Imput Wanted

Woobstr112G

Here is my situation. I have an 18 day cruise booked for next October on the Ruby. Elimination of overtime at work has forced me to downsize my choice of cabins. I also have a 7 day cruise booked in February (MR). The February cruise will give us Platinum status for our October cruise. Here's my question. If I cancel the February cruise, I will be able to afford a Vista suite next October. The downside would be we wouldn't have Platinum status for the cruise.

I would appreciate all comments to help me decide what to do.

Thanks in advance for your replies.....:):):)

Bob

Bob, If I am understanding you correctly, you are thinking of cancelling the February 7 day cruise but that will allow you to book a VS on the October cruise, but no platinum status? Keep in mind that you will have all the benefits of a full suite in the VS suite which would be far greater than what you would receive as Platinum, so you won't need platinum status. :) Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are trying to do here?

Bob, If I am understanding you correctly, you are thinking of cancelling the February 7 day cruise but that will allow you to book a VS on the October cruise, but no platinum status? Keep in mind that you will have all the benefits of a full suite in the VS suite which would be far greater than what you would receive as Platinum, so you won't need platinum status. :) Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are trying to do here?

It completely slipped my mind. Suite perks basically outweigh platinum status. Silly me. Thanks for reminding me.....:):):)

Simple!! Now you don't have to cancel. :D

Just fired off an email to my T/A to check on availibility and actual cost.

Giving up 7 days Mex for doing the 18 days in style? No only does the suite out-do the platinum perks, but then you will earn your Platinum in Oct. And when you are able to do the Mex trip in the future, you will have the platinum status at a port near your home.

Serves me right for not realizing this before I posted this thread. I gotta wait till my third cup of coffee in the AM before I start posting.....:):D:)

While suite perks may be nice, I'd rather go on two cruises than one.

I'm leaning toward this logic also..

Hi Bob

While no doubt about it suite perks are awesome, it still comes down to when it's all over and just another completed cruise, have you really experienced anything meaningfully different or lasting that would warrant missing out on one additional cruise ?

I can't think of any cruise I've ever done that I would have stayed home because I had to book a lesser cabin catagory. I've personally loved all the different catagories and experiences we booked over the years from insides to suites , but the thing I've love most, is just being able to cruise.

So if it's two "good" cruise's versus "one" suite, for us I think it would be quanity not quality :)

It's tough and personal choice

Srpilo

Bob, it's the old quality vs quantity thing. For us, we could cruise several times a year, or once or twice in a full suite. We will take the suite and cruise less. The memories are so much sweeter. ;)

Hi Toto,

I would love to hear why you feel this way. I have not been in a suite but sometimes think about booking a suite despite the cost and forgoing some other things. I just wasn't sure the "suite experiene" warranted foregoing another cruise or other things I might be using that money for. I would really love to hear your thoughts on this and it would probably help Bob as well.

Thanks

Hi Toto,

I would love to hear why you feel this way. I have not been in a suite but sometimes think about booking a suite despite the cost and forgoing some other things. I just wasn't sure the "suite experiene" warranted foregoing another cruise or other things I might be using that money for. I would really love to hear your thoughts on this and it would probably help Bob as well.

Thanks

For us it's the quality of the cruising experience.

To give you an idea how all this started with us, let me explain a bit. We sailed on RCI from Sydney to Singapore many years ago in an outside cabin. What a great cruise with lots of wonderful ports (Eastern ports in Australia, Bali, Singapore). The following year we received a brochure offer and booked a junior suite for the exact same sailing on the same ship. Shortly after booking we were upgraded to the grand suite (complimentary). We had sailed on this same ship, same itineary a year before, but the difference in those two cruises was unbelieveable. There was absolutely no comparison at all, the full suite was 100% better than the outside cabin we had the first time. We now barely remember that first cruise, but the second sailing in the full suite, even though it was years ago, we still talk about often. (so we compared two cruises, on the same ship, to the same ports, only in different accomodations). Along with the other cruises we have taken since, in full suites, for us it's just a much better experience. It's kind of like the difference between spending the week at a motel 6 compared to a 5 star hotel, IMHO!

So, we decided to try it with Princess after sailing in mainly balcony cabins, and then mini suites. Before all the great perks were offered by Princess is was very nice, but after they added the special suite perks, it was FANTASTIC. No more fighting the crowds for breakfast, Sabatinis was the perfect way to start the day. The extra space the suite afforded us was perfect, no more sitting on the bed in balcony cabins, lots of extra storage space, a curtain to close off the sleeping area so if one of us wakes up before the other, we don't disturb the others rest, the jacuzzi tub and seperate shower, usually a large (at least partially covered) balcony, and on and on with the great additions to the full suites. There are just so many nice perks offered with full suites on Princess now, it really enhances the cruising experience for us, and we make even better memories. Even though we receive 90% of the same perks as Elite members of the Captain's Circle, just the few extra suite perks make a huge difference for us.

Yes, it is expensive to book full suites on Princess, but for us, as said, we would rather cruise less and go in style, then go more often and not enjoy it as much.

For us it's the quality of the cruising experience.

To give you an idea how all this started with us, let me explain a bit. We sailed on RCI from Sydney to Singapore many years ago in an outside cabin. What a great cruise with lots of wonderful ports (Eastern ports in Australia, Bali, Singapore). The following year we received a brochure offer and booked a junior suite for the exact same sailing on the same ship. Shortly after booking we were upgraded to the grand suite (complimentary). We had sailed on this same ship, same itineary a year before, but the difference in those two cruises was unbelieveable. There was absolutely no comparison at all, the full suite was 100% better than the outside cabin we had the first time. We now barely remember that first cruise, but the second sailing in the full suite, even though it was years ago, we still talk about often. (so we compared two cruises, on the same ship, to the same ports, only in different accomodations). Along with the other cruises we have taken since, in full suites, for us it's just a much better experience. It's kind of like the difference between spending the week at a motel 6 compared to a 5 star hotel, IMHO!

So, we decided to try it with Princess after sailing in mainly balcony cabins, and then mini suites. Before all the great perks were offered by Princess is was very nice, but after they added the special suite perks, it was FANTASTIC. No more fighting the crowds for breakfast, Sabatinis was the perfect way to start the day. The extra space the suite afforded us was perfect, no more sitting on the bed in balcony cabins, lots of extra storage space, a curtain to close off the sleeping area so if one of us wakes up before the other, we don't disturb the others rest, the jacuzzi tub and seperate shower, usually a large (at least partially covered) balcony, and on and on with the great additions to the full suites. There are just so many nice perks offered with full suites on Princess now, it really enhances the cruising experience for us, and we make even better memories. Even though we receive 90% of the same perks as Elite members of the Captain's Circle, just the few extra suite perks make a huge difference for us.

Yes, it is expensive to book full suites on Princess, but for us, as said, we would rather cruise less and go in style, then go more often and not enjoy it as much.

Thank you for your thoughts. I have two cruises booked for 2011 but you have given me some things to think about in regards to booking a 2012. I'm thinking I should possibly book an itinerary I haven't done that I've wanted to do and book a suite. I'm not married so typically travel with friends or family so would have to have someone agree with this thought process. I'm in sales so because I'm salary and commission this gives me some extra motivation to make those top commissions. I really would love to experience a suite. I know when I went from cruising in a balcony cabin to a mini-suite I enjoyed just that much of an upgrade and loved that extra cabin and balcony space. I guess I'll have to start researching those 2012 sailings and see who, in my life, might want to enjoy the suite experience.

Thanks again, for your thoughts.

I know when I went from cruising in a balcony cabin to a mini-suite I enjoyed just that much of an upgrade and loved that extra cabin and balcony space.

We felt the exact same way. We sailed on the Grand just a few months after she debuted in our first mini suite on Princess, and we were delighted. But after years of mini suites, and them all being pretty much exactly the same as the next, we also just needed a change. ;)

I'm with Dreamer333.

I'm "only" Platinum, and have never sailed in anything higher than a minisuite ................. BUT, I have loved every cruise, no matter the accomodations, and would definitely opt for 2 cruises in balconies or minis over going for just one in a suite.

Some day I MIGHT get to cruise in a suite (of course that will require winning the PowerBall!), and might feel differently after the experience.

But for now, I figure, with all the places I have been on the wonderful cruises I have taken ....... priceless!!

Archived