Cabin Steward

Cash. The stewards have extremely tiny living quarters and usually share them with at least one other person. They just have room for the basic necessities. Cash is by far the best gift you can give them. :)

Give cash--let them buy the "gifts" that they want! They have to share a teeny cabin with another staff member...they have no room for "trinkets"....give them cold, hard money! THAT's what they appreciate and what they work for! I mean, this IS their JOB!

I'm in agreement with everyone - give a gift of $$ and they will be happy.

If you're ever wondering how large the crew cabins are, take a regular outside cabin, divide it by 3 and add a bathroom. That's it; no room for extra "things". I was amazed when I actually saw one on a television program; they're not much bigger than a closet, really.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

While I agree they'd more than likely prefer cash, if you have your heart set on bringing them a momento - since you're from Maine - why not a little jar of your fabulous blueberry jam??? I know I'd sure appreciate it! Maybe tie a nice ribbon with some rolled up moola tied around it????;)

I am thinking about bringing a few little gifts for our Cabin Steward sailing on the December 5th Eurodam cruise and would like some ideas. I will be coming from Maine.

You have been given some really good advice here - cash is King. However, if you really want to give something personal, along with some cash, then a T-shirt might be appreciated. The guys like T-shirts and wear them all the time when off duty - maybe something that is really representative of Maine - not too many Indonesians will be sporting a T-shirt from Maine!:D Be sure to buy nothing bigger than a "medium" and you may want to bring two since you will probably have two Stewards taking care of your cabin (and a whole lot of other cabins - they are sharing the duties now).

Honestly, the best gift you can give them (maybe even more so than cold, hard cash) is to be sure to mention them by name in the questionnaire you will receive at the end of the cruise. The questionnaires are read by the Department Managers on board, even by the Hotel Manager, and the comments are relayed to HQ in Seattle. This can mean a whole lot when the promotion lists come up. You may also find a "comment card" in your stateroom, or you can always pick up one at the front desk, and any positive comments regarding exceptional service by a particular Steward will be noted and go on his record.

Have a wonderful cruise. You have a generosity of spirit and I'm sure that you will find the Indonesian crew members do also.

Enjoy, and fair winds and following seas.

Valerie:)

Agree with the others..Cash or International Phone cards..You then could include a small gift of Mud chocolates,:) Wild blueberry Jam,:) or something that could be shared with other Crew members..

Believe those who say Crew cabins are tiny & storage space is practically nil..

Also as the last two posters mentioned a t=shirt would be fine or even a ball cap from Maine would be ok..

Cheers...:) Betty

I had planned on giving a t-shirt from my state, thought they'd find it fun since they're from another country. I also plan to tip well. So you think I shouldn't?

I'm not sure to whom your question is directed. Is it me? If so, then read the second sentence of my post where I say "if you want to give something personal, along with some cash..........."

Whether or not you plan to tip well is certainly up to you. Personally, I tip very well because I really do appreciate all the hard work the cabin and dining room stewards do - after all, that's what I have to do when at home and I don't get a tip.

Valerie:D

Forgot to mention that I also get to do the cooking (shopping and meal planning/preparation) when at home so I don't begrudge the auto-tip which goes to the hardworking kitchen crew, along with many, many others behind the scenes who make my cruise experience so special.

I had planned on giving a t-shirt from my state, thought they'd find it fun since they're from another country. I also plan to tip well. So you think I shouldn't?

One t-shirt per cabin. Thirty cabins per cruise. Up to 52 cruises per year. That's a whole lot of taking up space.

Think of what the cost of all those t-shirts adds up to. If the cabins stewards had the equivalent in extra cash, it would be a good chunk of change.

Your heart is in the right place, but cash works.

...a thoughtful comment card (avaialble 24/7 at the front desk) if the cabin steward and others (DR staff, beverage staff, CD, excursion folks and others) provide "exceptional" service.

More often then not, the comment cards (not the debarking summary cards) are more important to the the staff members then a "gift".

Personally I utilize the comment cards, "Groucho Glasses" (hey, there fun!), thank you notes and cash, when applicable.

We still keep in touch via email (we're talking Xmas card greeting stuff pretty much) with several HAL & NCL staff folks that we've established friendships with over the years.

Have a GREAT CRUISE!

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

Ruth and I do it a little differently, as many of you that have cruised with us know...

We do give monetary gratuities at the end of the cruise but we also give the cabin stewarts and others on the cruise little gifts.

Generally we take along 8 - 10 pairs of slippers and give them out to people that made our cruise a little better or have went out of their way for us.

It is a little quirky but they seem to really appreciate it. On several occasions we have sent slippers back to their kids at their home and have gotten back some beautifull notes and pictures from the families.

Ruth & Jim

IMG_0675.jpg.4cc98e40896e2b55110c05f67abab790.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg.7c0af33704019347f660c8b7ef5f385c.jpg

I always give some extra $$$ at the end of a trip, they can use it to buy something for their family on their return. However, I do bring a polo shirt-size SMALL from my local area in FL. I figure they can use it to trade if they don't want it or it doesn't fit.

And if I'm on a looooong trip 30+ days, if we are in a big port I also get a unique/local food item that I also buy for myself.

I wouldn't loose sleep over any of this...but if you are in doubt $$$ says it all.

Rosemary

I have only given cash and that's what I recommend, but if you want to give something more personal and extra, I suggest some item of food. It would not take up space and would not likely lead to the thought that you had given less of a tip in order to pay for the special gift for them. I'm from Washington, D.C. and there's a chocolate shop that has little Washington monuments, White Houses, Lincoln memorials, etc. in white chocolate--so its a little treat to show appreciation and a memento from my part of the world. (Now that I think of it, I think I did give these away on my last trip.) So some little food treat from home--like maple cookies--might be a nice treat and appreciated (along with a cash tip and a mention in the comment card).

Just for clarification, cabin stewards are all graduates of cruise school in Indonesia. Waiters and bartenders are all Filipino.

I agree with mentioning names in the ending questionnaire is really important. Only the top performers can renew their contracts.

Just for clarification, cabin stewards are all graduates of cruise school in Indonesia. Waiters and bartenders are all Filipino.

I agree with mentioning names in the ending questionnaire is really important. Only the top performers can renew their contracts.

The 2 times I've been on HAL the MDR waiters were also Indonesian. Anyone who serves alcohol will be Filipino since the Indonesians are Muslim.

Archived