Tired of dining room meals being interrupted.

cello56

• 2 weeks later...

We don't care for the cheesy and degrading parade of waiters, the announcements, etc.

We like the Windjammer at dinner as it is much quieter, we have our choice of many tables and because we serve ourselves, dinners are not a lengthy production that gets in the way of catching a film, walking on deck, etc.

Did a B-2-B on the Allure, first week was with the family, second week was just my wife and I.  The first week we all ate in the MDR, second week we ate in the Windjammer, believe it or not the Windjammer was a much better dinning experience.

2 hours ago, JamesEM said:

Did a B-2-B on the Allure, first week was with the family, second week was just my wife and I.  The first week we all ate in the MDR, second week we ate in the Windjammer, believe it or not the Windjammer was a much better dinning experience.

That is what we have been finding in the last year or two.  WJ is less hectic, quieter, and has more selection.

1 hour ago, windjamming said:

On the last night of one of our recent cruises, the entire dining room was asked to give the chefs and waitstaff a standing ovation. I'm all for recognizing outstanding service above and beyond, but this was for people just doing their jobs. 

They're working on a ship 12 or more hours a day 7 days a week far from home and doing more than one job. I'd call that above and beyond. (Yes, I know, they signed up for it but it's nice to show a little extra appreciation, especially if it doesn't cost anything.) 

• Like 1

They don't need me to clap for them to recognize their extra effort.  If they are doing above and beyond they'll get an extra cash tip.  If they annoy me with repeated interruptions and requests for applause they'll get their applause but that will be in lieu of cash.  They aren't getting both!

On 10/7/2018 at 9:02 AM, cello56 said:

Ok, call me a stick in the mud, but I am getting very tired of all the hoop a la in the dining room. Just got off Brilliance, on a five night cruise, and THREE of the nights had a head waiter yelling on a microphone for at least ten minutes. Yes the staff work hard, and I reward them with a polite thank you, and with my gratuities. Do we really need to have a staff member going on and on and on telling us how great they are? The exact same thing happened on Allure last month. Both times the person was literally yelling into the microphone to the point where it was hurting my ears. The woman last month went on for 20 MINUTES on the last night. Way over the top.

It used to be that they started this once you were at the end of the meal, and we could easily leave before it began. Now, they seem to be doing it earlier and earlier so they have a captive market. Last night we waited 58 minutes to get our entrees, so we were in the middle of dinner when they began.

I wish they would go back to the way they used to do it. Five minutes on the last evening at the end of the meal. People twirled their napkins, the staff did a short parade around the dining room, and they called it a night.

Stick in the mud. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

They don't need me to clap for them to recognize their extra effort.  If they are doing above and beyond they'll get an extra cash tip.  If they annoy me with repeated interruptions and requests for applause they'll get their applause but that will be in lieu of cash.  They aren't getting both!

The folks in the galleys do not get gratuities!

Hmm Every RC cruise I have been on they do this the last night at the end of dinner.

Never bothered us and thought it was kind of cool. Our waiter seemed to like it and waved at us the last time.

Edited by shred5

12 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

They're working on a ship 12 or more hours a day 7 days a week far from home and doing more than one job. I'd call that above and beyond. (Yes, I know, they signed up for it but it's nice to show a little extra appreciation, especially if it doesn't cost anything.) 

I can see your point of view. About half the people in our section complied with the request. For me, I'd just prefer to show appreciation my own way that doesn't interrupt my dinner. 

9 hours ago, CruisinCrow said:

I find it so awkward when they beg for excellent ratings on the surveys.

We were on Liberty first week of October.  Interestingly, we were not prompted once by anyone for excellent or "10s" on ratings, and there was a section on our post-cruise survey wanting to know if anyone had lobbied for good ratings, and if so, who?

Now that said, a slip, fall and injury kept us dining in the cabin the last 2 nights, so not sure if we missed the begging as a result.

On 10/7/2018 at 7:02 AM, cello56 said:

Ok, call me a stick in the mud, but I am getting very tired of all the hoop a la in the dining room. Just got off Brilliance, on a five night cruise, and THREE of the nights had a head waiter yelling on a microphone for at least ten minutes. Yes the staff work hard, and I reward them with a polite thank you, and with my gratuities. Do we really need to have a staff member going on and on and on telling us how great they are? The exact same thing happened on Allure last month. Both times the person was literally yelling into the microphone to the point where it was hurting my ears. The woman last month went on for 20 MINUTES on the last night. Way over the top.

It used to be that they started this once you were at the end of the meal, and we could easily leave before it began. Now, they seem to be doing it earlier and earlier so they have a captive market. Last night we waited 58 minutes to get our entrees, so we were in the middle of dinner when they began.

I wish they would go back to the way they used to do it. Five minutes on the last evening at the end of the meal. People twirled their napkins, the staff did a short parade around the dining room, and they called it a night.

I'm used to the last night hoopla, but I've never experienced this and hope I don't have to in the future.  Having to sit through a 10 to 20 minute speech during several different dinners is nuts.  And if service is delayed that makes it even worse.   

BTW, one time on Princess we were privileged to sit through a 10 minute infomercial during the lifeboat muster drill.  Never happened again on any future cruise.  I assume the feedback was so negative they decided to stop.   

Had this happen for the first time on Oasis at end of August and found it mildly annoying with 2 separate nights of "let's give our staff a hand and some shouting and singing, "went to WJ the same night( just to check if I Was hungry) and had the same shpiel