Silversea LA to Tahiti in February? Roll Call - Merged

denham76

Just a heads up to those embarking San Pedro on 2/7. Our local weather man just forcast a wet weather system for that period. It will probably be a cool sail away and a day or two of cool weather as we sail south.

Just a heads up to those embarking San Pedro on 2/7. Our local weather man just forcast a wet weather system for that period. It will probably be a cool sail away and a day or two of cool weather as we sail south.

After those two days we will be approx. latitude 21 degrees south (same as Honolulu) when opposite Cabo/Puerto Valarta. Unless you swim in the Pacific waters (diffinately cooler) you should take sun screen on deck. But a little cool weather goes well with a good dram of scotch whiskey. No sun screen required.:eek::eek:

Well I guess we won't be walking over to the ship from our hotel! Thanks for the heads up.

Just booked my own "bon voyage" gift through Silversea special services - 2 dinners in LC with a considerable savings and with only 11 days to go. My CC has been charged $300 and the vouchers will be in my suite. From the time e-mail sent to confirmation took approx 24 hrs. See you soon with a scotch in hand as opposed to a mai tai based on the weather reports, but then again I am from Vancouver so it might as well be a mai tai. Cheers

Just booked my own "bon voyage" gift through Silversea special services - 2 dinners in LC with a considerable savings and with only 11 days to go. My CC has been charged $300 and the vouchers will be in my suite. From the time e-mail sent to confirmation took approx 24 hrs. See you soon with a scotch in hand as opposed to a mai tai based on the weather reports, but then again I am from Vancouver so it might as well be a mai tai. Cheers

Scotch it is. Our preference is Dimple (called Pinch in the U.S.) or Dahlwinney, in a pinch =) It was complementary on our last voyage on SS . . .and on our last two voyages on SS, but the voyage before that Dimple was a premium while Dahwinney was complementary (go figure.) McCallam seems to be always complementary, along with the :mainstream brands."

Scotch it is. Our preference is Dimple (called Pinch in the U.S.) or Dahlwinney, in a pinch =) It was complementary on our last voyage on SS . . .and on our last two voyages on SS, but the voyage before that Dimple was a premium while Dahwinney was complementary (go figure.) McCallam seems to be always complementary, along with the :mainstream brands."

Can't remember the last time I had a pinch of Dimple; would you compare than with a Johnny Black? Was on Seabourn Odyssey today and made a quest to find a bar menu and take a photo of ths scotch offered. I failed. Bars all closed but for at the pool and they offer no menu. So what I could see on display was Laphroaig and Macallan 10 year (oak not sherry casks), Glennorengie and Glenvlivet. Ship sold out but four people missed her in LA so I saw Owenr's and Veranada suites. Both had Cutty Stark waiting for AWOL guests. Beyond belief! The ship carries no ale, only lagers. But will stock at guest request.

Thanks for the cheery news David! Oh well....makes for an adventure! I am sure there will be sun once we get to the Marquesas amd beyond. That's why we are doing the 26 days (after all....more chances for good weather!) And it is the best ship at sea, so let it rain!!!!!:D

I do not believe we will be too cold once we sail a few hundred miles SW of

LA. The islands weather will be humid with occasional rain showers.

Betty always says that, "the weather is the weather and you can't do

anything about it, so, make the best of what you have!"

Forecast is for 60% chance of rain, Temp. High 66*F Low 48*F

23 degrees here in Maryland, so 60 sounds perfect! Another good reason to fly to Papeete - instant warm weather! "They" say rain on a wedding day is good luck, wonder how that translates to the sea?!

Can't remember the last time I had a pinch of Dimple; would you compare than with a Johnny Black? Was on Seabourn Odyssey today and made a quest to find a bar menu and take a photo of ths scotch offered. I failed. Bars all closed but for at the pool and they offer no menu. So what I could see on display was Laphroaig and Macallan 10 year (oak not sherry casks), Glennorengie and Glenvlivet. Ship sold out but four people missed her in LA so I saw Owenr's and Veranada suites. Both had Cutty Stark waiting for AWOL guests. Beyond belief! The ship carries no ale, only lagers. But will stock at guest request.

Dimple works in a Pinch, but a preference, never seen on a cruise ship, is Old Sheepshead. Now Old Sheepshead may sound odd, but it is a very nice blend to my taste; the same maker produces "Pig's Nose," which he refers to as a "daytime Scotch." My kind of thinker.

Dimple is not like JW Black; there is a bit more peat on the nose, a touch of rosemary on the back of the throat, and a bit more tingle in the inner ear as it goes down. More like a JW Blue but not at all like JW Gold, if you know what I mean. A little bit of a cross between Dahwhinney and Buchanon 12 . . . . works best during a force 8 gale, with the salt spray seeping through the rotting timbers of the lower hold. The only thing better, in those circumstances, is a bit of Johnny Walker Swing but that, alas, has not been seen by me on any cruise ship of late. You?

Dimple is not like JW Black; there is a bit more peat on the nose, a touch of rosemary on the back of the throat, and a bit more tingle in the inner ear as it goes down. More like a JW Blue but not at all like JW Gold, if you know what I mean. A little bit of a cross between Dahwhinney and Buchanon 12 . . . . works best during a force 8 gale, with the salt spray seeping through the rotting timbers of the lower hold. The only thing better, in those circumstances, is a bit of Johnny Walker Swing but that, alas, has not been seen by me on any cruise ship of late. You?

Just to make you Scotch drinkers wince a little; the last time I tasted it, it was hot and had honey and lemon mixed with it. The best cure for a cold on this earth!!!!

Just to make you Scotch drinkers wince a little; the last time I tasted it, it was hot and had honey and lemon mixed with it. The best cure for a cold on this earth!!!!

Well, for a really BAD cold, try a cheap, warm grappa, in front of a weak fireplace, during a snow storm. Kill you or cure you, you will remember (if you live =)

This is getting serious. The bar stools might be by reservation only. Not trying to rain on the scotch pour but have you tasted WHITE HORSE? This is a blend but the flavour (favor for the Yanks) comes from a peat nose highlighted with LAGAVULIN from Isle Of Islay. I think a truely fine tasting scotch for a good price. But can't wait to pinch a Dimple and sigh and add a log to the harth.:p:p:p

This is getting serious. The bar stools might be by reservation only. Not trying to rain on the scotch pour but have you tasted WHITE HORSE? This is a blend but the flavour (favor for the Yanks) comes from a peat nose highlighted with LAGAVULIN from Isle Of Islay. I think a truely fine tasting scotch for a good price. But can't wait to pinch a Dimple and sigh and add a log to the harth.:p:p:p

WHITE HORSE is new to me but can't wait! At least one of us need to get in touch with Gerardo (head bartender in Panorama Lounge the last time we were onboard) and arrange a Scotch tasting. Gerardo is very knowledgeable about Scotch whiskey, having worked in 5-Star places in Scotland for years before joining Silversea. If we can get to him soon enought (like in the next few days! =) maybe he will bring on a few special bottles for the tasting; aybe even White Horse?

Years ago I bought a bottle of 17 year old Ballentine in London; I was just 21 and it was the oldest scotch I had ever heard of. I vowed to have a drink on my wedding day, another at the birth of my first child, and other significant events like that, as time went on. The damn bottle must have had a hole in it because it was gone in 4 months.

So, who has Gerardo's email address? Time is fleeting! (Thank God =)

Rally

Hang on. I am working on the scotch tasting idea. Get back when I have word.:):):):)

Spook, I am hanging on, but only by a thread . . . and a wee dram of Dimple =)In order to accommodate everyone and to be fair, there probably should be TWO tastings. . . .one LA - Papeete, one Papeete - LA (before we reach Honolulu, of course.)

"So, who has Gerardo's email address? Time is fleeting! (Thank God =) "

We do. Count us in on the tasting! We did one several years ago. Have also done vodka, gin and rum tastings - one of the perks of Silversea.

6 inches of snow here. Now we have to really focus on packing for Tahiti!

"So, who has Gerardo's email address? Time is fleeting! (Thank God =) "

We do. Count us in on the tasting! We did one several years ago. Have also done vodka, gin and rum tastings - one of the perks of Silversea.

6 inches of snow here. Now we have to really focus on packing for Tahiti!

I knew you would know his email address! If you don't mind, please send it to me as well (send to mikeferrari @ dc.rr.com but remove the space before and after the @)

We have also done a vodka tasting, on Regent, with Sommelier Craig and it was interesting. I am much more looking forward to the scotch tasting =) Maybe the second tasting should be a vertical?

I know what you mean about getting packed to get out of the cold weather! Why, it didn't even reach much past 70 degrees here in Palm Desert, CA. Brrrr.

Rally, It appears you will get the email address you need. If not I can pass on any message for you. The good news is Gerardo is still holding court in the Panorama Lounge and ready to pour. White Horse only a blend but the Lagavulin sets it off from like priced peers. Untill recently I was paying $10.79 a fifith. Now it is $6 more.

Archived