Recent dining disappointment (Monarch)

SpeedGeek

One moment... *dons flame retardant suit*

Ok, so I'm back from my latest cruise on the Monarch of the Seas, and for the first time, I was not completely satisfied. Primarily my issues revolved around dining. I feel that RCCL can take a few steps to make the dining experience a little better.

At our first dinner, my friend and I are seated with two married couples (we're both single guys). This wouldn't seem too terrible, but one couple was 10 years older than us, and the other about 35 years older. Conversation about ourselves just seemed strained since we were all in different stages of life. On the cruise in August, a friend and I were seated with a mother, grandmother, and two young children. It seems to me that since RCCL specifically asks for ages in reservations that they could try to more adequately seat similar people. Just an observation.

On formal night, my biggest disappointment. We arrive on time and dressed nicely, and unfortunately our tablemates sought food elsewhere. No big deal, and we get our orders in quite quickly, including two glasses of wine to go with the meal. The glasses are removed from the table and returned with what I hope is the wine I ordered and have apparently been spilled as there is wine all over the glassware (Be glad that didn't cost extra I might hear some say ;) ). I'm told that this is how it is always done for wine by the glass; however, my waiter on the August cruise did bring the bottle to present and pour when I ordered by the glass. In any case, I do believe that it wouldn't be too much trouble to do so, and it certainly is not acceptable to have to wipe down the glass after receiving it.

We complete our appetizers and look forward to the main course. We wait. And wait. Meanwhile tables on all sides of us are receiving their meals and desserts (even after ordering after us). Over an hour after arriving, we had still only received our appetizers, and no reason was presented as to why. I felt as if we were glossed over by the staff. This feeling persisted the remaining two nights from our waiter as well as the section head waiter.

I made my feelings known through the guest satisfaction survey. My cabin mate, with this being his first cruise, took a more drastic route of not leaving tips for the waitstaff. I still love the Monarch, but man oh man I wish I'd gotten my request for Ranko as my waiter. I think our dining experience would have been wholly different.

Am I being too picky?

Bummer. But you might have learned some valuable life experience when sitting and talking to us older folks :p (I'm 61 :eek:.)

As far as not getting served, you had every right to get up, seek out the Maitre'd and a very quiet tone, ask him if there was a problem with your orders. I am sure you would not have had to wait long.

All in all, I am glad to enjoyed the rest of your cruise.

Thanks for sharing your experience. A few comments, I order wine by the glass quite often and have never had the bottle brought to the table, they always just bring my glass of wine. As far as table mates, you can request to be moved the next night if you do not like your table. We don't have an issue sitting with older couples or younger, it is really a personal thing, get moved next time. Waiting an hour for your dinners is unacceptable. Did you question your wait staff about the delay? Unless I was in MTD, you should have been on the same timing as everyone else.

Bummer. But you might have learned some valuable life experience when sitting and talking to us older folks :p (I'm 61 :eek:.)

As far as not getting served, you had every right to get up, seek out the Maitre'd and a very quiet tone, ask him if there was a problem with your orders. I am sure you would not have had to wait long.

All in all, I am glad to enjoyed the rest of your cruise.

Haha, hey, I'm all for some life lessons!

We did enjoy the rest of the cruise, and two things came out of it... my friend does want to cruise again, and now he wants to buy a jet ski. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing your experience. A few comments, I order wine by the glass quite often and have never had the bottle brought to the table, they always just bring my glass of wine. As far as table mates, you can request to be moved the next night if you do not like your table. We don't have an issue sitting with older couples or younger, it is really a personal thing, get moved next time. Waiting an hour for your dinners is unacceptable. Did you question your wait staff about the delay? Unless I was in MTD, you should have been on the same timing as everyone else.

Ok, maybe I was spoiled by Ranko. We were close to the galley doors, so maybe it was easy for him to do that in August. :D

I'd feel terrible about moving to another table for slighting the people I'm seating with (even if not intentional). It wasn't a big deal, but I do wonder if RCCL can use the information on reservations to bring similar people together.

The wait staff simply said that there was a delay in the kitchen and they would serve us shortly. *shrug* The food was warm when it came out at least :D

two glasses of wine to go with the meal. The glasses are removed from the table and returned with what I hope is the wine I ordered and have apparently been spilled as there is wine all over the glassware (Be glad that didn't cost extra I might hear some say ;) ). I'm told that this is how it is always done for wine by the glass; however, my waiter on the August cruise did bring the bottle to present and pour when I ordered by the glass. In any case, I do believe that it wouldn't be too much trouble to do so, and it certainly is not acceptable to have to wipe down the glass after receiving it.

Yes, it is reasonable to expect any spilled wine to have been wiped from the glass. However, I cannot recall ever having the bottle brought to the table to be presented, and then the wine poured in front of me, when I have ordered wine by the glass, whether on a cruise ship or a land-based restaurant. If a waiter did that on a past cruise as you said, consider it the exception not the rule for wine.

As for whether it is too much trouble to do so, keep in mind that if you order wine by the glass, and the waiter brings the bottle to the table to show it to you and pour your wine, that bottle is not available for the other waiters to pour from until your waiter takes it back to the service bar. And for a restaurant the size of a cruise ship dining room, that could be a real inconvenience given the size of the room and the number of other waitstaff.

I've never been presented with a bottle before, either. The server probably bobbled the tray, but should have at least cleaned off the bottom of the glass before putting it down in front or you (I don't think I'd want them wiping the bowl of the glass, certainly not around the rim, with a dishtowel).

As for the slow service, that's inexcusable. We've had dinners where our table drew the short straw, and the headwaiter was nowhere to be seen. The next night he sauntered by and we made sure that he knew the pace was unacceptable. He pitched in and it picked up a bit, but it was maddening to see the table next to us (with a bunch of our CC friends) with a more efficient waitstaff.

And I don't know why you would feel strained just because of an age difference. Some of our best tables have had ages ranging from 20s to late 60s. I always find it fun to get other generations' perspectives on things. :)

He pitched in and it picked up a bit, but it was maddening to see the table next to us (with a bunch of our CC friends) with a more efficient waitstaff.

I did a Disney cruise with my daughter and we had the dullest wait staff. It was definitely maddening to see the next tables over having a blast with their waiters, who really played to the kids.

I think if I'd gotten a wet wine glass I would politely ask for two new empty glasses and then pour the wine in them myself. The waiter would get the message, for next time at least.

Bummer your experience wasn't terrific.

I'd feel terrible about moving to another table for slighting the people I'm seating with (even if not intentional).

I recently saw a post that handled a similar situation. They found that conversations

between table mates was lacking. They as I and enjoy the table

exchanges with other guests (We always ask to be seated at a large table).

They had their table changed and made sure they stopped by the old table and informed them

that they met old aquaintances and they were joining them in the MDR.

No hard feelings - No uneasiness if they meet their old tablemates during the cruise.

If one of the reasons for moving was due to SLOW service, I would tell them that was

the reason for the change.

I'd feel terrible about moving to another table for slighting the people I'm seating with (even if not intentional).

I recently saw a post that handled a similar situation. They found that conversations

between table mates was lacking. They as I and enjoy the table

exchanges with other guests (We always ask to be seated at a large table).

They had their table changed and made sure they stopped by the old table and informed them

that they met old aquaintances and they were joining them in the MDR.

No hard feelings - No uneasiness if they meet their old tablemates during the cruise.

If one of the reasons for moving was due to SLOW service, I would tell them that was

the reason for the change.

We just got off Monarch this morning, and our experience in the MDR was 180 degrees different than yours. Very attentive and professional waitstaff. Even the head waiter stopped by midway through each meal to make sure everything was ok, brought us rolls, refilled our almost full water glasses. The only glitch was the two glasses of Chianti that were delivered with a bit of spill on the stems. Our waiter cleaned the stems before he let the wine steward set thm down.

BTW, IMO, Jade and the Black Rock grill should be on every one of RCI's ships - outstanding

Ok...two ways to avoid what you went through.

1) Request a "two top" table seating.

2) If you are going to order 2 glasses of wine....why not order the bottle, and save some money? You can have it re-corked, and enjoyed for the next night. There is barely 4 nice sized glasses in a bottle. Restaurants and cruise ships make a ton of money on "by the glass" servings.

I've never been presented with a bottle before, either. The server probably bobbled the tray, but should have at least cleaned off the bottom of the glass before putting it down in front or you (I don't think I'd want them wiping the bowl of the glass, certainly not around the rim, with a dishtowel).

As for the slow service, that's inexcusable. We've had dinners where our table drew the short straw, and the headwaiter was nowhere to be seen. The next night he sauntered by and we made sure that he knew the pace was unacceptable. He pitched in and it picked up a bit, but it was maddening to see the table next to us (with a bunch of our CC friends) with a more efficient waitstaff.

And I don't know why you would feel strained just because of an age difference. Some of our best tables have had ages ranging from 20s to late 60s. I always find it fun to get other generations' perspectives on things. :)

Yes, your service really did stink that cruise, didn't it?

SpeedGeek, you have received much sage advice here..............from some older folks. ;) You should never hesitate to escalate a complaint/problem up the ladder. Speak to the headwaiter, speak to the Maitre D'. Changing tables is so very common that you shouldn't "feel funny" for asking.

I'm glad that your friend wants to cruise again. Good luck with that jet ski thing. :rolleyes:

:)

Funny about the age difference... My DH and I have been seated (we're mid 30's) with people about 10 years older and things just didn't mesh. When we've been seated with people 20-30 years older we usually have a great time! I really think it comes down to individuals. We can potentially get along well with people of all ages, but that is just how it seems to go for us.

I don't know that it was definitely the age difference - as maybe just that you didn't "click" with them. I totally agree with asking to have your table changed - and also buying wine by the bottle. And I would have been upset w/a sticky glass as well. The service you received in the MDR would have led me to leave less of a gratuity at the end of it all.

Glad everything else went okay tho! :)

The advice that runs constant on these Boards about poor service is to elevate it to the next level of management until it is resolved. Your cruise is a finite and RCL really wants you to be more than satisfied. Sorry about your experience!

We just got off Monarch this morning, and our experience in the MDR was 180 degrees different than yours. Very attentive and professional waitstaff. Even the head waiter stopped by midway through each meal to make sure everything was ok, brought us rolls, refilled our almost full water glasses. The only glitch was the two glasses of Chianti that were delivered with a bit of spill on the stems. Our waiter cleaned the stems before he let the wine steward set thm down.

BTW, IMO, Jade and the Black Rock grill should be on every one of RCI's ships - outstanding

What is Black Rock grill? I haven't heard of it.

Ok...two ways to avoid what you went through.

1) Request a "two top" table seating.

2) If you are going to order 2 glasses of wine....why not order the bottle, and save some money? You can have it re-corked, and enjoyed for the next night. There is barely 4 nice sized glasses in a bottle. Restaurants and cruise ships make a ton of money on "by the glass" servings.

"two top"? Does that mean a two person table? We want to be seated with others, I was just mentioning that since RCI takes demographic data with the reservation, this is one area that information could be used.

I was using my coupon for a free glass of wine, so I spent 11$ for two glasses rather than 22$. I figure why not use the value booklet to the maximum I can (I still hate seeing that Johnny Rockets coupon when I'm on the Monarch...) :D

Yes, your service really did stink that cruise, didn't it?

SpeedGeek, you have received much sage advice here..............from some older folks. ;) You should never hesitate to escalate a complaint/problem up the ladder. Speak to the headwaiter, speak to the Maitre D'. Changing tables is so very common that you shouldn't "feel funny" for asking.

I'm glad that your friend wants to cruise again. Good luck with that jet ski thing. :rolleyes:

:)

I really don't have a problem with older folks... like someone else said, there just wasn't a 'click'. No big deal, we still had a great time when they were at the table. :D I don't want anyone thinking I'm 'ageist' :o

As for the Jet Ski... hahaha... he's been talking about it nonstop since we got back. :rolleyes:

My previous two trips on the Monarch were excellent, especially with Ranko serving us in August. Fantastic waiter, and apparently went above and beyond considering the wine bit :D

I still want to try Jade at some point to do the hot rock cooking, but gotta go cruising with someone who is willing to dish out the cash for it since there's free food in the MDR. :rolleyes:

Well said (as usual) Critterchick! And who is that gorgeous creature in your new avatar? Reading your posts over the years, I've loved all of your "avatar stars", but I have to confess that my favorite was "broom-kitty" :p

SpeedGeek -- I am sorry to hear that you had problems with service on Monarch. Concur with those who have advised you to speak up, when you have problems in the future. Oh, and if you decide that Monarch is just not the ship for you -- please, please, please tell the folks at RC to send her back to us in SoCal. We miss her so much!! :(

Well said (as usual) Critterchick! And who is that gorgeous creature in your new avatar? Reading your posts over the years, I've loved all of your "avatar stars", but I have to confess that my favorite was "broom-kitty" :p

SpeedGeek -- I am sorry to hear that you had problems with service on Monarch. Concur with those who have advised you to speak up, when you have problems in the future. Oh, and if you decide that Monarch is just not the ship for you -- please, please, please tell the folks at RC to send her back to us in SoCal. We miss her so much!! :(

Pfft. I love the Monarch. You can't have her. :p

Thanks again to everyone for their insight. Now to figure out when to cruise again before next October... :D

"two top"? Does that mean a two person table? We want to be seated with others, I was just mentioning that since RCI takes demographic data with the reservation, this is one area that information could be used.

I was using my coupon for a free glass of wine, so I spent 11$ for two glasses rather than 22$. I figure why not use the value booklet to the maximum I can (I still hate seeing that Johnny Rockets coupon when I'm on the Monarch...) :D

Yup, "two top" is restaurant speak for a two person table. In the past we have had fabulous luck with the people we have met on earlier cruises, and ended up spending a lot of time and shore excursions with them. Unfortunately the last 2 cruises ended up being a mis-match of table mates.

We like to have lively conversations, and had been paired on one cruise with very dull table mates, that complained about everything. Then the worst cruise was the couple that must be on the verge of divorce. Very embarrassing to all who were seated at the table. Table for eight, turned into just the compative couple and the two of us, as the others chose to eat in the Windjammer after that.

We finally moved to a "two top" and enjoyed our "romantic evenings" with just the two of us.

And, yes, I would have been happy to have that wine coupon too! :)

What is Black Rock grill? I haven't heard of it.

It's part of Jade. When you order your entree, they bring it to you (deconstructed) on a large platter with a black volcanic rock in the middle that's been heated to 575 degrees. The meat is on one side of the platter (raw) and on the other side are your vegetables. They also bring a tray of dipping sauces and a side of rice. You season the meat to your own taste, and then cook it exactly to your liking on the rock. I had the 8oz filet, and DW had the tuna, and we split them between us. Since we both like our meat cooked and seasoned a bit different, we were both able to cook them to our own tastes.

Archived