Roll Call: Silver Spirit, Lisbon-Bridgetown, 23 October 2010

ging466

For those still considering their options in Antigua, following resources were recommended in Cruise Critic threads and Trip Advisor:

[B][URL="http://www.adventureantigua.com/"][COLOR=blue]http://www.adventureantigua.com/[/COLOR][/URL][/B][B][COLOR=blue](water based)[/COLOR][/B]
[B][URL="http://www.lawrenceofantigua.com/"][COLOR=blue]http://www.lawrenceofantigua.com/[/COLOR][/URL][/B]
[B][URL="http://www.segwayantigua.com/"][COLOR=blue]Sagway Tours[/COLOR][/URL][/B][B][COLOR=blue](uses a vehicle called a sagway)[/COLOR][/B]
[B][URL="http://www.tourguidegordon.com/index.htm"][COLOR=blue]Gordon Tours[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

We are awaiting for advice from Lawrence and Gordon but since we have already been to Nelson Naval Yards expect we will keep our car rental with Hertz who has a location at the Cruise Dock. Good rates $46 for intermediate; but if Frommer's is correct I will be making a donation to the Antigua Gov of $12 for an Antiquan Driver's license (Expect same procedure as in Cook Islands where we kept the driver's license as a souvenir). Main attractions, other than Nelson Naval Yards are the islands 365 beaches. Great web site with photos of many of the beach options, maps, and a ton of other information is [url]www.antiguanice.com[/url] Go to header Things To Do

Look forward to meeting you all

DEAN

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Hello everyone[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Just got a reply for Gordon. Cost of $40 per person per hour for 4 adults for a seven hour tour ($140/ couple for the day) covering the following:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Travelling west from St. Johns to quickly view the [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]beaches at Deep Bay and Galley Bay; and then cover the island [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]clockwise visiting the villages where Gordon believes worthwhile [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]and having quick visits to Dickensen Bay, LongBay and adjacent Devil's [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]bridge, Betty's Hope, Harmony Hall, Half Moon Bay, Shirley Heights for [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]the view, Fig Tree Drive, and end the day by taking a walk on Darkwood [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Beach or some other beach you might recommend. Would of course take a break along the way for lunch where the locals eat[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Anyone interested? If no takers, we will be sticking with the car rental and do on our own[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Thanks[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]DEAN[/SIZE][/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
Hello fellow CC's. I just discovered this thread. I booked last month for the 23 October Lisbon - Barbados transatlantic and the follow-on 7 night Barbados - Barbados. I will e-mail my details to Jennifer who seems to be group leader [I]extraordinaire[/I]! I will be travelling solo (for the first time in 20 years!) from Lisbon - Barbados, but am being joined by a friend for the second leg. I can't join the rest of you guys for the pre-cruise get-together as I'm flying out from London on sailing day, but I see that Jennifer is planning a get-together on the first morning at sea. I hope you all have stress-free journeys to Lisbon (whatever happened to the ash cloud?:rolleyes:)

[quote name='philipb']Hello fellow CC's. I just discovered this thread. I booked last month for the 23 October Lisbon - Barbados transatlantic and the follow-on 7 night Barbados - Barbados. I will e-mail my details to Jennifer who seems to be group leader [I]extraordinaire[/I]! I will be travelling solo (for the first time in 20 years!) from Lisbon - Barbados, but am being joined by a friend for the second leg. I can't join the rest of you guys for the pre-cruise get-together as I'm flying out from London on sailing day, but I see that Jennifer is planning a get-together on the first morning at sea. I hope you all have stress-free journeys to Lisbon (whatever happened to the ash cloud?:rolleyes:)[/quote]

Hi philipb
Welcome to our roll call. Glad to hear u r onboard for the full 21 days. I'm also doing 21 days and so is irishteddybear. I'm a solo traveller as well.

Send through your details and I'll add u to my list.:)

Pls don't mention the ash cloud:eek:

Cheers
Jennifer

[quote name='Emtbsam']Jennifer - Some time closer to our departure date, could you please post a list of the names that you have so far for our group? We are really getting excited about the trip which is not all that far off. Cheers[/quote]

Will do. I've already organised the function and I need to update SS with a new list of attendees.

I've been advised that we can't have the Panorama Lounge all to ourselves because it's a sea morning but I never expected that anyway.

SS will do a morning tea service for us so I hope that u all will be happy with this.

Cheers
Jennifer

P.S. I still have a few people who told us they were coming but haven't sent their details through to me yet. If u still want to join us, pls let me know.

[quote name='ging466']Hi philipb
Welcome to our roll call. Glad to hear u r onboard for the full 21 days. I'm also doing 21 days and so is irishteddybear. I'm a solo traveller as well.

Send through your details and I'll add u to my list.:)

Pls don't mention the ash cloud:eek:

Cheers
Jennifer[/quote]

Sounds like a great cruise coming up. I trust you will be writing a review.

[quote name='Emtbsam']Loved your review of the Dream/Nightmare cruise. Hope ours in January will be less eventful![/quote]

Thanks. I can't imagine any cruise being as eventful as the one we took.:D

Forgive me for crashing your roll call, but I sailed with Jennifer before and enjoy reading her reviews.

[quote name='SailorJack']Thanks. I can't imagine any cruise being as eventful as the one we took.:D Forgive me for crashing your roll call, but I sailed with Jennifer before and enjoy reading her reviews.[/quote]

Hi SailorJack

Hope u and SailorJill are both well. Yeah I reckon nothing could be as eventful as our Dream/Nightmare...that was really special in more ways than one;)

Yes, I will definitely be writing a review. I'm sure it will be a great cruise.

Cheers
Jennifer xx

[quote name='SailorJack']Thanks. I can't imagine any cruise being as eventful as the one we took.:D

Forgive me for crashing your roll call, but I sailed with Jennifer before and enjoy reading her reviews.[/QUOTE]

I was intrigued about comments concerning your review. So did a little search and found it. Thank you so much for writing such an unusual, but incredibly funny review. I am surprised that the Captain was not relieved right away, and command turned over to the Staff Officer.

I just spent HOURS reading this Roll Call. I'm Susan and my DH Michael and I are so excited about this cruise! It's our first Trans Atlantic, and our first Silversea cruise.

We are flying in to Lisbon on the 21st and are staying at the Sofitel. We're going to to try to do a winery tour, guess I should start working on that! Have already booked dinners for Thursday and Friday night. Trying to assimilate into the culture, made reservations for 9:30 on Friday, so hope to get to the Marriott for cocktails before to meet everyone. Unless I'm napping. (It's not easy being beautiful.....) :)

In Barbados we are booked at a Hotel called The House. Maybe Andy can tell me if it's a good choice!

We are in Cabin 918, hope I can get up early for that morning Meet and Greet! Thank you everyone for such wonderful information. Can't wait!

[quote name='sistahyaya']I just spent HOURS reading this Roll Call. I'm Susan and my DH Michael and I are so excited about this cruise! It's our first Trans Atlantic, and our first Silversea cruise.[/quote]

Hi Susan & Michael

Welcome to our roll call. Hope u can make our Friday night get-together at the Marriott. Pls email your surname to me ([EMAIL="gingiepoo@hotmail.com"]gingiepoo@hotmail.com[/EMAIL]) and I'll add u both to my list.

U will love Silversea. It is my second SS and first (and last) Transatlantic:)

See u soon.

Cheers
Jennifer

Hi Dean

I see your message has been out there for a time but I have just read it - and how useful it was! In particular it has given Elaine and I the idea of hiring a car in both Tenerife and Lanzarote. If you find yourself in a queue (yes, we are from England!) behind us then I will surely invite you to go ahead of us!

We are going to do a ship's tour in a few locations but have still to decide on what to do in Casablanca. I don't think it will be hiring a car, though.

Thanks again - and perhaps we'll meet in a around a month!

Adrian

[quote name='sistahyaya']I just spent HOURS reading this Roll Call. I'm Susan and my DH Michael and I are so excited about this cruise! It's our first Trans Atlantic, and our first Silversea cruise.

We are flying in to Lisbon on the 21st and are staying at the Sofitel. We're going to to try to do a winery tour, guess I should start working on that! Have already booked dinners for Thursday and Friday night. Trying to assimilate into the culture, made reservations for 9:30 on Friday, so hope to get to the Marriott for cocktails before to meet everyone. Unless I'm napping. (It's not easy being beautiful.....) :)

In Barbados we are booked at a Hotel called The House. Maybe Andy can tell me if it's a good choice!

We are in Cabin 918, hope I can get up early for that morning Meet and Greet! Thank you everyone for such wonderful information. Can't wait![/QUOTE]

Hi Susan & Michael. We (Bob and Victoria) are also staying at the Sofitel. We'll be arriving on the 20th, so will put the welcome mat out for you. We are also on Deck 9 on the Spirit.

We have not made any restaurant reservations and were wondering which ones you chose.

Looking forward to meeting everyone at the Marriott!

[quote name='Noggins']Hi Dean

I see your message has been out there for a time but I have just read it - and how useful it was! In particular it has given Elaine and I the idea of hiring a car in both Tenerife and Lanzarote. If you find yourself in a queue (yes, we are from England!) behind us then I will surely invite you to go ahead of us!

We are going to do a ship's tour in a few locations but have still to decide on what to do in Casablanca. I don't think it will be hiring a car, though.

Thanks again - and perhaps we'll meet in a around a month!

Adrian[/quote]

[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]MORROCO[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Our status on the two ports are:[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[B][U][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Tangier[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/U][/B]

[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]- Tour By Car[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]· [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Lighthouse at Cap Spartel[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]· [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Hercules Caves[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]- Tour of Tangier (Mainly on foot)[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]· [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Tangier[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]· [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Medina/ Kasbah[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]· [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Beach promenade[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]· [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Grand Socco (old main square)- is best point of departure for a walking tour.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]· [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Place el Oumame (new square)[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]· [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]American Legation Museum (?)[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman]- Have booked Mr. Aziz Saint Laurent €35 per person including taxi and we will pay him in cash. If anyone would like to join us, will have to advise the guide as we will need a larger vehicle[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[B][U][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Casablanca[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/U][/B]

[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]- this one is still up in the air. His recent e-mail quoted €60 per person but have asked for clarification is this €40 for the day tour (as Aziz advised his rate was) and €20 for the night tour. If we can arrange, plans are:[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Mourning Tour, starting at 9:00 AM, returning to ship around 2:00 PM for lunch[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]· [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Hassan II Mosque- this is the only rated tour stop in Frommer's[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]· [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Central Market[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]· [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Mahakma Court of Islamic Law[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]· [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]New Medina (Habous)- Stroll through the historic part of City, along alleys lined with souks and shops, pass by the King’s Palace[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]· [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Anfa- drive through the elegant residential district[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]· [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Mohammed V Square[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Symbol][SIZE=3]· [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Ain Diab- stroll along the beachfront boulevard de la Corniche (1 ¾ miles long)[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]In the evening we might be interested in returning to the Ain Diab stopping off at a couple of bars/clubs where the local Casablanca residents go[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]If any one would like to join us, please drop us a note at [EMAIL="deangayle@rogers.com"]deangayle@rogers.com[/EMAIL][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Emtbsam']My TA just let me know that there will be 3 formal, 5 informal and 6 casual nights on our cruise.

Hope that is helpful.[/quote]

Thanks. Have told the Chairman of the Board:p

DEAN

[quote name='irishteddybear']Jennifer may I ask why your last Transatlantic, I said the same 4 years ago, after jumping ship after 3 days:D:D, stayed on for whole cruise last year.:):)[/quote]

Hi irishteddybear

I don't want to double up...too many other cruises to go on:D

Cheers
Jennifer

[quote name='Emtbsam']My TA just let me know that there will be 3 formal, 5 informal and 6 casual nights on our cruise.

Hope that is helpful.[/quote]

Does your TA have info on nights set aside for formal?

[quote name='sistahyaya']I just spent HOURS reading this Roll Call. I'm Susan and my DH Michael and I are so excited about this cruise! It's our first Trans Atlantic, and our first Silversea cruise.

We are in Cabin 918, hope I can get up early for that morning Meet and Greet! Thank you everyone for such wonderful information. Can't wait![/QUOTE]
Hi Susan, Michael,
'The House' at Paynes Bay on the west coast is a very nice and up market small hotel. It is right on the beach and next door is Daphne's which is a very nice Italian themed restaurant owned by Daphne's of Londan, very well known in the UK. You will enjoy it there and the Lobster Pasta at Daphne's is superb.
See you at the Marriot in Lisbon for cocktails.
Andy

Archived