I need some ideas......

pozz

If you're talking about chair hogs then simply tell the attendant that they have been away for x amount of time and they will remove it. Please make sure that they are really chair hogs. I was laying out one day for hours and it was quite hot and my husband went to the other side to have a smoke and it got so hot I went into the pool for a few minutes and then the hot tub for 15 and when I came back some jacka$$ had my things moved. Are you kidding me?

First, you ask the folks in the chairs nearby if anyone is actually USING the chairs. If they say no, then ask the pool attendant to move the items.

Or, go up a deck, or back a ways, and find an unoccupied lounger....there are usually enough..it's just that they can't all be within 2 feet of the pool!

how to remove chair items yourself,any takers on this?????

If the item is one of the ship's towels, just dump it in the used towel bin; that is exactly what it is: a used towel. If it is a book or article of clothing, you could ask an attendant to move it. Or, if you know thast the chair has been vacant for much more than 30 minutes, move it yourself to the side, on a table if possible, then sit down. If you are asked, you can truthfully say that there was nothing on the chair when you sat down.

It is difficult to understand why so many people are afraid of offending people who demonstrate offensive behavior. Does anyone really believe that any fellow passenger has any right to reserve an unused chair for more than half an hour?

Ok so after reading all this I've decided what I will do on my August sailing. I am going to take sticky note pads and a small chip clip. If I have to leave say to...pee? I'll write the time I left like " went to ladies room @ 12:17 on a sticky note and then put it on my chair with a chip clip so it doesn't blow away. That way if some one is looking for a seat and it is 12:19 they know I've only been gone 2 minutes and to give me time to pull up my pants before they discard my towel and things...:rolleyes: Think it will work??:)

Ok so after reading all this I've decided what I will do on my August sailing. I am going to take sticky note pads and a small chip clip. If I have to leave say to...pee? I'll write the time I left like " went to ladies room @ 12:17 on a sticky note and then put it on my chair with a chip clip so it doesn't blow away. That way if some one is looking for a seat and it is 12:19 they know I've only been gone 2 minutes and to give me time to pull up my pants before they discard my towel and things...:rolleyes: Think it will work??:)

good one try it,or are u being funny,maybe we should be paying a rental for 5$ each,you get your money back if u use the chair,if not the attendence get to keep the money, i bet they all would be occupied.

:) I think that's a great idea.

Went to the rest room.

Went in the pool.

Took a short walk over to the stern to look at the wake for a few minutes, to stretch my legs.

Went to get a cold drink (no steward in sight).

Went to get my book from my cabin.

Promise..... I'll keep my eye on my watch and be back in 29 minutes or less.

devils advocate here- NO FLAMES PLEASE!!!! I understand chair hogging is frustrating. be warned this may be snarky but this hit a nerve with me.

So If I put my stuff down(lotion and my glasses) on a chair go into pool and hot tub lets say 1/2 hour in hot tub then 1/2 hour in pool on the ship. Then I go on a potty break or get a drink come back and you will be removing my stuff thinking I'm a chair hog? What are you going to put a timer on my pool time for 30 minutes I don't think so? Are you that impatient until I get back? I don't spend all my time on deck maybe 1 hour and a half tops. Also I can care less where I sit but I also don't feel I have to leave a posty note saying I'm going to pee that's my business.

If I catch you touching my stuff and you aren't cruise staff, I will be informing the cruise staff you were trying to steal my stuff. So think before doing it. Would you want some one to do it to you? NO you wouldn't There are people who legitimately use the pool area for an 1 hour or so then leave. Now I have to worry my dip in the pool or hot tub will result of my stuff missing by someone who wants my chair that I will be only using for an hour maybe hour and half tops.

devils advocate here- NO FLAMES PLEASE!!!! I understand chair hogging is frustrating. be warned this may be snarky but this hit a nerve with me..

OP never said he wants to remove stuff where the chairs have been unused for more than 30 minutes. He just says he wants to know how people remove other people's things from the lounge chairs.

Ya'all are just assuming he plans to wait 30 minutes to do it.

devils advocate here- NO FLAMES PLEASE!!!! I understand chair hogging is frustrating. be warned this may be snarky but this hit a nerve with me.

So If I put my stuff down(lotion and my glasses) on a chair go into pool and hot tub lets say 1/2 hour in hot tub then 1/2 hour in pool on the ship. Then I go on a potty break or get a drink come back and you will be removing my stuff thinking I'm a chair hog? What are you going to put a timer on my pool time for 30 minutes I don't think so? Are you that impatient until I get back? I don't spend all my time on deck maybe 1 hour and a half tops...

I don't spend much time poolside, so I'm not generally impacted much by poolside behavior. But I'll play devil's advocate; please don't take it as flaming. If you are planning to be IN the hot tub and pool for an hour plus the potty and drink break, you know you will not actually be in the chair for 1-1.5 hours. Wouldn't your towel and sunglasses be perfectly comfortable sitting on a ledge while you hang out in the pool/hot tub? Then you could grab a chair when you plan to actually sit in it. If everbody was considerate, wouldn't there be plenty of chairs when you towel off and want to sit down?

The problem, of course, is that others are not always considerate, so there may not be many empty chairs. On a recent cruise, I found an empty chair, sat awhile, then got in the pool for about 10 or 15 minutes. While I was in the pool, I watched a couple take the newly vacated chairs adjacent to mine. As they settled into their two chairs, the woman placed her personal items next to mine on my chair. Upon returning to my chair (well within the half hour rule), I had to ask the crazy woman to move her stuff off my chair. I got an indignant look, but she did move her junk. She probably didn't wanted my dripping wet body sitting on top of her things:rolleyes:. There was a wide dry, empty ledge right behind the chairs.

So If I put my stuff down(lotion and my glasses) on a chair go into pool and hot tub lets say 1/2 hour in hot tub then 1/2 hour in pool on the ship. Then I go on a potty break or get a drink come back and you will be removing my stuff thinking I'm a chair hog? What are you going to put a timer on my pool time for 30 minutes I don't think so? Are you that impatient until I get back? I don't spend all my time on deck maybe 1 hour and a half tops. Also I can care less where I sit but I also don't feel I have to leave a posty note saying I'm going to pee that's my business.

If I catch you touching my stuff and you aren't cruise staff, I will be informing the cruise staff you were trying to steal my stuff. So think before doing it. Would you want some one to do it to you? NO you wouldn't There are people who legitimately use the pool area for an 1 hour or so then leave. Now I have to worry my dip in the pool or hot tub will result of my stuff missing by someone who wants my chair that I will be only using for an hour maybe hour and half tops.

chair hogs if you are doing all that you dont need the chair

OP never said he wants to remove stuff where the chairs have been unused for more than 30 minutes. He just says he wants to know how people remove other people's things from the lounge chairs.

Ya'all are just assuming he plans to wait 30 minutes to do it.

Since the OP asked how others remove items not how others alerts ships crew to the problem. It is safe to assume that he intends to personally remove towels,deemed offensive.

chair hogs if you are doing all that you dont need the chair

I didn't mean I was going to do these things all in a row, however I can't promise one or two of them might not happen back to back at some point on a 7 day cruise.

good one try it,or are u being funny,maybe we should be paying a rental for 5$ each,you get your money back if u use the chair,if not the attendence get to keep the money, i bet they all would be occupied.

Actually I was being serious. When we are by the pool we are never far from our seats. If I am going to be doing several things then I really don't need a lounger. A seat by one of the tables is just fine to hold my things and actually if I am gong to be moving around I'll be takeing my things as I go. To the person who said about using the pool and then the hot tube and then the potty... Yes I do feel if I did that I'd be chair hogging. I don't need a chair to hold my things. A table can do that. The lounge chairs are for lounging. If your in the pool it isn't a problem because you can see your things and simply say to some one " excuse me they are my things I am in the pool." I don't expect people to take their towels in the pool with them. It is when they hold a lounge chair with a towel and then leave for an hour but think that the lounger is thiers exclusively for the entire day. NOPE it does not work like that . And any one telling the staff that I am trying to steal their stuff ,good. I can then expain how I have been searching for an hour for a seat while your book has been lounging alone for the hour.

The worst was the family who had 9 childrens books (those little golden books) on 9 loungers right in front of the pool. When my husband and I could not find a seat and 45 minutes had past my DH took 2 of the books and put them on the next seat (which already had a book) the man on the end started yelling and telling my husband they were for his family who were haveing breakfast. After being cursed out in french and english and being told we were just ignorant americans we took the seats any way. The "family" came out another 1/2 hour later. They then (the elderly mom and dad) started to curse at us and call us names. Yes in front of their grand children and everyone else. First 2 seats that opened we just moved. But talk about rude people!!

Sitting by a pool full of screaming, splashing, noisy people isn't my idea of holiday bliss in the first place. There are usually plenty of vacant chairs elsewhere, eg promenade deck, away from the chaos (and chair hogs).

Scenario# 2

From what I assume now is there are the "chair police" with timers in hand, circling like vultures around the pool area looking for a chair. And if I'm in the pool and my stuff is on the chair. I wear glasses and always bring a book to read which I don't bring into the pool,because the book & glasses will get wet., Which I place on the lounger because I may want sit there after the pool and read. Which will upset the chair police because I will actually lounge on the chair. But lets say I get thirsty in between chapters of my book and get a drink, then I come back and read the rest of my book on that same chair. I happen to like to read for hours on end. Does that also make me a chair hog? If I want to "lounge" and read my book I will.And its usually far enough away from the pool so my book doesn't get splashed. Will the chair police give me a special permit allow me to sit on the lounge chair and read for hours?:D I don't want to break the chair hog rules.

Scenario# 2

From what I assume now is there are the "chair police" with timers in hand, circling like vultures around the pool area looking for a chair. And if I'm in the pool and my stuff is on the chair. I wear glasses and always bring a book to read which I don't bring into the pool,because the book & glasses will get wet., Which I place on the lounger because I may want sit there after the pool and read. Which will upset the chair police because I will actually lounge on the chair. But lets say I get thirsty in between chapters of my book and get a drink, then I come back and read the rest of my book on that same chair. I happen to like to read for hours on end. Does that also make me a chair hog? If I want to "lounge" and read my book I will.And its usually far enough away from the pool so my book doesn't get splashed. Will the chair police give me a special permit allow me to sit on the lounge chair and read for hours?:D I don't want to break the chair hog rules.

I don't think anybody will object to you (and your inner magpie:D) lounging and reading for hours on end. People understand why chairs occupied by humans are not available. The frustration seems to develop when chairs are occupied only by inanimate objects for extended periods. Frustration also seems to develop when a person reserves multiple seats for themselves (one in the sun/one in the shade for example). If you occupy only one chair with only occassional short absences, you are unlikely to be called a chairhog.

Actually I was being serious. When we are by the pool we are never far from our seats. If I am going to be doing several things then I really don't need a lounger. A seat by one of the tables is just fine to hold my things and actually if I am gong to be moving around I'll be takeing my things as I go. To the person who said about using the pool and then the hot tube and then the potty... Yes I do feel if I did that I'd be chair hogging. I don't need a chair to hold my things. A table can do that. The lounge chairs are for lounging. If your in the pool it isn't a problem because you can see your things and simply say to some one " excuse me they are my things I am in the pool." I don't expect people to take their towels in the pool with them. It is when they hold a lounge chair with a towel and then leave for an hour but think that the lounger is thiers exclusively for the entire day. NOPE it does not work like that . And any one telling the staff that I am trying to steal their stuff ,good. I can then expain how I have been searching for an hour for a seat while your book has been lounging alone for the hour.

The worst was the family who had 9 childrens books (those little golden books) on 9 loungers right in front of the pool. When my husband and I could not find a seat and 45 minutes had past my DH took 2 of the books and put them on the next seat (which already had a book) the man on the end started yelling and telling my husband they were for his family who were haveing breakfast. After being cursed out in french and english and being told we were just ignorant americans we took the seats any way. The "family" came out another 1/2 hour later. They then (the elderly mom and dad) started to curse at us and call us names. Yes in front of their grand children and everyone else. First 2 seats that opened we just moved. But talk about rude people!!

in the garbage or overboard then at least they have an arguement to make lol

I consider chair hogs the people who get up at 6 a.m., run and put things on loungers, then don't show up until 10 or 11 a.m. It happens on land based vacations too... just a pet peeve of mine. Other people could be using the chairs and maybe even be done lounging within that time frame.

I don't think cooling off briefly in the pool, getting a drink, going to the bathroom, qualifies as a chair hog. When we go to lunch though, I do remove all of our belongings to give others the opportunity to use the chairs.

Archived