Panama Canal

pal4404

My DH and I are interested in a cruise through the Panama Canal. Reviewing our options we find the option to either cruise round trip or a full passage. Would like comparisons from those who have cruised this itineary on the pros and cons of each.

I have done both a partial transit and a full transit. The story and pictures of the partial is on our website http://www.stevekathytravels.com

The problem I experienced was on the full transit there were too many sea days. Some people like sea days, but to be in 9 ports in 19 days was a bit much.

On the partial transit, some cruise lines offer a ride in a smaller ship through the canal.

We did a both/and in January. The cruise was a partial transit, but there was an excursion that completed the transit on a ferry, after which we took a bus back to the ship.

I liked the fact that we went through the first locks in a cruise ship that only had about a foot of clearance on either side, then went through the others on a small ship from which we could really see all the moving parts, up close and personal. It felt like the best of both worlds.

I too would recommend the full transit of the canal. Due to the width of the canal, you'll be on a "panamax" ship - one that would be narrow enough to fit through the locks; and at that, there will be only a foot clearance on each side - as another poster brought up.

It's definately something you need to experience - no matter which one you do.

I've been reading advices before doing our Panama cruise, and was told it's better West to East, which we did.

Woke up early to see the lights in the dark, found the west end locks much more interesting, and we were not tired from that day's sightseeing, floated on the river to Lake Gatun.

From the lake you can take a ship tour as there is not much to see after that - and the ships going East to West don't offer tours.

There was a short stop at the East side of the canal where we saw local dancers and checked unusual souvenirs.

Short tours from Florida only go to Lake Gatun missing the most interesting parts of the canal.

By the way, you are not between the gray walls all the time doing full transition, you are on the river and on the lake most of the day.

Also recommend full transit. Not sure what previous poster meant by too many sea days. Sea days depend upon what itinerary and cruise line you book. We had only two sea days -- one of which was going through the canal. The shipped docked in Cartagena the day before -- then we had the 2nd sea day followed by another port.

If you have to the time as others have pointed out I would opt for the full transit. That's not to mean that a partial transit is not a great cruise. Here are some advantages of both;

Partial: Easier to schedule, no need for an open jaw airline ticket to your departure port if you're flying since the cruise is R/T out of Florida. Normally a little shorter cruise, often 10-11 days. As long as you elect the tour in Panama that is the partial transit of the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut, you will see a large portion of the Canal. Another advantage of this is you are able to see the operation of the Canal from your large Panamax ship and then the same day see the operation from a smaller vessel. Gives you two different perspectives of the Canal.

Full: It just seems to me that seeing the Canal from start to finish puts things in perspective and you feel a sense of completion on a full transit. Many of the cruise lines are offering a stop in Panama either the day before or after your transit. This is a great idea as it gives you a chance to have a look at the country or even go into more detail about the Canal. On some itins the stop in Panama is not offered and if you wished to take a tour you would have to give up a portion of the transit. so that is sort of a contradiction if you are going on a full transit to see the Canal in its' entirety.

In short there are no cons about either cruise, just what works best for you. I recommend doing both! Makes no difference which order you choose, either cruise will build on the other one.

My DH and I are interested in a cruise through the Panama Canal. Reviewing our options we find the option to either cruise round trip or a full passage. Would like comparisons from those who have cruised this itineary on the pros and cons of each.

Have done partial transit twice -first time from Galveston (no Panama Canal cruises from there anymore) and second from Ft. Lauderdale. On first cruise, we took an excursion on a smaller boat from Gatun Lake through the locks.

In 3 weeks, we are doing a full transit b2b on Coral Princess. Leaving Ft. Lauderdale and transit to Acapulco. Then we sail back to Ft. Lauderdale (20 days round trip).

Great info on this thread!

Can anyone provide any tips on a PC transit that starts in South America?

I'm interested in doing a Valparaiso to Fort Lauderdale itinerary that includes a full transit of the Panama Canal. We went around the Horn last year on a Buenos Aires to Valparaiso itinerary and promised ourselves that we'd go back someday and finish the adventure. So far, I've found HAL and Celebrity itineraries that start in South America and transit the canal.

Thanks!

A full transit is the best because you get to see it all, Lake Gatun, the cut and all the locks.

The full transit is usually a lot longer cruise though with many more sea days (which we love) whereas the partial is usually a seven day return.

Either way the Panama Canal is worth seeing.

We took the partial over Christmas and loved it. I know we missed out on the western side. (Although doing an excursion to see the whole canal was an option, and the people we spoke with who spent the money said it was worth it.) We would have to wait until we can get enough time to do a two-week cruise otherwise. Plus our roundtrip airfare to Florida is less expensive than flying to the West Coast and flying back from Florida would have been.

Archived