Will it be too warm in jeans?????

GummyBear

Sailing on the Magic this May to Italy. I've heard that I need to wear pants to visit most churches. Can someone tell me it will be too warm to wear jeans?

Knees and shoulders need to be covered to visit the Vatican and many other religious sites.

My DH wore khaki dockers in August (he never complained that he was too hot) and I wore a "broom stick" style skirt. Great for traveling, as they do not wrinkle.

Another option for men are the "transformer" or "zip-off" pants that can be worn as pants or shorts - just zip off the bottom of the leg to create shorts.

Knees and shoulders need to be covered to visit the Vatican and many other religious sites.

I wore a "broom stick" style skirt. Great for traveling, as they do not wrinkle.

I heartily endorse wearing a skirt in Rome. We were there in July and a skirt was the coolest clothing option for my bottom half. For the upper body, I wore a tanktop that I covered with a scarf or shawl for places that required covered shoulders. The Vatican & Vatican Museum aren't airconditioned, so the less you are wearing, the more comfortable you'll be.

As we walked around Rome, we stopped in all churches along our route as their stone walls and darkness provided a welcome respite from the excruciating heat.

Depends, on our last trip we were there EARLY May - like the 2nd and 3rd and it was still quite cool.

But post cruise we were there mid May - May 14th and I wore jeans off the ship........walked around a bit and went back to hotel to change....I was hot !!!!!

Also....try this website (my favorite when trip planning)

www.americanexpressweather.com On the left side put in the city and dates you will be there....... it will give you a ton of historical weather info. Not perfect as no one can predict mother nature.....but as close as you are going to get in knowing what to expect :D

Was in Italy in late May last year and the weather was great. Not too hot that time last year. Jeans are probably too hot though.

I'd say most women had on capris and most wore tops that covered shoulders. A few younger girls were more exposed on top but brought along a light windbreaker/blouse to use as coverups. Any places with those type restrictions the guide would warn them to take it with them when needed. A lot of walking to get to some sites so they'd just tie around their waist and slip on prior to entry. Saw no one in our vicinity denied entry wearing the above.

I find that jeans are too heavy to pack and aren't versatile. I travelled end of May last yr and took black linen pants; they could be dressed up for dinner or worn with a tshirt for sightseeing. It was hot during our trip so I only wore them at dinner. (And I could dampen them at night to get out the creases then hang them in the shower to dry overnight)

Sailing on the Magic this May to Italy. I've heard that I need to wear pants to visit most churches. Can someone tell me it will be too warm to wear jeans?

It's always helpful to list where you are going in Italy and when (eg,it will be much warmer end of May than early May).

Keith

It's always helpful to list where you are going in Italy and when (eg,it will be much warmer end of May than early May).

Good point - Northern Italy in early May is generally cooler. Southern Italy will generally be warmer. By late May, I consider Napoli to be out of the question, because I am VERY uncomfortable in warm weather! :D

I found that when I wore jeans in Italy I felt very underdressed. I'll be bringing more capris for my next trip and no tennis shoes!

Depends upon the style of jeans and your age. Levis type jeans will be "underdressed", but fashion jeans (particularly on younger people) are very common and perfectly acceptable. (particularly if you have the right shoes on with them).

Gummy, we were there in May and it was unusually hot (mid to upper 80s) - jeans may be too warm for the city, but you aren't going to be in the city or churches all the time. I left my jeans at home, and was SO sorry, even with the heat - there were many casual times in the evening that I wanted to wear them. I'd take one pair if you're used to being in jeans for casual wear.

Jeans would be too warm for me, dockers or kahkis would be my choice. I will tell you what I did. I bought a pair of light weight pants that have zippers at the knees so they can be worn as shorts or long pants. I just zipped on the bottom part when we got to the churches.

Kirk

May is not terribly hot in Italy, but you still might be a bit warm. I avoid jeans for kakkis since jeans are heavier and take up more space in baggage, and not ideal for heat.

The weather in Italy in May can vary tremendously. It can be quite cool and rainy, especially early in the month, but on a good sunny day you can bake. I agree with the person who said jeans were heavy, I prefer khakis or twill trousers, and recommend lots of things to layer for May, including closed shoes and a good travel umbrella.

Archived