Opinions Requested: what cruise line does Alaska best?

Sweetiepie3

As previously mentioned, HAL and Princess are the big players in Glacier Bay voyaging, with Norwegian third and behind it Carnival then Crystal. The NPS limits cruise ship in the Bay to two at a time max. All vessels regardless of size must have a NPS permit before entering and the total number of those is limited. To get an idea of which of the big boys will be sailing when, in the Bay, during the 2018 season, here is a link. http://www.cleancruising.com.au/port.asp?port=USGLB

Not saying Princess doesn't offer a quality product in the Alaskan arena. However, having just been (July) on a 14 day HAL, I simply cannot imagine any other cruise, including princess, that can come close to our experience on HAL's Amsterdam. The ship is intimate, 1,300 passengers. The lack of crowds was refreshing. Being served piping hot bowls of split pea soup while wrapped in blankets on deck watching the glacier calve was an experience I challenge any Alaskan Princess passenger experience to beat.

I was looking at this cruise, but I don't see where it goes to Glacier Bay? Did you? I may be looking at it wrong? And we have friends who have done both HAL & Princess - and they say they are both fantastic. They actually booked Princess again for Summer 2018.

The NPS limits cruise ship in the Bay to two at a time max. All vessels regardless of size must have a NPS permit before entering and the total number of those is limited.

Yes, only two of the main line ships are allowed in Glacier Bay per day although due to a different permitting process, the small ship lines are in addition to the two allowed. We've been in Glacier Bay with at least 4 cruise ships in different areas.

We've gone to Alaska once, 2 months ago, on Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas. It was northbound, Vancouver to Seward. Next time, I would go earlier or later, away from peak season, and spend the money saved on a cruise tour to go up to Denali. I would also choose a cruise that went through Glacier Bay. Hubbard Glacier is pretty, but it's one hour of Glacier view. The best thing we did was to book whale watching with Glacier Wind Charters in Icy Strait Point. We also really enjoyed spending time in Vancouver and in Seward.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You really need to figure out what will be best for you.

My advice:

Focus on itinerary first.

Look at all cruise lines.

Find ones that look good to you.

Then start to read about the cruise lines and the specific ships.

With each passing year more and more ships/lines sail Alaska so you have a wide range including mass market, premium and luxury lines and different size ships sailing Alaska.

Keith

I'm going to agree with most of the previous posters: the itinerary is the most important facet of an Alaskan cruise. First and foremost, you need to decide whether you would prefer a round trip cruise, or a one way cruise. If really experiencing Alaska is a priority, and you have enough time, I would strongly recommend doing a one-way itinerary. This will allow you to spend some time traveling beyond the ports for a few days. Most of the cruise lines offer add-on land tours prior to or after your cruise (depending on whether you are on a northbound or southbound itinerary). I definitely wanted a one-way cruise, but chose to plan my own land extension. Glacier Bay was also a priority for me. Since I already had a future cruise credit with Norwegian, I found a northbound itinerary that was perfect, and that included Glacier Bay.

Based on your choice, you will most likely cruise either from Seattle or Vancouver. Cruises departing from Vancouver are more likely to travel the inside passage. It also seems to me that the one-way northbound cruises generally originate from Vancouver.

As far as what cruise line "does Alaska best," that's open for interpretation, since it's all about the ports, not the ship. Focus on the itinerary, and your objectives for each port, find which ships meet your needs, and then pick your favorite ship. You really will not spend that much time on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In the past 10 years I have now taken over 40 cruises to Alaska. I have done NCL, Princess, HAL, Carnival and RCCL. In my humble opinion is there is no "BEST" cruise line. Are the type of person who likes to play "where's Waldo" or the type of person that wants to be taken on a special tour. I myself rarely take tours but like to look for that needle in the haystack. I am hardly ever doing the inside activities and am always outside with my binoculars. Sometimes that special moment only last a few seconds. Don't be that person who always ask "have you seen anything". I spend my money on cruises not the tours, I'm cheap. I was lucky enough to do a cruise and a tour last May with Budget Queen on the NCL SUN. And that tour was amazing with wildlife. I was able to see my first Puffin.:D Budget Queen is a firm believer on tours and a land experience so I took her advise this time. Those two weeks were a very special time. We both do Alaska differently but we both have that passion for Alaska. I have seen so much and yet I haven't seen anything yet. Just get to Alaska. Experience what you can. You could pick what most people would say is the "BEST" but the one thing you have to consider is weather. You can spend thousands of dollars on a cruise and tours but if the weather turns on you, you may miss that once in a lifetime tour because it was cancelled. Heck the weather may turn on you two to three times a day. Fog can be an issue during sea days and therefore limiting visibility. My suggestion would be pick the cruise line that fits in your budget. Sometimes you can get carried away with the costs ($$$$$) on those special tours. What started out as a $6000 vacation turns into a $10,000 bill pain in the butt. I will be taking my fifth cruise and final cruise this season on the Sun next week.:p The Sun no longer will be doing Alaska:( as she will be going to CUBA next year. Next year I will probably cruise on the Jewel since the Jewel will be taking the Sun's itinerary.

HAL and Princess have been in the biz the longest so they get first dibs on ports of call and timing for their itineraries. Glacier Bay is the best for viewing multiple glaciers and ice formations but is not on everyone's itineraries. Itineraries that don't have it either do Tracy Arm or Hubbard Glacier. Tracy Arm is beautiful but it's not as great as Glacier Bay. Hubbard is a gorgeous, massive glacier very much worth seeing but it's a bit harder for ships to get to certain months so there is always a chance they can't make it in and ppl are disappointed.

So my choice would be a round trip Vancouver with inside passage both ways that has Glacier Bay (some also do Tracy Arm on same itinerary). HAL has the most amount of these itineraries.

Or better yet, if you can swing it, do a one way 7 days but add on a land tour to Denali so you really get to experience Alaska. Otherwise you're basically just seeing the Alaskan panhandle

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Forums mobile app

Not saying Princess doesn't offer a quality product in the Alaskan arena. However, having just been (July) on a 14 day HAL, I simply cannot imagine any other cruise, including princess, that can come close to our experience on HAL's Amsterdam. The ship is intimate, 1,300 passengers. The lack of crowds was refreshing. Being served piping hot bowls of split pea soup while wrapped in blankets on deck watching the glacier calve was an experience I challenge any Alaskan Princess passenger experience to beat.

You can't imagine that another cruise line could come close that experience for YOU. Don't forget that we all come into this with different goals and different things we want.

In the past 10 years I have now taken over 40 cruises to Alaska. I have done NCL, Princess, HAL, Carnival and RCCL. In my humble opinion is there is no "BEST" cruise line. Are the type of person who likes to play "where's Waldo" or the type of person that wants to be taken on a special tour. I myself rarely take tours but like to look for that needle in the haystack. I am hardly ever doing the inside activities and am always outside with my binoculars. Sometimes that special moment only last a few seconds. Don't be that person who always ask "have you seen anything". I spend my money on cruises not the tours, I'm cheap. I was lucky enough to do a cruise and a tour last May with Budget Queen on the NCL SUN. And that tour was amazing with wildlife. I was able to see my first Puffin.:D Budget Queen is a firm believer on tours and a land experience so I took her advise this time. Those two weeks were a very special time. We both do Alaska differently but we both have that passion for Alaska. I have seen so much and yet I haven't seen anything yet. Just get to Alaska. Experience what you can. You could pick what most people would say is the "BEST" but the one thing you have to consider is weather. You can spend thousands of dollars on a cruise and tours but if the weather turns on you, you may miss that once in a lifetime tour because it was cancelled. Heck the weather may turn on you two to three times a day. Fog can be an issue during sea days and therefore limiting visibility. My suggestion would be pick the cruise line that fits in your budget. Sometimes you can get carried away with the costs ($$$$$) on those special tours. What started out as a $6000 vacation turns into a $10,000 bill pain in the butt. I will be taking my fifth cruise and final cruise this season on the Sun next week.:p The Sun no longer will be doing Alaska:( as she will be going to CUBA next year. Next year I will probably cruise on the Jewel since the Jewel will be taking the Sun's itinerary.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just move to Alaska?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just move to Alaska?

I live in San Diego. The best climate in the world. 60 degrees to 80 degrees all year. I like to spend my summers in Alaska where I can experience weather. And there are many differences between cruising between May and August. I have made many friends in Alaska and when I visit those ports I end up usually taking a "Mister Toads Wild Ride" with my friends. Going to those secret places where the locals go. My preparation for cruising now is booking the cruise and start making phone calls to Alaska to tell my friends I am on the way. The cruise ship is my summer home in Alaska.:D

We have done both princess and Holland America in Alaska. We preferred Holland America! Service was unbelievable. The best we have ever had. We love Royal Caribbean for the Caribbean also :)

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

We are the opposite. Our service was quite poor on HAL. We were very impressed with the Alaska programming on Princess and service was outstanding. They did so many things that were fun and educational and I prefer their itineraries. Love Princess's one way itineraries - they can't be beat by other main lines. We will not do Royal Caribbean in Alaska again but will do them in the Caribbean.

I can't stand split pea soup. Yuk!

While we chose our cruise line based in itinerary (we wanted Glacier Bay) the unexpected high point for us was College Fjord. If I went again I'd choose an itinerary with both of those for scenic cruising!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree! It was very unexpected.

I’ve been to Alaska twice— Hubbard and Tracy Arm didn’t hold a candle to glacier bay and college arm. I also recommend looking into tour companies in Alaska. I did Globus after my one way princess cruise (instead of extending with princess)— more days, less money, more inclusions.

I agree! It was very unexpected.

I’ve been to Alaska twice— Hubbard and Tracy Arm didn’t hold a candle to glacier bay and college arm. I also recommend looking into tour companies in Alaska. I did Globus after my one way princess cruise (instead of extending with princess)— more days, less money, more inclusions.

College Fiords, given the right weather conditions, is amazing!

The first time I was there it was perfect. Princess sent out a helicopter to film the ship in College Fiords.

College Fiords, given the right weather conditions, is amazing!

The first time I was there it was perfect. Princess sent out a helicopter to film the ship in College Fiords.

We had the same thing happen. It was perfect. Other times I have been there, the weather hasn't cooperated and it wasn't as "amazing". Still a great place to visit.

Seabourn is supposed to have a tremendous product there- they're owned by HAL so you have all the expertise from them but get to experience it on small, yacht like ships with amazing food and standard accommodation that would be a top suite in any other larger ship. Add zodiacs and stops in smaller, out of the way areas away from tourists and that's the way we're leaning for next season.

We heard that Princess was number one & I can say it was!! Employees of resorts / tour drivers / train etc r all employees of Princess .So u get the same service!! We went the first week of June for my husbands birthday & bucket list .It was terrific weather but no guarantees It was mostly 70's everyday Rained only in Ketchikan which is one of the rainiest cities in the work