Dress Code

gkgk123ca

The posters on this and other dress code threads occupy the extreme ends of the spectrum, both sides pushing for either more casual or more formality, in reality they are a very very small minority of Seabourn passengers most of whom know how to dress for which occasion, on a 2 week cruise that will be 2 formal nights, in the restaurant only, if you include the TK Grill, Colonade, Patio Grill and main restaurant that is 56 evening dining opportunities of which only 2 are formal, on a 12 night cruise the numbers change to 48 and 1, less than 5% in both cases.

All the rest are Elegant Casual, its not difficult to fit in.

Relax, enjoy the cruise and the Seabourn experience, I know we do.

Touche'!

That has been my experience exactly over the years. I have noticed Seabourn get more and more casual whereas 15 years ago I noticed many tuxedos on formal night, myself included, and in recent years there are very few with mostly suits and lots of men without ties. My wife and I are in our young 40's and while typically we've been on the younger end of the crowd (that is going to change as time progresses I know) but we have always felt comfortable and welcomed whether formal or less so. With luggage restrictions getting more stringent too I will probably be wearing more sportcoats with different slacks just to limit the amount of junk I'm bringing with me on our next Mediterranean cruise which is in a few weeks. I certainly won't be packing a tuxedo (only due to space) but if you are taking two suitcases and have plenty of room by all means bring one and you will fit in just as well as the gent wearing a navy suit. There is plenty of room for all as long as people are respectful and they dress sharply and within reason I don't envision any issues.

A slightly different question.

Visiting the western Med in August where it will be delightfully hot.

Would a gym polyester shirt (which also acts as a sunblock); shorts and compression Lycra leggings stand out too much? Or be appropriate? It would otherwise be cool and practical and stop us getting sunburnt

I didn't see anyone dressed like that except going to exercise. But, I think it would be ok dress during the day. Reread the rules if you are unsure.

It’s definitely casual and might stand out as unorthodox. I wasn’t sure if churches and conservative Europe would allow even cotton leggings as opposed to a pant or long skirt when visiting.

Gym wear in non-exercise situations seems to be getting more popular in Australia!

In the meantime, managed to pack enough elegant casual and appropriate attire into one carry-on suitcase yesterday!

Would a gym polyester shirt (which also acts as a sunblock); shorts and compression Lycra leggings stand out too much? Or be appropriate? It would otherwise be cool and practical and stop us getting sunburnt

In the western Med the clothes would stand out as it is not the way the locals dress to be cool. They tend to wear loose fitting and absorbent clothing and you have chosen the total opposite. If your choice is the habit of a lifetime why not take the holiday as a chance to try what the people in the west Med wear? You might even find it is better!

But if you are reluctant to change be prepared for some odd looks - and certainly in the more conservative places mentioned by the previous poster.

Tony - EU citizen for the moment anyway.

In the western Med the clothes would stand out as it is not the way the locals dress to be cool. They tend to wear loose fitting and absorbent clothing and you have chosen the total opposite. If your choice is the habit of a lifetime why not take the holiday as a chance to try what the people in the west Med wear? You might even find it is better!

But if you are reluctant to change be prepared for some odd looks - and certainly in the more conservative places mentioned by the previous poster.

Tony - EU citizen for the moment anyway.

Thank you for the informative post. Had an impression that would be the case. And have already packed appropriately!

Shame everything in Australia is still coming off the Winter season.

It’s interesting looking at the Seabourn final docs, the elegant photos of the “well to do” in their white dress shirts, sleeved rolled up and the dresses that would be fit in at the spring racing carnival. Then in the background are the t-shirt and shorts of those that perhaps are not paid models!

It’s interesting looking at the Seabourn final docs, the elegant photos of the “well to do” in their white dress shirts, sleeved rolled up and the dresses that would be fit in at the spring racing carnival. Then in the background are the t-shirt and shorts of those that perhaps are not paid models!

Three cheers for what Seabourn are seeking to achieve. The market for the "t-shirt and short obsessed" is well supplied. There may not be many people around these days who love a touch of elegance - but thank goodness there are still businesses providing those environments. Setting the example are the Seabourn crew who, with all their changes of outfit, manage to look smart and stylish - with pride.

But let's not get into one of those I'm not going to be told what to wear flames. Leave your lycra for the gym and feel cool and comfortable in the gear the western Mediterranians wear. Why you may even get mistaken for a native!

Three cheers for what Seabourn are seeking to achieve. The market for the "t-shirt and short obsessed" is well supplied. There may not be many people around these days who love a touch of elegance - but thank goodness there are still businesses providing those environments. Setting the example are the Seabourn crew who, with all their changes of outfit, manage to look smart and stylish - with pride.

But let's not get into one of those I'm not going to be told what to wear flames. Leave your lycra for the gym and feel cool and comfortable in the gear the western Mediterranians wear. Why you may even get mistaken for a native!

Back in days past boys used to dress like little men, now too many men dress like little boys.

Quick update as I'm off my Med cruise on Odyssey (great time by the way). Had many "elegant casual nights" in the MDR and paid close attention to the Men's dress, here is my rough breakdown

Traditional "collared dress shirt" (long sleeve type that goes with a suit) or more formal (jacket/tie): 65%

Other dress-type shirt (short sleeve, tommy bahama, nice looking hawaiian type linen-shirt, bright color/print fashion style shirt): 25%

Polo type shirt: 10%

I wore each to see if I could catch any looks from crew or passengers, could not detect any, was welcomed each time - both sitting alone as a couple and with other people. Bottom line, if it has a collar it will be acceptable. Some people may not like that, but that's the current experience - at least on a Summer Med cruise. Cheers.

Turtlenecks, then lycra gym wear for the day, this dress code is rapidily decending to the dress code levels of the Venezuelan insurance salesmen and their fishnet clothing clad overweight wives on a Crystal cruise I once went on! Great entertainment though, as was the Crystal "experience ".

Turtlenecks, then lycra gym wear for the day, this dress code is rapidily decending to the dress code levels of the Venezuelan insurance salesmen and their fishnet clothing clad overweight wives on a Crystal cruise I once went on! Great entertainment though, as was the Crystal "experience ".

Well, I guess you won't love Seabourn any more.

Just a men's footwear question. Would sandals be allowed in the dining rooms at dinner? What if someone was unable to wear shoes for some medical reason? Would an exception be made? Any advice on this type of situation?

(BTW, I assume women's dressy sandals are fine for dinner--I can't imagine otherwise.)

Brontosphere, thank you for observing and reporting.

No problem, let me know of any other questions. Overall, I got the sense that the Maitre D' and serving staff could not care less and treated everyone identically - and other passengers seemed focused on their own dinner/conversations. I saw rumpled/untucked polos and a variety of loud/print/fashion collared shirts on men (I tend to think Russian mafia when I see these haha).

Interestingly our 1 night in TK Grill was nearly all jackets on the men and felt much more formal than the MDR but that could be variance.

No problem, let me know of any other questions.

Ok, just curious - On warm evenings did anyone dare to wear dress shorts in the evening on deck or in venues other than the MDR/TK? Evenings outside at the Sky bar? Or at Earth & Ocean? Etc.

I saw rumpled/untucked polos and a variety of loud/print/fashion collared shirts on men (I tend to think Russian mafia when I see these haha).

Lol. Rumpled/untucked is a bit more than even I'd contemplate. Are you sure nobody fainted at this sight?

Ok, just curious - On warm evenings did anyone dare to wear dress shorts in the evening on deck or in venues other than the MDR/TK? Evenings outside at the Sky bar? Or at Earth & Ocean? Etc.

Lol. Rumpled/untucked is a bit more than even I'd contemplate. Are you sure nobody fainted at this sight?

Yes, reading this board I half expected some kind of alarm at 6pm at which point everyone would magically be changed into evening wear - but no! "Deck wear" continued well past 6pm on deck and other venues. It was hot and humid and sunset was after 9pm, shorts and casual shirts can be seen as some people hadn't changed from the day's excursion. Again this was Summer in the Med, might be different elsewhere.

Nobody fainted, amusingly enough *I* was probably the closest to fainting - as it was a guy we were eating at the same table with! (met him and his wife on excursion and got along well). He showed up at the MDR entrance in a polo shirt that looked like it had been pulled from the bottom of a duffel bag that had been used as a soccer ball. So I had an up close view of others' reactions and I couldn't detect any horrified looks. Later in dinner, the conversation turned to packing/luggage/clothes and I jumped at the opening - he said "dining room = collared shirt. end." Interesting stuff, and yes on the night I wore a polo it was pressed sans wrinkles and tucked in formal style to slacks.

To the poster asking about sandals, anything related to medical need would be fine. There were some "injuries" on our trip and I saw a man with a barefoot half in an ankle-boot used for sprains in the MDR, another guy with a tshirt under a shoulder sling. I think medical related absolutely anything goes.

Yes, reading this board I half expected some kind of alarm at 6pm at which point everyone would magically be changed into evening wear - but no! ....

I have visions of SB dress code minders wandering the ship, slapping rulers in their palms... ;p:rolleyes:

It's fascinating hearing about all these things that supposedly never happen on a Seabourn cruise.

I have visions of SB dress code minders wandering the ship, slapping rulers in their palms... ;p:rolleyes:

I think that ship has sailed. (groan)

My wife was more than a bit amused by my newfound interest in men's clothing on board, but by day 3 the "vibe" and reality of the situation was clear. Don't stress about it, the "letter of the law" is not reality and I believe the only reason SB does not update their literature is they don't want to offend the imams aka the SB dress code religious police.

It's fascinating hearing about all these things that supposedly never happen on a Seabourn cruise.

LOL.

Remember, those that are judgmental are not your friends. They really don't matter.

Were the women in fishnets wearing fishnet stockings or fishnet vests?? ( I enjoy visual imagery)

And considering the state of Venezuela’s economy, I wonder how anyone is selling any insurance at all down there, so maybe they were on a tight budget :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see these spirited debates on dress code and it makes me groan - for those on both ends of the spectrum.

There are clearly those, typically first time Seabourn guests, who for some reason make it a mission to propose things should be more casual and they promote their agenda as such. Even trying to suggest after their first voyage that they were just fine being super casual even though I am sure many of the other guests did not feel the same. And then there are also those on the other end of the spectrum promoting more formality that want to remember the good old days where it was more formal even on non-formal evenings. These types roll their eyes and make nasty comments to others whose attire they don't appreciate. Just the thought of leaving the tuxedo at home or possibly not even wearing a tie on formal night is sacrilege. In my opinion neither end of the spectrum is accurate and probably not respectful of the rest of the crowd.

I have nowhere near the days at Sea of many of you but we've been cruising with Seabourn for 15 years and I have noticed it get slightly more casual over that time period as has the world in general. HOWEVER, in general the clientele and the Seabourn staff continue to promote the elegant casual vibe. The expectation is that people are on a luxury trip and that dressing in a classy and respectable way makes the entire experience more enjoyable for all. Seabourn markets itself as being a luxurious worldly culture which is more active and relaxed than a couple of other luxury cruise lines. It is not stuffy and tuxedos or suit and tie is not “required” attire every evening but it is expected that people will dress nicely and be respectful of their fellow guests and the environment the ship is trying to promote.

The boarding documents are actually pretty straightforward.

Day:

In a nutshell it says swimsuits and exercise attire during the day should be reserved for on deck or in the fitness center. Resort style attire including jeans and shorts are fair game anywhere during the day.

Evenings: (This is for the Restaurant but it sort of carries the vibe throughout the ship.)

Elegant Casual - collared dress shirt or sweater (it does say dress shirt for those that argue); jacket is optional. No Jeans in the Restaurant after 6pm

Formal – Tuxedo, a suit or slacks with a jacket required.

Ladies – match similar to what goes with above for men. Blouse, dress, pant suit, etc. More elegant on formal nights.

I wrote something similar to the below not long ago on this thread and then intended to stay out of this discussion but some of the recent posts I think are misleading so I will add some more color. On my first cruise with Seabourn I was in my later 20’s and I packed my tuxedo as well as a suit and sport coat and was pleased to wear all of them - and I probably had two suitcases with me as well ugh. Of course in my late 20’s this was not my normal holiday attire but I was on a special vacation and I was more than happy to dive headfirst into the experience and it was great. Participating in the experience as intended, and instructed by the documents, made it more enjoyable for us and for everyone else. Obviously we enjoyed ourselves because we keep Seabourn in our vacation rotation. Not every year but we keep coming back and for us it has always been the Mediterranean – both Eastern routes and Western routes so it has always been during the warmer months. With that said, the environment has gotten more casual with the 450 and now 600 passenger ships but it is still an elegant environment and that should be respected in my opinion. I try to pack lighter now but in my experience the majority of men tend to wear a jacket most evenings. It may not be a requirement but most people do because they want to and because they respect the others and want to uphold the feel of refined luxury and a special occasion. The second and a smaller group wear the same thing but just without the jacket – nice slacks and a long sleeve, dressy button down shirt. Either option can be sporty and worn with loafers but still a casual elegance look. Then there may be very few in the minority that choose not to do either and do simply what they want and wear a tropical silk shirt or a nice polo tucked into their slacks. That last group is wearing a normal country club type outfit that would be perfectly fine in most settings yet they are in the minority in this setting. They do probably get some eye rolls or groans whether warranted or not but I am sure it happens.

So if you want to push the boundaries and say that the rules just say collared shirt then I suppose you can do that if you like - although it does clearly state "collared dress shirt". Just be mindful that you will be in the minority. You aren’t going to blow up the party or sink the ship but you aren’t really adding to the experience to be fair - and for some people you are detracting. Do what you want but I think you and everyone else onboard would but happier if you just packed some nice button down shirts and brought along a sport coat or blazer. That's easy to do and still sporty and comfortable.

At the end of the day, I think those that want things to be more formal all the time and wish for the days of the old Legend, etc may need to lighten up or start to look for another line. And for those that are trying to push the boundaries and just get by with whatever they want should probably stick with one of the more mainstream lines such as Norwegian or whatever (I am guessing here as we haven't been with them). Otherwise be nice, respect the decorum, find a happy medium and stay classy San Diego.

Edited by Scb71