I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

13 hours ago, ski ww said:

The rebuild steam engine is a project that some of us volunteers at a local museum are working on.

DSC_3095.JPG

DSC_3097.JPG

DSC_3099.JPG

Aa a lifelong fan of anything mechanical, I have to give a big thumbs up to this.

Well done!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

It takes a very high shutter speed to freeze the wings of a hummingbird. It takes a very high shutter speed and a lot of luck to freeze them while they're peeing.

DFP04896.jpg

Dave

Edited by pierces
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, pierces said:

It takes a very high shutter speed to freeze the wings of a hummingbird. It takes a very high shutter speed and a lot of luck to freeze them while they're peeing.

DFP04896.jpg

Dave

Great shot.

shutter speed?

6 minutes ago, pierces said:

Not sure. I had the dial set on "P"....

Bwaaaahahahahaha!

Seriously though, it was in S mode at 1/2000 - f/4 - ISO125. ISO125

Dave

I host it would have been quicker I was expecting you to say around 8000

10 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I host it would have been quicker I was expecting you to say around 8000

It was one of a short 10fps burst and other frames had slightly blurred wings. The wings in the picture look like they are at the peak of the backstroke making them blur-free.

Like I said...lucky timing. 🙂 

Dave

4 hours ago, pierces said:

It was one of a short 10fps burst and other frames had slightly blurred wings. The wings in the picture look like they are at the peak of the backstroke making them blur-free.

Like I said...lucky timing. 🙂 

Dave

Ah that helps.

remember my first “motor drive” 2fps, but that camera had too shutter speed of about 500 and ASA 400 was about as fast as colour film came. B&W 800 was sooooo grainy. Come a long way haven’t we.

6 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Ah that helps.

remember my first “motor drive” 2fps, but that camera had too shutter speed of about 500 and ASA 400 was about as fast as colour film came. B&W 800 was sooooo grainy. Come a long way haven’t we.

Considering that the picture is a crop from an image shot wide open at the long end of a 24-105 zoom, yes we have.

As much as I loved my SRT-102, things have changed so much. This is truly is a great time to be a photographer.

Dave

6 minutes ago, pierces said:

Considering that the picture is a crop from an image shot wide open at the long end of a 24-105 zoom, yes we have.

As much as I loved my SRT-102, things have changed so much. This is truly is a great time to be a photographer.

Dave

And the experimentation not having to pay and wait for D&P

add to all that the improvement in lenses (again I sound like a dinosaur but) I remember when the best zooms were about 2x and even then most serious photogs would use them for anything important

It involves planning, dealing with very competent pilots and reducing the variables.  For a stadium event the biggest variable is the performance of the National Anthem.  If you can determine that in advance then you can set the timing for the flyover.  Once the time for the flyover is set it becomes a fairly simple time/speed/distance calculation. For this event the timing is determined well in advance.  The program leading up to it has several instances where we can catch up or slow down if some portion goes long or short.  The airplane is pretty much committed about five minutes out and can make only minor timing adjustments from that point.  So we can adjust the show timing right up to the start of the Anthem.  When it starts on time time the airplane usually hits the mark.  

Well, if you want perspective check this out.

https://www.markholtzman.com/Sports/Football/2019-Rose-Bowl-Ohio-State-vs-Washington/i-bG58gn5

Mark flies over events and takes photos out the open window of his Cessna.  He claims it is just luck, but he has been very consistent for several years.  The airspace around/over these events is restricted so he flies above the restriction and has a safety pilot fly while he is shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't have to (in fact couldn't) go out for these, as that fine kookaburra paid a morning visit to my balcony railing. Fortunately I could reach my camera without him seeing me but the first shot was taken through two panes of glass and for the 2nd one I moved to another room and snuck under the net curtain while he was not looking.

He was trying to get rid of that fluff on his beak by rubbing it on the railing a couple of time.

46783209101_ba51c0234b_b.jpg

31841443967_e5d3d765cc_b.jpg

45868221825_a3d0b899fd_b.jpg

Edited by boeckli
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, boeckli said:

Didn't have to (in fact couldn't) go out for these, as that fine kookaburra paid a morning visit to my balcony railing. Fortunately I could reach my camera without him seeing me but the first shot was taken through two panes of glass and for the 2nd one I moved to another room and snuck under the net curtain while he was not looking.

He was trying to get rid of that fluff on his beak by rubbing it on the railing a couple of time.

46783209101_ba51c0234b_b.jpg

31841443967_e5d3d765cc_b.jpg

45868221825_a3d0b899fd_b.jpg

I love Kookaburras, unfortunately the ones that used to sing to me each morning have been forced to move further away.