Reflections on a HAL Cruise by Frequent Princess Cruisers

mreasier

We just disembarked in Tampa from a 7 Day Western Caribbean cruise on the MS Ryndam. We had a great time and the weather was wonderful. While it is still fresh in our minds, we thought we would compare our experiences with our experiences on Princess. In the spirit of full disclosure, we must say that Princess has a special spot in our hearts – we got married on the Caribbean Princess in 2006. I am in my mid 60’s and my bride is in her late 50’s. We are active; going to the gym several times a week and walking several miles each day. We will also post this in the Princess forum.

First, let me say that we are talking about degrees of goodness – as I said, we had a great time.

Stateroom

We usually get an inside cabin. We prefer the darkness – not knowing what time it is in the morning helps us sleep later. We spend little time in the cabin except to change or sleep. We would rather spend the money on more cruises. We know it’s not for everyone, but we never feel claustrophobic even on multi-week cruises.

The stateroom on HAL was larger and had a better layout than the Princess Grand class ships we have been on. The sofa in the room made it more livable. I know it is a matter of great discussion, but we find the beds on both HAL and Princess to be very comfortable. The HAL beds are noticeably softer, but not so soft that they affected my chronic back problem. The harder beds on Princess are closer to what we normally prefer and we have always liked them and slept well on them. Storage space seemed comparable between the two lines.

There was one thing about the HAL cabin that was inconvenient – there was that no refrigerator. I have a medication that needs refrigeration. Our wonderful room steward kept a wine bucket full of ice so I could keep my medication cool. I understand that there are refrigerators on the cabins of other HAL ships.

Main Dining Room

The Open Seating on HAL worked well and was comparable to Princess Anytime Dining. We only had to wait one night and that was on the 1st formal night when we hit the dining room at peak period. Main dining room food quality on both lines is very good, but if we had to make a choice, we would vote for HAL. Coffee was an entirely different matter. We usually get decaf coffee with desert. It was normally quite good on Princess. It was undrinkable (bitter) on the Ryndam. Overall the service was fast and attentive and seemed comparable between the two lines.

Alternative Dining

We did not try the Pinnacle Grill. The complementary Canaletto on the Ryndam was a nice alternative. While not the dining experience of Sabatini’s on Princess there was a nice variety of tasty options available on the menu. We ate there twice and the second time we came, the maître d and the wine steward remembered our names – a nice touch.

Lido

This is where we noticed the biggest food difference between HAL and Princess. Quality and variety of food was comparable with perhaps a slight edge to HAL. However, the hours of service on HAL are much more limited. Lunch ends at 2:00 and dinner ends at 8:00. The 2:00 lunch termination is manageable since burgers, pizza, etc. are available by the pool and desserts and real ice cream are available until 5:00. We did not even consider eating dinner in the Lido. We normally start eating dinner somewhere around 8:00. We would have had to get there by 7:30 and then load up everything, including desserts before they closed at 8:00. The Lido buffet on Princess is open 24 hours. Maybe because they are newer ships, the Lido buffet areas on the Crown and Diamond Princess seemed plusher. Table service for drinks was more attentive on Princess. Lido coffee on both lines was fair to poor.

Service

Very good on both lines – no complaints at all. It did seem that more people remembered our names on HAL – perhaps because it was a much smaller ship.

Entertainment

Being a smaller ship, there was less variety of entertainment on the Ryndam. There was one show per night in the main showroom at 8:00 and repeated at 10:00. The main showroom was the only place where an actual show could be presented. On the last two Princess ships we were on, shows could be presented in the Theater, the Explorer lounge, and the Club Fusion. Most nights there were two different shows plus a third activity going on. The Crow’s Nest on HAL and Skywalker’s on Princess have similar concepts – dancing, Karaoke, etc. In general, there was more variety on Princess and activity seemed to go later into the evening. The quality of entertainment was comparable.

On Board Activity

Again, perhaps because it is a smaller ship compared to the Princess, there were fewer activities during sea days on the Ryndam. There were almost no pool side activities.

Ambiance

I guess to no one’s surprise the ambiance on the Ryndam was more quiet and sedate than on the Princess ships. While we are not looking for a “party ship” we would have liked a livelier atmosphere. At one port we shared the dock with a Carnival ship. While we were glad that some of the rowdy people who were only able to stumble back on their ship were not on our ship, we did enjoy the music coming from their pool deck. There was not a sound coming from the Ryndam. There was as no attempt to set a Caribbean tone by pool music, dancing, specialized buffet, etc. The atrium/piazza area on the Princess ships is a center of activity, day and night. The atrium area on the Ryndam was disturbingly quiet.

Conclusion

Would we sail HAL again? Yes, if the itinerary and price were good. Cruises with several consecutive sea days might keep us away because of fewer activities. If the cruise was port intensive we would be less hesitant. If price and itinerary were similar, we would definitely choose Princess.

Thanks for being such a neutral informed reporter. And you confirmed if price and itinerary were the same between HAL and Princess, we ourselves would continue picking HAL, because we like that very same low key, quiet atmosphere that you found was your biggest drawback over Princess. Others how like Celebrity also make similar observations - HAL is much more low key. And luckily for HAL that still has a lot of appeal for a lot of us.

What is particularly interesting is who at what time starting carving out these subtle cruise line differences. For us it is usually HAL would always have the better itinerary choices, always just one more port or more unique destinations over the Big Three: HAL, Celebrity and Princess. That is what keeps bringing us back to HAL over and over again.

I sincerely appreciated your review. Having sailed Princess in the past and with my first cruise and HAL upcoming, it was nice to see where you saw the comparisons. I truly enjoyed my Princess cruise to Alaska, so your comparison makes me that much more eager to try HAL to Alaska this time around.

Thank you for your review. Very well done and unbiased as possible:)

One of the things we like about HAL is the very interesting itineraries, the smaller ships and the smaller crowds. We have done Princess twice. Unfortunately my last experience has kept me away from that line.

Your comparisons were very interesting. thank you.:)

Did you know that you could rent a refrigerator for your cabin for a nominal fee?

No. I wish my cabin steward had mentioned it when I asked how I could keep my medication cool. He did a great job with the ice bucket!

No. I wish my cabin steward had mentioned it when I asked how I could keep my medication cool. He did a great job with the ice bucket!

Actually, it is best to reserve a small 'frig at the same time that you book your cruise as there is a limited supply onboard! The cost is $2 per day. :)

This brings up one of my biggest complaints about the cruise lines. (Not just HAL) The staff aren't instructed to offer a soluntion to a passengers problem. (The infirmary would have kept the bulk of your meds cool as well, and offered a sharps container, if necessary. All HAL ships have refridgerators in the veranda cabins and up, and it's something I miss when not "splurging" on one of those cabins. I brought back a glass of OJ every morning, and left it on the counter to drink in the afternoon. I don't think they instruct the room stewards to offer the revenue producing solution, when they see the OJ sitting there day after day...too bad. Another example is that they sell various "drink cards" but you really have to be in the "know" to ask for them. If someone is ordering Coke after Coke, wouldn't it be good business to help them get the best deal?

I don't want HAL to change to contests/games at the pool, but you are right, playing some music wouldn't interfer with sunbathers/readers, and would help to cover peoples conversations, group to group. With the chairs so close, I'd prefer not to hear other groups so clearly! With the new screen at the back Retreat on the Veendam and Rotterdam, why not play music videos all day while people are laying there? If you already own the screen, why not use it more?

Another example is that they sell various "drink cards" but you really have to be in the "know" to ask for them. If someone is ordering Coke after Coke, wouldn't it be good business to help them get the best deal?

IF they are ordering Coke after Coke at the same place otherwise to some cruisers it might be viewed as constantly being pitched some product and turn them off. I can imagine the reviews of those who specifically noted staff always trying to sell them some product or service so it's a delicate balance the staff try and find.

FWIW I have read on these boards that because of concerns about medication they call them "coolers" in the room rather than small fridges. It's too bad that both the room steward hadn't suggested renting a fridge at a nominal cost of that OP hadn't found that solution here on CC pre-cruise.

I also appreciated the fair & balanced review, especially from someone with a different perspective as a Princess cruiser. :)

For your unbiased and detailed review. Not having sailed Princess myself, I enjoyed the comparison for future reference. I would be interested in how you compare the room service menu. You mentioned the lack of open hours for the Lido on HAL compared to the 24 hour service on Princess. HAL however, does have a very diverse and complete room service menu ... perhaps that's why their hours are shorter at the Lido. Just curious since I've never seen a Princess room service menu. Perhaps someone else who has enjoyed both lines can answer this question. Thanks again for your wonderful review. The details you provided would definitely give me cause to try Princess.

We loved the 2 Princess cruises we were on. Met nice people, and enjoyed the time on board. If we were to have an issue at all it was in the main theater. We could never get seats for the shows. People would always reserve multiple seats for their friends. Might have been a one time on that cruise but it happened again on the second cruise as well. Never an issue on HAL or X. This would not stop us from sailing Princess again. All other aspects were similiar with a slight edge to HAL for personal service.

For your unbiased and detailed review. Not having sailed Princess myself, I enjoyed the comparison for future reference. I would be interested in how you compare the room service menu. You mentioned the lack of open hours for the Lido on HAL compared to the 24 hour service on Princess. HAL however, does have a very diverse and complete room service menu ... perhaps that's why their hours are shorter at the Lido. Just curious since I've never seen a Princess room service menu. Perhaps someone else who has enjoyed both lines can answer this question. Thanks again for your wonderful review. The details you provided would definitely give me cause to try Princess.

I'm sorry, we did not try room service and have not used room service on Princess except for morning coffee a few times. We spend little time in the room. I understand that HAL has much more available.

MREASIER,

I will add my $.02Cents Worth. I agree with your observations. We are Princess/HAL people for the most part. HERE'S MY OBSERVATIONS: Both lines are owned by the same Parent Co. They sail passenger ships to make $$money$$. They're in the 'hospitality business'. I call em' 'LasVegas with Water'. HAL caters intentionally to a more 'mature crowd'. Princess has some HUGE ships and shorter itineraries, thus a younger (more cost-concious??) crowd. Different Bar-room and Lido closing times?? Ditto. Different clientele. Want $Mega$ bucks cruising? Seabourne or Crystal. Cheapest? GOOGLE up where Princess ships go to die; as ALL ships wear out eventually. Marketing gurus have this stuff down pat methinks. They know more about us than we ourselves do. Ha!! Locomotiveman

Some HAL cabins have a mini bar in them. Have room service empty the mini bar fridge and use it for your medicine.

That's the fridge the OP was referring to when he said there was none in his cabin.

On the eight S- and R-class ships there is no fridge, or "mini-bar" as you call it, in the inside and outside cabins. They have to be rented, in advance, for the small charge of $2/day already mentioned.

The four Vista, and two Signature class ships, and the Prinsendam, have a fridge/mini-bar in every cabin.

Thanks for your fair comparison of both lines. We mostly cruise on Princess, but we did cruise on the Zuiderdam 8 years ago and loved it. Both lines appeal to us and each has it's own niche. We are sailing on the Eurodam in about 4 weeks and are very excited to be back on HAL.

We love being outdoors and do have to give a big edge to Princess, especially their large ships that have at least 4 fresh water pools, 8 - 10 jacuzzies and movie under the stars. We felt the food in the MDR on Hal was better than Princess, but the Horizon Court and Caribe Cafe are open 24 hours on Princess and we love to get cookies and coffee before we retiire for the evening. Both lines have great specialty restaurants and we plan to try them all on the Eurodam!

Larry

We also sail both lines, more Princess the last few years, and agree with your observations. One point to make is that your Princess experience is on their large ships. Princess also has three (soon to be two) small ships which are a lot more like your HAL experience than your Princess large ship experience. No 24 hour buffet, fewer daytime activities, and generally quieter plus more exotic itineraries.

Archived