Breakfast in the MDR

But even the MDR cant seem to perfect Eggs Benedict every day.

They never came out the same way, lol. One day they were perfect, the rest varied between 10% cooked to way overcooked and were never perfect again.

We do like the MDR for the peace and service it offers comparatively to the WJ.

I FINALLY talked DH into breakfast in the MDR. He now totally agrees with me. Quiet, elegant, no searching for a table, so much better to get a served hot breakfast made to order. There also was a small buffet in the Voyager MDR in January which was a plus for DH. :rolleyes:

We, too, love the dining room atmosphere for breakfast...it sure beats serving yourself, and searching for everything from a clean table to butter or syrup! I like that everything (condiment-wise) is brought to you or is on the table.

Not a fan of buffets at all.

we, too, love the dining room atmosphere for breakfast...it sure beats serving yourself, and searching for everything from a clean table to butter or syrup! I like that everything (condiment-wise) is brought to you or is on the table.

ditto!!

First time cruiser here...so please excuse this potentially silly/redundant question!

Is breakfast in the MDR an extra cost? If it is included in the fare it seems silly that everyone would cram into Windjammer when a superior meal is being served for "free" elsewhere.

First time cruiser here...so please excuse this potentially silly/redundant question!

Is breakfast in the MDR an extra cost? If it is included in the fare it seems silly that everyone would cram into Windjammer when a superior meal is being served for "free" elsewhere.

Breakfast in the MDR is free. A good number of people order room service for breakfast on their balcony (also quiet and free) and the rest like going to the WJ since it's so close to the pool deck (quicker to find a chair after breakfast or easier to hog one before). ;) On some ships, like Allure & Oasis, there are other free options for breakfast, such as Park Cafe, Johnny Rockets, and the donut shop.

It is not an extra cost to have breakfast in the MDR. Don't worry about everyone "cramming" into the WJ for breakfast either. There are many of us who prefer breakfast in the WJ. I prefer a fresh omellete made to order in front of me and hot toast than having to wait in the MDR for something to be pulled from heating trays. I also like the variety in the WJ. Contrary to what one poster constantly post, there is no searching for syrup and butter in the WJ, it is right beside the items that you would need it for, how convenient.:rolleyes:

Give both a try and make your own decision. Room service is also a great option too.:)

When I've asked people why they go to the buffet the answer I usually get is the MDR breakfast takes too long. I personally LOVE it.... great stress free start to the day. I don't like buffets because the food is mass produced and sits under a warmer thus not as good.

I agree breakfast in the MDR is much better and more relaxing of course, why do they close the MDR breakfast around 10:00? What time is the

MDR now open until for breakfast and what time is breakfast served till in the windjammer?

Yes, it is free and be aware that they will seat you at a table with others. I do not like to sit with others at breakfast so you can just ask for a table alone if that suits you.

I am a crab before my morning coffee and not fit to talk to anyone.

On the Independence of the Seas MDR deck 4 was cooked breakfast, MDR deck 3 was buffet. Both absolutely serene especially compared to the WJ (which I'll never do for breakfast again. Ever!) We also discovered that the Cafe Promenade, which daily offers a very light breakfast (sweet rolls/coffee/tea), was open on disembarkation day. A pleasant surprise and not crowded at all. A nice way to end our cruise.

Thank you for all the quick and informative responses everyone. We will definitely try out the MDR and Windjammer. I am not a fan of breakfast buffets generally. It is too early in the day for me to be willing to deal with navigating crowds, finding a seat, etc. Maybe if we go early enough it won't be too bad. I do love the idea of having a nice sit down breakfast in the MDR. I don't care if I'm seated with others. I talk to complete strangers all the time. Heck, maybe we will even do room service one day. It's a short cruise so maybe we can try all of the various breakfast experiences.

We ask for a table to ourselves in the MDR for breakfast and always got one.

We also got omelets freshly made. And the french toast was great. They even had a cereal/granola/fresh fruit/yogurt bar in the center of the dining room. Loved that.

We only ate in the Windjammer once for breakfast and found it to be crowded. We also had room service for breakfast twice on our 11 day. On the third day we went to the MDR and ate there almost the rest of the cruise. It was relaxing and they came around with coffee right away. The buffet had diced fruit and a variety of granolas and toppings such as nuts and even flax seeds. I also loved the prepared Muesili.

You can also order from the breakfast menu. The MDR was well staffed. If you want to eat quickly you can.

BTW we also loved the MDR lunch which was open on sea days. Fantastic salad bar! Only issue was limited hours. :(

We, too, love the dining room atmosphere for breakfast...it sure beats serving yourself, and searching for everything from a clean table to butter or syrup! I like that everything (condiment-wise) is brought to you or is on the table.

We agree.

I can't ever seem to sleep in on a cruise. Always too excited to get out there so I take advantage of three breakfasts, all before many are awake. Room service coffee and fruit before early run/gym, then a small plate in the WJ before returning to the room. By then my husband should be awake so we shower and dress for a leasurely and relaxing breakfast in the MDR. Enjoy everything, and often! Just eat small portions. :)

It is not an extra cost to have breakfast in the MDR. Don't worry about everyone "cramming" into the WJ for breakfast either. There are many of us who prefer breakfast in the WJ. I prefer a fresh omellete made to order in front of me and hot toast than having to wait in the MDR for something to be pulled from heating trays. I also like the variety in the WJ. Contrary to what one poster constantly post, there is no searching for syrup and butter in the WJ, it is right beside the items that you would need it for, how convenient.:rolleyes:

Give both a try and make your own decision. Room service is also a great option too.:)

I'm with you in preferring breakfast in the Windjammer buffet for several reasons:

- We like to eat as soon as we get up, and the buffet is already open; the MDR often means a wait for us.

- We don't like sharing a table with strangers at breakfast. That's just too early to be polite and make nice conversation with people we don't know.

- Except for the last day of the cruise, when everyone's trying to eat fast and leave the ship, we've never encountered crowds at breakfast in the buffet.

- We get our food right away -- no waiting for a seat, no waiting for the waiter, no waiting for him to come back with the food. So we're in and out much faster.

- The selection is always better in the buffet. In particular, we were surprised to find that we adore the Miso soup that's always available in the Jade section. The menu doesn't change much from day-to-day, but it's breakfast -- it's not going to change much.

- I don't know why anyone finds it necessary to wander here and there in search of condiments. They're all located near the appropriate foods and at the "end" of the main buffet station.

The quality of MOST of the food in the two venues is quite similar. The buffet has the edge in that you can get cooked-to-order eggs (or an omlet) made right in front of you, while the MDR is clearly better for "bread breakfasts" such as pancakes or French toast. Other things are really quite equal.

We'll go to the MDR once or twice during a cruise; we'll go on days when we want Eggs Benedict (though we're always disappointed because it isn't nearly as good as what I make at home) or for the chocolate breakfast day, but MOST DAYS we'll be at the buffet.

In contrast, we prefer the MDR for lunch and dinner.

Totally agree with this- WJ is a great place for breakfast- even made to order omelets. I rarely if ever have trouble finding seats, but I can see during peek times, maybe some do. Keep looking- eventually you find something. I have wanted to do the main dining room but every ship Ive been on so far (Carnival, RCI, NCL) all quit breakfast around 1030- WJ goes a little later. I sometimes even miss breakfast since while on vacation I sleep in often and am not ready for public consumption much before 11am.

I have always been a MDR person for breakfast. I don't like buffets, crowds, searching for a table, having to get up every time I want a refill on a drink, etc. It's also difficult when you have a child with you, as you have to go get his food first, then your own, then your spouse goes to get his...it's like eating in 3 different shifts.

However, I will say that on my recent Oasis cruise, I found the MDR to be terrible. The service was unbearably slow. We were not in a hurry, and were happy to have a relaxing breakfast. But when it takes 55 minutes just to get some eggs (and then they came out luke warm)...it's frustrating, not relaxing. Does anyone really find it relaxing to wait an hour before the food is delivered? The quality of food in the MDR at breakfast was also not on par with my previous experiences. Maybe we just hit it on bad days...who knows.

Archived