Roll Call: Silver Spirit, Lisbon-Bridgetown, 23 October 2010

ging466

I tend to always book my own air arrangments---I guess I am a bit fussy about my flights. That is good to know for the future however--if I ever take the air with SS.

Does that mean everyone will be going home directly off the ship?

I think we'll probably go home since we plan on taking 3 extra nights in Lisbon at the beginning.

Prince: I book my own air also because I am rather fussy about such arrangements. Like others I intend to arrive early in Lisbon, and then head home on disembarkation day.

If you do stay in Barbados, I would highly recommend the Hilton - it is a very nice property with really great views.

Charlie

Thanks for the pointer--I'll take a look at the hotel.

It sounds like most people will be in Lisbon prior to the sailing. We will come in a few days prior as well--meeting some old Silversea friends and all staying at the Lapa Palace.

Looking forward to seeing you again on-board. Our Thanksgiving cruise on the Shadow seems like a year ago already doesn't it?

Hi all

I'm coming into Lisbon on 21 October. I haven't decided yet where to stay but Lapa Palace is not in my price range:mad: Has anyone else chosen a hotel in Lisbon?

I'm doing B2B so won't be getting off the Spirit until 13 November. I'm staying in Barbados for 4 nights before getting on the Cloud. Sandy Lane isn't in my price range either:mad:

Hey, it's 9 months until we board....yahoo!:D:D

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Jennifer I've just returned from the Spirit (crossing) and stayed pre-cruise, along with several other CC posters, at the Marriott. Affordable, recently updated, attractive, wonderful rooms, great breakfast, convenient to port.

Booked on-line -- you can check it out with photos.

Will stay there again -

It is not in the heart of the action -- downtown -- but an easy quick trip down there.

Enjoy the trip.

Dusababy

from California

Hi all

I'm coming into Lisbon on 21 October. I haven't decided yet where to stay but Lapa Palace is not in my price range:mad: Has anyone else chosen a hotel in Lisbon?

I'm doing B2B so won't be getting off the Spirit until 13 November. I'm staying in Barbados for 4 nights before getting on the Cloud. Sandy Lane isn't in my price range either:mad:

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

I'm considering Zuzabed B & B in Lisbon. I speak French, a bit of Italian and a bit less Portuguese, so I'm willing to give it a try. I found it on tripadvisor.com.

Hi all

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

We are booked at the Marriott for a two night precruise.

Marriott sounds good for us as well, believe the first group all met at the Bar in the Marriott for a party and had a ball, lets think about that one for the night of the 22nd. Haven't been able to confirm any reservations yet until we get conf from Silversea on our arrival date. Have requested to arrive in Lisbon on the 20th My Travel Agent said there would be a $100.00 deviation fee. OK by us. This way we get a couple of days to see a little of Portugal, want to do a wine tour. See all you guys there.

"Mitch" and Sheila:);)

Marriott sounds good for us as well, believe the first group all met at the Bar in the Marriott for a party and had a ball, lets think about that one for the night of the 22nd. Haven't been able to confirm any reservations yet until we get conf from Silversea on our arrival date. Have requested to arrive in Lisbon on the 20th My Travel Agent said there would be a $100.00 deviation fee. OK by us. This way we get a couple of days to see a little of Portugal, want to do a wine tour. See all you guys there.

"Mitch" and Sheila:);)

Looks like we'll be on US Air via Philadelphia to Lisbon then Barbados to Charlotte to BWI on the way home.

Would kind of like to stay somewhere more "Portuguese", but may end up in the Marriott.

Have just started to think about flight and hotel arrangements for this cruise. [Have made all of my arrangements for my 15 day cruise on Shadow in April.] I will certainly give the Marriot a look-see since so many CC'ers are going to stay there. Although the TAP nonstop flight from EWR arrives at like 6:00 a.m. in LIS.

Have decided to break up my flight into two segments, one from Reno, NV to Newark Liberty, stay overnight, and then take a non-stop flight from EWR to LIS on either Continental or TAP. Actually prefer TAP because they have lie flat seats in business class. The reason for the stay over is I don't want to get too tired, and it will allow me to recharge batteries for my portable oxygen concentrator.

Now to my airline questions. I have 255,000 unused miles on United which I would like to use for both of my flight segments. Checked their website and when you try to book one-way with miles it does not work! Talked to my TA and she could not help me, because she is specifically a luxury cruise consultant - and a very good one when it comes to negotiating solo supplements.

Both Continental and TAP are members of United's Star Alliance. I know nothing about TAP at all, and if any of you have any information I would love to hear it. Hate to fly on United these days because its first class has gone completely downhill - however, would like to use my miles.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can approach booking with United? On their web site I can book - but I have to complete the booking and then take my chances on upgrading from economy to first or international business. For this trip, I do not want to throw the dice. So if any of you have any ideas, would love to hear them.

Incidentally am glad that Jennifer started this thread. On my November cruise on Shadow we had a large group of CC'ers and had a great time. It is a part of cruising which I enjoy.

Have decided to break up my flight into two segments, one from Reno, NV to Newark Liberty, stay overnight, and then take a non-stop flight from EWR to LIS on either Continental or TAP. Actually prefer TAP because they have lie flat seats in business class. The reason for the stay over is I don't want to get too tired, and it will allow me to recharge batteries for my portable oxygen concentrator.

Now to my airline questions. I have 255,000 unused miles on United which I would like to use for both of my flight segments. Checked their website and when you try to book one-way with miles it does not work!

Both Continental and TAP are members of United's Star Alliance. I know nothing about TAP at all, and if any of you have any information I would love to hear it. Hate to fly on United these days because its first class has gone completely downhill - however, would like to use my miles.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can approach booking with United? On their web site I can book - but I have to complete the booking and then take my chances on upgrading from economy to first or international business. For this trip, I do not want to throw the dice. So if any of you have any ideas, would love to hear them.

Charlie - are you trying to pay for coach tickets and then use miles only to upgrade, or are you willing to use miles for the whole thing? You can call United and they can help you (if available) book using miles for business class on partner airlines and also do the "open jaw" (non round trip itinerary) If you want to buy the coach tickets and try to upgrade, then I agree it is quite a gamble and you won't know until October.

As an aside, for trips like this, I much prefer the American website to United's. AA will let you book one way trips using miles with half the normal RT miles. We did this for our April TA on Silver Spirit. (one way Chicago - NY and one way London - Chicago)

Jennifer I've just returned from the Spirit (crossing) and stayed pre-cruise, along with several other CC posters, at the Marriott. Affordable, recently updated, attractive, wonderful rooms, great breakfast, convenient to port. Booked on-line -- you can check it out with photos. Will stay there again - It is not in the heart of the action -- downtown -- but an easy quick trip down there. Enjoy the trip. Dusababy from California

Thankx for this info Dusababy. I will look at the Marriott. I did see a nice boutique style hotel on Trip Advisor called The Britania however if everyone is staying at the Marriott, it might be fun to have a pre-cruise party there like the maiden TA CCers did in January.

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Incidentally am glad that Jennifer started this thread. On my November cruise on Shadow we had a large group of CC'ers and had a great time. It is a part of cruising which I enjoy.

I'm glad I did too Charlie:D:D:D, this is going to be a lot of fun especially if we all get together pre-cruise.

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Hi Emtbsam

Thankx for posting here.

I'm keeping track of everyone so for all the lurkers who might be taking this cruise, pls post and let us know that u r coming with us:D

Cheers

ging466 (Jennifer)

OK Jennifer, I am a lurker but here I am. We live in Barbados so if anyone wants any inside info on the destination Port, happy to help. This is our first Silver Sea trip previously sailed with Windstar and Seabourn, but very much looking forward to thia trip.

Andy

Got confirmation today from Silversea on my deviation to Lisbon, arrive on the 20th, booked into the Marriott for 3 nights. Hope to see everyone there, when the time nears, we can plan on a cc get-to-gether, should be fun and a good way to meet everyone before we board the Spirit:);)

Mitch (and for other crossing folks)..here is my review of tour guide, Jorge Bras (private tourguide we used for a full day tour in Lisbon on 2 Jan) that I posted in the CC port section:

Strongest recommendation for Jorge Bras..he provided us with a full day Lisbon private tour (just my wife and I) on 2 Jan. Jorge spent eight hours to our delight showing us: Lisbon, Sintra, Cascais, Estoril and the Lisbon coast. Jorge is be far, the most exceptional tour guidewe have ever encounterd (land or sea). Jorge is a historian and his gentle discourse during the tour reflects an unending love/passion for his country/Lisboa. As a veteran, I was pleased to learn Jorge is also a military veteran (Portugese Special Forces) who made a night combat jump into the Falklands. He is very humble and only shared this with my wife and I because we are both veterans. If interested, you may contact Jorge at jmvbtours@gmail.com

OK Jennifer, I am a lurker but here I am. We live in Barbados so if anyone wants any inside info on the destination Port, happy to help. This is our first Silver Sea trip previously sailed with Windstar and Seabourn, but very much looking forward to thia trip.

Andy

Welcome to our roll call. As u can see from lurking:), we have quite a few CCers meeting in Lisbon for the Transatlantic. Glad u r coming along too!

Would you mind emailing me (gingiepoo@hotmail.com) so that I can ask u some questions re Bridgetown?

Thankx

Jennifer (ging466)

ging466: Jennifer, 610

cechase: Charlie, 508

Emtbsam: Bob & Victoria, 927

Prince: x2

MaryB1: Mary & Ken

DTM: Dan & wife

Riobound: Barbara & Don & Carolyn & Ron (4)

largo162: John & Marlene

jgibbs: x2

topigo: Tibor & Peter

palamoh: Mitch & Sheila, 412

Sailmaker: Andy & Val, 833

Anyone else going to join us??

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Wes, don't know if you'll pick up on this late posting, but we booked Jorge for 2 days prior to our Silver Spirit trip in Oct one day Libon and surrounding area and one day Wine country tour. Thanks for your help, as I was looking for a one on one type of tour. I have always found them to be the best. I know if you and your Bride like it I will as well.

Mitch:);)

Jennifer, I looked at the Britania on Trip Advisor and it seemed like a really nice hotel, with lots of positive recommendations. However, it seems that the Marriot is going to be the place where most of our CC'ers are staying so will give that first consideration, although it is probably too early to book.

Am getting really excited about this cruise, because like my cruise last November on Shadow we had a large group of CC'ers and that just added so much to the experience. Of course, have to take my Shadow Panama Canal cruise first before I start making arrangements for October.

Will root for the Australian bobsled team!

Mitch, believe Sheila u will absolutely love Jorge..we enjoyed the one-on-one tour

so much we have booked the same type of private tour for Barcelona this November prior

to our next TA..

Charlie..the Marriott is a good pre cruise hotel...as u get within 3-6 months out, watch

for the Marriott 70Euro (with breakfst) nightly special (tho non refundable)

Jennifer, I looked at the Britania on Trip Advisor and it seemed like a really nice hotel, with lots of positive recommendations. However, it seems that the Marriot is going to be the place where most of our CC'ers are staying so will give that first consideration, although it is probably too early to book. Am getting really excited about this cruise, because like my cruise last November on Shadow we had a large group of CC'ers and that just added so much to the experience. Of course, have to take my Shadow Panama Canal cruise first before I start making arrangements for October. Will root for the Australian bobsled team!

Hi Charlie

Yes it's a bit early yet to book the hotel but my first choice is the Britania and second choice Marriott. If I stay at the Britania and we have a precruise get together, I can always get a taxi. I feel that I can do a Marriott anywhere and would prefer something more with a Lisbon flavour to it.

Do we actually have a bobsled team? Sounds as silly as the Jamaican bobsled team.:D:D:D

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Charlie..the Marriott is a good pre cruise hotel...as u get within 3-6 months out, watch for the Marriott 70Euro (with breakfst) nightly special (tho non refundable)

That sounds like an excellent bargain ColonelWes...will watch out for it.

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Mitch, as your good friend, I guess that I can vouch for Wes's recommendations, since he is also a good friend (though He is not quite as steady at sea as us Navy guys). And he became a friend at the Marriott, Lisbon! And credit, again, to wonderful Mary Ann (Dusababy) for recommending the Marriott to us one year ago! The Marriott CC meeting was a large factor in making the maiden crossing of the Spirit the magical experience that it was!

Dieter

Archived