Same Day Fly in

Front Row

I've seen numerous postings about the worries of flying in on the day of your cruise.

We have an Alaska cruise in June and must fly from LAX to YVR, our non-stop scheduled flight arrives a full 6.5 hours before ship's departure.

However, I have verified that there are no less then 15 more flights out of LAX which depart after our scheduled departure but could get us to YVR with enough time to catch the ship.

Do I really need to worry?

One can always think of reasons why you might arrive too late. A few random examples:

1) airport closure (terrorist alert, fire, system crash)

2) If you are on airline A, they are unlikely to put you on airline B if your flight gets cancelled, you get bumped, whatever. The total number of flights is close to immaterial (even if you are willing to pay for the "other" flight, you will have trouble retrieving your checked luggage).

3) Parked on I 405 for 2 days (semi-grin)

Besides, Vancouver is such a nice city, I would hate to not spend some time there.

Will you usually make the cruise? sure.

Don't worry.......be happy!

I've seen numerous postings about the worries of flying in on the day of your cruise.

We have an Alaska cruise in June and must fly from LAX to YVR, our non-stop scheduled flight arrives a full 6.5 hours before ship's departure.

However, I have verified that there are no less then 15 more flights out of LAX which depart after our scheduled departure but could get us to YVR with enough time to catch the ship.

If all goes according to plan, you'll be fine. It is less stressful to fly in the day prior...and you sort of getting in the "vacation mindset" before you even board the ship!

Not everyone can arrive in port the day before.

Just because there are 15 other flights you could take doesn't mean there will be space for you on those flights.

If everything goes to plan, you'll be fine - but in my experience, this rarely all go perfectly to plan.

If all the flights are grounded because of fog (or in the case of LAX - smog), the flight you're going to catch is coming from somewhere else and doesn't? I could go on, but my bottom line is - I'm all for starting vacation as soon as possible! Not to mention, Vancouver is absolutely gorgeous and a great city to visit.

Sure, things could happen and you would still not be able to make the ship. But, things could happen if you book a flight the day before....and flights day of are booked and you can't get on them.

You have 6 1/2 hours from scheduled landing until you have to be on board. You have 15 alternates to look for alternate seating if something happens to your scheduled flight. You only have to worry about something happening to one flight and not several. Odds are in your favor that you will be fine.

It's nice that there are lots of flights but they all could be full.

I never like the idea of flying in the day of the cruise. I've seen too many things that can go wrong.

It can include a mechanical issue, flight delays, a shutdown of the airport due to a security breach, lack of flight attendants, weather related issue, FAA related issue, computer malfunctions and the list goes on and on.

Can't you fly in the night before?

In the end all of this comes down to how much risk you are willing to take.

Keith

I guess you just have to do a risk assessment which considers what you paid for he cruise, and also, in the event you do miss the ship, how to catch up to it and where, and at what cost. Also, do you have travel insurance?

In addition to some of the potential things which could cause a delay, there are:

a. a computer problem that affects either your airline or the air traffic control system the day of your flight;

b. a maintenance issue that affects your aircraft either before flight or during he flight;

c. a security breach in your terminal at LAX that results in an evacuation and shutdown and the resulting delays affecting your flight status;

d. even if your flight gets to YVR on time, what if your luggage does not?

There are so many things which could impact your flight.

I am generally an optimist, but I would hate to miss my ship or be without my luggage, and that is why we always fly or drive to the port at least a day early.

Regardless of what decision you make, I wish you and eneventful trip to the port and a great cruise. :)

There may be 15 other flights, but if the flight you are on gets canceled, where do you think the 100-150 pax on your flight are going to be trying to squeeze into? Flights run above 80% full domestically, so can each of those flights take 10 last minute pax rushing from another flight?

Chances are pretty good you will be fine. But as mentioned, you have a lot of money invested. Why not avoid the stress and fly in the day before? If I were flying in the day before, I would love the thought of 15 flights to bail me out. But the same day? Too much worry.

Sure, you will most probably make it. Things usually work out OK, but if you have the option, why not start the vacation a day early - relax, and not worry about the one chance in 50 (or whatever) that things could go wrong?

Frame the decision process in the immortal words of Dirty Harry:

"Do you feel lucky -- well, do ya..."?

If all the flights are grounded because of fog (or in the case of LAX - smog), the flight you're going to catch is coming from somewhere else and doesn't? I could go on, but my bottom line is - I'm all for starting vacation as soon as possible! Not to mention, Vancouver is absolutely gorgeous and a great city to visit.

Don't ever remember LAX being closed due to smog. It has been closed due to fog. The fog can get thick in LA in the mornings in May/June-hence the name June Gloom.

OP- Check and see if there is a redeye you could take. The Vancouver airport is about 40 minutes from the pier and you will need to be onboard about 90 minutes prior to departure so you really only have a 3 hour window for plane delays.

If you are checking thru luggage you have even less time.

The sky is falling the sky is falling. Now you see why the insurance companys are so wealthy. So many insecurities.

You will be fine, take the money that you save and enjoy a great excursion and use the extra vacation day that you didn't use to make a long weekend this year. Enjoy your cruise.

The sky is falling the sky is falling. Now you see why the insurance companys are so wealthy. So many insecurities.

You will be fine, take the money that you save and enjoy a great excursion and use the extra vacation day that you didn't use to make a long weekend this year. Enjoy your cruise.

Most of us who are cautious on this base this on experience.

I can't tell you how many people I know who have had problems with flights and they say if I could do it again I would not fly in the day of the cruise.

The same goes with those who book return flights too early on disembarkation days.

No, the sky is not falling. However, we are being realistic.

I was on too many business and pleasure flights and while I have not seen it all I think I've seen most of it.

I would never tell anyone that they will be fine.

Somebody said that no one is truly lucky. You have to put yourself in the position to be lucky. Like on the Lottery, you have to speculate to accumalate.

The reverse it also true. If you live on the edge- invite bad luck- then it will find you. Maybe not everytime, but it will find you. And, the common response in our society today- SUE- it is someone else's fault!

We prefer to take the risk on the way home. We live in the NY metropolitan area where there are many, many flights but we always fly in the day early. Same when we've flown twice from our son's house in Seattle to LA.

But on the way home, we will take a calculated risk if there is an 11:00 flight available rather than sit in the airport all day. If something happens and we missed the flight we could always possibly catch that later flight or even get a hotel room if necessary.

Only if something happens which delays the flight you are on, which is why people recommend arriving the day before.

In addition to the many reasons listed to fly in at least a day ahead, I've also enough threads on CC since joining about people missing their ship in Vancouver because they got there late, and the ship left on time (due to tides and the bridge, from what I remember).

We always plan to get in early when leaving from any port other than LA (which we live close to).

There are non-stops the night before. Why not leave LAX on an 8pm flight??? If there's a problem that night, you still have wiggle-room

We prefer to take the risk on the way home. We live in the NY metropolitan area where there are many, many flights but we always fly in the day early. Same when we've flown twice from our son's house in Seattle to LA.

But on the way home, we will take a calculated risk if there is an 11:00 flight available rather than sit in the airport all day. If something happens and we missed the flight we could always possibly catch that later flight or even get a hotel room if necessary.

That sort of risk is reasonable -- a missed flight home might cost a delay of up to a day, but a missed/delayed flight to a cruise can mean loss of possibly several days cruising plus huge extra costs catching up with the ship -- the odds of something going wrong are the same, but the loss to

you if it does go wrong is immeasurably larger. A risky bet is only OK if the stakes are small enough to laugh about.

Never tell anyone that things will be fine whether it be cruise related or otherwise. You don't know that.

If they miss their flight or their luggage is lost, are you going to be there to comfort them?

Another question--If the OP misses the ship in Vancouver............

Could she run afoul with the Passengers Service Act especially if their cruise is Northbound ending in Seward/Anchorage? The one Northbound cruise we took was entirely in the US with the exception of Vancouver.

If she booked cruiseair I would assume the cruiseline would pick up the $300pp fine.

Archived