Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

Meg we are staying at the Courtyard by Marriott in Elizabeth, New Jersey. It looks like it is very close to the airport. I have checked it out and it seems to be a pretty nice place to stay.

you're good.......a/p shuttle, right next to jersey gardens mall, jersey gardens diner, ruby tuesday and that's it. and even though they made me mad in Feb (renovating and not saying...long story short!) the place will be done and nice by the time you get there (i think...i forget when you are going) and the GM really went above and beyond to make it up to me....................so i would stay there again....................:p

frank...if you are going to do all that carp, i would suck it up, pay the extra money and just take the train into the city from EWR..........(but PATH gets you closer to where you want to go.)

You COULD see if the hotel shuttle will take you.....or do what I would do and take your hotel shuttle to EWR and then get the Newark downtown hilton shuttle to THAT hotel and walk over to the RR station..........that would be free....a little more time consuming but what the heck!

Update- I won the Hilton Newark- Elizabeth area from priceline. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Any idea how much a cab is to the Pier from here.

Thanks again

Michelle

40-50 bucks................roughly. you could also call a car service...same price! we used www.blackexecutivecars.com and they were quick to reply and very reliable...IIRC it was 45 bucks.......they brought an SUV for all our stuff which was fine, but a little hard for my mom to climb into.........they would have brought a car had they realized..........

hth........sorry , i was traveling yesterday and today and didn't get a chance to haul out the laptop!

40-50 bucks................roughly. you could also call a car service...same price! we used www.blackexecutivecars.com and they were quick to reply and very reliable...IIRC it was 45 bucks.......they brought an SUV for all our stuff which was fine, but a little hard for my mom to climb into.........they would have brought a car had they realized..........

hth........sorry , i was traveling yesterday and today and didn't get a chance to haul out the laptop!

Thanks for the response, Meg.

Is the Car service $45 for one person? Or do they have a Min. number of passengers?

What are your thoughts on the Hilton? Is it safe for a single woman arriving around 11ish pm?

Thanks for the response, Meg.

Is the Car service $45 for one person? Or do they have a Min. number of passengers?

What are your thoughts on the Hilton? Is it safe for a single woman arriving around 11ish pm?

hey michelle...no minimum.......it's per car..........same with a taxi.....

you are at the hilton closer to the airport as there is one downtown too ( in newark)...it should be fine, but there is nothing around........

they have a 24 hour a/p shuttle, 24 hour room service...and their bar is open til after midnight with light snacks if you are hungry....

i think you will be fine. if you are looking for a place to buy any last minute stuff, you're out of luck unless you hop a cab to stop n shop (grocery store).......if you click the link below to my blog there is info about stores and all.

are you just coming for a night???

hey michelle...no minimum.......it's per car..........same with a taxi.....

you are at the hilton closer to the airport as there is one downtown too ( in newark)...it should be fine, but there is nothing around........

they have a 24 hour a/p shuttle, 24 hour room service...and their bar is open til after midnight with light snacks if you are hungry....

i think you will be fine. if you are looking for a place to buy any last minute stuff, you're out of luck unless you hop a cab to stop n shop (grocery store).......if you click the link below to my blog there is info about stores and all.

are you just coming for a night???

Hopefully I won't need any last minute stuff....:cool:

Is the area safe? I'm a nervous individual to begin with so travelling alone makes me even worse.....:o

Yup, one night only. My flight arrives around 11:30pm....Stupid me, I chose the late one out of Seattle so I wouldn't have to leave at o'dark early and drive all night.:cool:

Just to say if you want to use Meg's recommended service it may be worth contacting them quickly. I emailed them last week for a quote and they're not taking any more bookings for the day of our sailing (5th April)

Greetings - The limos are just getting too expensive so I'm seriously considering driving and parking. However, I'm curious if there is any ship repair underway at the end of the dock? I remember from years ago that there were all sorts of issues with overspray that got onto a lot of parked EOS passenger cars. I would appreciate feedback or input from anyone who has been there recently. Thanks!!!

Parking has been fine for the last two seasons - no issues with the cars. All they need to do is to solve the traffic pattern issues. If they would put a second entrance to the parking from the main road, I think a lot of folks would park first and hump their luggage the short distance to the embarkation tent to avoid waiting in the dropoff line. They could even put up another tent and offer some sort of valet luggage check in - I know I would throw a few bucks at that!

frank...if you are going to do all that carp, i would suck it up, pay the extra money and just take the train into the city from EWR..........(but PATH gets you closer to where you want to go.)

You COULD see if the hotel shuttle will take you.....or do what I would do and take your hotel shuttle to EWR and then get the Newark downtown hilton shuttle to THAT hotel and walk over to the RR station..........that would be free....a little more time consuming but what the heck!

Meg, In the RED, do you mean take the NJ Transit train into NYC ? If so, would I 'Catch' the train at the EWR airport station and take it directly into NYC ?

Hi carol,

You said, "If you could get a bus to Newark station" ...do you mean catch a bus to Newark Penn Station to get on the Path ?

Thanks for your patience.

Frank

We are flying into Kennedy Airport and was wondering what is the best way (inexpensive) for 4 people with about 5 or 6 cases to get to the Doubletree in Jersey City? Has anyone ever stayed at the Doubletree in Jersey City? Is it clean and safe?

Meg, In the RED, do you mean take the NJ Transit train into NYC ? If so, would I 'Catch' the train at the EWR airport station and take it directly into NYC ?

Hi carol,

You said, "If you could get a bus to Newark station" ...do you mean catch a bus to Newark Penn Station to get on the Path ?

Frank

YUP www.njtransit.com

i think carol means taking the bus right into NYC.........to the Port Authority terminal. There is Academy, Coach and NJT (i think!)

We are flying into Kennedy Airport and was wondering what is the best way (inexpensive) for 4 people with about 5 or 6 cases to get to the Doubletree in Jersey City? Has anyone ever stayed at the Doubletree in Jersey City? Is it clean and safe?

It should be clean and safe, but IMO Doubletrees can go either way.......(not as clean...but i used to be a housekeeping manager for another hotel so i'm picky!)

As for getting there NYC cabs do NOT have to come into NJ as they can't pick up return fares.....

check out one of these..

www.carmellimo.com

www.dial7.com

or arecibo (you should be able to google them- try www.arecibocc.com)

Just to say if you want to use Meg's recommended service it may be worth contacting them quickly. I emailed them last week for a quote and they're not taking any more bookings for the day of our sailing (5th April)

I sent them an email last night. If they don't reply by this evening, I will send another. :)

Anyone know how much cab fare is from Newark International to Cape Liberty Pier?

Also, what is the Holiday Inn Newark area hotel like? Area safe? Clean? How far is this from the Airport as well.

Thanks in advance

Michelle

Hello Michelle,

Cab fare from Newark Airport to Cape Liberty: around $40 - $50. plus tip.

Regards,

NewJersey222

Marie

Frank,

Meg, In the RED, do you mean take the NJ Transit train into NYC ? If so, would I 'Catch' the train at the EWR airport station and take it directly into NYC ? This is an option.

Hi carol,

You said, "If you could get a bus to Newark station" ...do you mean catch a bus to Newark Penn Station to get on the Path ? Yes

Frank

Frank - it is hard to figure out your priorities. Are they finding the cheapest way to NY or the most reasonable way balancing effort, time and cost? The train goes from Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station. Airport to Newark is $7.75. Newark to NY is $4.00. Airport to NY is $15. It doesn't make sense and it doesn't add up. You should be able to buy the individual legs of the trip from the NJ transit ticket machines. An off peak Newark-NY round trip is $7.00

Pull up a map of Newark airport and the air train. http://www.panynj.gov/airtrainnewark/around_ewr.html

Path leaves from Newark Penn Station and goes to downtown NY(WTC) or uptown NY (Herald Sq) with a change at Journal Square.

Please read my previous posting about the possibility of using the bus. Please start another thread to ask about buses in Newark. There was someone out there who posted detailed information about local Newark buses, particularly from the airport hotel area to Newark Penn Station and New York. The fare he mentioned from Newark to NY was $5-$6.

My personal choice is always the train. I don't like the bus. It has to be substantially cheaper for me to choose a bus over the train. I like the idea of the shuttle to P4, and AirTrain to Newark Station. To go to midtown I would just stay on the train to NY Penn Station. To go downtown I would take Path. I would prepurchase my tickets in "legs" to save the extra money. This is a well traveled route - no standing out on a Newark St. waiting for the bus. It's hard to get lost and it's safe in the evening. It might take longer than a bus, but it might not - it all depends on the Lincoln Tunnel traffic.

It appears that the entrance to the port located off Prospect Ave?

Did I read somewhere that you're not allowed to walk to the ship? I have a place to store my car when on the cruise & have the option of dropping my wife at the terminal & then leaving my car & walking to the ship. Is this possible?

It appears that the entrance to the port located off Prospect Ave?

Did I read somewhere that you're not allowed to walk to the ship? I have a place to store my car when on the cruise & have the option of dropping my wife at the terminal & then leaving my car & walking to the ship. Is this possible?

no it is a little too far and too much traffic..plus i really dont think they let you walk into the port area.....IMO you'd be roadkill

Frank,

My personal choice is always the train. I don't like the bus. It has to be substantially cheaper for me to choose a bus over the train. I like the idea of the shuttle to P4, and AirTrain to Newark Station. T

the airtrain goes to the EWR airport Amtrak/NJTransit RR station...not the one in downtown newark..............i just want to make sure no one is confused.............:p

no it is a little too far and too much traffic..plus i really dont think they let you walk into the port area.....IMO you'd be roadkill

From the main entrance it doesn't appear to be that far- 3 or 4K feet. I'll have to give the port a call & see if I can walk.

IN fort Lauderdale & Miami there's no problem with walking to the port - I can't see why it would be much different.

Meg,

Thanks for the clarification re Frank. I know what I want to say, but I didn't quite say it. That's why I want him to look at the maps. BTW, I'm back in NJ for a couple of days. Got Mom out of Merwick today. Will stay until we see some Dr's on Tuesday.

As far as Rcacace goes - I say if he wants to walk, let him walk! Maybe someone will take pity on him and give him a lift. I'm assuming he is coming by the light rail - it would make a great story if he were to post it. I haven't ever seen a post where anyone admitted to taking the light rail or the bus from Port Authority to Bayonne. However, if we polled the crew members, I bet they know all about it. Don't see them spending $75 for a cab to NY.

From the main entrance it doesn't appear to be that far- 3 or 4K feet. I'll have to give the port a call & see if I can walk.

IN fort Lauderdale & Miami there's no problem with walking to the port - I can't see why it would be much different.

You ever SEE jersey drivers???? I aint scrapin you up off the road when you are ROADKILL!.....

:D:p.......i actually think it is farther than that though!

Meg,

Thanks for the clarification re Frank. I know what I want to say, but I didn't quite say it. That's why I want him to look at the maps. BTW, I'm back in NJ for a couple of days. Got Mom out of Merwick today. Will stay until we see some Dr's on Tuesday.

As far as Rcacace goes - I say if he wants to walk, let him walk! Maybe someone will take pity on him and give him a lift. I'm assuming he is coming by the light rail - it would make a great story if he were to post it. I haven't ever seen a post where anyone admitted to taking the light rail or the bus from Port Authority to Bayonne. However, if we polled the crew members, I bet they know all about it. Don't see them spending $75 for a cab to NY.

glad mom is doing better.

Archived