2009/2010 fares

meow!

There is talk that Silversea has deliberately increased their brochure fares in order to give higher discounts, from 50% off for 2009 to 60% off for 2010, while not reducing the real fares at all. We took a cursory look at this, trying to compare three pairs of voyages, of the same itinerary in each case, of the same length of voyage. It is difficult to find such samples (pairs of voyages starting/ending in same pairs of ports and of the same length) in Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, and Asia Pacific. So we chose three pairs (2009/2010) in North and South America.

1. Alaska, 12 days, voyage 3923, September, 2009, Vancouver to Los Angeles on Shadow

verandah suite list $11,295 at 50% off for $5,647 included air fare

Reverse itinerary, voyage 3012, May, 2010 on Shadow

verandah suite list $11,495 (increase of less than 2%), at 60% off for $4,598 (reduction

of 19%) included air fare

2. Panama Canal, 16 days, voyage 3926, October, 2009, L.A. to Ft Lauderdale on Shadow

verandah suite list $13,595 at 50% off for $6,797 not included air fare

Same itinerary, voyage 3003, January, 2010 on Shadow

verandah suite list $16,095 (increase of 18%), at 60% off for $6,438 included air fare

consider air fare worth $300, it becomes $6,138 (effective reduction of 10%)

3. South America 16 days voyage 1930, pre-Xmas, 2009 Bueno Aires to Santiago on Cloud

verandah suite list $16,795 at 50% off for $8,397 not included air

Reverse itinerary, voyage 4033, pre-Xmas, 2010 on Shadow (different ship)

verandah suite list $21,895 (increase of 30%), at 60% off for $8,758 included air fare

consider air fare worth $1,000, it becomes $7,758 (effective reduction of 9%)

So from the above, it is obvious that Silversea is "playing price". At the same time, there is reduction in real effective price from 2009 to 2010 (a result of the poor economic situation, and probably a vast increase of berth capacity (by 40%) with the introduction of the newbuild Spirit. As for the percentage of reduction, it depends a lot on individual itinerary. Any comment?

When we were on board the Silver Shadow the on board booking consultant told us that they had raised the list prices from what they originally shows but also increase the percentage savings. i looked at him and didn't say anything. It seemed silly to me and I understood it was all a game in terms of the pricing.

Keith

When we were on board the Silver Shadow the on board booking consultant told us that they had raised the list prices from what they originally shows but also increase the percentage savings. i looked at him and didn't say anything. It seemed silly to me and I understood it was all a game in terms of the pricing. Keith

Well summarized by Keith. Sad, but true. It's called marketing and business. Happens all of the time on many different goods and services! Go to a hospital or doctor. They will bill for $4,128 while the insurance company "only" pays $1,973. The real "cost" might have been around $1700. It's a game. Kind of silly. But, many businesses want consumers to think they got a "BIG DISCOUNT!" or the middle agent has achieved significant savings. Don't get me started on department stores such as Macy's with all of the supposed savings coupons and discounts. Sadly, it's kind of "normal" and expected. Cruise line aren't the first or only folks to do this type of sticker price versus reality pricing/marketing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

To get a TRUE and accurate comparison ... same itineraries at the same time of year should be compared. The reverse itineraries or different months often reflect different fares.

Another good example of companies "playing" with pricing ... check grocery stores. A package of cereal (just for example) that used to be $4.00 for 18oz ... is suddenly repackaged (same size box) with less contents and advertised as a "Special" at 15oz for $3.49 ... actually a price INCREASE per ounce. Happens all the time. Welcome to the world of today!

Not to beat a dead horse, but it's been pointed out many times on recent threads that the real reductions in price don't really apply to the longtime cruisers, since the various frequent floater discounts are now based on the discounted prices rather than on the brochure prices, as was previously the case.

To get a TRUE and accurate comparison ... same itineraries at the same time of year should be compared. The reverse itineraries or different months often reflect different fares.
Correct, but when those aren't available, we have to take what is available, as close as possible!

Please keep in mind that we want these luxury lines to stay in business. If they need to increase fares slightly to accomplish that, so be it. We do not have to travel if we don't want to or can't afford to do it. I, for one, would gladly pay a slightly higher fare if it meant that I could still have access to the type of travel that I prefer. Nothing costs what it used to in "the good old days". Things change - some for the better, some for the worse. There have not been large increases recently, and we should be happy for that. Many other commodities have increased a whole lot more than luxury travel.

Please keep in mind that we want these luxury lines to stay in business. If they need to increase fares slightly to accomplish that, so be it. We do not have to travel if we don't want to or can't afford to do it. I, for one, would gladly pay a slightly higher fare if it meant that I could still have access to the type of travel that I prefer. Nothing costs what it used to in "the good old days". Things change - some for the better, some for the worse. There have not been large increases recently, and we should be happy for that. Many other commodities have increased a whole lot more than luxury travel.

Well said!

I agree as well. While I bemoan some of the changes, I do want Silversea to survive and thrive, since I really enjoy it and have for many years! But I do hope that they maintain and improve significant Venetian advantages to discourage their loyals from switching to other lines. And don't mess with the free laundry!

I agree that this is not a happy practice with SS.

In April I booked a late 2010 cruise. The "published" fare on my confirmation was $11,993.

I then saw there were 60% savings, air credit, etc. So a few weeks ago I asked my TA to rebook the cruise.

When it came back, the "published" fare for precisely the same cruise, same suite, etc., had gone up to $19,043. Yes, I got "60%" savings and an air credit. In the end, I saved a whopping few hundred dollars by making the change.

SS is playing games with us.

For as long as I can remember cruise lines have been playing these games with "published" prices. I have never met anyone who paid this phony "published" amount. Why they cannot publish realistic fares that all pay rather than try to show these, I say it again, "phony," discounts, beats me!!!

I can see discounts off the fares for early booking but these 50% & 60% discounts are patently false.

Archived