HUGE announcement from SS April 2nd...

Host Dan

I wouldn't be surprised if Silversea is finally sold to a major cruise line; Carnival PLC, Royal Caribbean, or maybe even PCH. Or, maybe picked up by one of the major Italian lines.

Of course, the announcement could be as simple as finally disposing of the two old ships.

Marc

Dan, thanks..another poster now on board the Spirit posted in another thread that Silversea will soon announce another Spirit class ship build, tho can't find any source at Silversea (Ft. Lauderdale) to confirm it or find any news story (google).

JP..love your humor :)

Maybe this is the reason I can't get a quote???? I'm thinking about extending my B2B to 3 cruises but apparently Reservations can't give me a quote....it has to come from Inventory? Anyone heard of this before?

By the time, they give me the quote, I'll be sick of waiting :rolleyes:

Cheers

Jennifer

I wouldn't be surprised if Silversea is finally sold to a major cruise line; Carnival PLC, Royal Caribbean, or maybe even PCH. Or, maybe picked up by one of the major Italian lines.
I would be shocked beyond belief.

JP, I too love your humor. Had me chuckling out loud.

I was wondering what would be the most radical change.. and then the light went on...

They are going to make dress for formal nights discretionary...aka seabourn...:D

We are on the Whisper in November, and this is quite interesting. Hope they are not sold to carnival. That would be horrid.

Keith1010: I am glad that you didn't say the announcement was scheduled for April 1st. Keith

Interesting questions and speculations. Yes' date=' having duct tape as the new boss would be great. But, I think she is too smart to invest those millions and millions of dollars needed in today's difficult world economy!! Funny comment by Keith on being just an April Fools Day announcement.

But, having Carnival as the new owner would be really, really bad. On Friday night, Jay Leno, who might get dumped by NBC despite top ratings, told this joke:

[i']Leno said that he had dinner Thursday with a "bunch of NBC executives" who offered to make things up to him: He and his wife are going on an all-expenses paid Carnival Cruise, he joked.[/i]

Agree that the best guess is announcing another new, larger ship. Maybe transitioning out one or two of the older ship that are getting more costly and challenging to maintain. Like with an older home, those internal "mechanics" are tougher to keep up to twenty-first century standards of performance. You can upgrade paint, carpet, furnitures, etc., in a fairly easy manner. Fixing the older pipes and "systems" are much harder after a certain point in use, time.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 100,719 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Just spoke with a major SS TA, and was told a huge "game changer" announcement is to be made April 2nd. Any ideas???? :confused::confused:

Host Dan

Is it Caviar to be included in the cruise price or Jeans to be allowed in all dining venues after 18.00. :)

I have it on very good authority that people will be allowed to take their dogs and horses on board but they have to be out of the main restaurant by 21:30.

Jeff,they have been eating horse in the dining room for years.:)

Reallly keeping our fingers crossed. Unfortunately, we have heard negative things about Silversea for the past six months -- nothing specific -- just that they are in trouble. I have chosen not to believe this and we will be on Silver Shadow in September.

Just spoke with a major SS TA, and was told a huge "game changer" announcement is to be made April 2nd. Any ideas???? :confused::confused:

Host Dan

One or two new builds, as has been speculated elsewhere, would be significant, but maybe a stretch that these new builds are the unknown "game changer" that Silversea is teasing us with. Here's a theory (requires real capital as a condition) as to what a "game changer" could be. There are three steps involved:

1. Silversea acquires Seabourn from Carnival group
  2. Wind and Cloud are sold (either to Carnival as part of 1. or separately)
  3. Two new builds announced (as per separate speculation are announced - Spirit or Spirit + configurations)(may provide part down payment for new builds)

Assuming Silversea can line up necessary capital (a big "if"), why does this happen?

1. Silversea needs scale to compete in a changing market - e.g. more ships, more geographic coverage, more passengers per cruise
  2. Seabourn is NOT a strategic fit for Carnival - Carnival is not a luxury operator and should top out at HA; Carnival is all about scale; Seabourn has been dressed up for sale by the sale of smaller/older ships to Windstar (once owned by Carnival group); and because sale is so small to Carnival they may be willing to extend seller financing to Silversea and sell ships at less than new build cost
  3. Remaining Seabourn ships have similar physical configurations and capacities to Silversea that would allow for optimal integration; execution may be different, especially under HA operational mess, but the layout including common areas, restaurants, entertainment, crew facilities, cabin sizes etc. are close enough that it is the most optimum merger of ships possible in the class.
  4. Although Oceania is one category below true luxury it is emerging as a competitor that Silversea has to react to from an itinerary and pricing basis. The scale of Silversea + Seabourn + new builds would allow Silversea to compete effectively, albeit differentiated from Oceania. It would more effectively compete against Regent as well, so both sides of Prestige Holdings offerings are covered. Prestige is looking for an exit and won't do more new builds unless they conclude it is necessary for an exit.
  5. Crystal isn't looking to merge. Long-term they will need to merge or obtain greater scale, but for now they have just sent out a hugely expensive brochure covering through part of 2015. They are watching cash burn closely and seem to be doing fine for now with their two ships.

I've attached a luxury ship analysis giving data pertinent to the above scenario. It most likely will prove to be a pipe dream. Maybe the game changer will be simply the one or two new builds with an extra deck supporting additional alternative restaurants, expanded spa and gym, expanded entertainment etc.; if it is that, it would be great. In my mind, however, a real game changer is what I've put forth.

Only a few days to dream and wonder until April 2.

Luxury Segment_Ship Capacity.pdf

Thanks Howard for a provocative analysis on the potential huge speculative announcement coming from SS.

ps..still waiting to hear from Mrs. Bettridge (President of SS/Americas) when the SS/CC meet & greet will be instituted. At that point will offer some detail suggestions (registration, name tags, ship leaders attend, et. al.)

Jeff,they have been eating horse in the dining room for years.:)

On a recent trip to Saint-Paul de Vence to a place you will know, there was genuinely a "hair in my soup". After a morning of particularly good and prolific drinks I was unusually confident in my French and pointed it out to the waiter who hooted with derision. Very hurtful.

Cheval is evidently not quite the same as cheveux.

Archived