Roll Call: Silver Spirit, Lisbon-Bridgetown, 23 October 2010

ging466

Mitch, Jennifer: here is what I just received from the Spirit's first Captain, Captain Corsaro concernng your get together on the Spirit in October:

Buon Giorno Colonnello Wes & Signora Ida

many thanks for your e-mail and very nice to hear from you. I am still at home due to leave next week ... vulcanic ash allowing to fly !! About November 2011 Transatlantic, unfortunatley I cannot confirm if I will be on board the Spirit as my schedule is only up to December 2010, but theoretically I should be on board the Spirit, but for sure will be very nice to see booth of you and of course the Burns. Also about who is going to be the Cruise Director for next October, sorry I do not have this information confirmed, but should be Fernando again. I believe the best way to make sure everything will be fine, is to require any special event, directlyto Silversea FLL, they will instruct the ship, Hotel Director included, so I suggest to do it. I should be on board next Ocotber, so please ask them I will be very happy to be of any help to them once they are on board.

I wish you a good week end, my best regards, Angelo

Silversea POC: SpecialServices@silversea.com

Wes, Silversea would do well to make you honorary Stateside Embassador.

You always have the "right stuff" when it comes to information about Silversea Cruises and activities on or off the Ships. Thanks for helping out Jennifer.;)

"Mitch"

Dieter and Debbie (my brother and sister-in-law) definitely should join us! They've told us so many wonderful thinks about Silversea and about their cruise critic friends that my husband and I have booked the October 23 crossing. We are so much looking forward to this cruise and to meeting all of you!

SeaEyre, we spent 16 wonderful nights with Dieter (despite his Navy background) and Debbie on the Spirit maiden crossing in January; we know how much both your husband and you are looking forward to your crossing...fair winds and following seas..r/wes

Dieter and Debbie (my brother and sister-in-law) definitely should join us! They've told us so many wonderful thinks about Silversea and about their cruise critic friends that my husband and I have booked the October 23 crossing. We are so much looking forward to this cruise and to meeting all of you!

Welcome to the roll call SeaEyre. Look forward to meeting u. Would u kindly email me your names & cabin numbers so that I can have an invitation for our get-together sent to u.

Just a reminder to everyone in the roll call to email your names & cabin numbers.

My email address is in the "Email me" link below.

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

We're so glad to hear that you'll be joining the group. We've heard so much about you from Dieter & Debbie.

Thank you, Colonel Wes, Emtbsam, and ging 466. I've been a lurker on the Silversea posts for the past year, so I already feel like I know you, at least a little. My husband and I were booked on the April Silver Wind cruise from Istanbul to Venice but an accident forced us to cancel. We're doing well now and are in the mood to celebrate. Has anyone been to Casablanca and Tangier? Do you have any tips for exploring these cities? My husband and I lived for two years in Tunisia and Algeria when we were young, but have never been to Morocco and are no longer as mobile as we were in the old North Africa days. Is it better to take the ship's tours or to book with a private company that would allow us to go at our own pace? Does anyone know of good local tour guides?

Has anyone been to Casablanca and Tangier? Do you have any tips for exploring these cities?
Casablanca is not a particularly exciting city, IMO. The port itself is unattractive and the local excursion highlight is a large modern mosque. A long day trip to Marrakech (sp.?) is possible, but involves several hours each way on the road. Marrakech is worth seeing, but really needs more than the few hours' glimpse that is possible this way.

Our list keeps growing and now stands at:

ging466: Jennifer

cechase: Charlie

Emtbsam: Bob & Victoria (email received)

Prince: x2

MaryB1: Mary & Ken (email received)

DTM: Dan & wife

Riobound: Barbara & Don & Carolyn & Ron (4)

largo162: John & Marlene

jgibbs: x2

topigo: Tibor & Peter

palamoh: Mitch & Sheila

Sailmaker: Andy & Val (email received)

oceanwave001: x4

SeaEyre: Trudy & Elliot (email received)

I hope I haven't missed anyone. If you are joining us on this fabulous cruise and want an invitation to our CC get together on the ship, pls let me know.

Cheers

Jennifer

gingiepoo@hotmail.com

It's a long way off...:D... but the time will go quick.

I know that Cechase will be on this voyage, will anyone else be on it?

I will be in verandah suite 610.

Hopefully we can get enough CCers together to have a party.

Cheers

ging466

We just signed up and are just down the hall from you 624

Mitch (and for other crossing folks)..here is my review of tour guide, Jorge Bras (private tourguide we used for a full day tour in Lisbon on 2 Jan) that I posted in the CC port section:

Strongest recommendation for Jorge Bras..he provided us with a full day Lisbon private tour (just my wife and I) on 2 Jan. Jorge spent eight hours to our delight showing us: Lisbon, Sintra, Cascais, Estoril and the Lisbon coast. Jorge is be far, the most exceptional tour guidewe have ever encounterd (land or sea). Jorge is a historian and his gentle discourse during the tour reflects an unending love/passion for his country/Lisboa. As a veteran, I was pleased to learn Jorge is also a military veteran (Portugese Special Forces) who made a night combat jump into the Falklands. He is very humble and only shared this with my wife and I because we are both veterans. If interested, you may contact Jorge at jmvbtours@gmail.com

Thanks for the tip. We found your analysis on the Silversea Spirit in another thread very helpful

as SS crew very often says, "my pleasure" it is really what CC is about--using our

on board experience to give back..not only the great, good, but the bad and hopefully,

rarely, ugly on board SS experiences..have a wonderful Spirit cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Transatlantic CCers

This is a reminder for those of u who haven't emailed me with your names & cabin numbers. Would you pls email me...I'm organising the get together on the ship and want to make sure u get your invitation.

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, am back from my 15 day panama canal cruise on Shadow and finally readjusting to a non-pampered lifestyle.

Was a little concerned with the location of my suite [508], since it required considerable walking and on occasion that is somewhat hard for people on oxygen. So called my valiant TA, and she was able to get me a suite [522] only three cabins from the fore elevators, and a very very short walk to The Bar. Same deal - and once again my TA and Silversea have been so good to me.

What is interesting is that this cruise is booked up to the gunnel's, and apart from my old suite and new suite, there were only 6 mid ship veranda suites located on deck 6 available, all of which are directly above The Bar, and apparently noise is the issue.

Will now start to check out travel arrangements and hotel. Presently, am planning to fly from Reno/Tahoe to DFW and stay overnight, and then fly from DFW to Madrid with a short hop to Lisbon [Need time to recharge batteries for my portable oxygen concentrator.] The other issue which I have not decided is whether to arrive in Lisbon on the 21st. or the 22nd.

Finally, a question for travelors who are more seasoned than I. There is a Hyatt hotel with in the Dallas Fort Worth Airport - is it convenient to get to the hotel from baggage, and from the hotel for the International Concourse?

Archived