Movies Set on Cruise Ships

Bret82

The Legend of 1900, starring the always-fabulous Tim Roth. He plays a man (named "1900") who was found as an infant on a ship at the turn of the 20th century, and spends his entire life on board. It's a really bittersweet movie! Here's a Wiki-link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_1900

I just watched this movie for the first time, and I loved it! It is an independent English language foreign film, so it did not have a huge release in the US, but it should have, because it is an Amazing and touching film.

Here are a few that weren't mentioned above

One Crazy Cruise, which is a Nickelodeon Channel movie, that features a hangover type plot featuring a blended family where the children don't get along. They are hypnotized into wreaking havoc on the ship, and then forgetting their actions, so they are forced to work together the next day to retrace their steps.

National Lampoon's Dorm Daze 2, which features a collegiate spring break one act play competition set on a cruise ship.

Going Overboard, which is about a cruise ship waiter with ambition to become a standup comedian. It stars Adam Sandler. While the movie is set mostly on a cruise ship, I would not recommend it. It was pretty boring.

Many great movies were mentioned in earlier posts...

Titanic, Legend of 1900, The Poseidon Adventure, and its little known sequel, of which I can not remember the name, but it featured Sally Field, Posiedon, the remake of The Poseidon Adventure, and Ghost Ship. While all of these movies take place on ships, most of them are set on the grand ocean liners of the past, and do not represent a modern depiction of cruising. However, they are all excellent movies, save for the sequel to The Poseidon Adventure.

These others mentioned before, Jack and Jill, and Chipwrecked, do depict modern cruise ships, but only partially take place on the ships. Jack and Jill does give you glimpses of Royal Carribbean's Allure of the Seas, though you could probably find a three minute video on YouTube that would show you more of the ship than the movie does. Chipwrecked does show you considerably more of the Carnival Dream, but the stateroom scenes are clearly filmed in the Captain's Suite, which we all know is the most expensive accomodation on Carnival Ships.

I can't speak to Out to Sea, as I haven't seen it since it first came out, nor can I speak to the movie with Cuba Gooding Jr., as I haven't seen it at all.

As for Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, and any other movie set on a ship made before the 1970s, they do not, and could not depict a representation of modern cruising, as most ships before the 1970s were the old ocean liners, which were meant for travel from one destination to another, and not meant to be a round trip vacation.

The Love Boat TV show, if you can find it, I haven't been able to, is probably a more accurate depiction of modern cruising than any of the movies listed above, save for One Crazy Cruise; however, as mentioned in an earlier post, while the opening credits were filmed on one of Princess Cruise Lines ships, most scenes in the actual show were shot on a set. Although they did do a wonderful job recreating the different areas of the ship. That said, remember that each cruise line is different, and thanks to The Love Boat, Princess Cruise Lines is seen to be a cruise line designed for passengers seeking romance, whether they be on the ship to try to meet someone, or on a vacation with a current SO.

All that said, I think Hollywood should make a vacation based movie set entirely on a cruise ship. As they have not done so yet though, I like to gear up for my cruise by watching cruise vlogs on YouTube. SeaCruisers YouTube channel is great, and has vlogs of them cruising on many different ships, and cruise lines.

Wonderful Life, the US title was Swingers Paradise which really says 1964 was a more innocent time, was a Cliff Richard film. Sir Cliff pumped them out just like Elvis did in the 60s and this is one of his worst. Cliff Richard, Susan Hampshire, The Shadows, Melvyn Hayes, Richard O'Sullivan and Una Stubbs start off as part of a cruise ships crew and get thrown off in the Canaries. It wasn't bad comment cards though, as far as I remember they blew up part of the ship. The title song isn't so bad though and it does have sea gulls in.

I dont think it has been mentioned- and to a degree doesnt really qualify - but the dreadful "Raise the Titanic!" It was made before the discovery of the wreck and assumed the ship was more or less intact on the sea bed

As someone that has been fascinated with Titanic since age 9 when Titanic was discovered by Dr. Robert Ballard I can say without question that Raise the Titanic is one of the worst movies ever. Oh man was that simply terrible, just awful.

(another 5 year old thread) They filmed a movie on the SS Marconi during my 10 day cruise called "Don't miss the boat" as far as I know movie was never released, it stared a bunch of TV stars like JoAnn Worley, and lots of others Rip Taylor seemed sea sick for entire cruise , there also was a Richard Nixon impersonator, cast was all over the ship taking to passengers and making jokes. This was on a cruise out of NYC in 1979. Hockey great Phil Esposito was also a passenger and a very nice guy.

I dont think it has been mentioned- and to a degree doesnt really qualify - but the dreadful "Raise the Titanic!" It was made before the discovery of the wreck and assumed the ship was more or less intact on the sea bed

As someone that has been fascinated with Titanic since age 9 when Titanic was discovered by Dr. Robert Ballard I can say without question that Raise the Titanic is one of the worst movies ever. Oh man was that simply terrible, just awful.

Actually the book (by Clive Cussler) is very good, but the film was financed in the UK by Sir Lew Grade who thought he would make a quick buck. Thus, the film missed out all the background story, got rid of half the characters and totally changed the ending! I'm a big fan of the book, but as you say the film is cr@p!

BTW, did you see the Ch 4 prog about how a fire that had been burning inone of the bunkers for 3 weeks, was totally ignored by the inquiry, but probably caused the disaster. Worth a watch http://www.channel4.com/programmes/titanic-the-new-evidence

Simon

Can't believe nobody's mentioned the cinematic masterpiece, Chipwrecked.

Lol. That was the first one to come to mind.

Not filmed entirely on a ship but Jack and Jill with Adam Sandler, the last part was filmed on the Allure of the Seas. Not the best movie ever made but pretty funny and cool to see the ship.

Thought about that one too. I was not sure if it was Oasis or Allure, but I knew it was one of them. It made me want to sail on it. Not yet though...

Off topic - neither involved a cruise ship.

You are misinformed they were both about ships crossing the Atlantic with passengers on them

But I am interested to know then what you would call these ships?

A night to remember was about the titanic

Voyage of the damed was about people on a ship not being able to dock

Google is your friend

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on a Princess ship a while back. Then actor, who's name I forget, who played "Doc" on the "Love Boat' was on board. He was about 80. He spoke to us and told us they filmed the "Love Boat' on board Princess for 6 weeks every summer every year. His talk was enjoyable!

You are misinformed they were both about ships crossing the Atlantic with passengers on them

But I am interested to know then what you would call these ships?

A night to remember was about the titanic

Voyage of the damed was about people on a ship not being able to dock

Google is your friend

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote

I would call them "ships", or "passenger ships", or, possibly "ocean liners"- all of which terms apply to Titanic or to St. Louis (the ship upon whose voyage Ship of Fools was based)..

A "cruise ship" is a vessel primarily engaged in recreation: not in point to point transportation as was the business in which those ships were involved. Many, if not most, cruise ship itineraries start and end in the same port. QM2 is the only "cruise ship" regularly involved in such point to point transportation --- and she is generally referred to as a "liner" rather than as a cruise ship --- even though, for a very large portion of her itineraries, she is in fact serving as a "cruise ship".

I might have watched Karl Malden in the TV movie The Hijacking of the Achille Lauro. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097508/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2 Also starring were Lee Grant, E.G. Marshall, and Vera Miles.

I'm sure I did not watch Voyage of Terror: The Achille Lauro Affair, which starred Burt Lancaster, Eva Marie Saint and an international cast. Robert Culp is well down the list of credits: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100889/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Don't know about the Brady Bunch ...but Columbo did. Of course his wife was with him ... I think Robert Vaughan was the bad guy ...

The Designing Women took a cruise, too ... they were hired to redecorate the ship ...

And I think Frasier took a cruise once ...