Be Considerate When Flying

klfrodo

You see I boarded the flight on time and checked in so why did they let the overweight passenger fly knowing he had to purchase an additional seat. I think this person should have been punished as he was the offender. .

Airlines will rarely offload the overweight passenger in these cases; they're afraid of the bad PR and of getting sued.

I have also been asked to move my brief case (audit case size) out of the storage so someone else could put something in. I refused. Sitting in economy with a full fare I was not about to sit for 4.5 hours with a briefcase in front of me simply because some other passenger had too much carry on which the airline turned a blind eye to.

If the other person was trying to put 2 items in the overhead then I say tough luck to them; stick the small one at their feet or let them gate check it. On the other hand, if already had a carry on bag in the overhead, then the courteous thing to do is keep your smaller item (briefcase) under the seat in front of you. If you aren't willing to do that, then either book first class so you have more leg room, or pack so that you can consolidate into one bag in the overhead.

I screamed and the flight attendant came to me.I explained the problem .She said there was nothing she could do other than to ask the people not to push the seat.They ignored her . The plane was full and the only thing I could do was to stand for the balance of the flight .

I certainly don't condone someone intentionally being a jerk like that, but the bottom line is people do have the right to recline their seat. If the seat in front of you in the fully reclined position hurts your knees so badly that the pax pushing on it causes you to scream in pain, I would argue that it's your responsibility to book a first class seat so that you are guaranteed more legroom.

I boarded a plane several years ago returning from a cruise . A couple sat in front of my wife and I who had been on our cruise .The husband pushed the seat back and hit my knees with a lot of force . I asked if perhaps he could not sit that far back as I have a chronic knee problem. He responded by using all his weight to push the seat back even further . Then he got out of the seat and his wife went into his seat and she pushed the seat back with all her weight. I screamed and the flight attendant came to me.I explained the problem .She said there was nothing she could do other than to ask the people not to push the seat.They ignored her . The plane was full and the only thing I could do was to stand for the balance of the flight .

Sorry you had such an uncomfortable flight. Some airlines have very restricted leg room in economy. In future, you might prefer to fly on airlines that provide a better seat pitch. Seatguru is a good website to check this. Or pay a little more for premium economy, or whatever your airline calls it.

I certainly don't condone someone intentionally being a jerk like that, but the bottom line is people do have the right to recline their seat. If the seat in front of you in the fully reclined position hurts your knees so badly that the pax pushing on it causes you to scream in pain, I would argue that it's your responsibility to book a first class seat so that you are guaranteed more legroom.

Not everyone can afford a first class seat .I no longer have a problem because of illnesses I can no longer be in an airplane.

Sorry you had such an uncomfortable flight. Some airlines have very restricted leg room in economy. In future, you might prefer to fly on airlines that provide a better seat pitch. Seatguru is a good website to check this. Or pay a little more for premium economy, or whatever your airline calls it.

That occurred in 2008 . Due to medical reasons I have not flown since 2010 and will never fly again.

Not everyone can afford a first class seat .I no longer have a problem because of illnesses I can no longer be in an airplane.

I realize it's no longer an issue, but for anyone else in similar circumstances....

Yes, I understand that not everyone can afford to buy a first class seat. BUT, you don't get to say "hey I can't afford first, but I expect to be able to restrict the person in front of me in coach from reclining their seat because I have knee issues." You don't get to make YOUR problem THEIR problem. I don't mean that to sound harsh but it is what it is. The other options are to book an extra legroom seat, be in in economy comfort or an exit row or whatever (and pay whatever premium is needed to do so) or you simply don't travel anywhere that necessitates being on a plane.

These are my suggestions. Others may add. Some may disagree.

1. Don't be gate lice. Don't hang around and clutter up the boarding area. The plane is not leaving without you. Wait until your time to board has been called.

2. Middle Seat. Let the poor sap who got the middle seat have both arm rests. It's the least you can do.

3. Recline. Yes, you have the right to recline as far as the seat will allow. Do you really have to though? Try to think of others. Maybe recline only half way.

4. Parents with Little Ones. Don't worry about it. We've all been there. Yes, they might get a little fussy, they might even have a melt down. You know what? Don't worry about it. Most of us have been there, done that. try to bring some snacks, toys, and maybe an iPad to keep them occupied. (Don't forget the headphones). If that 1 percenter is on the plane and doesn't like it,,, tell them to suck it.

5. That "personal" item for carry on? Does not mean a stuffed back pack. THAT is your carry on.

6. Debatable, but my pet peeve. If you can't place your carry on in the overhead bin because it's too big or too heavy, don't expect someone else to.

7. Say Please and Thank You to the flight attendants. They are not your servants.

If you have a problem with someone reclining, it is the airline to whom you should complain. If you're too big or too tall for an economy seat, it's not the fault of the passengers around you. Again: complain to the airline about their seating design/calculations. Also, you can opt for "premium economy" or "bizclass."

Regarding parents with little ones: as suggested above, be prepared with plenty of distractions. But, DO worry about "meltdowns" and be responsible (it's far more than 1% of fellow passengers who don't care for the "wild child").

As for other points:

PLEASE cover your cough/sneeze!

Bring Binkies for the littlest kids to use on takeoffs/landings. They work wonders for pressure equalization.

Don't bring stinky food on the plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have a problem with someone reclining, it is the airline to whom you should complain. If you're too big or too tall for an economy seat, it's not the fault of the passengers around you. Again: complain to the airline about their seating design/calculations. Also, you can opt for "premium economy" or "bizclass."

Regarding parents with little ones: as suggested above, be prepared with plenty of distractions. But, DO worry about "meltdowns" and be responsible (it's far more than 1% of fellow passengers who don't care for the "wild child").

As for other points:

PLEASE cover your cough/sneeze!

Bring Binkies for the littlest kids to use on takeoffs/landings. They work wonders for pressure equalization.

Don't bring stinky food on the5

Amen to that, especially the stinky food and the unruly kids. Nothing like spending hours on a flight while the child in the seat behind you kicks the seat back throughout the entire flight while the parents ignore it. Asking politely that it stop often will bring on more unruly behavior. Nobody should have to “suck up” someone else’s child’s bad behavior or anyone else’s bad behavior no matter the age.

Amen to that, especially the stinky food and the unruly kids. Nothing like spending hours on a flight while the child in the seat behind you kicks the seat back throughout the entire flight while the parents ignore it. Asking politely that it stop often will bring on more unruly behavior. Nobody should have to “suck up” someone else’s child’s bad behavior or anyone else’s bad behavior no matter the age.

LOL, unruly children! Nothing like them, I once stood up in the aisle and asked the person who was two (2) rows behind me if they would change seats with the child so they could kick the back of the seat of the parent.... that put a stop to it for the most part. The parent was mortified that I would have made that request of another passenger.

bon voyage

That genie is out of the bottle and will never go back in.

Too profitable and the public is not smart enough to fly airline A that is $20 more expensive but has free checked luggage.

Nope, the general public will always select the “cheapest” fare and then bitch about additional fees.

Even with free checked luggage, WN still has carry on issues.

True I got duped too! Not anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a Continental Airlines flight (obviously a few years ago) from FCO to EWR: I was seated in a window seat. The gentleman in front of me reclined his seat as far as it would go very soon after take-off from Rome. He left it there until he had to return it "to its upright position" in preparation for landing at Newark. During lunch, there was little chance I would spill anything on my lap; the tray table covered my lap due to the seat's position. Getting out of my seat to use the restroom proved "interesting" because of the position of the seat in front of me. Was this flight the most comfortable I have had? No. Did I even think about complaining to a Flight Attendant or to the gentleman about my uncomfortable situation? No.

Maybe there is something wrong with me. But, I usually follow the philosophy of "live and let live". "Lemons" happen in life and one has to learn to make "lemonade" out of them. In my opinion, that is particularly true during one's travels.

On a Continental Airlines flight (obviously a few years ago) from FCO to EWR: I was seated in a window seat. The gentleman in front of me reclined his seat as far as it would go very soon after take-off from Rome. He left it there until he had to return it "to its upright position" in preparation for landing at Newark. During lunch, there was little chance I would spill anything on my lap; the tray table covered my lap due to the seat's position. Getting out of my seat to use the restroom proved "interesting" because of the position of the seat in front of me. Was this flight the most comfortable I have had? No. Did I even think about complaining to a Flight Attendant or to the gentleman about my uncomfortable situation? No.

Maybe there is something wrong with me. But, I usually follow the philosophy of "live and let live". "Lemons" happen in life and one has to learn to make "lemonade" out of them. In my opinion, that is particularly true during one's travels.

A very commendable attitude, but I would have asked/told the passenger to sit up right during the food service. Normally the cabin crew will also ask passengers to do this as well. Having to sit upright for 40 minutes or so is not the end of the world, and is common decency.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

A very commendable attitude, but I would have asked/told the passenger to sit up right during the food service. Normally the cabin crew will also ask passengers to do this as well. Having to sit upright for 40 minutes or so is not the end of the world, and is common decency.

And if the passenger who's reclining is sleeping through dinner service? I've slept through many a meal onboard flights when sleep is more important (or pressing) than food.

I'd wager that was the case, as it's at least a bit of ungainly to eat in a reclined airline seat. Most folks raise the seat for their own ease of dining.

I realize it's no longer an issue, but for anyone else in similar circumstances....

Yes, I understand that not everyone can afford to buy a first class seat. BUT, you don't get to say "hey I can't afford first, but I expect to be able to restrict the person in front of me in coach from reclining their seat because I have knee issues." You don't get to make YOUR problem THEIR problem. I don't mean that to sound harsh but it is what it is. The other options are to book an extra legroom seat, be in in economy comfort or an exit row or whatever (and pay whatever premium is needed to do so) or you simply don't travel anywhere that necessitates being on a plane.

Perhaps but there is something called consideration of your fellow passengers.

And if the passenger who's reclining is sleeping through dinner service? I've slept through many a meal onboard flights when sleep is more important (or pressing) than food.

I'd wager that was the case, as it's at least a bit of ungainly to eat in a reclined airline seat. Most folks raise the seat for their own ease of dining.

I think that is where it gets interesting. I have a right to eat in reasonable comfort (which is virtually impossible in economy if the seat in front of me is reclined), just as much as the passenger in front of me has the right to sleep. Don't think there is a right or wrong here, but would be interested to know how others would handle the situation.

I think that is where it gets interesting. I have a right to eat in reasonable comfort (which is virtually impossible in economy if the seat in front of me is reclined), just as much as the passenger in front of me has the right to sleep. Don't think there is a right or wrong here, but would be interested to know how others would handle the situation.

The right is seats are supposed to be upright during meal service, so passengers may use their tray tables. It's the FA's job to enforce this.

Ring the call button to have them deal with it if it's a problem.

The right is seats are supposed to be upright during meal service, so passengers may use their tray tables. It's the FA's job to enforce this.

Ring the call button to have them deal with it if it's a problem.

That would be my proposal as well, and in fact the cc should enforce it whilst serving food rather than waiting to be asked. However, in my experience, cc are reluctant to wake passengers in this situation due to the aggravation they may get from the woken individual.

Perhaps but there is something called consideration of your fellow passengers.

So you're basically saying that if you have knee issues and can't have your legroom restricted, the person in front of you should be more considerate and not recline. As opposed to you being more considerate by booking an extra legroom seat (economy comfort, exit row) so you don't have to ask them the person in front to restrict themselves from reclining. Yes, people should be considerate of others, but if someone A) has a physical issue and B) can do something to prevent turning it into someone else's problem (i.e. buy a seat in economy comfort) they should do so.

So you're basically saying that if you have knee issues and can't have your legroom restricted, the person in front of you should be more considerate and not recline. As opposed to you being more considerate by booking an extra legroom seat (economy comfort, exit row) so you don't have to ask them the person in front to restrict themselves from reclining. Yes, people should be considerate of others, but if someone A) has a physical issue and B) can do something to prevent turning it into someone else's problem (i.e. buy a seat in economy comfort) they should do so.

Amen.

BTW, there is no "rule" or "regulation" (FAA or otherwise) requiring seat position other than during takeoff and landing.

Amen.

BTW, there is no "rule" or "regulation" (FAA or otherwise) requiring seat position other than during takeoff and landing.

No there isn't, but common decency is to return your seat to the upright position during the meal service.

6rugrats stated that "it is a right for the seats to be in an upright position during meal service" and that "it's the Flight Attendants job to enforce this".

A "right"? Where does one find that "right" so listed?

6rugrats stated that "it is a right for the seats to be in an upright position during meal service" and that "it's the Flight Attendants job to enforce this".

A "right"? Where does one find that "right" so listed?

There is no "right" to anything on a flight other than that determined by the captain of the aircraft.

My own view, which is insignificant in the scale of things, is that every passenger has the right to recline their seat during the flight, apart from during meal service, when the seats should be upright. Simples !

The couple seated in front of me intentionally pushed the seat back as far as they possibly could.

These people were regulars on CC and I posted to them when I returned from the cruise .Every person who read my post agreed with me .They are no longer posting on CC or perhaps using new names .Coincidentally 2 days after returning I met the wife in a bank (we live in the same area ) .She apologized to me.