Be Considerate When Flying

klfrodo

The couple seated in front of me intentionally pushed the seat back as far as they possibly could.

These people were regulars on CC and I posted to them when I returned from the cruise .Every person who read my post agreed with me .They are no longer posting on CC or perhaps using new names .Coincidentally 2 days after returning I met the wife in a bank (we live in the same area ) .She apologized to me.

I have to say I can’t express enough how perverse and stupid the pro seat back posters here have been in relation to your experience. They have all bought a one way ticket to wrong city on the self righteous and sanctimonious express.

It is quite clear that the people in front of you deliberately pressed on the seat to cause you pain. That is the only sin here. It meant that automatically these people lost their rights to have their seats back. In the days when people were expected to act like adults, everyone would have known instinctively that such behaviour was totally reprehensible. But now, There are so many tossers who seem to think that their “rights” trump their higher duty to be courteous to others. We all should ensure that we help others who need it, so that one day when we need help it will be there for us.

In your case, I take it that you were not aware before the flight that someone pushing the seat back would hurt your knee. So all the suggestions above about you buying a seat with more leg room are really the biggest load of poppycock I’ve read on this forum in a long time.

When PC takes over courtesy dies.

I have to say I can’t express enough how perverse and stupid the pro seat back posters here have been in relation to your experience. They have all bought a one way ticket to wrong city on the self righteous and sanctimonious express.

It is quite clear that the people in front of you deliberately pressed on the seat to cause you pain. That is the only sin here. It meant that automatically these people lost their rights to have their seats back. In the days when people were expected to act like adults, everyone would have known instinctively that such behaviour was totally reprehensible. But now, There are so many tossers who seem to think that their “rights” trump their higher duty to be courteous to others. We all should ensure that we help others who need it, so that one day when we need help it will be there for us.

In your case, I take it that you were not aware before the flight that someone pushing the seat back would hurt your knee. So all the suggestions above about you buying a seat with more leg room are really the biggest load of poppycock I’ve read on this forum in a long time.

Sounds like someone may own airline stock[emoji6]

It is quite clear that the people in front of you deliberately pressed on the seat to cause you pain. ...

In your case, I take it that you were not aware before the flight that someone pushing the seat back would hurt your knee.

So the person in front knew that if they pressed back on their seat, it would cause pain to the person behind - even though the person behind did not know that they would be in pain if the person in front pressed back on their seat?

That's an interesting world. :D

So the person in front knew that if they pressed back on their seat, it would cause pain to the person behind - even though the person behind did not know that they would be in pain if the person in front pressed back on their seat?

That's an interesting world. :D

AND........

If pushing back a seat is known to cause discomfort/pain to the person behind, why ever would an airline place the seats that close???

People who have problems with folks in front of them reclining really need to complain to the airline. Otherwise, the airline's "let the passengers work it out" will continue to be the rule rather than the exception.

AND........

If pushing back a seat is known to cause discomfort/pain to the person behind, why ever would an airline place the seats that close???

People who have problems with folks in front of them reclining really need to complain to the airline. Otherwise, the airline's "let the passengers work it out" will continue to be the rule rather than the exception.

Airlines place seats in a configuration that they believe will yield the most revenue. Seats are close, but the average person does know have "chronic knee pain" as the person in question did. This extenuating circumstance made the situation worse. It's not like the airline knew about this person's chronic knee pain and then intentionally ordered the seat configuration that they did.

As for complaining to the airline, you can write all the letters you want, but until enough people vote with their wallet and stop booking that airline, nothing will change. And? It's been shown over and over that in general, people will complain but in the end they will buy a ticket based on price.

AND........

People who have problems with folks in front of them reclining really need to buy a seat in the appropriate cabin for their needs

There, I fixed your response for you.

If you want more comfort than the standard economy seat you have the right to purchase one of several options:

-Buy a second, adjacent seat

-Book an exit row

-Book a premium economy seat

-Book a business class seat

-Book a first class seat

Now not all airlines will offer all of these on every flight but I can't think of one airline where at least one of these is not an option. If you want to book the cheapest then expect to be uncomfortable and enjoy the extra money in your wallet.

Thank you so very much for your reply .It is very much appreciated.

As a frequent traveller with young kids I am very mindful of their behaviour. I bring along more than enough activities and food, lolly pops for take off and landing are a must.

So I actually have a positive story

My first flight with both children on my own, DD3 & DD6months. DDbaby fed and fell asleep in my arms. DD3 also fell asleep with her head on my legs. I also fell asleep. When I woke I was mortified as DD3 now had her legs on the other passenger. She must have seen the look of horror on my face and she said "I hope you don't mind, your daughter looked uncomfortable so I stretched her legs out." She said she travels with her kids often and understood how I felt. She was a wonderful woman and I never forgot her kindness. (DD3 is now 12)

Funnily enough when we landed both girls were still asleep and the row in front commented that they didn't even realise kids were behind them.

Thankfully I have raised good travellers who know the drill on planes!!!!

In regards to cabin luggage we were shocked when flying around the US the general lapse in regulations. I couldn't get over the amount of luggage people were boarding with; roll case plus a "personal item" as big as the case!

Sounds like someone may own airline stock[emoji6]

:D

I wish.

But my theme is courtesy. One should always avoid causing pain to others.

It sounds like a lot of the people here wouldn’t offer their seat on a bus to a pregnant woman, on the basis that it is their right to be comfortable and the mother to be should have caught a taxi if she wanted a seat. Such people are a blight on society.

I wish.

It sounds like a lot of the people here wouldn’t offer their seat on a bus to a pregnant woman, on the basis that it is their right to be comfortable and the mother to be should have caught a taxi if she wanted a seat. Such people are a blight on society.

What an illogical and irrelevant comparison.

A complete non-sequitor. Fits right in with the argument about the flight costing more than the cruise.

There are a fair amount of mindless people out there. We were in the Lufthansa check in line in Venice. The two women in front of us were on their way to the US vis Frankfurt. Same flights as us.

The each had several large shopping bags of Veneitian glass. Just in shopping bags with what appeared to be bubble wrap for protection. They were argueing with the Lufthansa agent who told them only one each. The other two bagss could not go carry on-that had to be checked or Fed exed.. They each also had a small carry on bag as well.

Their argument to the agent......the person in the Murano store who sold them the product to them it would fine to take as carry on.

Not certain what happened to the glass but we did not see them board the plane with it. They were not happy, the airline agent was shaking her head in total disbelief at these two dopes. Not to mention they were holding up everyone else in the line. This was the second time we have seen something like this in Marco Polo.

A complete non-sequitor. Fits right in with the argument about the flight costing more than the cruise.

You might want to look up what a non sequitur is. Because your post is a fine example, whilst mine was insightful and brilliant.:p

What an illogical and irrelevant comparison.

Why is it illogical? I think you may have missed the a few of the posts on this thread, or skimmed through them a wee bit to quickly.

Point one: Lenny stated that the offenders deliberately caused him pain by putting all their weight on their pushed back seats. Several posters then took the ultra perverse stance of berating Lenny for expecting people to give up their “right” to put their seats back so as not to cause him pain. Thus it would seem that these perverse posters believe that “rights” are more important than manners. That is the attitude of fit young people who do not offer their seats to pregnant women on buses or trains. I have seen it on many occasions. The idea is that somehow having a “right” entitles you to forget the rules of courtesy.

I wish.

Come up with a better analogy because you are comparing apples and oranges....

Bus: very short ride, very minimal cost invested, no guarantee of a seat at all- first come, first served

Plane: much longer ride, often a substantial cost, guarantee of a seat AND ability to choose a specific one. One of the seat features is the recline mechanism, and certain seats are known to offer additional legroom.

I would have no problem giving up my seat on a city bus that I'm likely to be on for what? 15 min? to a pregnant woman (or an elderly person, or a person on crutches, or a person carrying a baby etc.). But if I have paid hundreds (or thousands) of dollars for a seat and need to recline a little*, I'm going to have an issue with the person behind me insisting that I not to do so because THEY have knee problems, especially given the fact that they opted not to select a seat with more legroom, i.e. they decided that the solution to their problem was to just turn their problem into my problem. THAT is inconsiderate.

*and for the record, I don't recline during meals, nor do I slam my seat back into full recline with no notice.

You have to take care of yourself and not expect others to do it for you. I have back issues and am tall when in coach if someones reclined their seat till it touched my knees it would add to my discomfort. Did I ever expect or think rude for that person to recline all the way or would I ever ask them to move their seat? Of course not. If I want to assure my comfort I take care of myself and book a proper seat. Call me selfish but I have enough of my problems to worry about someone who wasn't smart enough to take care of themselves. I personally find it rude if someone asks me to move my seat that I worked hard for and personally deserve to be as comfortable as possible in the seat I paid for and that for me is reclined. Call me rude but I would be the first to move seats for a family or couple as long as the seat was the same category. Also, do a ton of charity work. I am just tired of people expecting strangers to make exceptions for them because they weren't wise enough to plan appropriate travel for themselves and then call out others. I have a long flight coming up and to take care of myself and my own issues I booked business class.

Why is it illogical? I think you may have missed the a few of the posts on this thread, or skimmed through them a wee bit to quickly.

Point one: Lenny stated that the offenders deliberately caused him pain by putting all their weight on their pushed back seats. Several posters then took the ultra perverse stance of berating Lenny for expecting people to give up their “right” to put their seats back so as not to cause him pain. Thus it would seem that these perverse posters believe that “rights” are more important than manners. That is the attitude of fit young people who do not offer their seats to pregnant women on buses or trains. I have seen it on many occasions. The idea is that somehow having a “right” entitles you to forget the rules of courtesy.

See post #116 for starters.

The idea is that somehow having a “right” entitles you to forget the rules of courtesy.
This cuts both ways.

If you're too wide to fit into the space of one seat, you may have to pay for more space. You can't simply take space that belongs to the seats on either side of you and expect those passengers to have to put up with it for the sake of "courtesy".

Similarly, if your legs are too long and inevitably take up space that belongs to the seat in front - which is exactly the situation when someone's knees get crushed by the person in front reclining, as the space into which the seat reclines belongs to the seat in front - then you may have to pay for more space if you want to avoid the consequent discomfort.

I have a long flight coming up and to take care of myself and my own issues I booked business class.

Similar..... I recently broke my shoulder in 3 places and had surgery on it, all while out of town. Flying home 3 days post-op, it was imperative that I not allow my shoulder and arm to be bumped or jostled, and I was thus concerned about my coach seat, as it frequently means being shoulder-to-shoulder with someone. Did I insist that Delta move me to F? No, that would be me trying to make my issue their problem. Did I decide I would just board and insist that the person next to me lean away and/or not use the arm rest? No, that would also be me trying to make my issue their problem. Instead I spent a ridiculous amount of miles to move up to F, since the F seats are wider and I knew I'd be able to sit comfortably without asking an adjacent passenger to avoid the arm rest area.

Yup, us Brits do like to queue. Don't understand it myself, especially with only a small carryon. It's not as if I am going to arrive any earlier by being first onto the aircraft.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

But.. you are more likely to be able to stow your cabin baggage above your seat !!

Would be good if each seat had its own dedicated space.