Voyager 2010 Fall Crossing

WesW

We arrived on the voyager at noon, within five minutes we had our suite security card and two glasses of champagne. Seamless embarkation...we then had a delightful lunch at La Veranda. At 2:30pm, we were unpacking our clothes in our suite, and within ten minutes our stewardess, Elsie introduced herself and asked what she could do for us. Could not believe the champagne in our suite at 2:30PM waiting for us was ice cold Veuve Cliqout, then at 6pm room service delivered the largest prawns/shrimp we have ever seen for appetizers (this was spontaneous, we did not request these)

We had our Voyager block party between 6 -6:30pm and met our deck neighbors. I left at 6:28PM) JUST before the Capt and Cruise Director made it to our deck to go to the obsvn lounge for our meet and mingle...thanks to Jeff and Susan who had roped off a good area of the obsvn lounge we were able to accomodate our CC grp.;

At 6:30 there were eleven CC (22 folks) couples at our meet & mingle at the obsvn lounge we took a brief moment to have everyone introduce themselves & their CC screen names. Within the next 45 minutes we all went our separate ways to different dining venues. Rachel, (tom, (Orpington) and I talked about you--all very nice points)

About 8pm, Ida and I then left with David and Margareta for Prime 7 for the second best meal we have had at sea (our first was at Signatures in 2008 also on the voyager)..our main courses/desersts and wine service were exceptional. The Voyager is rocking and rolling--we are all just very happy to be on board.

Oh no, gossip about me! It better be pretty good stuff.

You all have a great time. It sounds like a wonderful start.

Orpington, I told Jon that you and Barbara are on the TA. He is jealous, esp since he has to go to school.

Looked at your ports. The only one I have visited is Malaga, the site of our infamous aborted car tour. We made it 10 miles away from the Avis office, only to have the car die a horrible death on the expressway. Fortunately, my Spanish was adequate to get us back to Malaga and salvage the day. Highly rec eating lunch in town, preferably outside, and watching the world go by.

Granada is also good if you are in for a longer tour--we went there on a land trip.

About 8pm, Ida and I then left with David and Margareta for Prime 7 for the second best meal we have had at sea (our first was at Signatures in 2008 also on the voyager)..our main courses/desersts and wine service were exceptional. The Voyager is rocking and rolling--we are all just very happy to be on board.

Wes,

I am glad to hear that you had a great meal there on the first night.

We will be on our first Regent soon and I read a discussion here about first night meals in some dining venues as being hit-and-miss.

We booked Prime 7 for our first night as well and hope ours is as good as yours was (what did you all have?).

Have a great and smooth crossing.

Paul

Maria, we did ask our dinner companions (David & Margareta) about the Veuve--they said, shhhh, it is because you are a different tier on Regent (they got Veuve too but they are titantium). I do not know why we got the Veuve but we will enjoy it tonight sailing away from Valencia. At the block party (6-6:30pm) last night (Captain Marco Sanquinetti when he was rushing by on Deck six (where our suite is located)) recognized Ida by name and kissed her on both cheeks (it has been exactly two years since we were last on the Voyager with Marco)..I missed him as I was at Obsvn Loung waiting for our meet & mingle to begin. A few min ago Marco came in the computer room to talk to Diego (IT guru) looked up saw me and said, the Captain right....almost, the retired Colonel from the right branch of service :).

Paul, our Prime 7 menu--we all started with an amuse bouche, everyone but me had the giant crab cakes for their appetizer, i had the portebello mushrooms stuffed with goat cheese, ceasar salad for David & Margareta, chopped salad for me; David and Margareta had the veal chop, Ida and I had a wonderfull-melt in your mouth slow roasted Prime Rib. Desert was difficult but someone has to do it...a sorbet medley.

Denise today was the start of another great crossing day in Valencia. Yesterday, Ida and I decided to canx our Valencia included excursion in favor of sleeping in to help catch up from Jet lag...we will do Valencia this pm (Ida fluency with Spanish will enhance our Valencia visit to the centrale mercado)...got a great first workout in this morning...80 min on the jogging track, 15 min on the eliptical and then a 15 min swim (pool is heated--I love it)...got to exercise to enjoy the absolutely endless delicious food and libations. Ida starts her Le Cordon Bleu workshop tomorrow (two groups of 10 each).

Sounds wonderful, Wes. I'll have to be on the alert for the Veuve when we board soon, although with the amount I drink these days we've have to find companions to help drink it.

We too are booked the first night in Prime 7. Looking forward to this, especially with our friend who has not been on Voyager before. I fully intend to have the Dover sole.

Do they have a recumbent bicycle in the gym? This is my new favorite; I usually do not exercise on board but I'm slowly becoming an addict--I might try some exercise classes too.

I don't wish to intrude, but my husband and I will be sailing along on the Voyager beginning tomorrow as well. This will be our first regent cruise and we're looking forward to the experience.

We arrived very early on Friday morning. After checking into our hotel (we had booked an extra night to be assured of early morning check-in) and cleaning up we had a great included breakfast. We're staying at the Hotel 1898, an elegant hotel located in the former headquarters of the Phillippine Tobacco Company. It's in a great location directly on La Rambla about a block from La Boqueria Market. On Friday we wandered through the Gothic Quarter until we were just too tired to walk anymore.

Yesterday we also took a private tour of the same sights as Wes and Ida. We did go to the Plaza de Catalunia late in the afternoon to see thousands of

young people gathered in the center of the square, waving yellow and white

banners in honor of the Pope's visit, and dancing. It was quite moving to see all the excitement. One young man told me we should share in the dance to show the"happiness at the visit of El Papa." Today we took a private tour southwest down the coast to Tarragona, once the Roman capital of this part of Spain, and now a UNESCO World Heritage site. There's much to see there. After leaving Tarragona we headed northward to Sitges which used to be a charming fishing village but is now home to a film festival, lovely beaches,

artsy stores and is a magnet for much of the European gay community. The town is charming with plenty of little restaurants along the seaside promenade.

We stopped for lunch with our guide and had a delectable paella.

Upon our return to Barcelona this evening we went to a favorite tapas restaurant in the Gothic Quarter. We had heard the stories of pickpockets there, but not once did we feel even a little uncomfortable, even when we

spent at least an hour in La Boqueria market.

In the past when we've been here we have visited Montserrat and Girona. We must say for the traveler coming here, there are no bad choices of destinations and things to do.

Now we're looking forward to our first glimpse of a Regent ship. The cabin we booked is in almost exactly the same location as what we have been booking on previous cruises and is also almost precisely the same size (750+ sq. Ft). We shall be interested in making comparisons.

We look forward to meeting our fellow cruisers over the next days.

Ann, enjoyed your post. May I ask which private tour company you used? I liked your agenda.

Do you post photos as well? Love to see pictures of where you've been....Thanks.

Hi Wes: So happy to be reading your posts and wishing you and Ida a super crossing. We are with you in spirit - our first Regent cruise was a crossing on Voyager and it remains one of our favorites. Veuve Cliquot - that's wonderful. Prime 7 sounds great.

Look forward to hearing all about your trip.

John and Kathy

First of all may I apologise for not posting earlier. However Wes has kept you well informed.

We also sayed at the Grand Marina, courtesy of Regent, and also were upgraded to a suite. The stay there was great, no bill at check-out, fantastic staff and a Regent rep both on our flight from the UK and with us until we boarded Voyager around midday. Seamless embarkation and it was all like coming home. We met several staff people we knew. A character some of you may know called Chimi who now appears covered in gold braid as he has been promoted to senior management. He darted over to greet us and asked to be remembered to our son and his wife, Paul and Eileen. Hambagahle, you may remember him. Then we found the CD is the South African lady, Dionne who came over with the Captain in tow, to say hallo!

It was great meeting all the CC ers last in the Obs Lounge and gossiping about you all! Col Wes and Ida are good company as are all the others.

The Regent staff are really excelling themselves. We visited the Lladro factory this morning and when we got off. the coach, a young man met us, insisted on taking over the wheelchair for the (quite long) push back to Voyager. Late, long lunch on the pool deck and at last got on-line to contribute to Wes's post.

First night meal in CR was superb, by the way Good choices, lovely wines and waiters somehow knowing what drinks we had at lunch time(Cognac & Baileys on ice) and asking if they could bring them for us again!

Rachel and Gerry & Ken. We do wish you were here with us, but you can't have everything!

Oh Tom!! You are with Dionne again - please give her my love and tell her that I hope she will be on the Navigator for our Jan 7th cruise (as she mentioned she might be...) What a great CD she is!

And I am so glad all worked out for you and Barbara in Barcelona.

Gerry

Oh Tom!! You are with Dionne again - please give her my love and tell her that I hope she will be on the Navigator for our Jan 7th cruise (as she mentioned she might be...) What a great CD she is!

And I am so glad all worked out for you and Barbara in Barcelona.

Gerry

Will do, Gerry. Barbara told me to tell you we can't go to Trivia without you because we never know the answers!

Lovely day today. We keep bumping into Wes. Firstly as he was emerging from the pool just after our breakfast. Then a few moments ago when he came in to sit behind me as I type! Good CR meal last night. Those soft shelled crabs are wonderful.

The guest lecturer is Hunter Davies who is well known, at least in the UK for his biographies of among others, the Beatles. That is the subject of his talks. We keep meeting staff members we know and true to Regent form they make you feel really at home.

Another glorious day here in Spain (Cartagena) on board the Voyager. Yesterday, Ida and I did our own walking tour of downtown Valencia with the help of the courtesy shuttle bus service provided by Regent. We saw the Four Towers, Basilica and (yes Maria) the Mercado Central (tho we did not buy any ham; we are waiting until we arrive in Funchal before getting more flowers (on arrival in our suite on Monday we had a beautiful floral arrangment of roses (pink/white) and carnations). Very nice sunny afternoon in Valencia (mid 60's). Last night was the Captain's welcome in the constellation theater where he introduced the Voyager staff. (plenty of champagne and canapes passed out by Regent staff in the theater) At about 7:30pm a few of us went up to the Observation Lounge for pre dinner drinks. Ann and Al (Sunviking) joined us for drinks in the Observation Lounge. Dinner in Compass Rose included (as Tom (orpington) decliciously pointed out above (soft shelled crab as one of the four appetizer selections), memorable main course we enjoyed--Lobster Tail and a mouth watering beef tenderloin paired respectfully with a delicious Voigner and the very tasty (red blend) Cline Cashmere (Grenacnhe, Syrah, Mourvedre).

This morning is delightfully warm and sunny (upper 60's) perfect choice for breakfast outside on the veranda in La Veranda. We will do our own walking tour of Cartagena after lunch.

T (mimoto4), will ask some of our CC clan here to post pix (Sunviking--pls check her signature for her blod link) is posting on her blog daily with pix) will post our pix on Facebook on return.

I do hope Hunter Davies is going down well - love reading his 'grumpy old man' stuff in the Sunday Times. It will be interesting to see if he reports on his wonderful cruise when he gets back!! At least he shouldn't be complaining about how much everything costs.

Ann, enjoyed your post. May I ask which private tour company you used? I liked your agenda.

Do you post photos as well? Love to see pictures of where you've been....Thanks.

We use Jose at PepitoTours. If you google that you will find him. He is excellent and he comes with a driver as well as a guide. The good thing about having both is he can accompany you into sights and give explanations.

I keep a blog where there are a few photos posted. Its at

http://finsatsea.blogspot.com/

When I get home I usually upload to a flickr website. It will be awhile before I can do that.

We've had another great day here in Cartagena. We took a tour to Elx (pronounced El - che) this morning. It's a UNESCO World Heritage site and was very interesting. There were some beautiful gardens which we were able to visit.

As Regent newbies, I have to say we have been very impressed with the food and service. The only thing that has been disappointing is that wi-fi is currently unavailable in the cabins, but evidently it's being worked on.

We've enjoyed meeting our fellow Cruise Critics. The meet aand mingle that Wes organized was very nice. One of the things we have especially liked on the ship is the Block Party. What a nice concept for meeting your neighbors!

Very nice pics on your blog, Sunviking! I especially like the food ones.

Orpington, I am hoping that the cognac and Bailey's on ice that you mention are two different drinks. A combination of both in the same glass sounds icky to me. Did you buy anything at the Lladro factory or just look?

Also glad they are looking after Barbara well.

Archived