Platinum and Elite Meetings

nimiq

Pam...don't they also allow you to bring a guest to the Captain's most traveled party?

I've only been once but seem to recall that was the case. If so, then if it's okay for this more exlusive party then why not the nightly Skywalkers Elite/Plat/Suite party? We rarely attend before late traditional dinner but have read that it's rarely crowded.

I have no idea. The only time I have any experience with that was a couple of years ago when we were traveling with our kids and were invited to a most-traveled cocktail party. My sister, BIL and I were all invited and my sister asked if the three "kids" could come too. There was no problem with that, apparently but then they were family members traveling with us. I don't remember if my invitation to the most-traveled luncheon last January said I could bring a guest. I'll have to dig out my folder and see if I kept the invitation.

As it stands now, from my experience, you can being guests to the Platinum/Elite area for pre-dinner drinks. I've never seen anyone turned away and most of the time, no one is there checking. Common courtesy would preclude someone from bringing a group in who aren't qualified for this perk but that hasn't stopped people in the past.

So lets see - they put out some appetizers just before dinner time, and they have ONE reduced price umbrella type drink (all others are normal price) - I wonder why there isn't a huge turn out.

On the Royal earlier this year we didn't go once in the 14 days because we were assigned early seating - the "cocktail party" started at 5 - with dinner at 6.

If it wasn't a "status" thing there would probably be even fewer folks showing up.

I totally agree.

I have been Elite ever since they started that level and I have never heard of these parties in Sky walkers. I have also had a suite three times in the past and have another this coming November. Is this meeting posted in the Patter?

I have been Elite ever since they started that level and I have never heard of these parties in Sky walkers. I have also had a suite three times in the past and have another this coming November. Is this meeting posted in the Patter?

Not in the Patter.

Check with the CC Host onboard.

Nope. Only indication is a card in your room on embarkation day. After all they wouldn't want a flood of people attending.

No, it's not listed in the Patter since it's a loyalty program perk. You are supposed to receive a card in your cabin with an invitation and a list of the daily special hors d'oeurves. I didn't get one on the Coral last January although my sister and BIL did, and I didn't get one on my recent Crown cruise.

It's not really a party; just an area set aside where they have veggies with ranch dressing, cheese and crackers, etc. set up. There's a drink special each night for $2.99 but other than that, drinks are the normal price. On ships with Skywalkers, it's in there from 5-7; on the Coral and Island Princess, it's in the back of the Explorer's Lounge. On the Coral, they had a very nice set-up with something special each night like huge shrimp with cocktail sauce, salmon, guacamole and chips, brie, etc. On our recent Crown cruise, it was very poor, with just small slices of cheese, crackers (some of which were sealed in plastic), broccoli/cauliflower and ranch dressing, etc. It wasn't worth it to us to go up there for these options. It was like an office party with a $10 budget. :(

I don't quite understand about the worry that its not well attended.

We don't go there hoping that there are tons of people.

We enjoy the quiet relaxing atmosphere.

So what if there are only 3 or 4 other couples. :)

Yes we like the quiet atmosphere. We use to like crooners but now it seems that the atrium music is sooo loud you can't always enjoy a drink and conversation.

This is suppose to be a perk for people who cruise alot. I wish they would start checking. It's nice when it isn't very crowded - it's nice to be able to hear what people are talking about.

On most of our cruises they have checked our cards, until they have gotten know the passengers. (As long as someone is in a cabin with the elite/platinum person there has not been any problems with them attending. And even the captains circle party allows you to take a cabin mate) As far as the luncheon, always check with the CC Hostess before turning up with a guest. Most of those invitations have the names of the people invited. If your cabin mate is not invited and you turn up and there is no place for them it would be embarrasing to have them leave. But if you check beforehand I am sure they would let you take the guest.

Always read the the info that is in your cabin. If it is not there than talk to the CC Hostess. And you can always go up to Skywalkers and join in if you have your cabin card with you. On one cruise it was an invitation every night in our mail(one time two invitations for the same night) and one night no invitation but already knew about it. The last several cruises it has just been a card a little larger than the "Dine Card" (that has rest & bar hours).

PAM, just order a drink or two before last call of the Skywalkers cocktail hour and tell them you want to pay for it during that time and have it served to you later.:D Someone posted they bought the drink special one night for the rest of the cruise.

Below is the selection that was offered during our recent cruise on the Caribbean Princess. The Elite/Platinum cocktail parties in Skywalkers were held from 5-7PM each night except Tuesday and Wednesday. Specialty drink of the night was $2.99.

Saturday: Guacamole w/Tortilla Chips, Margarita

Sunday: Beef Tartare w/Melba Toast, Rob Roy

Monday: Smoked Salmon w/Toast Points, Chairman of the Board

Thursday: Raclette Cheese w/Croutons, Port

Friday: Herb Marinated Goat Cheese w/Rosemary Flatbread, Brezza Marina

In addition to the nightly appetizer, there was also a selection of cheese, crackers, and olives. Very nice.

Ditto on the Royal first 2 weeks of Sept and the 2nd week was a

duplicate of the first week including drink specialties. Not too exciting!:rolleyes:

Surely they come up with something different on cruises longer than 14

days.

Normally, I agree with you but, for instance, we (my sister and I) are cruising in January with my daughter and my sister's two sons. Both my sister and I are Elite, my daughter is Platinum and one cruise away from Elite, one of my nephews will be Platinum on this cruise. My other nephew is one away from Platinum. Should he be left out or we have to go elsewhere because he wouldn't be allowed in?

there should always be an exception to the rules :eek:

When we were on the Golden in March, there was one of the staff checking cruise cards at the top of the escalator for the first few nights, and then doing spot checking the rest of the cruise.

The foods were pretty tasty ....... especially the guacamole, and some of the cheeses.

...don't they also allow you to bring a guest to the Captain's most traveled party?

I've only been once but seem to recall that was the case. If so, then if it's okay for this more exlusive party then why not the nightly Skywalkers Elite/Plat/Suite party? We rarely attend before late traditional dinner but have read that it's rarely crowded.

When my sister and I cruised on the Emerald last October (Halloween week), I specifically asked the CC Hostess about whether my sister was welcome at the nightly cocktail gatherings in Skywalkers and the Captain's Circle Party. I was told that it was fine for my sister to accompany me to Skywalkers for cocktails, and a new invitation that included my sister's name was sent to our stateroom for the Captain's Circle Party.

If DH and/or I ever have enough cruises/days at sea and are invited to the "Most Traveled Passenger" luncheon, I would consider it inappropriate to bring a guest who has been on few Princess cruises and probably wouldn't even inquire about whether or not this was acceptable. I've heard that this is a very special event and available to a select group of passengers on each cruise. jmo

Chris

Do they have these cocktail parties on cruises from Australian ports. We were on Dawn Princess last year Southampton to Sydney 52 nights and there wasn't one night on that cruise. By the way - we have been Elite for some time and haven't come accross this yet.

They had it on Diamond Princess when she was cruising from Australian ports. Not sure about the Dawn and Sun, as we sailed on them before this was introduced.

I have a feeling they are not, as there really isnt a lounge they could set aside.

Do they have them on the smaller ships , like Pacific, Royal and Ocean?

On our recent Crown cruise, it was very poor, with just small slices of cheese, crackers (some of which were sealed in plastic), broccoli/cauliflower and ranch dressing, etc.

That's too bad. We were impressed with the lounge on the Ruby last year...until we were on the Crown, where it was really very nice, and we could tell that it was set up with a great deal of pride by someone. Maybe that 'someone' has gone home for a few months?

I truly wish Princess would lose those crackers in wrappers except when serving soup. They used to serve them with the cheese plate in the dining room, which I thought was tacky. Either they've changed that to the lovely walnut bread on all their ships, or they just offer the bread on the Emerald, Ruby and Crown. Either way, the cheese plates now are a highlight of most dinners for me, and I don't miss the crackers one bit.

Add me to those who think the lounge really should just be for Elite, Suite and Platinum members and their cabin mates. JMHO, but I know it will never happen. I am left to frequently wonder why it is that people never want to consider standing in the non-Elite line at check-in, waiting for a tender ticket with everyone else or enjoying one of the many other lounges on the ship when they're traveling with a group. They always want to bring the group with them to enjoy those amenities?!?

They had it on Diamond Princess when she was cruising from Australian ports. Not sure about the Dawn and Sun, as we sailed on them before this was introduced.

I have a feeling they are not, as there really isnt a lounge they could set aside.

We just returned from the Royal, 14 days to AK, and it was available every

evening except formal nights in either Sabatini's or the Sterling.

Since these two dining options are only available on alternate nites,

they used the dining area of the one that was closed that evening. The

location was lovely and it was never that busy, just not that enticing

even though we had the late seating.

DH especially enjoyed these cocktail hours on the Star last year. He usually went up ahead while I finished dressing. Our cabin was near the aft elevators, and I think that makes a difference when these cocktail hours are on the larger ships. Skywalkers can be a pretty long jaunt for those in forward cabins. I also found Skywalkers to be VERY cool at all times of the day, so, ladies, you might want to be sure to take a wrap of some kind. It was never very crowded, and we enjoyed the quiet and beautiful views from up there.

We took our friends with us to Skywalkers on Grand in August. They are new to Princess but we always ordered the cocktails. Again it was never busy.

I have seen a young lady accompanying her grandmother to the Most Travelled Passenger cocktail party. She was on her first cruise but invited as a guest of her grandmother.

Yes, the Platinum/Elite/Suite cocktail parties are held on the small ships. They are in Sabatinis or the Steakhouse, whichever one is not open for dinner that night.

Our cabin was near the aft elevators, and I think that makes a difference when these cocktail hours are on the larger ships.

I agree. We are also generally toward the aft elevators, and find it very easy to slip up to Skywalkers. Since we generally book inside cabins, Skywalkers has become one of our favorite places to watch sailaway and sometimes sunset, depending on the the timing. But, as others have said, the drinks are not free (and we really aren't big drinkers anyways), so if we had to walk from Deck 5 forward, I'm not sure we would make the effort either.

I guess we've been lucky with the hors doerves...they've alway been at least good and sometimes excellent. There was a whole wheat combination cookie/cracker on the Crown that was to die for. Enjoyed with a little cheese, it was perfect.

I have seen a young lady accompanying her grandmother to the Most Travelled Passenger cocktail party. She was on her first cruise but invited as a guest of her grandmother.

Princess doesn't bother to check anyone who line up for the repeaters parties. They assume that if you're on line you must have been invited and if they do ask for the invitation just tell them it's in your room.

Wrong party. She is talking about the 30 or so most travelled passenger luncheon, not the Captains Circle cocktail party.

At the Most Travelled Passenger luncheon they definitely ask for your name as there are assigned seats.

Archived