Roll Call: Silver Spirit, Lisbon-Bridgetown, 23 October 2010

ging466

• 2 weeks later...

Have been making arrangements for travel for this cruise, since the final payment is due late July.

For those of you who are departing the Spirit on Nov. 6th. as I am in Barbados should be aware of the limited flight resources from Georgetown to the States. I booked a business class seat on American Airlines flight 1384 departing Georgetown, Barbados for JFK, New York City. It departs at 2:35 p.m. Already business class is filling up, and the plane does not have a first class section. I am assuming that the early birds like myself will get all of the seats. [i will be staying overnight at JFK, and then traveling to Reno, NV via Denver the next day.]

My getting to Lisbon is somewhat different. Going East from the West takes quite a bit of time, and us older folk do not like to be traveling for 25-28 hours. So will fly from RNO to Newark, New Jersey's Liberty and stay over night, and charge the batteries on my very new portable oxygen concentrator. Will then the next evening take a Continental non-stop flight from Liberty [EWR] to LIS and arrive there at 8:20 a.m. on Oct. 22nd. That flight is C064, and the plane is one of their few planes that has decent business class seats for long flights, if anyone else is interested.

Finally, yesterday received my new Inogen One G2 portable oxygen concentrator and it is fantastic. It is about half the size of my original Inogen One which I have used extensively to travel, and it increases my battery life from 4 batteries giving me 12 hours to 3 batteries giving me 20 hours. The POC, its bag and wheeled cart is about the size of a woman's large handbag.

Now, will have to make my hotel reservation for Lisbon. Reading the prior posts, it seems that most are staying at the Marriot Lisbon, which is a business hotel and some what distant from the more interesting areas of Lisbon. Would love any advice that you can give me, however, I do plan to be at the Marriot on the evening of Oct. 22nd. at 7:00 p.m. to meet everyone.

Hi Charlie

That is good news about your POC, glad u have the new one for the trip.

I've made a booking at the Hotel Avenida Palace in downtown Lisbon and I still haven't decided when to fly into Lisbon. I'm scared that another volcano might flip its lid and I'll get stuck on the way so I may get into Lisbon as early as 18 October...not sure yet.

Here's the link to the hotel:

http://www.hotelavenidapalace.pt/EN/index_en.html

It's a wee bit expensive but it's an old palace and it looks so authentic...read the history page...quite interesting.

I thought the Marriott was a little too far out of the main drag for my liking but am happy to get a taxi there for our pre-cruise party!

Is everyone coming because everyone on the roll call is invited!:D

I've still got plenty of time to contact SS re our invitations, so if u haven't emailed your details to me (and want an invitation) to our Meet & Mingle party on the ship, pls do so.

Cheers

Jennifer

Hi Charlie

I've made a booking at the Hotel Avenida Palace in downtown Lisbon and I still haven't decided when to fly into Lisbon. I'm scared that another volcano might flip its lid and I'll get stuck on the way so I may get into Lisbon as early as 18 October...not sure yet. [END QUOTE]

Jennifer gave it a quick look, and will give it a longer look - looks very charming. The location is great, since I will probably have only about a day to browse around downtown - so it is better to be right there.

Charlie, we are also considering the Avenida Palace due to its location. We would be happy to help you any way we can. He's a former paramedic, she's an EMT.

Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness, but sure hope that I do not need your services. Have to tell you that the new Inogen One G2 is really revolutionary, but in size as well as battery time. It did not occur to me on my last cruise to merely increase the flow from 2lpm to 3 lpm when walking around the ship and there would be no getting out of breath moments. At rest I do very well on no oxygen or at 2lpm.

Am going to look very closely at that hotel. Perhaps, we could all share a cab to go over to the Marriott for the CC'er get together on the night of the 22nd.

Am going to look very closely at that hotel. Perhaps, we could all share a cab to go over to the Marriott for the CC'er get together on the night of the 22nd.

Sounds like a plan:) Happy to do so if that is the general consensus.

Cheers

Jennifer

Charlie (cechase), I think that you will be very happy with the Continental 64 flight from Newark to Lisbon. We were on that flight in January for the Spirit maiden crossing. It was on time, very comfortable in business class, actually managed to sleep a bit. The Marriott hotel is a short taxi ride from the airport and it is easy to arrange early check-in, friendly, quiet. It is not for walking to the main or lively sites, but they are a short taxi ride away. And it's a short taxi ride to embarcation. It was recommended to us by the astute and lovely Dusababy, and she was spot on.

I heartily agree with your comment on the limited flight options from Bridgetown, Barbados to the U.S. After the rigors of our flights home, I might rather book an additional cruise segment than fly home from Barbados in the future.

Hope that you meet SeaEyre (my sister and brother-in-law) on your cruise!

Dieter

I will be joining in on this cruise, staying on for the Barbados 2 Barbados, this will be my first SS cruise, looking forward to it very much. Is it too early to start packing:):):)

I forgot to ask if there will be anyone of the younger cruise generation on either of these cruises, I am under 40:)

OK Jennifer, I am a lurker but here I am. We live in Barbados so if anyone wants any inside info on the destination Port, happy to help. This is our first Silver Sea trip previously sailed with Windstar and Seabourn, but very much looking forward to thia trip.

Andy

Sailmaker,

seeking your guidance for lodging in Barbados for a 7 day stay between 11/6 to 11/13. Currently we're waitlisted for the Spirit Lis-Barb cruise on 10/23 and advised just yesterday of a very good chance to get our cabin/deck choice. If it works out, we plan to stay in Barbados for 7 days and catch the Barbados-FLL cruise on 11/6. As we need to be in FLL for two weeks after arrival, prefer to cruise in, so a stay in Barbados works. Never having been there, can you suggest a few lodging facilities ? No big resorts/hotels, but peace/quiet/privacy,beachfront and primarily adult. We don't mind seclusion/ "out of the way", but seek somewhat upscale and low-key.

Thank you.

Currently we're waitlisted for the Spirit Lis-Barb cruise on 10/23

Hi ravenclaw

Welcome to our roll call. If u manage to get a suite, email me with your details and I'll make sure u get an invitation to our CC party on the ship on Sunday 24 October.

U r also invited to our pre-cruise get-together which is being held on Friday 22 October at 7pm in Lisbon at the Marriott hotel.

Cheers

Jennifer:)

Hi ravenclaw

Welcome to our roll call. If u manage to get a suite, email me with your details and I'll make sure u get an invitation to our CC party on the ship on Sunday 24 October.

U r also invited to our pre-cruise get-together which is being held on Friday 22 October at 7pm in Lisbon at the Marriott hotel.

Cheers

Jennifer:)

Hi Jennifer,

many thanks for the invite...assuming we get confirmed on this cruise, will e-mail you the details and join you all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

Just thought I'd let u all know that u can access & book your shore excursions now.

I've booked the following:

Tangier: Tangier & Cap Spartel

Casablanca: Magical, Mystical Marrakech

Arrecife: Fire Mountains & Dromedaries

Tenerife: Orotava Valley & Puerto de la Cruz

St John's: Silver Shore Expedition - Kayak & Snorkel Eco Adventure

Castries: Heli-Flightseeing over South Island

If anyone has any prior knowledge that these excursions aren't real good, or that there is something 'must see' in any of these ports, pls let me know.

Cheers

Jennifer

Casablanca: Magical, Mystical Marrakech

Arrecife: Fire Mountains & Dromedaries

I haven't done these specific tours: but in Lanzarote [Arrecife], if you only do one thing, the volcanic landscape is the thing to see; and Casablanca is not a good representative for Morocco -- Marrakech is much more vibrant, and may be worth the long bus ride (though hang on to your wallet: both salesmanship and pick-pocketing are highly developed).

Sailmaker,

seeking your guidance for lodging in Barbados for a 7 day stay between 11/6 to 11/13. Currently we're waitlisted for the Spirit Lis-Barb cruise on 10/23 and advised just yesterday of a very good chance to get our cabin/deck choice. If it works out, we plan to stay in Barbados for 7 days and catch the Barbados-FLL cruise on 11/6. As we need to be in FLL for two weeks after arrival, prefer to cruise in, so a stay in Barbados works. Never having been there, can you suggest a few lodging facilities ? No big resorts/hotels, but peace/quiet/privacy,beachfront and primarily adult. We don't mind seclusion/ "out of the way", but seek somewhat upscale and low-key.

Thank you.

Hi Ravenclaw, There are a great many Hotels in Bim but here are a few suggestions based on quiet out-of-the-way locations:

http://www.peachandquiet.com Located on the south coast has a good rep and many loyal repeats. There is a pool but no beach but it is on the water. I believe they don't allow kids. http://www.littlearches.com is voted one if not the best hotels on the island. It is a boutique hotel with many awards, nice rooftop restaurant and pool. No kids allowed. Located on the south coast but away from the night life. The Oistins fish market is close by where on Friday nights they have fantastic fish served in an open courtyard, very popular amoung locals and visitors alike. Another really nice out-of-the-way quiet Hotel is http://www.littlegoodharbourbarbados.com this is an all chalet type hotel on the north west coast so sea is very calm for swimming. It has one of our favourite restaurants on the Island called the Fish Pot. The hotel is owned by a compatriot of GING466 by the name of Andrew Warden who has recently completely renovated on of the island's oldest hotels called Atlantis which is now a boutique hotel in Tent Bay which is a small fishing village on the rugged east Coast. Miles from anywhere except the soup bowl in Bathsheba which is famous with surfers. Always lovely and cool at Atlantis with the east trade winds always blowing. Has nice restaurant and pool but too dangerous for swimming. There are hundreds more but I have picked some nice quiet choices that you will not be dissapointed with and cover a wide price range. If nothing suits I can make other suggestions try googling Barbados Hotels and see if anything looks promising. Hope you get a cabin on board for the trip.

Have booked all of my air, which is somewhat complicated for this cruise. That just leaves making the final payment in July and making hotel reservations.

Since I don't like 24 hours or more of travel, am breaking it up. Reno to Newark Liberty, stay overnight, and then take the Continental nonstop to Lisbon the next day. Coming back, American Airlines from Barbados to JFK, a transfer over to Newark Liberty, stay overnight and catch my flight to Reno. Was actually able to use some of my United miles, so will be flying United Reno to Newark, and Newark to Reno first class for $10.00.

Have to make some decisions, so will welcome all suggestions for hotels at EWR [Liberty] and in Lisbon.

We still haven't made a decision about where to stay in Lisbon. We have reservations at the Marriott, but the hotel is way too far from the center of town for us to walk. We had considered a wonderful B & B called Zuzabed & Breakfast, but alas, they had no room. Also on the list are Chiado 16, Altis Avenida, Avenida Palace, Britania, Heritage and Olissipo Hotel. We like to stay in a hotel that is local rather than a sterile chain hotel. Also, we would love to have a good view over the city and be within walking distance of the main part of the city.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Where are the rest of the CC crowd on this cruise going to stay?

Hi Ravenclaw, There are a great many Hotels in Bim but here are a few suggestions based on quiet out-of-the-way locations:

Hi Sailmaker,

thanks much for your post and suggestions...If we get our cabin choice, (we're now #1 on the wait list), and get booked it'll be one of your suggestions, most likely the one that has the Fish Pot restaurant, which I've read some great reviews on.

We still haven't made a decision about where to stay in Lisbon. We have reservations at the Marriott, but the hotel is way too far from the center of town for us to walk. We had considered a wonderful B & B called Zuzabed & Breakfast, but alas, they had no room. Also on the list are Chiado 16, Altis Avenida, Avenida Palace, Britania, Heritage and Olissipo Hotel. We like to stay in a hotel that is local rather than a sterile chain hotel. Also, we would love to have a good view over the city and be within walking distance of the main part of the city.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Where are the rest of the CC crowd on this cruise going to stay?

We have booked Lisbon Marriott Hotel, Avenida dos Combatentes, Lisbon, 1600-042

Time for us to put our mind to each port

Has anyone had any experiences that they can pass on for each of the ports we are visiting, in particular local guides with contact info.

In our recent cruise around South America on Oceania, we used local guides in each port, met some wonderful locals, ate in the restaurants for lunch frequented by the locals and most important stopped to take pictures when one of the group wished to do so

Thanks for any help

• 2 weeks later...

Archived