Dress Code

gkgk123ca

Oh boy, our upcoming Quest cruise in September is going to be fun! I've been told that the pax on the ship will be much more laid back about rules than the people on this board.

You will be fine. Most cruises do not have the "Dress Code Police" aboard.

I think that the real point is to look good and not dress just to satisfy the rules.

I agree. Satisfy yourself as long as there's no significant deviation from the expected. 99% of the passengers on board will not care a whit about what others are wearing, basically those who have never heard of CC.

It is not the passenger Dress Code Police who may or may not approve of your attire - and could possibly frown upon you but are unlikely to report you - but the official Police, i.e. the staff at the dining room door, who can and sometimes do enforce the rules.

There is some fascinating evening gear being worn on a blog currently mentioned in the Quest Dover to Dover thread, for anyone who has the patience to go through the myriad pictures (very interesting, but time consuming). Some of which would certainly annoy the passenger Dress Code Police! But obviously not a problem for the senior staff seen in proximity.

It is not the passenger Dress Code Police who may or may not approve of your attire - and could possibly frown upon you but are unlikely to report you - but the official Police, i.e. the staff at the dining room door, who can and sometimes do enforce the rules.

There is some fascinating evening gear being worn on a blog currently mentioned in the Quest Dover to Dover thread, for anyone who has the patience to go through the myriad pictures (very interesting, but time consuming). Some of which would certainly annoy the passenger Dress Code Police! But obviously not a problem for the senior staff seen in proximity.

I guess I just don't understand why you care so much.

wripro - I don't particularly care, I find it all rather amusing. My DH is, I have to say, one of those who tries to get away with casual comfortable clothes whenever possible. And has been known to sport a dark discreet polo shirt in the MDR, and no one actually complained. Possibly because the staff know us pretty well, and we get on well with them.

wripro - I don't particularly care, I find it all rather amusing. My DH is, I have to say, one of those who tries to get away with casual comfortable clothes whenever possible. And has been known to sport a dark discreet polo shirt in the MDR, and no one actually complained. Possibly because the staff know us pretty well, and we get on well with them.

Glad to hear it.

I'm almost afraid to ask how/where a turtleneck fits into the Elegant Casual dress code? We'll be in Alaska, and while I'm sure I'd be fine sleeveless (I run hot) my husband runs cool. I'm sure that some nights he'll just wear his sports coat over a button down and call it a night, but if he wants to wear a turtleneck? Or bring a turtleneck sweater? I've noted some in the thread mention men wearing polo neck sweaters, and he has one but it's not his (or my ;-) favorite - we both prefer the turtlenecks......

Then again, our last Sept AK cruise was really warm, so who knows ;p

I'm almost afraid to ask how/where a turtleneck fits into the Elegant Casual dress code? We'll be in Alaska, and while I'm sure I'd be fine sleeveless (I run hot) my husband runs cool. I'm sure that some nights he'll just wear his sports coat over a button down and call it a night, but if he wants to wear a turtleneck? Or bring a turtleneck sweater? I've noted some in the thread mention men wearing polo neck sweaters, and he has one but it's not his (or my ;-) favorite - we both prefer the turtlenecks......

Then again, our last Sept AK cruise was really warm, so who knows ;p

The dress code allows for a sweater in lieu of a collared dress shirt.

Hoyaheel - I may have caused some confusion because of the different descriptions we have for clothes in the USA and UK. Here a polo necked sweater is not like a polo shirt but with long sleeves and possibly made of wool, but a sweater with a completely circular neckline, which folds over on the neck (concealing some of the wrinkles if needed!) I think this may be what you call a turtle neck? Anyway, both types would be completely acceptable in the dining room at dinner.

I know Europeans have turtlenecks - I've seen them skiing ;-)

My husband has some heattech turtlenecks that are great for travel when it might be cooler - they insulate and also dry quickly if we need to wash during a trip (we tend to pack light - not much cotton if possible, it takes longer to dry ;-)

I went to boarding school and the dress code was jackets & ties for boys, no t-shirts for anyone. But boys & girls could wear turtlenecks, so that's my conditioning - a turtleneck can play the same role as a button down shirt ;-)

I know Europeans have turtlenecks - I've seen them skiing ;-)

My husband has some heattech turtlenecks that are great for travel when it might be cooler - they insulate and also dry quickly if we need to wash during a trip (we tend to pack light - not much cotton if possible, it takes longer to dry ;-)

I went to boarding school and the dress code was jackets & ties for boys, no t-shirts for anyone. But boys & girls could wear turtlenecks, so that's my conditioning - a turtleneck can play the same role as a button down shirt ;-)

The word you are looking for is “skivy” which is a cotton roll neck shirt

This is getting even sillier than usual! For what it is worth, my impression now is that a turtleneck shirt is a version of what Brits would call a polo necked sweater, but maybe made of cotton or similar rather than wool? Hope someone actually knows - I may not be able to sleep tonight otherwise. Let's not get into the various names for underwear as well. Luckily the dress code police won't know what your undies are like, so we can wear whatever we prefer.

Thinking a list of excluded dress would be clearer, perhaps starting with 'No shoes, No shirt, No service' and go from there. However, it's doubtful the Internet has sufficient bandwidth to deliver a fully completed list.

Apologies, all. I must cease and desist from any more attempts at humour and being silly on this thread. It has been getting too much like the Silversea Water Cooler, and I will try to keep my typing fingers still.

It is an important subject to some new to Seabourn, and the main problem is that we have different ideas on how to interpret the rules/guidelines which makes the replies confusing.

The posters on this and other dress code threads occupy the extreme ends of the spectrum, both sides pushing for either more casual or more formality, in reality they are a very very small minority of Seabourn passengers most of whom know how to dress for which occasion, on a 2 week cruise that will be 2 formal nights, in the restaurant only, if you include the TK Grill, Colonade, Patio Grill and main restaurant that is 56 evening dining opportunities of which only 2 are formal, on a 12 night cruise the numbers change to 48 and 1, less than 5% in both cases.

All the rest are Elegant Casual, its not difficult to fit in.

Relax, enjoy the cruise and the Seabourn experience, I know we do.

The posters on this and other dress code threads occupy the extreme ends of the spectrum, both sides pushing for either more casual or more formality, in reality they are a very very small minority of Seabourn passengers most of whom know how to dress for which occasion, on a 2 week cruise that will be 2 formal nights, in the restaurant only, if you include the TK Grill, Colonade, Patio Grill and main restaurant that is 56 evening dining opportunities of which only 2 are formal, on a 12 night cruise the numbers change to 48 and 1, less than 5% in both cases.

All the rest are Elegant Casual, its not difficult to fit in.

Relax, enjoy the cruise and the Seabourn experience, I know we do.

Exactly!!!!