Removed from ship in bali for flicking cigarette o/board

He was removed from the ship because he was spotted by a security guard but, as the daughter said he did it without thinking, how many times has he or would he have done it when there wasn't a security guard around? Everybody is warned of the consequences but then kicks up a stink if the rules are applied to them. Well done P&O for sticking to the rules.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

He had cancer. Relevance? Smoking and 'accidentally' flicked it? Accidentally means something like the wind blew it out of his hands. No sympathy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just google Star Princess fire if you want see what can happen .In her case it was either candles or a cigarette....the big problem being that he matting and outdoor furniture on the balconies is plastic and burns easily.There were also questions re the flammability of the paint used .

Fire at sea...bad news.:mad:

we did a p&o cruise a few years ago and this lady joined in the belly flop competition at 4pm in the afternoon and right near the end she stripped off her swimmers and was naked, the following morning she had to front the captain and was booted off the ship at Noumea and had to make her way home

In the article the daughter says some odd things:

"The captain said 'you're off' - no letting my dad apologise, no option of cutting him off at the bar, no giving him a fine. Nothing."

I just wondered why the daughter would mention wanting the option of cutting him off at the bar? Kind of adds another layer to the story perhaps?

"My dad is 58 in a few weeks - he's ex-army, SAS, with cancer and cholesterol problems - and my mum handles all his medication," she said.

"They haven't been apart in 35 years," Ms O'Keefe said.

SAS are usually deployed for at least 6 months of the year and SAS guys are pretty capable of taking care of themselves so saying his mum & him haven't been apart in 35yrs is a bit odd.

Granted she says he has cancer which is sad to hear.

Anyway just saying that given the odd extras of info the daughter is posting on social media it may there is more to the story and perhaps P&O made their decision based on the whole story.

I don't know but either way ciggie butts and cruise ships do not mix and I am in favour of safety first.

Edited by to_dee

Flicking a cigarette anywhere is not acceptable; if as the daughter said he flicked it without thinking it doesn't say much for his manners anyway.

Sorry, fire is too dangerous a threat to muck around. If the captain chose to throw him off so be it. No point in complaining and it would set a precedent if he allowed him to stay. The captain was probably following company protocols.

we did a p&o cruise a few years ago and this lady joined in the belly flop competition at 4pm in the afternoon and right near the end she stripped off her swimmers and was naked, the following morning she had to front the captain and was booted off the ship at Noumea and had to make her way home

Ewww and eww :eek:...and good to hear she was booted off.

Flicking a cigarette anywhere is not acceptable; if as the daughter said he flicked it without thinking it doesn't say much for his manners anyway.

Sorry, fire is too dangerous a threat to muck around. If the captain chose to throw him off so be it. No point in complaining and it would set a precedent if he allowed him to stay. The captain was probably following company protocols.

Agreed

In the article the daughter says some odd things:

"My dad is 58 in a few weeks - he's ex-army, SAS, with cancer and cholesterol problems - and my mum handles all his medication," she said.

"They haven't been apart in 35 years," Ms O'Keefe said.

Daughter seems to think that each of these factors make him unaccountable for his actions. I cant stand apologists even more than I cant stand people who think all rues are above them. :mad:

Another problem for P&O Aust PR staff, if this report is correct - see link

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/daughter-says-sick-dad-was-kicked-off-po-cruise-abandoned-after-ciggie-flick-20160617-gpljz2.html

Yes, safety is very important - but do you think that P&O over-reached in this case??

Not over-reach. A lesson for other butt flickers.

Makes you wonder if he flicks butts out the car window, even after high fire danger alerts. I've been through the big C and its aftermath and at no time did I feel I was any less responsible for my actions. Just trying to play the sympathy card methinks. BTW I'm also ex army, why should that make any difference?

Agreed. And flicking a cigarette in Australia at the wrong time can have devastating effects. It only takes one cigarette to start a bush fire.

If this guy is in the habit of flicking his cigarettes then, thank goodness, he may have finally had a rude awakening.

He has cancer and is still smoking??? I wonder if his cancer is smoking related.

Good thing he was kicked off.

Maybe its convenient but as soon as a smoker develops cancer then there is a connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Whilst I agree that the captain was well within his rights to disembark the passenger and was probably following the company's rules, and in my opinion this was the correct action, I think it can be a little easy to fall into condemnations. It would have been unpleasant for the wife left onboard and for the ex-passenger who then had to make his own way home. I can also imagine that the daughter was very upset, worried about both parents.

Edited by Aussieflyer

Whilst I agree that the captain was well within his rights to disembark the passenger and was probably following the company's rules, and in my opinion this was the correct action, I think it can be a little easy to fall into condemnations. It would have been unpleasant for the wife left onboard and for the ex-passenger who then had to make his own way home. I can also imagine that the daughter was very upset, worried about both parents.

I agree, but perhaps he should have thought of that.

I agree, but perhaps he should have thought of that.

The smoker? But it appears he doesn't think ... as far as the disposal of his cigarette butts is concerned. :rolleyes:

The very fact that he "accidentally" flicked the butt overboard actually implies that this is something he does habitually.

The smoker? But it appears he doesn't think ... as far as the disposal of his cigarette butts is concerned. :rolleyes:

The very fact that he "accidentally" flicked the butt overboard actually implies that this is something he does habitually.

Yep the smoker, I've lived through enough bushfires to have no time for people who don't dispose of their butts properly.

Would hate to live through a ship fire.

Good points to_dee. I had similar thoughts when I read.

Further, we only have one side of the story. Although that's often the case, in this case I'm more sceptical than usual that it's not the whole story, and/or has been embellished, given the accusations made. The daughter even says in one complaint that he's 60 years old, and then in another says 58! Can't even claim that it was saving keystrokes...

I completely agree. This man made a mistake (intentional or not) and an appropriate punishment was handed out by the captain, in line with regulations. You do the crime, you do the time!

Not a nice situation for any of them but actions have consequences. No further need to condemn the man as he has been punished and hopefully has learnt an important lesson and won't be so silly in future. I'm not convinced that's how the family will see it though.

I do feel like there will be a little more to this story as some of the statements just don't make sense. I guess time will tell.

I wonder if the man really flicked the butt over "accidently" or did he do it to get rid of the evidence?

The daughter mentions he wasn't given the chance to be cut-off at the bar. Does that mean he did this while inebriated? If he has a drinking problem too, chances are next time he's had too much, he will toss another butt.

None of the excuses listed by his daughter (cancer, cholesterol etc) are any reason to do what he did. It boils down to this: he broke the rules and his actions could have resulted in a disaster. The captain's job is to keep his ship, crew and passengers safe. He did what he had to do.