! possible yes......but who knows...we all know how great a job RCCL does with disseminating correct and timely info!

as long as you know it's not a great walk........you should be oK......if they let pedestrians into the port................it is NOT paved however......just the road which is kind of busted up due to construction(they are building condos!)

You ever SEE jersey drivers???? I aint scrapin you up off the road when you are ROADKILL!.....

:D:p.......i actually think it is farther than that though!

I agree. And just because a traffic light is red or green it does not mean you have the right of way!! Even though there are no traffic lights at Cape Liberty.......... Value your life.......Take a cab!!!

North Jersey is not Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. I know because I lived in Hollywood, FL for 15 years!! Cape Liberty does not have a walkway for pedestrians. I am a walker and yes, I would probably do it if there was somewhere to walk!!!!!!!!

Travel safely!!!!

Regards,

Happy cruising,

NewJersey222:):p

Marie

I tried to call the port & find out more info about walking by couldn't get any real person to talk to. I agree that the port must be very congested but it couldn't possibly be a hectic as some describe. Even if we don't do a cruise during our visit I'll be sure to visit the port on a Sat or Sunday just to find out how bad the situation really is & report back with pictures of the area. It almost sounds as though they want to keep the taxi's in business by limiting the foot traffic. More to follow......

Anyone know how much cab fare is from Newark International to Cape Liberty Pier?

Also, what is the Holiday Inn Newark area hotel like? Area safe? Clean? How far is this from the Airport as well.

Thanks in advance

Michelle

Hi Michelle

I've heard that cab fare is around $40 to $50 from Newark Airport. This is what we are figuring on for our trip in September. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Newark Airport. I stayed there by myself last year, when I cruised with a friend. I felt very secure and had no issues being a woman alone. The restaurant was good too!

Hi Meg,and Carol,

You folks thought I disappeared didn't you:p No, I am still here to bother you with questions. :D

It looks like I will take the Crowne Plaza shuttle to the Airport(Station P-4) then take bus 62 from Terminal C to Newark Penn Station to catch the PATH to WTC and do the same coming back. Now, my trusted travel agents..what do you think ?

Frank

Frank - I'm seeing the schedule for Bus 62 and it looks good - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0062.pdf. Here's the comment on the terminal times:

Buses stop at Terminals A, B & C in the Bus Lane. Buses arrive at Terminal B two to three minutes

after the times shown for Terminal A, and arrive at Terminal C four to six minutes after the times

shown for Terminal A.

It looks like the fare might be $2.65 since it is three zones. That means you can get to NY for $4.40. However, my advice about the return trip still holds. Be sure you will feel comfortable waiting for the return bus at Newark Station. If not, splurge and take the train to Newark Airport station and the airtrain to P4 for the hotel shuttle.

The 62 bus actually stops 1/4 mile from your hotel. However, we really don't recommend walking in that area.

Here's Your Best Route...

From 901 Spring St. to RT 1 & 9 & NORTH AVE.

orange_pixel.gif Walk approx. 2 blocks on Spring St. Turn right on North Ave E. Walk a short distance on North Ave E. orange_pixel.gif

Also, there are half price reduced fares if you are 62 or older.

Hi,

Thank you ladies for the info....(again:))

I have been reading the post everyday, But since I am such a nice guy, I decided to let some other folks ask you some questions too!!!:D

My question before I go nitie night..Is Cape Liberty(the cruise port) the same place as Liberty State Park ?:confused:.

One final thought...

Do Roman paramedics refer to IV's as "4's"? :):D

Frank

I don't know if I'm being thick or what, but I just can't get my brain round this!:confused:

I've looked at the Ellis Island website and understand I can get from Newark Penn station via the PATH to Exchange and the Light Rail to Liberty Park then the bus shuttle to the old rail terminal etc. The bit that bugs me is getting from the Marriott at the airport to Newark Penn. I thought I could use the Airtain to Newark Airport station and then do one stop up to Newark Penn, but looking on Amtrak's site thats around $47 for a 4 minute ride!! Is this right? and is this why Meg says get a cab to Newark Penn? How can they justify that price for a 4 minute journey?

Simon

If there is a better way, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks Carol,:)

Liberty Sate Park is where you get the ferry to the Statue of Liberty..right ?!

So my question for this morning(of course I'll have a question for noon-evening and night time too !!)

So in your opinion, would it be "more better" (yes, I taught English !!) to go to the Statue from Liberty Park or from Battery Park. "More better" meaning faster, less complicated, etc.

Thanks,

Frank

I don't know if I'm being thick or what, but I just can't get my brain round this!:confused:

I've looked at the Ellis Island website and understand I can get from Newark Penn station via the PATH to Exchange and the Light Rail to Liberty Park then the bus shuttle to the old rail terminal etc. The bit that bugs me is getting from the Marriott at the airport to Newark Penn. I thought I could use the Airtain to Newark Airport station and then do one stop up to Newark Penn, but looking on Amtrak's site thats around $47 for a 4 minute ride!! Is this right? and is this why Meg says get a cab to Newark Penn? How can they justify that price for a 4 minute journey?

Simon

If there is a better way, I'm open to suggestions.

You can take NJ Transit........should only be a couple bucks........and even Amtrak, being as thick as THEY are, shouldn't be 47 bucks to go like 3 or 4 miles......:eek:

but yes, that is why i said cab....probably cheaper...

www.njtransit.com

simon.....what you MAY want to do is try and contact someone at the hotel in case they have some other shuttles....

give this a shot...should get the General Manager and/or his/her assistant.

(this is Marriott's basic email format, so if it bounces back to you, many sorries!)

mhrs.ewrap.gm@marriott.com

Meg and I have had a long discussion with Knarf (Frank) on this thread about getting to Penn Station Newark from a hotel at the airport. You need to look at NJ Transit, not Amtrak. Are you staying at the Marriott or the Marriott Courtyard? If you are staying at the Marriott, you can walk to one of the terminals and catch the bus (#62) to Newark Station. Otherwise you need to take the hotel shuttle to the P4 stop on airtrain and either go to one of the terminals for the bus or buy a train ticket to Newark Penn Station ($7.75).

Read Frank's posts and our replies and then come back if you have more questions. Another option for you is to stay on PATH into NY, walk to Battery Park, and take the boat from there to Ellis Island. However, you should probably have reservations to do this.

Meg and I have had a long discussion with Knarf (Frank) on this thread about getting to Penn Station Newark from a hotel at the airport. You need to look at NJ Transit, not Amtrak. Are you staying at the Marriott or the Marriott Courtyard? If you are staying at the Marriott, you can walk to one of the terminals and catch the bus (#62) to Newark Station. Otherwise you need to take the hotel shuttle to the P4 stop on airtrain and either go to one of the terminals for the bus or buy a train ticket to Newark Penn Station ($7.75).

Read Frank's posts and our replies and then come back if you have more questions. Another option for you is to stay on PATH into NY, walk to Battery Park, and take the boat from there to Ellis Island. However, you should probably have reservations to do this.

Yup...........Simon, you & frank must be related...you all want to do the same stuff (well sort of) and that's swell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dang...7.75?? that's that stupid airport access fes (translation TAX)...it'slike what, 4 bucks on NJT via rail into NYC from Newark Penn...talk about a racket....[that would by why they filmed the 'sopranos' here!]:rolleyes::eek::D

Archived