Chartered?

I know this is just speculation right now, but trying to think of my options.

What happens if all of the staterooms that you need (two connecting cabins) are all sold out on cruises they offer to rebook you on?

Then you are out of luck with regard to booking under price protection. This is why some book backup cruises.

I know this is just speculation right now, but trying to think of my options.

What happens if all of the staterooms that you need (two connecting cabins) are all sold out on cruises they offer to rebook you on?

You would then be left with the option of cancelling for a full refund or booking any other cruise at prevailing rates and keeping the OBC that they offer as part of the deal.

I have done it. I've booked a cruise to get the cabin that I want, then when on board the ship I booked the same sailing for the OBC, came home and switched the cabin and then cancelled the first booking.

That's way I did it, though been while. My name on 2 cabins, switched to cabin one that I really wanted...

We have heard back from Royal. They told us the cruise is not charted at this time. The lady also said that it doesn’t mean it won’t be. She advised us not to jump ship now because she could not offer any price protection at this time. She acknowledged that there are ads claiming the sailing is being chartered by Atlantis but there is not a charter. So we wait.

We were on a cruise Feb 2017 that had 2 groups on board. It was NOT a pleasant experience. I felt especially sorry for the parents with children. I think it is inexcusable that the cruise line does not advise so that people can make an informed decision.

A lot of time those groups just take a bunch of rooms not charter the whole ship.

We were on a Princess Cruise about 5 years ago.

On that cruise there was the Chumly Bears gay men’s group. I would say they had 500-600 people in the group.

We still had a good time. The only issue was that many gay guys together can be over powering.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on a cruise Feb 2017 that had 2 groups on board. It was NOT a pleasant experience. I felt especially sorry for the parents with children. I think it is inexcusable that the cruise line does not advise so that people can make an informed decision.

This ship will not be a partial charter. If it does in fact get chartered (yes I know that they are advertising it however even though they are advertising it does not mean that they have spoken with Royal. In fact you can’t put any money down on a cabin through Atlantis) Royal will give you several options for a different cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

You can still book this 2/3/19 cruise. It wouldn't allow me to book a cabin for 3 people but it had no problem allowing me to book 2 cabins with a child in each.

That being said. I cruise with kids and we have a RCCL cruise coming up. We are done. I'm not doing this.

Edited by ustasmom

No naming of Travel Agency's allowed on Cruise Critic...

I was just disputing that is was said that it isn't for sale outside of the charter. But now that you have quoted my post, I can fix my post but you've made it impossible for me to fix your post.

I was just disputing that is was said that it isn't for sale outside of the charter. But now that you have quoted my post, I can fix my post but you've made it impossible for me to fix your post.

If you try to follow thru with booking it you will see that you can't book it even though it's listed as for sale

Looks like this sailing is now closed to the public

thanks for the heads up. I called RCCL this morning, 02/03/19 can't be booked. They still, however refused to commit to it being a charter... They did, however allow me to hold a cabin on the allure for another date, without cancelling my current one on 02/03/19. You see, we had this trip planned to be fllowed with an Edge cruise on the 10th & so if the 3rd is a no go- well I'll at least be able to get the same ship, cabin and itinerary on the 17th.

As it's been explained to me, once things become official and we get bumped,they'll change the new booking#, over to the existing 02/03 booking#, and apply whatever perks they'll be dishing out onto it. I gotta say, this whole thing is irritating! RCCL can do as they damn well please, but we're locked into non-refundable bookings in order to get a reasonable rate deal. Would seem the cards are stacked in their favor so I don't think I'll continue to book with this cruise line.

My guess on how such charters work is that a company like Atlantis gets a quote to charter the entire ship for a certain sailing and probably has 30-60 days (or some time frame anyway) to accept the quote or not.

In that time frame the company can advertise it and start taking bookings gauge if there is enough interest in that sailing that they can fill (or mostly fill) the charter. if they do not sell enough in that decision time frame, they refund the buyers and do not actually charter the ship.

If they do sell enough to feel it will be a profitable situation for them, they officially charter the sailing by the deadline and THEN RCI can notify others booked on the sailing prior to the charter and make new arrangements.

The chatter by Atlantis on a site that can't be named was that the charter was still getting finalized and that it would take a few weeks. That was about a week ago and since it's now offline I assume that it is chartered by them and the contract is signed

My guess on how such charters work is that a company like Atlantis gets a quote to charter the entire ship for a certain sailing and probably has 30-60 days (or some time frame anyway) to accept the quote or not.

In that time frame the company can advertise it and start taking bookings gauge if there is enough interest in that sailing that they can fill (or mostly fill) the charter. if they do not sell enough in that decision time frame, they refund the buyers and do not actually charter the ship.

If they do sell enough to feel it will be a profitable situation for them, they officially charter the sailing by the deadline and THEN RCI can notify others booked on the sailing prior to the charter and make new arrangements.

The company in question had not taken any booking go for the cruise. In fact they said they were legally not allowed to take bookings until the charter became finalized. They did not even advertise it on their website, it was a third party website that was advertising it.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

The company in question had not taken any booking go for the cruise. In fact they said they were legally not allowed to take bookings until the charter became finalized. They did not even advertise it on their website, it was a third party website that was advertising it.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

Sorry, I missed that information.

Makes it even more clear that RCI couldn't do anything for the OP at first, as the ship wasn't actually chartered at that point.

thanks for the heads up. I called RCCL this morning, 02/03/19 can't be booked. They still, however refused to commit to it being a charter... They did, however allow me to hold a cabin on the allure for another date, without cancelling my current one on 02/03/19. You see, we had this trip planned to be fllowed with an Edge cruise on the 10th & so if the 3rd is a no go- well I'll at least be able to get the same ship, cabin and itinerary on the 17th.

As it's been explained to me, once things become official and we get bumped,they'll change the new booking#, over to the existing 02/03 booking#, and apply whatever perks they'll be dishing out onto it. I gotta say, this whole thing is irritating! RCCL can do as they damn well please, but we're locked into non-refundable bookings in order to get a reasonable rate deal. Would seem the cards are stacked in their favor so I don't think I'll continue to book with this cruise line.

Thanks for the update. How long will they hold the cabin for you,and did you have to put a deposit down?Did you speak with anyone special or just an agent? Thanks