Noise in the room from other cabins?

NODAK1979

How much noise do you generally hear from the people above or to the sides of you??

I ask because I'm very sensitive to that. At home I always have a fan on so that I never hear any noise from outside. Whenever I go to hotels, I turn up the fan on the a/c unit as loud as I can to drown out any potential noises.

I'll bring earplugs, but they only can drown out so much. So what's your experiences?

We have been able to hear noise occasionally but it has never been a problem. The only time I remember a problem with noise was something the crew was up to one morning. I also bring earplugs but have never used them.

Kirk

How much noise do you generally hear from the people above or to the sides of you??

I ask because I'm very sensitive to that. At home I always have a fan on so that I never hear any noise from outside. Whenever I go to hotels, I turn up the fan on the a/c unit as loud as I can to drown out any potential noises.

I'll bring earplugs, but they only can drown out so much. So what's your experiences?

I can think of only twice in our many years of cruising that we've heard noise from next-door cabin occupants. Usually, it's people in the hallway returning to their cabins late at night that wake us with loud talking.

Dad had the cabin next to ours last cruise. Even when I called him on the phone, I couldn't even hear the phone ring. Dad is also pretty hard of hearing. When I'd go into his cabin the volume on the TV was up so loud I found it uncomfortable to be in his cabin without turning it down, yet I never heard it in our cabin.

I would post this on the board for the cruise line you are booked on.

All of this can vary by cruise line and by ship because of factors such as the common walls between the cabins.

In general, we have not heard noises from other cabins with the exception of sometimes the opening and closing of drawers.

Keith

I detest noise. Avoid Spring break season and shorter cruises which attract the young, noisier crowd. I do not cruise CCL,RCL, maybe NCL. Always get a cabin with cabins above yours, NOT public spaces. I find an inside cabin the quietest, Balcony neighbors can be noisy too.Remember until you get into suites, most cabins I or Outside are the same. Never get the lowest deck cabins which will suffer from engine noise.Get cruise brochures to study cabin locations before booking.

We've only been disturbed by late night passengers in the hallway. This happened when a group of teens were intentionally shoving each other into the doors of each cabin as they came down the hall. We got up to look outside our cabin, and you could see passengers from the other cabins with their heads out too. A parent or chaperone was waiting at the end of the hall for them, all smiles and didn't offer any apolgy for the behavior that CLEARLY disturbed many of the cabins. That's the only time we've ever been disturbed, but we sleep like the dead.

You also have to be careful of where your cabin is located. We were on the Explorer of the Seas last spring and were RIGHT across the hall from the crew elevators. The noise wasn't bad for us but we could definitely hear noise the last night when they were moving things.

You'll hear more from the hallway than from adjoining cabins....when folks walk by, talking loudly or laughing, it comes right under the door! And, in your cabin, things do tend to "rattle" a bit, if it's rough at all!

Cruise ships have really improved their sound proofing from the old days...but it is still "luck of the draw." We generally choose our cabins (rather then do guarantees) because we pay attention to what is above, under and around our cabin. We try to avoid being under or over a public room where there might be a lot of early morning or late night noise. We have also found that the quietest cabins are near the bow...which ironically is one of the least popular locations on most ships. All the heavy machinery such as the motors, engines, generators, etc. are housed near the center of the ship (on the lowest deck of the ship). The propellers and/or azipod drive system is near the stern of the ship (which is the area of most vibration). But up towards the bow most of the lower space is used for storage (you might hear the bow thrusters when a ship is entering or leaving a port). But even if you choose a cabin in the quietest part of the ship you can still get noisy neighbors...or perhaps somebody with a screaming infant. Your ideas of ear plugs is a good one, and that is about all you can do.

Hank

I am beyond noise sensitive. Def. choose your cabin & do NOT book underneath or even above a public area. Avoid anything on the schematic that could indicate any kind of "porter's" area...I speak from experience! I won't even cruise on a line on which the balcony doors open in/out b/c I'm afraid of slamming doors! One more thing...I try to book at the end of a hallway or in a corner aft balcony (on Princess) so I only have one neighbor. And earplugs are a given...the ones I find to work best are "Hearos" (that's the brand). Good luck!

In 30+ cruises we've only had problems with noise in our cabin twice.

Once was on NCL Spirit when our cabin was on the deck below the disco lounge. We weren't even directly below the lounge but the booms from the disco beat reverberated into our cabin late at night.

Years ago on an older NCL ship we discovered the first night out that the drain for one of the ship's hot tubs was located in the wall right beside our bed. The side of this is that we knew first hand knowledge that the water in the hot tub was fresh water each day. The down side of the adventure was that it took approximately 45 minutes to drain that tub every night and my bladder woke up at least 2 to 3 times during the draining process.

On another note, we did have a reverse problem with noise in cabins on a cruise on RCI Grandeur of Seas when we had adjoining cabins with DH's brother and sister-in-law. We are several years older than them but tend to stay out later than them on cruises. Each morning at breakfast they would tell us exactly what time we came back to our cabin the night before because they could hear us in their adjoining cabin. We are truly quiet people on a ship but the walls between the two cabins were apparently thin. :eek: After the second breakfast conversation about this we learned to tip toe through the cabin and whisper.:D

Dianne

In 30+ cruises we've only had problems with noise in our cabin twice.

Once was on NCL Spirit. . .

I know your intent was to be reassuring, but what you aren't aware of is that NODAK IS sailing on NCL Spirit.

I know your intent was to be reassuring, but what you aren't aware of is that NODAK IS sailing on NCL Spirit.
That being the case I would suggest he not book cabin 11501.

Another suggestion for anyone booking a cabin on any ship would be to check out the Cruise Deck Plans website. Select the ship you're interested in and click on the "Drag Decks" link in the bottom left corner of the page.

You can drag decks over top of each other and see what is above or below the cabin(s) you are considering. Just line up the stairs or elevators for the most accurate view.

To add to the reassurance about the NCL Star, we have sailed her 4 times with number 5 coming in November. We picked 11501 because of it's odd location and configuration. We knew at the time that it was below the Galaxy of the Stars. Even though the bass "booms" were noticable in the cabin it was not, for us, a major problem. We encountered no noise problems on the other 3 Spirit cruises.

Charlie

I ask because I'm very sensitive to that. At home I always have a fan on so that I never hear any noise from outside. Whenever I r4go to hotels, I turn up the fan on the a/c unit as loud as I can to drown out any potential noises.

If you are sensitive, little noise will be very loud to you. You'd better listen to music when you find the noise annoying.

I'm sensitive to noise too... After staying at enough hotels that didn't let the fan run continuously and/or weren't loud enough, I found this solution:

The Marpac SleepMate is a wonderful sound machine that gives a white noise that is a "whooshing" noise very similar to a fan. It is available through Amazon and other online sites.

I cannot recommend it enough-- it travels with us everywhere and it blocks all sound (even from the hallway) on the past 4 cruises we've taken it on.

I've never had a problem. On the flip side I've heard of people complaining that the wall were so thin they could hear the people brushing their hair.

Many people bring a fan for white noise.

I'm a very sensitive person as well. I advise getting a sound machine to help drown out the noise. The one I have is small and easily portable and I can adjust sound to make it louder or quieter. The noise is not at all bothersome, just white noise.

Sadly, I can't tell you where I got it from, since it was a holiday present. But you could probably find one by searching google, if your interested in it. Mine's white, circular-dome shape with small holes on the sides and a few on top, if anyone was curious about it.

Hope this helps.

We had this issue twice in 7 cruises. Ironically, both times on Carnival..the first time was during spring break with teenagers in the hallway. So, I agree you should avoid times when schools are out.

The second time, we had a connecting cabin and the boys next door were very loud. We could also hear the mother's conversation, word for word, with her husband on the phone. So, lesson learned is to never get a connecting cabin again.

Archived