Southwest Airlines seating nightmare

rzdj96

Wow, I missed both of them. But I don't go to SW page unless I'm purchasing a ticket.

I suspect that you weren't reading all of this thread and jumped in at the middle of the thread.

Analogy, it's like not reading a novel from page one and starting on page 100.

Keith

See THIS THREAD already discussing the new WN seating option.

6rugrats already posted the link above and I did check it out. Don't know if I'll ever pay the $10 per ticket just to get to board first though. However, I have a flight booked for tomorrow morning @ 830am. When DH was checking in at 830am this morning, right at 830, we have boarding passes A59 & A60.

So it makes me wonder if getting "A" passes are a thing of the past unless you pay. Doesn't much matter to me though. As long as I have a window seat and DH gets an aisle, we don't really have to be in the same row. He sleeps, I listen to Ipod.

I have absolutely no issues flying as long as I'm in an aisle seat so for me it's not as much about when I board but more about being able to sit in an aisle seat.

I think you are missing the point - you might NOT get an aisle seat if enough people use the $10 Early Bird Check In, board before you and take all the aisle seats.

I have a flight booked for tomorrow morning @ 830am. When DH was checking in at 830am this morning, right at 830, we have boarding passes A59 & A60.

So it makes me wonder if getting "A" passes are a thing of the past unless you pay. Doesn't much matter to me though. As long as I have a window seat and DH gets an aisle, we don't really have to be in the same row. He sleeps, I listen to Ipod.

Again, it might get to the point where enough people are using the early bird check in for $10/person that there won't be any more aisle or window seats left for those not paying. One easy way around that is to see if two people are traveling together who are seated in a window & aisle with the middle free. If you try to take the middle, most likely one of them will move over, leaving an aisle or a window available for you :)

A59 and A60 are not bad - 21 or 23 rows on most WN planes means over 80 aisle or window seats so chances are extremely high you will get what you want.

We are flying Southwest later this month and learned of this option only today. I immediately logged in and added to to both of our flights ($40 total), but now we can avoid the ridiculous frenzy to complete their online check-in precisely @ that 24 hour point.

I'd much rather Southwest offer the same option as AirTran to reserve specific seats for a fee. But this at least shows that they are listening to passenger concerns (or in our case frustrations that result in booking other airlines).

I just added it to my flight home from our cruise the end of the month ...that way I don't have to worry about trying to check in on line on the ship. It is worth $10 to me to have it taken care of...besides..they let me take two bags for free...so I don't mind paying $10 for this service....

Many times I've been in a meeting and couldn't check in right at the 24 hour mark..even paid to have someone do it at the hotels...so this is no different...thanks Southwest...I appreciate the service.

I think you are missing the point - you might NOT get an aisle seat if enough people use the $10 Early Bird Check In, board before you and take all the aisle seats.

Again, it might get to the point where enough people are using the early bird check in for $10/person that there won't be any more aisle or window seats left for those not paying. One easy way around that is to see if two people are traveling together who are seated in a window & aisle with the middle free. If you try to take the middle, most likely one of them will move over, leaving an aisle or a window available for you :)

A59 and A60 are not bad - 21 or 23 rows on most WN planes means over 80 aisle or window seats so chances are extremely high you will get what you want.

If I've paid $10 extra so that I can get an aisle seat, I'm not moving over to sit next to my husband. If I'm stuck with the middle sit, I'd STILL have to sit next to the stranger. I love my husband, but for a short flight I don't mind if you cozy up to him.:D I'm sure there are others who might move, but the money issue might decrease those numbers by more than a few.

We are flying SW for the first time in Nov, and I am a bit confused as to how the boarding system works. You are issued a letter & number on your boarding pass. Do you get in line according to your letter & number (A20 stands in line behind A19)or do all the "A's" numbered A15 - A30 scramble for a place in line?

Lori

We are flying SW for the first time in Nov, and I am a bit confused as to how the boarding system works. You are issued a letter & number on your boarding pass. Do you get in line according to your letter & number (A20 stands in line behind A19)or do all the "A's" numbered A15 - A30 scramble for a place in line?

Lori

There will be sections that are numbered and you will stand in those areas. :)

Lori

Southwest boarding is, IMHO, the only bad thing about Southwest (and it totally sucks). The option to pay extra to get closer to the front of the cattle call is an improvement, but not the solution.

There are numbered spaces. If your boarding pass is A20, you will be in line behind A19. But don't even hope to get A20 without paying for Early Bird.

FYI - If you don't mind a middle seat, you just don't have anything to worry about.

Thanks for your responses! I did pay the $10 early bird fee when I found out about it on here. Mostly because my flight was inexpensive to begin with, but also because I don't want to have to worry about going online and checking in while on my cruise.

This added charge to possibly get a better seat just seems like a "catch all" that attempts to circumnavigate what's transpiring in the first place. In reading the posts, I see "I like the isle seat, or window seat, or no-way the middle seat". Remarkably, it seems that everyone is missing the point that South West is imposing "SOUTHWEST HAS NO ASSIGNED SEATING". So folks must leave their seating desires at the gate and "fend for it" upon boarding. Anything else is "MOOT"! The added charge just possibly gives you a better seating "crap shoot" which I feel leads to added frustrations by folks possibly believing they'll obtain a better seat. It's almost like a disorganized swap meet. The only way they could possibly alleviate these frustrations, misunderstandings, or personal seating desires is upon boarding, to have the attendants "DIRECT" folks to uniformly seating while boarding. I can just hear it now "but I paid for a better seat" (which really isn't the case). They just paid for possibly better odds during the boarding "crap shoot"! IMHO

I've never flown Southwest...I have the flight home booked after my cruise in December and I was concerned about how to check in 24 hours in advance. This new Early Bird check in might be a good option for me. If checking in 24 hours in advance from the ship do you have to pay for internet usage?

I've never flown Southwest...I have the flight home booked after my cruise in December and I was concerned about how to check in 24 hours in advance. This new Early Bird check in might be a good option for me. If checking in 24 hours in advance from the ship do you have to pay for internet usage?

Yes, you would pay the internet charge from the ship.

On some ships, if there is a concierge they may help you with this without charging.

Keith

Absolutely correct. And, those "better odds" start to shorten when more and more people take the $10 upsell.

I mean, what is Southwest thinking? They're just throwing more wood into the fire and sadly they haven't realized yet that their dealing with the public (that some folks want something for nothing) and placing conciderably more strain on their flight attendants. To allieviate all of this, all they need to do is instead of the "free for all" A, B, C's, is to assign seat A1 or A2 or A3 and so on, on boarding passes. It's not like they don't know how many seats are sold or whom is checking in. Simply remarkable!

I mean, what is Southwest thinking? They're just throwing more wood into the fire and sadly they haven't realized yet that their dealing with the public (that some folks want something for nothing) and placing conciderably more strain on their flight attendants. To allieviate all of this, all they need to do is instead of the "free for all" A, B, C's, is to assign seat A1 or A2 or A3 and so on, on boarding passes. It's not like they don't know how many seats are sold or whom is checking in. Simply remarkable!

Well, yes,,,, BUT...

What if we get "assigned" a middle seat? No one wants them and I wouldn't ever fly Southwest if there was a remote chance I'd have to sit in one. It's bad enough sharing "butt space" with one individual, say nothing of TWO! :eek:

I have had this happen - guess it is pretty common. I handle it by saying calmly "I believe this is my seat."

Sometimes the person took the wrong row by mistake. Sometimes they know they are in the wrong seat and hope the occupant does not show. And sometimes, they have a boarding pass with the same seat number as I have.

In all cases, I just wait for them to move (which they quickly do, if they know they are wrong) or wait for an attendant to sort things out. They always do.

As long as I am not stuck in a middle seat, or next to a large person who takes up more space than they bought, I am fine with switching. It usually works out fine.

"Did the airline assign us both to the same seat????!!!!"

AG

Yes, you would pay the internet charge from the ship.

On some ships, if there is a concierge they may help you with this without charging.

Keith

I fly SWA all the time for my Florida cruises from Philly. Never, ever had a problem of any kind...except a weather delay now and then that happens to all carriers.

I check in on the ship. The entire process from signing in, pulling up the flights, checking in and printing the boarding pass has never taken more than 7/8 minutes. At the most, 6-8.00 in internet charges usually a little less.

I fly SWA all the time for my Florida cruises from Philly. Never' date=' ever had a problem of any kind...except a weather delay now and then that happens to all carriers.

I check in on the ship. The entire process from signing in, pulling up the flights, checking in and printing the boarding pass has never taken more than 7/8 minutes. At the most, 6-8.00 in internet charges usually a little less.[/quote']

I'm not sure why I was quoted.

I answered a simple question which was would the person have to pay internet access charges for check in 24 hours before. And the answer is yes. And the answer would be the same for accessing the internet for any airline where one wanted to do check in for their flight while still on the ship.

Now if the question was how long it would take and how much it would cost it would be a different story. But that was not the question.

And the question was not whether or not it took a minute or an hour.

It was simply would I be charged from the ship.

I happen to be one of those who like SW for shorthaul flights.

Not sure why things always have to be so complicated.

Thank you.

Keith

Well, yes,,,, BUT...

What if we get "assigned" a middle seat? No one wants them and I wouldn't ever fly Southwest if there was a remote chance I'd have to sit in one. It's bad enough sharing "butt space" with one individual, say nothing of TWO! :eek:

That's the point exactly! You haven't a choice as there's NO, ZERO, ZIP seating assignments on South West. Everyone must adhere to this first come first serve requirement (whether you like it or not) PRIOR to purchasing the passage and prior to boarding and take what they give you. Otherwise, you're breaking Southwests seating rules! Simple!

Also southwest heard all the complaints about the cattle calling and have changed this. you dont have to arrive hours before your flight and stand in the cattle call area. You now just wait until they call a, b or c and you wait a few minutes before they start boarding.

I have also flown Southwest many times and in addition to the A, B, C category, there is also a number assigned. That is your boarding order. Now when you line up, you do it not only in order of the category but also by the numeric value assigned to it when you check in. As long as everyone plays by the rules and acts like a mature adult, it works. :rolleyes:

2P.P1

I flew home on Southwest my last cruise. You DEFINITELY need to do the 24 hr check in or you will without a doubt be by the bathroom in the back row! It cost me about $3 bucks if I remember correctly to log on and get it done. Go about 10 mins before the 24 hour mark to give you time to log on etc because believe me, the people are poised and ready at their computers! Good luck.

When you check in, do you need to be able to print your boarding pass immediately?

Our cruise ends on a Sunday but we don't fly out until Monday at noon. I will be off the ship by noon on Sunday and I'm not sure if I'll be close to Internet access to log on and check in. I was thinking about asking my sister to check in for me and I could print the boarding pass later Sunday evening when we get to our post-cruise hotel. Would this work?

Archived