Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

Ok I just booked the Courtyard by Marriott in Elizabeth, New Jersey. For those of you who live there is that a good choice ? What would they have around our hotel for us to do ? Do ya'll know if they have free shuttle to pick us up at the airport ? If so would we call them to pick us up or do they just come and go at specific times ? We will be arriving at the airport around 2:00 pm so we should have a little time to do something close by.

Is anyone else staying near this hotel ?

this hotel is adjacent to the Residence Inn, Country Inn and Suites, Extended Stay America. Its a decent hotel and about the only thing to do in this area is to check out the Jersey Gardens Mall, a short walk. As far as the airport shuttle is concerned, you probably need to call once your get your luggage, but call the hotel and doublecheck.

Ok I just booked the Courtyard by Marriott in Elizabeth, New Jersey. For those of you who live there is that a good choice ? What would they have around our hotel for us to do ? Do ya'll know if they have free shuttle to pick us up at the airport ? If so would we call them to pick us up or do they just come and go at specific times ? We will be arriving at the airport around 2:00 pm so we should have a little time to do something close by.

Is anyone else staying near this hotel ?

yes it's a great choice.....they are renovating-not sure when they will be done.

yes there is an a/p shuttle....you can call....but it runs, i want to say every 20 minutes-ish or so.

you can go here if you want: outlets (no CVS or grocery there though)

www.jerseygardens.com (across the street..you can wak or maybe the shuttle will drop you)

you can eat here... www.jerseygardensdiner.net

check my blog below too!

if you need a ride to the pier: www.blackexecutivecars.com prompt, reliable and they answer emails.

hello we will be staying in nyc post cruise , can anyone tell me best way to get there then back to newark airport .cost of cabs ,tranfers etc.

many thanks

mike

probably private car...NJ cabs don't have to go to NY sothey willpretty much charge you double the meter (ish) and round trip tolls...

check www.carmlelimo.com

www.dial7.com

I BELIEVE NY cabs WILL go to EWR, but again...not sure of the fare.....

if you don't have a lot of stuff..you MAY want to consider checking out NJ Transit

www.njtransit.com

We are about 4 hours away (with no traffic) how close is this Econolodge you posted? I dont know the diff. between Bayonne & Jersey City.

PS. Thanks so much for posting all this stuff, it has made it easier for me to decide when to leave.

Hi. This is a great thread. I have been reading it every week or so.

My sister and I are going on the Explorer in November. I made reservations at the Days Hotel nere Newark airport. Is this a mistake?? :confused: I have not seen anything posted on this hotel.

We are about 4 hours away (with no traffic) how close is this Econolodge you posted? I dont know the diff. between Bayonne & Jersey City.

PS. Thanks so much for posting all this stuff, it has made it easier for me to decide when to leave.

they are probably 15 minutes apart....to be honest, i would SKIP econo lodges......some of them can be in lousy areas.......not sure what rate you got...i would keep looking!

I would also skip the holland motor lodge....."motor Lodge" and New Jersey are not to be used in the same sentence.....the very low end motels in bigger towns in NJ tend to get lots of, shall i say, people who have no place else to go....TRUST ME!

stick to more well known brands-especially up in that area...you may have to pay more, but you will be happier, safer and more comfortable.

Hi. This is a great thread. I have been reading it every week or so.

My sister and I are going on the Explorer in November. I made reservations at the Days Hotel nere Newark airport. Is this a mistake?? :confused: I have not seen anything posted on this hotel.

To be honest..yes. It's hard to get to...nothing around....and is basically lousy.........

you have plenty of time...keep looking. click the link in my blog for ideas.

Hi thanks to both of you for offering help! I have a question for you. I will be flying in to Newark on Porter on a Friday around noon. I hear there is a bus that takes you right in to NY that you can get from the airport. Could either of you tell me where in the airport I can find the bus, what the bus is called and where I should get off (I am staying at the Marriott Time Square 114 West 40th St.). Thanks!

I hope you have looked at the luggage restrictions for Porter. You can check 2 pieces that weigh a total of 50LBs. That is the total combined weight for both pieces. Anything over gets a $5.00 per KG charge. For any 9+ night cruise going out of Bayonne 50LBs is very minimal. I was looking at Porter, as it flies out of the Toronto Island airport, but the extra cost for luggage would be expensive.

I wouldn't think of staying here and I'm as cheap as it gets. I travel this area frequently. Don't stay at any of the hotels along Tonnele Ave./Routes 1&9. Truck traffic will be non stop all hours of the night.

I wouldn't think of staying here and I'm as cheap as it gets. I travel this area frequently. Don't stay at any of the hotels along Tonnele Ave./Routes 1&9. Truck traffic will be non stop all hours of the night.

I've always thought of those motels as being a place for the drug pushers & prostitutes. Not a family motel area for sure. ;)

Unfortunately there are not many Motels/Hotels in Jersey that are less expensive & located in decent areas. :(

In March 2008 - I stayed at the Holiday Inn Newark Airport by myself. As a woman alone, I caught the hotel shuttle from Newark Airport. I felt secure enough, spent the night, and friends picked me up on the way to the port to catch the Exporer for our 9-night Eastern Caribbean. I have this same hotel booked for September for our 1-night pre-cruise stay. The restauant was fine, may be a bit overpriced, but food both for dinner and breakfast buffet was good.

I have a room booked at $96 including taxes for September. When checking for our upcoming stay, I noticed that check in is 1:00PM that is like 2+ hours earlier than most hotels. Since we're flying on a red-eye being able to check in that early will be good!

The room was nice enough for me to stay again this September. Hope that helps. Only thing is that there isn't anything around there to walk to. But we're not planning to. Just get our room and veg out, have dinner there, then off to the port in the am. Except for a side trip to the Stop 'N Shop for some Pepsi to take on board.

Hope this information also helps.

Hi,

We will be staying at the Crowne Plaza in Elizabeth, NJ. Didn't see it on this site: http://www.hotelsbythepier.com/index...iberty-bayonne

Could you see what hotel it is near ?

I have read on these boards about a bus into NYC and also read about the Path into NYC..How far from our hotel would it be to "catch" these modes of transportation ? We will have no luggage, just sightseeing trips.

A couple of posts made it sound like cheap direct bus transportation is close by ?? Thank you so much, and it is really nice of you to offer all of us your help.

Very sincerely,

Frank

Hi,

We will be staying at the Crowne Plaza in Elizabeth, NJ. Didn't see it on this site: http://www.hotelsbythepier.com/index...iberty-bayonne

Could you see what hotel it is near ?

I have read on these boards about a bus into NYC and also read about the Path into NYC..How far from our hotel would it be to "catch" these modes of transportation ? We will have no luggage, just sightseeing trips.

A couple of posts made it sound like cheap direct bus transportation is close by ?? Thank you so much, and it is really nice of you to offer all of us your help.

Very sincerely,

Frank

that map is out of date. (and the link was not working, but i figured it out!)..the wyndham isn't a wyndham...it is something else....there is a wyndham garden now but it isn;t on the map...i think the one on the map that says wyndham is now a renaissance....(but i forget) and the four points isn;t there anymore either...maybe THAT's the Crowne Plaza??? I forget.....sorry.

Its OK...there isn't really anything around to eat. As for getting into NY...I am not good at the buses....

check www.njtransit.com also, you may want to phone the hotel and ask them.

i know if you are over at country inn/courtyard or residence inn newark/elizabeth, the bus is across the street-ish...i saw bunches of buses when we stayed there......

to get to the PATH you would need to cab it to Newark Penn station and hop on! www.panynj.com you could also take the NJ Transit train from there OR from the airport. (costs more though as there is a fee to access the airport fare gates and such....don't ask...call it another one of NJ's happy little "taxes" that isn't technically called a tax!!:eek:

HTH

feel free to email me at cruisermeg at verizon dot net if you need other info....off to sleep now....will check tomorrow...just put CC inthe subject!

Hi Meg and "others"

Thank you for getting back to my post on CC east coast dep. about Crowne Plaza and also thank you for the offer to answer some questions for me.

We will be staying at Crowne Plaza Hotel on 901 Spring Street, Elizabeth, NJ in October 28 and 29. '09.

I was planning on going into NYC and making my way to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island for about 3-4 hours. Someone said it might be better to go from Liberty Island Park to these locations-cheaper and quicker than going into NYC. May I have your thoughts on this. If it is "more better" ( yes, I taught English in PA) to go from LSP than from NYC. Would it be quicker and easier ? How would I best get to LSP from our hotel and back. I am sure the hotel will be able to help me with that question too. Thank you so much for your help. Never been to your part of the "country" before, but my Dad came through Ellis Island and I would like to visit there.

Thank you so much for your help.

Sincerely,

Frank

Hi Meg and "others"

Thank you for getting back to my post on CC east coast dep. about Crowne Plaza and also thank you for the offer to answer some questions for me.

We will be staying at Crowne Plaza Hotel on 901 Spring Street, Elizabeth, NJ in October 28 and 29. '09.

I was planning on going into NYC and making my way to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island for about 3-4 hours. Someone said it might be better to go from Liberty Island Park to these locations-cheaper and quicker than going into NYC. May I have your thoughts on this. If it is "more better" ( yes, I taught English in PA) to go from LSP than from NYC. Would it be quicker and easier ? How would I best get to LSP from our hotel and back. I am sure the hotel will be able to help me with that question too. Thank you so much for your help. Never been to your part of the "country" before, but my Dad came through Ellis Island and I would like to visit there.

Thank you so much for your help.

Sincerely,

Frank

Try staying in Jersey City, NJ......It's closer to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island and easy train ride to NYC.

Sheraton Four Points now Crowne Plaza

Wyndham now Renaissance

Newark Airport Hotel now Renissance

Ramada now Wyndham Garden

it looks like the only way to get to Liberty State Park using public transportation is to take the Hudson Bergen Light Rail to the Liberty State Park Station and then hop on the #305 Shuttle Bus.

I just want to thank each and everyone of you that are helping us with our hotels/restaurants etc. That is extemely nice of you. We truly appreciate everything. I have to tell ya'll that food at that diner looks wondeful. I will not know what to order. :rolleyes::p Ok so this diner is across the street from Courtyard by Marriott ? Is the mall across the street also ? Thanks again, Janice

Frank,

I am assuming that you do not have a car. You have two choices to get to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty - Ferries run from Liberty State Park in NJ and Battery Park in NY. There are websites for both places - check them out to see what suits. The ferry service from NY is much more frequent, but reservations are recommended. The ferry service from NJ is not so frequent and not as popular.

I would recommend taking the airtrain from the airport to Newark Penn Station (not NY). This is $7.75. At Newark Station take the PATH train to NY ($1.75). If you want to go to Liberty State Park, get off at Exhchange Place and take the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail to the park ($1.90 ???). If you want to go to Battery Park, go one more stop to the World Trade Center and either walk down Broadway (passing Wall St. and Trinity Church) to Battery Park, or walk up to Chambers St.and take the #1 train to South Ferry ($2.00)

I just want to thank each and everyone of you that are helping us with our hotels/restaurants etc. That is extemely nice of you. We truly appreciate everything. I have to tell ya'll that food at that diner looks wondeful. I will not know what to order. :rolleyes::p Ok so this diner is across the street from Courtyard by Marriott ? Is the mall across the street also ? Thanks again, Janice

You're welcome...the COurtyard (Newark/Elizabeth, on Glimcher Realty Way) is across the parking lot.....

the mall is across the street!

And the food IS good....and you're welcome!!!

Frank,

I am assuming that you do not have a car. You have two choices to get to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty - Ferries run from Liberty State Park in NJ and Battery Park in NY. There are websites for both places - check them out to see what suits. The ferry service from NY is much more frequent, but reservations are recommended. The ferry service from NJ is not so frequent and not as popular.

I would recommend taking the airtrain from the airport to Newark Penn Station (not NY). This is $7.75. At Newark Station take the PATH train to NY ($1.75). If you want to go to Liberty State Park, get off at Exhchange Place and take the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail to the park ($1.90 ???). If you want to go to Battery Park, go one more stop to the World Trade Center and either walk down Broadway (passing Wall St. and Trinity Church) to Battery Park, or walk up to Chambers St.and take the #1 train to South Ferry ($2.00)

Thanks Carol...i knew you'd have all that info!!!

Frank...I emailed you too....found a few helpful links....and Carol (138east) has also provided some helpful info!

Frank,

Thanks Carol for the info. I've been on both sites and have gotten a lot of information, but needed info on how to get from the hotel to either place, so thank you for the missing pieces!!

If we want to go to Ground Zero( which we do want to do), we could take the PATH from Newark Penn Station and it will take us right to World Trade center and from there we could walk to Battery Park ?????? If this is possible, what would be your 'guesstimate' as to how long it would take us to walk to Battery Park for the SOL ferry from Ground Zero ???????

Thank you again

Thanks Carol...i knew you'd have all that info!!!

Frank...I emailed you too....found a few helpful links....and Carol (138east) has also provided some helpful info!

Hi Meg,

I got your e-mail, thanks

Frank

Thanks Carol for the info. I've been on both sites and have gotten a lot of information, but needed info on how to get from the hotel to either place, so thank you for the missing pieces!!

If we want to go to Ground Zero( which we do want to do), we could take the PATH from Newark Penn Station and it will take us right to World Trade center and from there we could walk to Battery Park ?????? If this is possible, what would be your 'guesstimate' as to how long it would take us to walk to Battery Park for the SOL ferry from Ground Zero ???????

Thank you again

Hi Meg,

I got your e-mail, thanks

Frank

hmm...maybe 10 minutes...i did a quick google maps......i guesstimated....:confused:

but it looks close.....!;)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=New+York,+NY+10004+(Staten+Island+Ferry)&daddr=20+State+St,+New+York,+NY+10004+(Battery+Park)&geocode=FSQNbQId2qWW-yHprljM4XAgrw%3BFacUbQIdRKGW-yG2ayvfBV9Mvg&hl=en&mra=cc&rtol=0,1&dirflg=w&sll=40.703935,-74.014925&sspn=0.006653,0.019226&ie=UTF8&ll=40.701935,-74.014935&spn=0.006653,0.019226&t=h&z=16

and you are correct about the PATH...i used to take it from newark penn to exchange place (last stop before WTC)....easy ride....and the walk shouldn't be bad....it would be a cheap cab ride too.....and there's a couple hotels down there (a Marriott and a Ritz Carlton) in case you need to "rest" as i call it!!! lol!

Ok another question for any of you that live in the beautiful Canada/ New England states... We are scheduled to cruise from New Jersey on the Explorer of the Seas Sept. 17th, but I am wondering if this is too early for the changing of the leaves ? I really wanted to be able to see this.:)

Archived