Roll Call: Silver Spirit, Lisbon-Bridgetown, 23 October 2010

ging466

Just booked a single room at the Avenida Palace - which seems to be a very interesting place and good location.

What is a single room - a coat closet?

Hi Charlie

A single room in Europe/UK normally is a box:D

I'm really hoping the ambience of the hotel makes up for the size of the room.

At least I can say I stayed in the hotel that was frequented by all the spies during the Cold War:)

We've got 14 weeks and counting!

Cheers

Jennifer

I think we're going to stay at the Sofitel in Lisbon which is just a short walk away from the Avenida Palace. Although it won't have the ambiance of the AP, it will have large rooms.

We will pay for the cruise next week and then it will all get a whole lot more real!

Marcie, I checked and all of the rooms have their own bathroom, even the so called single rooms. Of course, I was a little surprised to see the knotted length of rope by the window - with a sign - "Fire Escape" in English and Portuguese.

Have finished up all of the little details, including making my hotel reservations at Newark's Liberty International Airport, going and coming, as well as arranging a transfer from JFK to EWR on November 6th. The cost of those hotel reservations is really strange. Am staying at the Marriott which is inside of the airport. Going is costing me over twice for what I am paying when I return. Perhaps it is that November 6th. is a Saturday. Really strange.

Tangier: Tangier & Cap Spartel

Casablanca: Magical, Mystical Marrakech

Arrecife: Fire Mountains & Dromedaries

Tenerife: Orotava Valley & Puerto de la Cruz

St John's: Silver Shore Expedition - Kayak & Snorkel Eco Adventure

Castries: Heli-Flightseeing over South Island

Has anyone booked their excursions yet? Interested to hear what u are all doing.

Cheers

Jennifer

Has anyone booked their excursions yet? Interested to hear what u are all doing.

Cheers

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer - looks like we will join you on the tour in Tangier and Arrecife, otherwise we are still trying to decide. See you soon.

Mary

Hi Jennifer -

We have booked the same tours in Casablanca, Tangiers, and the Canary Islands but will wait to book tours in St. John and St. Lucia since we've been there several times before.

Also, we did book at the Sofitel in Lisbon. It's probably not far from your hotel, so we could all go to the Marriott for the cocktail party together if you want.

Regards,

Victoria

Hi Jennifer - looks like we will join you on the tour in Tangier and Arrecife, otherwise we are still trying to decide. See you soon. Mary

Hi Mary

Yes we don't have too long to go now. Really looking forward to it.

Cheers

Jennifer

Also, we did book at the Sofitel in Lisbon. It's probably not far from your hotel, so we could all go to the Marriott for the cocktail party together if you want. Regards, Victoria

Hi Victoria

Sounds like a good idea:) Charlie is also staying at the Avenida Palace. I will look up the map to see where the 2 hotels are.

Cheers

Jennifer

Victoria and Jennifer: sounds like a good plan. Jennifer, I do not think that our hotel serves dinner, so perhaps we should plan on eating somewhere after the get together at the Marriott.

Have started to look at the excursions, with an eye towards us older folks who no longer sprint around town. I booked the following:

Tangier & Cap Spartel

Casablanca & the Grand Mosque

Discover Northern Lanzarote

I checked my voyage, and there does not appear to be anyway on the internet to reserve Le Champagne or the other speciality restaurants - which means getting there first on Oct. 23rd. I do know that the butlers can make those reservations, but I think most people will rush aboard and make their reservations. Perhaps we might like to figure out which night, and who will join us. It is rather silly to take my fourth cruise on Silversea [three within the past year] and never eat at Le Champagne.

Charlie, you can't book restaurants ahead of time, but you can save some $$$ by sending yourself a "gift" for Le Champagne. Just go into the "Bon Voyage" category. I can't remember what the exact amount is, but it is less than the 250 pp. This "hint" is from Col. Wes. Enjoy!:)

Hi Everyone

Looks like we are all doing the same tour in Tangier - it will be fun.

Charlie, I just checked the website & our hotel serves light meals in the bar & lounge area. Let's see who turns up at the Marriott and we could perhaps party on:)

Victoria, I had a look at the Lisbon map and we are a little further south but not far at all. I'm arriving late on the Tuesday night.

I'd like to do Le Champagne (I'm not a wine drinker though) and the Hot Rocks pool grill, not sure about Seishin yet.

Cheers
Jennifer

Jennifer - We arrive early Tuesday morning.

If you are thinking of doing the full degustation in Le Champagne, go on the SS website and give yourself a gift of $150 dinner in Le Champagne rather than paying the full $200 which is what it costs on board. The other option is to just pay the $30 and buy a bottle of wine - probably the better deal unless you want to taste a bunch of different wines. I've heard really good things about Hot Rocks especially from Wellseasoned.

Not too much longer now.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread sort of got shoved off to the second page here, so I thought I would remind everyone that we have a pretty large group of CC'ers for this Silversea voyage.

It will be a full ship [and because it will be during school time - few children]. My itinerary has become so complicated that I am having to prepare a chart so I will know which airline, where, and when, as well the same as hotels in Newark New Jersey [going and coming] and in Lisbon.

Couple of questions. I have crossed the Pacific several times on ship courtesy of the United States Navy, but have never crossed the Atlantic before. Will it be cold on the crossing or shorts weather? [Just bought a couple of new pairs of shorts without thinking about this issue.] Am wondering how many Euros I should get, since I will need them in both Portugal and the Canary Islands [Spain]? Any ideas - basically for tips, cabs, etc.
Finally, am interested in knowing how many formal and informal nights there will be. On my last Shadow cruise of 15 days, we only had three formal nights and five or six informal nights. Anyone know, or do we have to wait until we receive our cruise docs?

Anyway, am getting jacked up about this cruise, and meeting all of you, at the Marriot on Saturday night, and of course on Spirit.

[quote name='cechase']Will it be cold on the crossing or shorts weather?[/QUOTE]At this time of year and this far south, warm, sunny weather is likely but not guaranteed: a wet, windy day or two is possible.[quote name='cechase']Am wondering how many Euros I should get, since I will need them in both Portugal and the Canary Islands [Spain]? Any ideas - basically for tips, cabs, etc.[/QUOTE]It depends whether you plan to be independent, e.g. doing your own transfers in Lisbon, doing independent trips elsewhere. If not, you don't need much. You're in a low-tipping area, but cabs mostly won't accept anything but Euros, so cabs may be your major expense, if you use them at all. Unfortunately, cab fares are a "how long is a piece of string?" type of question, and in Spain they can be expensive.

My Cruise Critic handle is a pun on C-Leg, my recently acquired, by way of an accident, high tech prosthetic leg. I'm a little leery of this cruise, even though we've ordered a handicapped accessible suite. Has anyone taken the Fez or Marrakesh tour before? How challenging are they?

From our last Atlantic crossing on board the Star Princess out of Vencie the weather required clothing for rain & wind (we took light waterproof wind breaker jackets), cool temps (we took heavy and light sweaters, long pants) and warm weather (shorts and light tops)

At best its a crap shoot and we are planning for all three types of weather on this one

We were lucky on our Atlantic crossing. We missed any big storms but did encounter 20-25 ft swales= we will be bringing along Dramamine which worked well for us the last time

DEAN

[quote name='SeaLeg2010']My Cruise Critic handle is a pun on C-Leg, my recently acquired, by way of an accident, high tech prosthetic leg. I'm a little leery of this cruise, even though we've ordered a handicapped accessible suite. Has anyone taken the Fez or Marrakesh tour before? How challenging are they?[/quote]

Hi SeaLeg2010

Welcome to our roll call. We are having a get together in Lisbon on Friday 22 October, 7pm at the Marriott Hotel Lisbon. U are welcome to come along.

I am also going to organise a CC morning tea on Sunday 24 October - our first morning at sea. If you would like an invitation, please email your details to [EMAIL="gingiepoo@hotmail.com"]gingiepoo@hotmail.com[/EMAIL]

Look forward to meeting u.

Cheers
Jennifer

Jeniffer

We are putting the final touches together on our excursions this week (Has been a challenge arranging private tours with local guides. Will do a more detail post on this matter later if anyone wants to join us)

We are booked at the Marriot Lisbon and will be arriving on BA Lisbon 5:35 PM, Oct 22. Save us a chair at Marriott Bar, please

Will also be joining the Meet & Greet Sunday Oct 24. Our cabin number is 624

Thank you for doing all the work to set up these two events. We have done it before on other cruises and know how much work is involved

[quote name='DGF']Thank you for doing all the work to set up these two events. We have done it before on other cruises and know how much work is involved[/quote]

Thankx DGF - the Marriott was easy, just tell everyone to turn up on Friday night at 7pm:)

I haven't organised the meet & greet yet, I guess I'd better get onto it soon:D

Cheers
Jennifer

[quote name='SeaLeg2010']My Cruise Critic handle is a pun on C-Leg, my recently acquired, by way of an accident, high tech prosthetic leg. I'm a little leery of this cruise, even though we've ordered a handicapped accessible suite. Has anyone taken the Fez or Marrakesh tour before? How challenging are they?[/QUOTE]
Welcome to Cruise Critic. We've heard a lot about you and SeaAyre from Wellseasoned and are glad we will have the opportunity to meet you in Lisbon.

[quote name='cechase']Jennifer [ging466] have completed my 2010 travel plans on Silversea and have included the cruises in my signature.

Once I have completed those cruises, will have been on all of the continents except for Australia and Antarctica. So guess where I want to go in 2011? And I don't have to take cold weather gear.[/quote]

We have been on all the continents & all the oceans. What a ride!!

[COLOR=navy]Hello everyone[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]We are now in a position to share our research on Private Tours and car rentals. Our sources for these decisions are Cruise Critic threads and Trip Advisor. The reason why we always elect private tours is that it allows us to stop and take pictures on demand, allows us to meet the local folks and frequent "local stops" which the locals use[/COLOR]

[B][U][COLOR=navy]Tangier[/COLOR][/U][/B]

[COLOR=navy]We have booked a private guide (Aziz Saint Laurent) with taxi at €35 per person from noon to 6:00 PM with tour as follows:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]1. Meet us at the Cruise Port scheduled to arrive at noon in Tangier on Sunday October 24, 2010[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]2. Tour covers the following: [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]Tour By Taxi[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]- Lighthouse at Cap Sparte[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]- Hercules Caves[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Tour of Tangier (Mainly on foot)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]- Medina/ Kasbah[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]- Beach promenade[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]- Grand Socco (old main square)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]- Place el Oumame (new square)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]And any other areas he believes we should visit (is the American Legation Museum worth while?)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]We will have to return to the ship around 6:00 PM but no later than 6:30 PM (Ship departure) [/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]We will have lunch on board the ship before meeting you; but perhaps you can find a local place (frequented by locals not tourists) where we can stop off for a Moroccan drink for the driver, yourself and ourselves which will be our expense, while touring.[/COLOR]

[I][COLOR=navy]The guide is also available with a larger car/ van if anyone should like to join us. Please advise. [/COLOR][EMAIL="deangayle@rogers.com"][COLOR=navy]deangayle@rogers.com[/COLOR][/EMAIL][/I]

[B][U][COLOR=navy]Casablanca[/COLOR][/U][/B]

[COLOR=navy]This one is not yet firmed up, with Aziz determining if his friend would be available at €40 per person. Requested tour covers the following:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]“Yes, please contact your friend[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Since the main tour spots are Fes and Marrakesh, both of which involve 6-8 hrs in a car, we have decided to do on our next trip when we can stay a longer period of time[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Accordingly we are interested, in a half day tour, with pick up at the cruise port at 9:00 AM, Monday October 25 and return around 2:00 PM, visiting at least the following:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]1. Hassan II Mosque[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]2. Walk and drive the long beachfront promenade at Aïn Diab[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]3. New Medina (Habous Quarter)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4. Drive through Residential District of Anfa[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]5. Mohammed V Square[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]6. Old Medina (?)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]7. And any other areas of the city your friend would recommend”[/COLOR]

[B][U][COLOR=navy]Lanzarote- Arrecife[/COLOR][/U][/B]

[COLOR=navy]We have received the following offer from John but will need some of you to join us to accept [/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy][B]From:[/B] david sperring [mailto:johnsperring@hotmail.co.uk] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy][B]Sent:[/B] Wednesday, August 11, 2010 5:31 AM[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy][B]To:[/B] [/COLOR][EMAIL="deangayle@rogers.com"][COLOR=navy]deangayle@rogers.com[/COLOR][/EMAIL]
[COLOR=navy][B]Subject:[/B] Tour Guide Lanzarote[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Hi Dean & Gayle,[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]My name is John, Tommy passed your request on to me as he will not be in Lanzarote on the day that you are here. I have lived in Lanzarote for 17 years and worked as a guide for 12 years. I would suggest the rout you take, Leave the port and proceed to Teguise the old Capital were you may wish to visit the Castel of Santa Barbara and the Church of San Miguel, Proceed to Famara well known for its surfing and the longest beach in Lanzarote, Passing on through the vilage of Soo and on to La Santa the Inter National sports center, Carrying on to the National Park of Timanfaya, After visiting the National Park we shall go to the Volcanic coast line and visit El Golfo the Green Lagoon And Los Hervideros, and the salt pans of Janubio, Carrying on through the Village of Yaiza, Uga, and through the Vineyards of La Geria. From here what you do will depend upon the time we have left. of course if you have places that you wish to visit the route can be altered to suite your needs, stops for refreshments can be taken at any time, the same as photo opertunities.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]The cost of the trip is E 50 each[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]Entrance to the Castle E 3 And National Park E 8 pp[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]I look forward to hearing from you,[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]All the best, John Sperring[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy][B]From:[/B] david sperring [mailto:johnsperring@hotmail.co.uk] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy][B]Sent:[/B] Monday, August 16, 2010 11:24 AM[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy][B]To:[/B] [/COLOR][EMAIL="deangayle@rogers.com"][COLOR=navy]deangayle@rogers.com[/COLOR][/EMAIL]
[COLOR=navy][B]Subject:[/B] RE: Tour Guide Lanzarote[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Thanks for your e,mail. The only place that i have to pay to enter is Timanfaya park and i will take care of that, so thats no problem[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]As for the price per person well here goes.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]2-3 people E50[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]4-6 people E43[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]6-8 people E35[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]I hope that you will find this information usefull, and i look forward to hearing from you[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]All the best John[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]As a back up, in case no one wishes to join us on a tour, we have booked a car rental for both Canary Island stops:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy][B]From:[/B] Carolina [Cicar] [mailto:info@cicar.com] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy][B]Sent:[/B] Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:01 AM[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy][B]To:[/B] Dean Feltham[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy][B]Subject:[/B] Re: Car rental- Canary Islands- Lanzarote & Tenerife; follow up[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Good morning,[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]The bookings numbers are 6570539 and 657540.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Our office is situated in the harbour, you go there to take the car.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]In Arrecife is situated in main building, and in Santa Cruz in Fred Olsen terminal.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]The car has got air conditioned.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]We have maps in our office.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy][B]From:[/B] Dean Feltham [mailto:d.g.f.thornhill@rogers.com] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy][B]Sent:[/B] Monday, August 16, 2010 2:48 PM[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy][B]To:[/B] 'Guayarmina [Cicar]'[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy][B]Cc:[/B] 'Gayle Feltham (gdfeltham@rogers.com)'[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy][B]Subject:[/B] RE: Car rental- Canary Islands- Lanzarote & Tenerife[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy][B]Importance:[/B] High[/COLOR]

[B][COLOR=navy]Estefanía/ Guayarmina[/COLOR][/B]

[COLOR=navy]Please bookOpel Astra 5 doors for the following dates and locations at the quoted rate of €45.50/ day, all inclusive as listed in your e-mails. We are arriving onboard the Silversea Spirit ship:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy][B]1.[/B]Lanzarotte (Arrecife)- Wednesday, October 27, 2010, will pick up at your harbor port office at 9:00 AM and return around 5:00 PM.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy][B]2.[/B]Tenerife (Santa Cruz)- will pick up the car at your harbor port office at 9:00 AM and return around 6:00 PM. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Driver Information- Dean and Gayle Feltham, have driven for over 20 years, have Ontario Canada Driver’s license. Will these driver’s license be adequate or do we also need an International driver’s license?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Office location for pick up and return- Please advise as to car rental office address and whether is within walking distance of the Cruise Port. Please also provide us with directions to each office[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Payment- by credit card[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Road Maps- will need good road maps to tour the island, cities and towns for the day[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Car question- do the cars have air conditioning?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Please confirm reservations[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Thank you[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Dean & Gayle Feltham[/COLOR]

[U][COLOR=navy]St. John’s, Antigua[/COLOR][/U]

[COLOR=navy]We are just starting making contacts with private guides. It has been since 2000 when we were last there. Will keep you posted[/COLOR]

[U][COLOR=navy]Castries, St. Lucia[/COLOR][/U]

[COLOR=navy]Since we were here in 2007 and covered the island extensively with a private guide we are not going to make any plans[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Our Tour in 2007, which was excellent for a party of six:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Guide/ driver was Bompy[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Yes i will be available. The tour fee is US$50 per person. Its 5 to 6 hours, You only pay in cash at the end of the tour. We will be visiting the tourielle waterfall, volcano, botanical garden, marigot bay, fishing villages, banana plantation, shopping, beach and snorkling at the Hillton Jalousie hotel that between the Pitons and many more things on the way. I will be paying all the entrance fees. There will be lots to see, lots to do, lots to sample of our local taste on the way, and I will have a cooler with drinks like water, rum punch, local beers and soda. We will be leaving at 8:30am You have to be at the gate for 8:20am.You walk in the building turn right until you meet the gate next to the security booth and i will have a sign say (COSOL). ask to show you the way to the security booth which is next to the taxi stand. Bring along your camera, swimsuit and snorkling gears. If you have any more queries call me on [B]my cell (758) 7196697[/B] or visit my website at [/COLOR][URL="http://www.cosol-tours.com/"][COLOR=navy]cosol-tours.com.[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=navy] Thanks for emailing me. Looking forward to your reply.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]Hope the above helps in your own personal planning. Sorry for the big gaps and type face problems. I wish the owners of this web site would up date their software[/COLOR]

Archived