Probably our Last Royal Caribbean Cruise - Laundry & Wine

How do you know when the $25 per bag days are? Is it in the Cruise Compasses or is it listed on the laundry bag?

Thanks,

Maggie

Your cabin attendant will leave a plastic bag with a form That says "Wash & Fold only" on your bed in the evening midway through your cruise. You can fill it with pajamas, socks, underwear, t-shirts and swim wear. These items will not be pressed, just washed and then folded. Cost is $20 for everything that can fit into the bag. Don't forget to fill out the form and include with the items.

In the morning, leave it on your bed and your cabin attendant will take care of it. You should have it back either that evening or the next morning depending on how many loads are being done.

Let's get to the root of the problem.

Other cruise lines can offer laundry & ironing facilities (Carnival, Princess etc) for the benefit of their passengers. Having them would be a plus in attracting customers so why not do it. It's the revenue loss of course.

Some cruises (shorter ones) no laundry may not be an issue, but think of families, or special needs families. No one goes 24/7 on a cruise so what's wrong with a couple hours to do laundry (enjoying a nice drink & reading the cruise atlas, no time lost).

Having a policy of allowing one special bottle of wine to be brought on board goes a long way to attract customers as well. Let's face it a cruise can be a very special affair for some so why kill the joy with confiscating that special bottle (RCCL) or charging a corkage fee (NCL) for no added value. Let's face it, its about the $$, they can't see the forest for the trees.

You forgot to complain about the iteninary. ;)

You're right, "same old, same old" with just that big blue marble to look at day after day, and the only excursion available involves putting on that bulky suit and walking outside while tethered to the station.;) And let's not mention the less than haute cuisine, the confined living quarters, and the spartan bathroom facilities.:D

The laundromat on Carnival was nice especially since we did an extended vacation after the cruise and didnt want to bring 2 suitcases each and pay extra for the luggage. I also dont like to put wet bathing suits in the dirty clothes bag going home. 20 dollars for a bag of laundry is very reasonable. Id pay it for sure. Now the wine thing is a whole other story!

As I recall, Norwegian cruises have the same policy in regards of bringing wine on board.

NCL allows one bottle per person and you must pay a $15.00 corkage fee per bottle. At least that is what happened in May on NCL Sun.

Our first Royal Caribbean (RC) cruise was the Mexican Riviera with or son and DIL in June 2009. The cabin & food service was good. However, we discovered that RC does not provide laundry facilities for guests. If you want your "undies" washed, they'll be glad to accommodate you for a VERY SIGNIFICANT fee. Not so with some other cruise lines, such as Princess. The same goes for trying to bring on your own wine for consumption during the cruise. RC will not allow you to do so. Other cruise lines will. These are obviously "profit centers", which we do not hold against RC. Nevertheless, we are a"cost-saving center" family that chooses to avoid those conditions. We naively made reservations for a second cruise on RC for a Caribbean cruise in early 2010 before taking our first RC cruise in June 2009. It will be our last RC cruise due to their established policies that go beyond reasonableness for the sake of either profit or political agendas.

Let's see....you became a member in April 2008 and you took your first RCI cruise in June 2009. You had access as a member to Cruise Critic for 14 months in which to ask questions here about your cruise on RCI. I'm sorry but you had every opportunity to ask about laundry services aboard and RCI wine policy .....14 months to be exact.

My question to the Original Poster is this:

Why did you wait until now to complain when you had 14 months to ask questions about RCI policies?

Our first Royal Caribbean (RC) cruise was the Mexican Riviera with or son and DIL in June 2009. The cabin & food service was good. However, we discovered that RC does not provide laundry facilities for guests. If you want your "undies" washed, they'll be glad to accommodate you for a VERY SIGNIFICANT fee. Not so with some other cruise lines, such as Princess. The same goes for trying to bring on your own wine for consumption during the cruise. RC will not allow you to do so. Other cruise lines will. These are obviously "profit centers", which we do not hold against RC. Nevertheless, we are a"cost-saving center" family that chooses to avoid those conditions. We naively made reservations for a second cruise on RC for a Caribbean cruise in early 2010 before taking our first RC cruise in June 2009. It will be our last RC cruise due to their established policies that go beyond reasonableness for the sake of either profit or political agendas.

Enjoy Carnival or any other cruise line.

The VERY SIGNIFICANT fee you mention- would that be the $1.20 they charge for picking up, laundering and returning to your cabin one pair of underwear? I think that's a bargain.

Hint- you are only onboard for 7 days, it's easy to pack enough undies...

That is a good deal. I usually wait until major discount chains have a sale of panties..8 for $5.00. But would use laundry for $1.20.

Buy the undies with the days of the week printed on them. Or, take 4 and turn them inside out for the second day.

What a lame complaint on any cruise line.:rolleyes:...or in life in general.

Or take 3 and just let it be free on the last day.

It will be our last RC cruise due to their established policies that go beyond reasonableness for the sake of either profit or political agendas.

Could you please help me out and explain what a political agenda has to do with dirty laundry or not being able to bring a bottle of wine with you.

The original post was the 4th post and the second post was also the 4th post..How does this happen?

The number of posts changes every time you post. That is what shows up on each of your posts. That number is "about you". The individual posts are not numbered.

NCL allows one bottle per person and you must pay a $15.00 corkage fee per bottle. At least that is what happened in May on NCL Sun.

Let's see....you became a member in April 2008 and you took your first RCI cruise in June 2009. You had access as a member to Cruise Critic for 14 months in which to ask questions here about your cruise on RCI. I'm sorry but you had every opportunity to ask about laundry services aboard and RCI wine policy .....14 months to be exact.

My question to the Original Poster is this:

Why did you wait until now to complain when you had 14 months to ask questions about RCI policies?

To me, even more to the point: If your horrid cruise was in June, why wait until August to complain?????

Thank you! The only rational response received. We're out of this Cruise Critic forum for now. Bunch of folks that have more fun demeaning others than discussing facts of life and facts of cruises.

Someone's got their laundry knickers in a twist.

Plenty of the respondents discussed the facts of life and of cruising and they told you they do not agree with you. Many of the newest ships now have no self service laundries - HAL Vistas for example. You will need to do some more research before venturing forth on another cruise - like does the ship have self-service laundries or do you have to send it out. Do they permit you to bring wine on board - some lines do (a limited number of bottles); others do not. I am sure you will find another cruise line to fit your requirements; in the meantime, there are ships full of us that do not have those needs to enjoy ourselves.:)

I firmly believe that no matter what complaints you have about a particular cruiseline in comparison to another ...that closer inspection will reveal that the "other" cruiseline will fall short in some other area as well . So just select the one that makes you the happiest and don't sweat the small stuff :D

Archived