Fares to Miami -- I'm confused

elycelynne

Maybe it's because non-stop flights from O'Hare to Miami aren't plentiful in general, but I've been looking on American's website for early December (pre-holiday and pre-snowbirds -- leaving on the 5th and returning on the 13th), and fares for flights at a decent time of day seem exceedingly high -- like over $400. Seat availability is really good on the flights I checked, so I don't think it's a case of overwhelming demand for those flights.

So, to all the experts out there -- do the fares for Miami generally come down as the date gets closer? Southwest's fares to Ft. Lauderdale (which is where the cruise leaves from, but I've been checking O'Hare to Miami since hardly any airline except Spirit flies O'Hare to Ft. Lauderdale non-stop) for that time aren't available yet, but for late October, which is as far as they are available right now, they're just as bad.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

It's all about supply and demand and also what the competition is doing.

If you want to fly AA then when you go to their site be sure to click price and schedule rather than just schedule. I did that and if you leave on your outbound flight at around 4:30 PM you can get a direct R/T for close to $300.00. A quick review of other airlines flying out of ORD shows similar prices for direct flights.

If you want to fly with one stop you can probably get a flight for closer to $250.00 R/T or less.

And it's always good to know the prices and then watch them for a bit to see if you can catch something less, but there is never a guarantee.

Keith

Direct is not the same as non-stop.

OP - I am not sure where you are looking, but I see nonstops from ORD-MIA on your dates on AA for $329 - and this is available on many flights.

If you are willing to make one stop, you can find flights as low as $238 RT.

Look here:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

I guess smart minds think alike. This is pretty much what I thought I had said. :)

I know, when I said direct I should have said non stop.

So, two of us think the OP can do better.

Keith

I was looking at nonstops that left O'Hare at a reasonable hour in the morning, which apparently makes a big difference in price. Thanks for that Matrix link, 6rugrats. Searching is incredibly easy on that site. Apparently I have lots of options -- such as doing a 1-stop from Midway to Ft. Lauderdale. AirTran, for example, has some good prices -- has anyone ever flown them?

Remember that ITA is a search engine ONLY. You cannot book through that site, and you will have to take the info you get and then deal with a booking site or the airline directly.

Suggestion....take the info provided and be sure to specify "search by schedule" rather than by "price". Doing this, select intermediate cities in the routing and times that match the departures to get the specific flights. Select them and then get the pricing AFTER you have plugged in the correct flights. A bit different than what most people are used to doing (which is to default to "price") but it will force those selections into an itinerary which then gets priced out by the best fare rules that fit.

Maybe it's because non-stop flights from O'Hare to Miami aren't plentiful in general, but I've been looking on American's website for early December (pre-holiday and pre-snowbirds -- leaving on the 5th and returning on the 13th), and fares for flights at a decent time of day seem exceedingly high -- like over $400. Seat availability is really good on the flights I checked, so I don't think it's a case of overwhelming demand for those flights.

So, to all the experts out there -- do the fares for Miami generally come down as the date gets closer? Southwest's fares to Ft. Lauderdale (which is where the cruise leaves from, but I've been checking O'Hare to Miami since hardly any airline except Spirit flies O'Hare to Ft. Lauderdale non-stop) for that time aren't available yet, but for late October, which is as far as they are available right now, they're just as bad.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

First off, I'd never book a flight this far out.

Then, consider Southwest from Midway to Ft. Lauderdale.... Right now they are showing specials of 84.00 each way and lower on some dates.

If you monitor their website, register with them, they will notify when December fares are available.

I fly them all the time from Philly to FLL - they always have the best fares and mostly nonstop flights. I keep close track of their fares, etc., sometimes checking a couple of times a day. As soon as I see a fare I can live with...it's booked.

First off' date=' I'd never book a flight this far out.

[/quote']

Of course not, because you always fly WN and the schedule isn't available yet. She wants to fly in December and WN is only open through 31 Oct.

OP - if your cruise is leaving from FLL (as mentioned in your other thread), why are you looking at flights to MIA? I'd avoid that airport if at all possible.

And yes, ITA is just to give you ideas of what may be available. Then, you need to use a TA, or go to the airline's webpage and book. And again yes, seach by schedule will often get you a better price. You are still smarter than any computer!

JMHO, but who wants to fly out of MDW???? ORD feels like you are going someplace fun. MDW feels like you are on the next military flight to a war zone (and I do know all about that from recent experience).

Other than AirTran and WN, fares out of MDW are usually higher than out of ORD.

JMHO, but who wants to fly out of MDW???? ORD feels like you are going someplace fun. MDW feels like you are on the next military flight to a war zone (and I do know all about that from recent experience).

I know that ORD is a nicer airport; however, my first choice would be a non-stop flight and the only airline that flies from there (aside from one AA departure) non-stop to FLL is Spirit, which I've been advised to avoid like the plague. AirTran and Southwest from MDW fit that particular need. If I do decide to do a connecting flight, then I would most probably depart from ORD.

6rugrats, I was also looking at Miami because AA and UA have non-stop flights from O'Hare and I wanted to explore all my options, but their fares for flights at desirable times (for me) are pretty high. And if that airport is better to be avoided, I'll probably reconsider.

FlyerTalker, I do for the most part search by schedule so I don't waste a lot of time with low fares and ridiculous schedules. I wasn't aware that you could also search by intermediate cities, although generally, unless a flight involves some dinky aircraft (such as a turboprop from Tampa) or the choice would significantly increase my travel time, the connecting city isn't all that important to me as long as I can make the flight.

Thanks for all the good feedback so far! :)

We are cruising out of Miami on Feb 20. I am very anxious and wanted to get every detail taken care of. That being said, we have our air booked already. Flying out of Milwaukee was an option until I found AA had a non-stop out of Ohare leaving Feb 19th at 8AM. Flying home were on Delta with a stop in Atlanta. Figured we could stop on the way home. Most of the flights out of MKE had stops in Chicago or Detroit. Being Feb in the Midwest, figured if we had bad weather here, theyt would too. Anyway, flights plus taxes for 3 of us came to a little over $700. I think that's a great price!!

ORD???? nice??? IMO midway isn't really a war zone and at least you can get from point A to point B fast! (although it IS the home of the world's SLOWEST McDonalds!

ORD to me always seems like a work in progress...kinda like JFK, PHL, IAD:eek::)

however, i do not dispute the fact that you can make a comparison between the aforementioned military flights....;)

AND....btw as much as i LUV WN, they flights are NOT always cheapest....sheesh! US Scare has some cheap fares out of PHL for those of you who swear WN "always has the best...."

BTW, have you found one in SYD yet??
No - and not likely to. :(

If QF will through-check my bags over SYD, then I might see if I can blag my way into the QF lounge at SYD even though my next flight is on NZ. But I don't hold out much hope of that.

I'll have to try to remember to pack a towel! Not part of my usual flying kit.

I'll have to try to remember to pack a towel! Not part of my usual flying kit.

You can always pack one of

. (Don't know if "Vince" is pitching them on the UK telly....)

PS: Read the reviews before plunking down the cash.....

Well, I suspect that it helps that both greatam and I have nice places at ORD at which we can wait for our flights. ;)

I am sure you do! (and glad you "got" that i was being funny!!!):D

I OTOH need to get some better 'friends'! Obvisouly I am not traveling with either A) the right people, B) the right airlines or C) as often as I should!

have a nice day!

Of course not, because you always fly WN and the schedule isn't available yet. She wants to fly in December and WN is only open through 31 Oct. Geez, what's the deal? When WN opens their books in October, everyone has the same fair shot at getting the lower prices... OP was concerned about price and I offered WN to them. Buying a ticket too far out can be risky business anyway. I've always managed to get the bottom line price on my WN flights because I monitor their website.....and strike while the iron is hot, so to speak.

Then, of course, there's always this:

No charge for checked bags

No charge for curbside checkin

No charge for soft drinks and snacks

No charge for phone reservations

No "best seat" politics

Best ontime record in the industry

Best record on "lost" baggage in the industry

Best customer service in the industry

What's not to like??

OP - if your cruise is leaving from FLL (as mentioned in your other thread), why are you looking at flights to MIA? I'd avoid that airport if at all possible.

And yes, ITA is just to give you ideas of what may be available. Then, you need to use a TA, or go to the airline's webpage and book. And again yes, seach by schedule will often get you a better price. You are still smarter than any computer!

And, I don't always fly WN...... True, I do to Florida for cruises and anywhere they fly if I'm going somewhere... When I am forced to take an alternate carrier, I don't check any luggage (I'm a light packer anyway), take my own water, don't order anything during the flight that needs payment, arrive at the airport at least 2 hours prior to flight time (3-4 hours for an international flight), stay in the terminal area near the gates and have the phone number for the airline in my purse....which I will use in case of flight delays or cancellaltions....instead of waiting in line with the mob.....

I've been a traveler all of my adult life and know how things work...and what to do when "stuff" happens....and am prepared for whatever comes along. It's a valuable skill.

Well, OP was looking for lower fares from Chicago.....MDW with WN and AirTran offers them.........

And, who cares what the airport looks like anyway. I'm not going to sign a lease and live there......:D

ORD???? nice??? IMO midway isn't really a war zone and at least you can get from point A to point B fast! (although it IS the home of the world's SLOWEST McDonalds!

ORD to me always seems like a work in progress...kinda like JFK, PHL, IAD:eek::)

however, i do not dispute the fact that you can make a comparison between the aforementioned military flights....;)

AND....btw as much as i LUV WN, they flights are NOT always cheapest....sheesh! US Scare has some cheap fares out of PHL for those of you who swear WN "always has the best...."

I agree. Once or twice over the past 5/6 years, I've flown Useless Air from Philly because of their fare match with WN and WN being sold out.....

Useless used to "own" the Philly market and had the prices to match...untill WN came along. Knocked old Useless off it's overpriced feet for sure......

Well' date=' OP was looking for lower fares from Chicago.....MDW with WN and AirTran offers them.........

And, who cares what the airport looks like anyway. I'm not going to sign a lease and live there......:D[/quote']

You have NO idea what WN's fares will be for the OP's dates.

Using the latest possible Saturday/Sunday in October, per WN's schedule, the price if booked today for comparable nonstop flight times in October is $254.20 I highly doubt WN will have fares lower than AA's nonstops at $229 all in when they open the schedule for December. AA's nonstop which works well with a cruise is an afternoon flight going to MIA, same time frame returning.

AirTran's fare is slightly higher ($250) and is NOT a nonstop.

American Airlines Flight AA2378 on a Boeing 757 (jet) in coach class

(food for purchase)

Departs Chicago, IL (ORD) Sat, Dec 5 4:15p 3 hrs 0 min

Arrives Miami, FL (MIA) 8:15p

Miami, FL to Chicago, IL: 1198 miles 3 hrs 30 min

American Airlines American Airlines Flight AA295 on a Boeing 757 (jet) in coach class

(food for purchase)

Departs Miami, FL (MIA) Sun, Dec 13 4:25p 3 hrs 30 min

Arrives Chicago, IL (ORD) 6:55p

One thing about Southwest is that they don't charge for luggage. For 2 people, a family of 3 or 4, this can be quite a savings if the passengers don't qualify for the baggage charge exceptions. I have some corporate clients who swore they would never fly them until they had to by circumstance and now some of them request WN. The ones I'm thinking of travel with checked bags and like the savings Southwest provides. It can save a family quite a bit. Also, per one of my corporate people, it's nice to deal with people who care.

One of the big complaints was their lack of pre-assigned seating but with the advent of their online check-in, a lot of those complaints have gone away - if they check in online first.

Archived