warning to those without a passport

jamieng

I don't have one. Cruised on the Freedom 8/29. When boarding, the person checking us in asked if I had my marriage license with me. I said no. She said she shouldn't let me on the ship because my last name on my birth cert and DL did not match. I explained that this was our 7th cruise (5th with RCI) and I've never been asked for my marriage license.

She gave me a long speech about new homeland security laws and that it's "highly suggested" I have passport because "how do I know you didn't find this birth cert on the street?" I knew she was stretching (what were the odds I'd find a birth cert with state, first and middle name, and birthdate the same as my DL) but I was extremely polite...I wanted to get on that ship!

She gave me a "pass" because my maiden name is on my kids' birth certs, and she "would link me to them that way." I thanked her over and over. It might have been just to scare me into getting a passport, as I've never had this problem in the past. Regardless...it worked. I will not sail with out a passport again.

So ladies...if you don't have a passport bring your marriage license!!!

She could rightfully deny your boarding.

The requirement of having a passport has been in place for probably over 2 years by now.

The bigger issue is, when you return home, US Immigration can deny your re-entry of the country when you do not have a required travel document, namely the passport.

I know passport costs money but it is so much simpler to have your passport than carrying multiple papers (birth cert, married license, kids' birth certs...)

I don't have one. Cruised on the Freedom 8/29. When boarding, the person checking us in asked if I had my marriage license with me. I said no. She said she shouldn't let me on the ship because my last name on my birth cert and DL did not match. I explained that this was our 7th cruise (5th with RCI) and I've never been asked for my marriage license.

She gave me a long speech about new homeland security laws and that it's "highly suggested" I have passport because "how do I know you didn't find this birth cert on the street?" I knew she was stretching (what were the odds I'd find a birth cert with state, first and middle name, and birthdate the same as my DL) but I was extremely polite...I wanted to get on that ship!

She gave me a "pass" because my maiden name is on my kids' birth certs, and she "would link me to them that way." I thanked her over and over. It might have been just to scare me into getting a passport, as I've never had this problem in the past. Regardless...it worked. I will not sail with out a passport again.

So ladies...if you don't have a passport bring your marriage license!!!

That requirement is nowhere to be found in RCL's guidelines. If it was clearly a requirement, that check in person could not have given you a "pass".

Find the BC on the street, LOL?

Gee what are the odds that the first name and birthdate match exactly.

That requirement is nowhere to be found in RCL's guidelines. If it was clearly a requirement, that check in person could not have given you a "pass".

Find the BC on the street, LOL?

Gee what are the odds that the first name and birthdate match exactly.

She literally said, "I'm going to give you a pass because I see that your maiden name is on your child's birth cert and I could link you that way." She went on to say that while passports are not required to cruise, cruise lines are in a "gray area" and eventually passports will be required.

Like I said...lesson learned. My family will have passports soon!

It has been posted here many times that a "bridging" document is HIGHLY recommended and usually asked for if your last name is different than the one on your BC. It simply varies from agent to agent if you will be asked for it or not.

I dont think the agent was having a bad day. She was just doing her job. :)

The requirement of having a passport has been in place for probably over 2 years by now.

The bigger issue is, when you return home, US Immigration can deny your re-entry of the country when you do not have a required travel document, namely the passport.

I know passport costs money but it is so much simpler to have your passport than carrying multiple papers (birth cert, married license, kids' birth certs...)

Incorrect, a passport is not required for a closed loop cruise.

There has never been a requirement for a Caribbean closed loop cruise, which most are.

If a passport were a requirement the OP would not have cruised. Those behind the desk have no authority to pass or deny anyone their vacation because they think they can intemperate the rules their way.

Those behind the desk have no authority to pass or deny anyone their vacation because they think they can intemperate the rules their way.

Copied straight from royalcaribbean.com. The woman was only doing her job.

Different Surnames (Last Names):

If a woman has several surnames on different documents such as birth certificate and drivers license, then she must bridge the difference with other documents, such as, marriage license and/or divorce papers. The additional bridging documents must be the original or a certified or notarized copy

Copied straight from royalcaribbean.com. The woman was only doing her job.

If you take that quote in context, it is referring to family legal documents. Here is the complete quote.

Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Different Surnames (Last Names):

If a woman has several surnames on different documents such as birth certificate and drivers license, then she must bridge the difference with other documents, such as, marriage license and/or divorce papers. The additional bridging documents must be the original or a certified or notarized copy.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do;jsessionid=0000NntQnKaa4mIqceyxXvu9saf:13hldcill

Being Canadian, I require a passport to go on a cruise.

I've noticed that when it comes to flying, boarding the cruise and clearing security afterwards that I get through much quicker with a passport than the people beside me who are showing DL's, birth certificates, etc.

You got very lucky indeed with the gate agent. I work for a branch of the government where we require identification documents all the time. One thing we always stress is that the names on all pieces of ID are consistent. In practical terms, what that means is that the names are identical - surnames, initials, etc. They must be spelled exactly the same way on each piece of identification or we will not accept them.

You are giving very good advice when you suggest people get a passport.

You are wrong.

It has been posted here many times that a "bridging" document is HIGHLY recommended and usually asked for if your last name is different than the one on your BC. It simply varies from agent to agent if you will be asked for it or not.

I dont think the agent was having a bad day. She was just doing her job. :)

You are right.

There has never been a requirement for a Caribbean closed loop cruise, which most are.

If a passport were a requirement the OP would not have cruised. Those behind the desk have no authority to pass or deny anyone their vacation because they think they can intemperate the rules their way.

I am having trouble understanding your post. Do you, by any chance, mean "interpret" the rules?

A married woman's BC and DL's last name seldom "matches"....it's the birth date they should be looking at....

Sounds like your check-in clerk was having a bad day and trying to pass along her 'angst" to others!

Sorry but you're wrong on that one. What the gate agent was looking for was a legal document that proved the change in name. Birth date means nothing.

I can't imagine traveling anywhere outside the US without my passport.

You never know... what if you miss the boat in Cozumel?

Can you imagine? The (additional) hurdles you'd have to jump JUST to get back to the States?

... and they're (the passports) so much sturdier than a notorized Birth Certificate/marriage license... They don't tear at the folds.

I asked this very question of my travel agent, as I kept my original middle name when I married, rather than my maiden name. My name on my children's BCs is First Middle Maiden Last, and those are certified, original documents. Wouldn't this satisfy the required "bridging" document?

Nothing in the required documents say that those with a name change because of marriage need to prove why. Just the BC and license with current name that matches cruise docs are required. Pretty simple

If it weren't that way, this board would have a post every day about being denied boarding because they didn't bring their marriage certificate.

Nothing in the required documents say that those with a name change because of marriage need to prove why. Just the BC and license with current name that matches cruise docs are required. Pretty simple

If it weren't that way, this board would have a post every day about being denied boarding because they didn't bring their marriage certificate.

But if the BC doesn't match the name on the cruise docs, wouldn't you agree that someone should have a document showing why they don't match? Or perhaps be using an alternative ID, such as a passport?

But if the BC doesn't match the name on the cruise docs, wouldn't you agree that someone should have a document showing why they don't match? Or perhaps be using an alternative ID, such as a passport?

Maybe so, but I've never been asked to present a marriage license, nor has RCI or my agent suggested I do so (until this cruise). My cruise agent was even surprised when I told him, claiming he's never heard of that before and will certainly warn his other customers. And, he's been a cruise agent for several years.

Archived