Be Considerate When Flying

klfrodo

We find that European airlines, originating in Europe, are much more stringent with carry on than are the US airlines. Not certain why.

We were in a Lufhansa line in Venice. Two ladies ahead of us were very distressed to lean that severa of their carry on bags (containing Murano glassware) would not be allowed in the cabin. Not certain what the outcome was but there was no doubt in our minds that the Lufthansa clerk was serious. Not sure what happened but we did not see them board with all of their shopping bags.

This is the reason why we buy international size carry on and keep them to the respective prescribed weight. Even though they seldom check the weight.

My self imposed limit is one suticase 30 pounds or less 22" and my laptop backpack which has enough compartments for everything. If I can't carry it then its not going with me.

As for souvenirs that is going in my bag or its being shipped if it can't fit. I like the Rick Steves approach to pack light. In my 30 plus years of traveling I never had to pay the Overweight baggage fee or rearrange my suitcase. I research online what is the air carrier's imposed weight limit and reduce it by 20 -30 percent and I weigh my suitcase at home!.

There are those that believe that we who travel with carry on only do so in order to save money on baggage checking fees.

Nothing could be further from the truth. We have free baggage checking on our international flights and on our business class flights. We pack the same way on these as we do on any others.

We select carry on because we can easily handle it on many modes of transportation. We do not want to rely on anyone to help us. Absolutely nothing to do with baggage fees. We wish we had switched to carry on 25 years ago instead of 6 years ago.

We select carry on because we can easily handle it on many modes of transportation. We do not want to rely on anyone to help us. Absolutely nothing to do with baggage fees. We wish we had switched to carry on 25 years ago instead of 6 years ago.
Which is all very well if the only kind of travel that you do is travel that allows you to pack in a minimalist way. But there are many people, including many of us here, for whom that is simply not a realistic option on at least some of our trips.

Iancal;

We can recognize your point. My take is that since you’re doing it for your convenience, then for your fellow travelers, don’t clog up walk ways and aisle , with your drag alongs, in airport restaurants, bars, shops, and airline Lounges. Also seats, in those establishments, are made for people , not for piling up drag alongs on. Never seen a bar sell a drink to luggage of any sorts! Nothing like people tripping over drag alongs , or not being able to find seating because of drag alongs!

Perhaps one of the rudest episodes I had , was a decade ago on UA. Completely full flight, on a 767, and they were asking for volunteers to be bumped. They do early boarding, then it’s my turn. I arrived at my seat, window on the 2-4-2 plane, and there is this glob sitting there in his aisle seat and covering up about 3/4 th of my area. An experienced traveler, because you could see he had brought his own seat belt extension, which was attached to my seat belt! He had obviously not bought two seats, as regulations require! He was refusing to move

Long story short, I got bumped, with a lengthy layover! Raising hell with customer service, as they were giving me a very healthy check, the CS agent looked at that passenger’s history. She said “this guy has a long history and is/was in the system as requiring purchase of double seats! Someone altered the file! We’ll flag his file so if anyone touches his profile, it’ll go straight to mgt!”

I believe some flyers switch around to different airlines, because after a flight or two they show up as being required to purchase two seats. Meanwhile, they don’t mind making others life miserable

We certainly do not need any suggestions as to how to manage our carry on in the airport or in airport lounges and restaurants. We have managed just fine for 45 years or so without being instructed on this aspect of travel.

I find the aisle hoggers when boarding the most annoying. Takes them 5 mins to remove a coat, decide where their cabin baggage is going then eventually they decide to take their allocated seat. Meanwhile a very long queue has formed behind them of passengers trying to get to their seat.

I travelled recently on an Asia based airline. Cabin crew were very proactive in speeding up the aisle hoggers hence quicker boarding.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Perhaps one of the rudest episodes I had , was a decade ago on UA. Completely full flight, on a 767, and they were asking for volunteers to be bumped. They do early boarding, then it’s my turn. I arrived at my seat, window on the 2-4-2 plane, and there is this glob sitting there in his aisle seat and covering up about 3/4 th of my area. An experienced traveler, because you could see he had brought his own seat belt extension, which was attached to my seat belt! He had obviously not bought two seats, as regulations require! He was refusing to move

Long story short, I got bumped, with a lengthy layover! Raising hell with customer service, as they were giving me a very healthy check, the CS agent looked at that passenger’s history. She said “this guy has a long history and is/was in the system as requiring purchase of double seats! Someone altered the file! We’ll flag his file so if anyone touches his profile, it’ll go straight to mgt!”

I believe some flyers switch around to different airlines, because after a flight or two they show up as being required to purchase two seats. Meanwhile, they don’t mind making others life miserable

What would have happened if that was the flight that is taking you to a cruise. If I was in this situation I would have feigned that I had a very important obligation and I expect to be on this flight. They should have bumped the overweight passenger considering his profile was flagged but altered.

Not only would I take the check of compensation I would do everything within my power to be on this flight or have my ticket endorsed to another airline in First Class. I would have asked for the airline to ask the overweight passenger to pay for my additional expenses and United cover the rest. I would also say that I do not want to sit next to the overweight passenger because I would have an uncomfortable flight so please get me a Business or First Class seat either on United or partner airline to arrive at my destination as close to the stated arrival time of this flight.

I would have contested the long layover too and say that I will miss my important event thanks to this situation that I did not volunteer to be in.

You see I boarded the flight on time and checked in so why did they let the overweight passenger fly knowing he had to purchase an additional seat. I think this person should have been punished as he was the offender. Just because you have Frequent Flier Status does not mean you have more rights especially in this situation.

On one my last business trips prior to retirement I boarded the plane, got my seat. bBsiness class. Full flight. At the last moment a lady boarded, came to my seat and claimed that I was in the incorrect seat. Turns out we were assigned the same seat. She asked me to vacate the seat. I declined (last flight-had meeting to).

She kicked up a fuss however I had no intention of giving up the seat without an alternate seat on the flight. Flight attendant came and checked our boarding passes. She asked the lady to wait by the cabin door. Came back to me and asked me to vacate the seat. I refused. Booked a week prior w/seat selection in business and I was at that time a frequent flyer. She asked me again....same reply.

Bottom line. The other person was de-planed. I kept my seat. I told the flight attendant that I thought she had a neve asking me to vacate the seat. I was never offered an incentive, would not have taken in in any event as I had a very tight schedule. I have little patience for companies that try to make their problem my problem. I have enough of my own without garnering more.

I have also been asked to move my brief case (audit case size) out of the storage so someone else could put something in. I refused. Sitting in economy with a full fare I was not about to sit for 4.5 hours with a briefcase in front of me simply because some other passenger had too much carry on which the airline turned a blind eye to.

My very last flight with United I was YELLED AT by the flight attendant to GET OUT OF MY SEAT and give it to the man standing behind her in the aisle. I had booked in advance and don't rely on upgrades for the class I want. At the gate I had watched them upgrade this same man from Economy into my seat. He stated he DESERVED my seat for the amount of time he flies with United. This was the final straw of a series of fiascos on a multi-leg journey: From YYZ-IAD, IAD-SFO, SFO-RNO, RNO-HNL, HNL-OGG Return, HNL-YYZ. With the exception of the HNL/OGG leg, all my flights were with UA in FC. Every single one of the UA flights had a major problem. That was the last time they received any revenue from me.

Edited by *Miss G*

There are those that believe that we who travel with carry on only do so in order to save money on baggage checking fees.

Nothing could be further from the truth. We have free baggage checking on our international flights and on our business class flights. We pack the same way on these as we do on any others.

All very well, but my DW will not decant all her toiletries into plastic bottles for anyone. We are on holiday, so waiting 25 minutes for a suitcase that contains life's essentials us not a problem, and after 40 years of travelling we have never lost our luggage.

Chacun a son gout !

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

We regular travelers suffer from the fact that 90+% of air travelers only fly once a year or less. Some have no clue as to the meaning of the Priority #, and believe seating is a first come first affair. Continually see people turned away by the gate agent having a Boarding priority #6, when they’ve only called #1!

Domestic airlines not enforcing the carry on limits create headaches for all. I still wish TSA would not allow oversized luggage through security. That would help a lot! Back in the 80s, the screening machines had size limiters on the front of the machine. If the carry on wouldn’t fit through the hole, the owner was sent back to stand in the check in line again.

Reminds me of a flight I was taking to Miami in the '90's. As they called our section for boarding and our line started down the loading tunnel, the man behind me had a large 'carry on' bag (at least four feet long). As I stepped on the plane, the F/A at the door stopped him and said, 'Sir, that bag is WAYYYY to long for the overhead, you' ll have to go back and check it'. He LOUDLY yelled, 'NO IT'S not !!' The F/A pointed to the mental frame (which ALL carry-ons are supposed to fit in) sitting outside the plane on the floor and said, ' See IF it'll fit in that, if so, then you can'. This idiot ran over to the frame, dumped his bag in it (the bag lapped over by a foot on each side). Then seeing the F/A was right, the man began to jump up AND down on his bag!!:rolleyes:Finally, after about 2 minutes of this 'sideshow', the F/A sighed, and said, 'Okay, ENOUGH ! Now, go back and let them check your back.' He angrily jerked the crumpled bad out and went back up the tunnel. I was really surprised the F/A stopped him but glad she did.

Mac

Reminds me of a flight I was taking to Miami in the '90's. As they called our section for boarding and our line started down the loading tunnel, the man behind me had a large 'carry on' bag (at least four feet long). As I stepped on the plane, the F/A at the door stopped him and said, 'Sir, that bag is WAYYYY to long for the overhead, you' ll have to go back and check it'. He LOUDLY yelled, 'NO IT'S not !!' The F/A pointed to the mental frame (which ALL carry-ons are supposed to fit in) sitting outside the plane on the floor and said, ' See IF it'll fit in that, if so, then you can'. This idiot ran over to the frame, dumped his bag in it (the bag lapped over by a foot on each side). Then seeing the F/A was right, the man began to jump up AND down on his bag!!:rolleyes:Finally, after about 2 minutes of this 'sideshow', the F/A sighed, and said, 'Okay, ENOUGH ! Now, go back and let them check your back.' He angrily jerked the crumpled bad out and went back up the tunnel. I was really surprised the F/A stopped him but glad she did.

Mac

Reminds me of the guy sitting beside me in a window seat one time. He started cursing and violently punching the window because he thought we'd spent enough time on the tarmac. :o

I boarded a plane several years ago returning from a cruise . A couple sat in front of my wife and I who had been on our cruise .The husband pushed the seat back and hit my knees with a lot of force . I asked if perhaps he could not sit that far back as I have a chronic knee problem. He responded by using all his weight to push the seat back even further . Then he got out of the seat and his wife went into his seat and she pushed the seat back with all her weight. I screamed and the flight attendant came to me.I explained the problem .She said there was nothing she could do other than to ask the people not to push the seat.They ignored her . The plane was full and the only thing I could do was to stand for the balance of the flight .

What is CA?

Air Canada

I think that you mean "AC" if talking about Air Canada. "CA" is Air China (Beijing), which is different than "CI" which is China Airlines (Taipei).

Then again, maybe CA meant "Cruise Air".