Free WiFi in Eastern Caribbean Ports?

timothy998

I had a question...in lieue of spending upwards of 75 cents/minute for internet, are there some free WiFi signals in any of the ports we'll be in, that we can connect to next month? Does anyone remember the "names" of the free signals, please? Thank you. We're stopping in San Juan, St. Marteen/St. Martin, Grand Turk & Half Moon Cay.

I had a question...in lieue of spending upwards of 75 cents/minute for internet, are there some free WiFi signals in any of the ports we'll be in, that we can connect to next month? Does anyone remember the "names" of the free signals, please? Thank you. We're stopping in San Juan, St. Marteen/St. Martin, Grand Turk & Half Moon Cay.
Well, there definitely won't be any free wifi on HMC, and I haven't tried in those other ports.

BUT - you don't need to know any names. Just right-click on the Wireless icon and View Available Wireless Networks. If you find something unsecured, choose it.

There wasn't anything free 2 years ago, when we did this cruise. Good luck!

Chris

There's an internet cafe in St Maarten that charges I think 5 or 6 dollars an hour. They also have cokes for a couple of dollars and the place was pretty quiet when I was there.

One block back from the beachfront, on the far side of the road, upstairs place. the building has 2 ground floor wings (the upstairs joins the 2)nyou walk between them to the carpark at the back, where the staircase takes you upstairs, it's a pretty nondescript door but the internet speed is pretty good and it was quiet when I was there.

There's no real directions on the building of how to get there, but there's a few signs on there saying "internet cafe" or something similarly obvious.

Your other ports I can't provide info on, sorry. Hope this helps!

There's an internet cafe upstairs at the bookstore on Main St in Roadtown, Tortola - it's not free but pretty cheap and very friendly.

I don't know of any port in the Caribbean where you can sit on the ship and pick up a free WiFi signal from the port area.

• 2 years later...

A tip!!!

If you are with T mobile you can get a bolt on for around £15 for the month which will allow you to use the internet on your phone on the ship for no extra charge....so YES you can use the maritime network for free as long as you have the bolt on from T Mobile! The crew told me about this one at the end of my 4 month world cruise after i had spent over £500 on just the basics on the maritime network when we were at sea for 14 days or so at a time!!

In St. Thomas at Crown Bay, where HAL ships dock, there is now an Internet Cafe. We didn't use it but it is most likely the prices are very much lower than the ship's rates. If you don't feel like going downtown to find a cafe, try the one at the dock.

I found an unsecured signal in the shopping area just off the ship. Its outside the shop called 'Indigo'. most of the ship's crew were outside with their netbooks using the signal.

along the beach there is a bar called 'local village (?) and they have free wifi. (buy a drink they are very reasonable - beer $3.50)

I haven't seen a lot of free WiFi but unless you really need to use your notebook you might consider using one of the many internet cafes that dot port areas. Generally you can get 20 minutes of high speed for $2 - $3. Many of the internet cafes do offer WiFi at similar prices if you really need to use your own equipment.

Guess what I'm saying is that you are not going to save a significant amount of money searching out free hot spots. Especially if they are in places like Starbucks where a cup of coffee can cost more than 20 minutes in a for charge place.

Jacks shark at Grand Turk advertises they have free wifi. i guess just buy a drink or something so you use their free wifi

Bingo -

Jack Shack is a great place to hang out away from the Hoi-Polloi, check e-mail (bring your own iPad or Smartphone) and the drinks are cheap too!

:)

Archived