grannytolucas

Grannytolucas

Thanks does it have to be photo ID as i dont have a drivers license or anything. :)

yes it needs to be a government issued Photo ID. your local DMV will issue you a non driver ID. usually for a nominal fee/less than a DL.

Unless it is specifically required to leave the ship in a port you visit, the usual requirement for going ashore is your 'cruise card' and a photo ID.

As suggested, recommend the passport stay in your cabin's safe, unless otherwise required.

yes it needs to be a government issued Photo ID. your local DMV will issue you a non driver ID. usually for a nominal fee/less than a DL.

Huh, I was not aware a second photo ID was required. As far as I can recall, we have never been asked to produce one.

Are you guys saying it is required, or that you think a second ID is a "good idea" for whatever reason?

Huh, I was not aware a second photo ID was required. As far as I can recall, we have never been asked to produce one.

Are you guys saying it is required, or that you think a second ID is a "good idea" for whatever reason?

I said 'recommended.' Passports are worth a lot of money, should you have it disappear (lost, stolen, etc.)

If you prefer to leave the ship with your passport as your photo ID, then by all means, do so. The ship only requires 1 government issued form of ID. However, you assume the risk of your passport being stolen or lost.

Most cruisers would prefer to use their DL instead, as it is easier to replace, and its loss wouldn't be as problematic when dealing with immigration when entering another country or returning home.

There are also some cruise lines, and some itineraries, where the ship will collect your passport when you board and only return them when you disembark (unless they are required by a particular country to be carried during a port stop.)

And we've been required to show our photo ID to port security many times.

The second ID is not required. You can use your passport as the photo ID in the ports that require one. However, many people feel it is safer to leave the passport in the safe and take a DL or other government issued photo ID ashore.

The second ID is not required. You can use your passport as the photo ID in the ports that require one. However, many people feel it is safer to leave the passport in the safe and take a DL or other government issued photo ID ashore.

Thanks. Makes a lot of sense and I appreciate the friendly response.

HI

Myself and partner are going on our first cruise in September 2018 apart from our passports do we need any other ID of who we are.

Suggest that you post with a header that indicates what you want to know and not your name.

DON

HI

Myself and partner are going on our first cruise in September 2018 apart from our passports do we need any other ID of who we are.

All you need is your passport. No need for a drivers license or any other government issued ID when you have a passport.

depending on ports, yes we have been required to produce one; and it was 'highly encouraged' by other sources it not be my usual ID( I also do not drive) - my military dependent one. so, I bit the bullet and used my passport. now I have a FL state ID so thats what comes with me.