Christmas Gifts for Employees

Mindy97

This will be my first time on a Christmas Cruise. I want to give my steward and wait staff gifts, and perhaps also those of the cruise staff I come in contact with. I know money is always appreciated, but how much? Or what else have you given?

How about cruise staff? Some small local trinket? A bunch of candy canes tied with a ribbon? More? Less? Nothing? I'm totally clueless.

Thanks,

M.

I'd stick to normal tipping (auto-tip + extra for over and above). That said, I think a cute little xmas item would be very appreciated, especially since they are away from home.

Your candy can idea sounds great, or some other xmas candy. For your steward, perhaps a holiday card...

This will be my first time on a Christmas Cruise. I want to give my steward and wait staff gifts, and perhaps also those of the cruise staff I come in contact with. I know money is always appreciated, but how much? Or what else have you given?

How about cruise staff? Some small local trinket? A bunch of candy canes tied with a ribbon? More? Less? Nothing? I'm totally clueless.

Thanks,

M.

I've been on Christmas cruises before. On one I brought small (about 8"x8" "month at a glance" calendars (easily wrapped & packed and even though there is extremely limited cabin space I thought it'd be nice), on another festive cellophane bags with candy and money in them. I've also brought Florida citrus candies.

It is my understanding that the staff appreciate candy, since they get it so infrequently. So last Christmas when we were on the Golden Princess, we brought boxes of Christmas peppermint chocolates and candy for our room steward and dining room waiters. We added a $20 bill to each of these.

Or room steward must have appreciated this, because on Christmas Eve we found felt stockings in the cabin for our kids, filled with a bunch of Princess pillow chocolates. Needless to say, the kids loved it!

Or room steward must have appreciated this, because on Christmas Eve we found felt stockings in the cabin for our kids, filled with a bunch of Princess pillow chocolates. Needless to say, the kids loved it!

Hi Helen! Just realized who this post was from. We got them too!

I'm sure your gift to your steward was much appreciated, however the small stockings with the candy are provided to every passenger on Christmas Eve. Just another special Holiday touch from Princess. Wish you were with us again this year!

Yep, it's me! Did Scrapchick tell you that she and I are going to cruise the Holy Land together next year?

We enjoyed sailing to Hawaii last year, but really missed having Christmas at home. So this year we're sailing on the Coral through the Panama Canal, leaving December 30. That way we get Christmas at home, but New Year's onboard. Plus we get to see some new ports, and hit a new continent (South America). It makes for the perfect holiday vacation (for us) !

Wow... Princess gives those stockings to everyone? I thought the steward did it because it was a little 'slap-dash'... I mean, pillow chocolates? It's not like we don't get those every night. Ah well, at least Princess makes an effort. ;)

Yep, it's me! Did Scrapchick tell you that she and I are going to cruise the Holy Land together next year?

We enjoyed sailing to Hawaii last year, but really missed having Christmas at home. So this year we're sailing on the Coral through the Panama Canal, leaving December 30. That way we get Christmas at home, but New Year's onboard. Plus we get to see some new ports, and hit a new continent (South America). It makes for the perfect holiday vacation (for us) !

Wow... Princess gives those stockings to everyone? I thought the steward did it because it was a little 'slap-dash'... I mean, pillow chocolates? It's not like we don't get those every night. Ah well, at least Princess makes an effort. ;)

Yes I heard about your Holy Land cruise. Sounds amazing!! In past years we have gotten candy canes in the stockings as well, but last year it was just chocolates. Still a nice gesture though.

Try to be sensitive to the fact, too, that not all staff you encounter even celebrate Christmas...

Cash is always appreciated.

PC at its worse. If they dont celebrate Christmas and can't share in my happiness, there's no need to insult them with money, is there?

When we have cruised at Christmas, we always give extra cash with a non-religious card, usually one that states "Happy Holidays". Along with it we give them a small box of See's candy, they do seem to appreciate it. If they don't, they can pass it along to their friends.

I've had a couple crew actually get more excited about the card than the cash or candy. I think some of them who do celebrate Christmas like to have a bit of holiday decor in their cabin for a short time.

I've seen photos of the cabins some of the crew have to share. 3 to a cabin that is smaller then a college dorm room. I can't imagine they have room for any kind of gift. Their job is a real grind, and I'm sure most of them wouldn't do it unless they had to. Cash seems the best choice for that scenario. Perhaps candy, because it will likely be gone and out of the way quickly. I don't imagine the crew has room for tee shirts, or other gifts.

Donuts and cash.

Seriously, donuts. And cash.

Actually, on our last cruise, we happened to bump into our Cruise Director while in one of the ports. He had a box of donuts and some candy that he bought for the crew! He said they loved donuts and candy. This was in the middle of summer, so I'm sure they'd appreciate it at Christmas.

Because of space issues (my suitcase and their rooms), on our last Christmas cruise, I brought cards for our room staff and then a couple of boxes of candy canes. I made sure our room staff got some of the candy canes and then a made sure I had some with me all day and would give them to whatever staff I happened to see.

I know that not all of them celebrate Christmas but them seemed to genuinely appreciate the gesture

When we have cruised at Christmas, we always give extra cash with a non-religious card, usually one that states "Happy Holidays". Along with it we give them a small box of See's candy, they do seem to appreciate it. If they don't, they can pass it along to their friends.

I would like to point out that Christmas is inherently a religious holiday, even if you try to cloak it by sending "Happy Holidays" cards instead of religious card. Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ and if you do not believe in Christianity, receiving a holiday card is an insult to your beliefs.

I do not send you New Years cards on Yom Kippur. Don't send me "Happy Holidays" cards.

DON

Hmmm. If a Jewish person greeted me with "Happy Hannukah" or a similar greeting, I certainly would not be insulted or upset, as I would accept it as in the spirit of good will and with the desire of sharing a happy time, regardless of the religion involved. Sad that people can be so easily offended over what is a gesture of good will.

I think what is important here is that we all decide what we think in our hearts is all right to do and do it. If one of us feels that it isn't proper to give out Christmas gifts because we might offend someone else's religion then we shouldn't do it. But on the other hand if we feel like it is OK to hand out a non-religious cards with money and candy canes than we should do just that and not worry about what the other person thinks.

Our grandmother use to tell us to "follow your heart" and I think that applies here to.

I would like to point out that Christmas is inherently a religious holiday, even if you try to cloak it by sending "Happy Holidays" cards instead of religious card. Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ and if you do not believe in Christianity, receiving a holiday card is an insult to your beliefs.

I do not send you New Years cards on Yom Kippur. Don't send me "Happy Holidays" cards.

DON

I have to say that I don't agree with this at all.

I am Catholic and I have received a Hanukkah card from a Jewish friend.

I was please and flattered that he would take the time and think of me during his religious celebration.

I don't see it as an insult to my beliefs but as a compliment on my acceptance of others beliefs.

Just mu $0.02.

Lois

I think what is important here is that we all decide what we think in our hearts is all right to do and do it. If one of us feels that it isn't proper to give out Christmas gifts because we might offend someone else's religion then we shouldn't do it. But on the other hand if we feel like it is OK to hand out a non-religious cards with money and candy canes than we should do just that and not worry about what the other person thinks.

Our grandmother use to tell us to "follow your heart" and I think that applies here to.

But what if you're following your heart and what you decide to give is something the crew does not need or even want?;)

One time I saw a buffet worker waiting for a cab so I asked her where she was going........Walmart to buy LAUNDRY SOAP.

It might be a nice idea if someone feels the need to give something other than cash to ask the crew if there's anything they need that they might not have time to get when in port. It might be some very mundane item, like soap, but something they need.:)

Actually, on our last cruise, we happened to bump into our Cruise Director while in one of the ports. He had a box of donuts and some candy that he bought for the crew! He said they loved donuts and candy. This was in the middle of summer, so I'm sure they'd appreciate it at Christmas.

:)

Donuts.

Any time.

A Xmas, Ok, donuts with red and green sprinkles.

Archived